What Are Your Hurdles/Excuses For Not Practicing?

The only hurdle is age. I learned a few years ago that too much practice will hurt your joints.
I do practice a few times a week (sim in the garage and a 10 foot putting mat) But full swings never on back to back days ( In the sim). It doesn’t make sense, but I can play out on the course back to back and more, but not in the sim. Probably because you play out on the course in 3 to 4 hours so you have some recovery between shots but play 18 on the sim in an hour. 

I don’t hit balls on the range (at least at my course) The range is built on a swamp but it is still very soft. Everything plugs and the balls are trash. I rather set the sim to driving range mode and hit four or five balls with each club. Then putt for 10 minutes.

Well off to play golf now it’s up to 50 degrees from 38 when I woke up.

Edited by Tom the Golf Nut

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:cobra-small: Irons, Tour UST Recoil 95 R Flex (6 - Gap)

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

:cobra-small: Agera 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

the weather.... other than that I - at least - hit 25 balls every day in my backyard. It's 60-70 yards deep.

my belief is that if you want to be good at something you have to do it every day, at least once.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

For me, it's the lack of decent practice facilities. 

Living in Key West, space is a premium.  Any land that could be used for a practice facility has been long since developed into housing.   I live in less than 1000 square feet, two bedrooms house, so no chance of using that valuable space to install any indoor practice capability.  My lot size is small (3600 square feet), so it's tough to fit in an outdoor net and hitting area.  I however did install a 6x14' putting green and chipping pad on the only space I had available.

ChippingPadwithFlags.jpg.12eb4c71e3e48697e1dda4a4c1326a1e.jpg

Our only 18-hole golf course for 160 miles has a small putting green, a chipping area and a netted cage with about 6-8 hitting areas.  It's about 60 yards long and one and a half stories high.  However, the balls are not cleaned, are always dirty and can't be picked up on my Rapsodo launch monitor.  

So any practicing I do is somewhat limited to putting and chipping at home or at the course.  It's not surprising that both are a strong part of my game.

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

1 hour ago, TJ Hall said:

How has the net/mat from Costco held up?  Saw that the other day and currently strongly considering it.

The mat is still in good shape. I'll lean it up against the house when weather is coming and i don't forget. 

I am on my 2nd net. If I'm practicing the driver, I'll hang up a cut out portion out the first net in front out the new. 

20240324_121620.jpg.49a4e00c4454b1fb1a8f8c3e79e5a356.jpg

Edited by ZJeb67
Add pic

Driver/3H :callaway-small: Mavrik 22
5H/SW: :callaway-small:Edge 
5-PW: :macgregor-small: MT-86 OS
56/60: Kirkland Signature 
Putter: :odyssey-small: White Hot Pro

I have a pretty good outdoor net 7' H x10' W and a decent mat that I have painted with setup and swing path (to help my occasional OTT) lines. I usually play 3x/wk and always hit balls between rounds and plus a few before I leave the house. In the winter, I move my net into my basement (8" ceiling) along with my mat and hit balls 3-4x/wk for 45 min depending the weather as we try to play golf if the temperature is north of 35*. I'm guessing from some of these comments that I'm overdoing it and should cut back on my practicing. I have lots of back issues that cause me lots of grief and frustration. I do lots of stretching before hitting balls or playing. At my age, 83 y/o, and golf is pretty important in my life and allows me to maintain segments of my prior skill level. As I write this, I realize that I will definitely cut back which will probably help my game.

It’s all time.

I don’t want to miss out on time with my family…now that my wife and daughter are more interested in playing / practicing it becomes more fun and more frequent.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

2 hours ago, MarkDeW said:

Weather, age, and health. It takes time for my joints to recover. Right now, it's mainly due to the cold temps. 

Ditto, the winter before last I hit a simulator a bunch and it was great.  When the weather finally broke I was in great shape and good form to start the season.  This past fall I messed up my elbow trimming a tree for hunting (tennis elbow, tendon issue) and I  developed some neck shoulder pain also, both on my right/trail arm.  Tried to hit the Sim once and neck and shoulder were killing me after.  Ended up doing PT for both elbow and shoulder for a few weeks.  Elbow got better, shoulder not so much.  I hit the Sim the other day and I sucked, but I felt ok after, so that is good.  I do have a 9 foot putting green from Amazon that I practice on almost daily, since I am in IT and work from home 100%

Edited by Skrizan
Mistake

PING G410 Driver and 3 metal, Callaway Hybrids, Cobra F7 irons, Callaway wedges, Scotty Cameron Phantom X7.5

1 hour ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I learned a few years ago that too much practice will hurt your joints.

I have figured out that it is the mat that causes pain to the joints.  I quit practicing at the range as much because I was having the same issues.  Now, I will maybe spend one afternoon/morning at the range and then I head out to the course and will pick spots to drop a handful of balls and practice my shots on the course.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

Laziness is the easy answer. But I’m pretty sure there’s a medical issue causing me to not do stuff I enjoy, not just golf.
I have a new net and hitting mat for the garage, but they’ve both been in their boxes for several months tied to this same issue.
I need to figure out exactly what the issue is so I can get it fixed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

In My Sun Mountain C-130 'merica Cart Bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth+ Rocket 3W, 13.5* turned down to 12.75*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 75g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 3w, 15*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX, 70g
Fairway: :Sub70: 949x 5w, 18*, Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX, 60g
Hybrid: :Sub70: 939x 4H (21*), Stiff :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black, 90g
Irons: :Takomo: 101's, 5-PW, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Wedges: :Sub70: 286 @ 50*, JBFG @ 54* & 60*, :truetemper: DG120 S300
Putter: :Sub70: 002 Mid-Mallet @ 35", Super Stroke Pistol GT 2.0, Desert Camo
Ball: :maxfli: Tour & Testing :OnCore: Vero X1
Technology: :ShotScope: H4 w/ Tags, Pro L2 Rangefinder

1 minute ago, Josh Parker said:

I have figured out that it is the mat that causes pain to the joints.  I quit practicing at the range as much because I was having the same issues.  Now, I will maybe spend one afternoon/morning at the range and then I head out to the course and will pick spots to drop a handful of balls and practice my shots on the course.  

I agree the mat can definitely hurt, especially with the over the top, too steep swing I have been fighting for years.

PING G410 Driver and 3 metal, Callaway Hybrids, Cobra F7 irons, Callaway wedges, Scotty Cameron Phantom X7.5

2 minutes ago, Skrizan said:

I agree the mat can definitely hurt, especially with the over the top, too steep swing I have been fighting for years.

Even if it's only a few shots that are a little steep, the impact/shock doesn't give like the ground does.  Shoot even in the middle of summer when our ground is super firm, it gives more.

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I’d say laziness, but it’s not. This weekend was house work. During the week it’s work, having to drive an hour minimum one way to and from. I try to practice putting in the office though. But sometimes work is not conducive. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

Right now there are a few factors weighing in! There is the random snow here in Wisconsin! I have two sick kids right now! Work Saturdays! I’m in school (Online)! Lack of motivation! ADHD fits in there! Also waiting on the delivery of some beautiful golf balls!

#GoBallsOutAlways #GoRickieGo

Driver:      :Sub70:849 Pro-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0-NO1 50 Series Grip
Fairway:   :Sub70:949X-:projectx:HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 70 6.0 (1/2 inch short)-NO1 50 Series Grip
Driving Irons:     :Sub70:699 Pro 2-:truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips

Irons:     Custom:Sub70: 639 CB 5-Pw :truetemper: DG S400- NO1 50 Series Grips   
Wedges:   WedgeFx 52,56,60-:truetemper: DG S400Shafts-NO1 50 Series Grips 
Putter:      :Sub70: Sycamore 007-NO1 P90 Pistol Grip
Ball:           :odin:X1

Bag:     Side Street- Back9 Backpack Bag

Link to my Bag Boy ZTF Review!

9 hours ago, cnosil said:

If I have something scheduled I make it work.  Lesson or going to do most wanted testing (but that really isn't practice).   During the week after getting off work I just don't have the motivation to drive to the course.  I need to setup things at home to practice.   I practice putting because I can do that in my living room;  just setup a station and/or use my ExPutt.  

at least you are doing something, that is good, how far are you from your course?

committed to performance excellence

35 minutes ago, Jim Shaw said:

at least you are doing something, that is good, how far are you from your course?

I am about 20 minutes from the closest range.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Seems to be the general vibe in here - work, family, time... 
I live 5 minutes from my local course and most days I'm to knackered to head there and aimlessly hit balls. 

If only I was really good at golf and earn millions of dollars...

A big hurdle for me recently is just balancing everything in life. Finding a spare hour or two to practice is tricky. Especially when wanting to give my wife a break from the kids and just some time to herself. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Recently? Back and knee pain flaring up is making things tough. Been seeing a physio, which has helped a bit, but still making it tough.

Driver - :cobra-small: King SZ 1w 7.5° w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 110MSI 60x

Woods - :cobra-small:King SZ Big Tour 3w 13.5° w/ Fujikura Pro 65, King SZ 5w 20° w/ Tensei CK White 70

Driving Iron - :cobra-small: King Utility 2i 16° w/ Project X Hzrdus Black 85

Irons - :callaway-small: Apex '24 Combo set - 4i Pro, 5i-8i CB, 9i-10i MB w/ KBS Tour V 120 X-Stiff

Wedges - :callaway-small: MD5 Jaws 52° - S 10° grind, 56° - C 8° grind, 60° - C 8° grind w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner Tour Issue 115

Putter(s) - :odyssey-small: :callaway-small: :scotty-small: :titleist-small: :ping-small:  :nike-small: :wilson-small: O-Works 2 Ball Black, Big Bertha Warbird, Special Select Squareback 2.0, Red X2, Bullseye Original Flange SC, Bullseye Standard Flange SC, OG Bronze Anser, Method Midnight 007, R.Mendralla 8802

I have the luxury of only having to work 4 days a week and work within 2 miles of a golf course with a small practice facility so i practice atleast 3 days a week now. 4 to 5 when in gets warmer i live in cincinnati so it gets freaking cold, but those days i skip i can only chalk it up to laziness i try not to make excuses when my games not on point because im the only person to blame. Although i did snap a driver shaft at tpc myrtle beach it was a bad day i shot a 93.

Definitely age. I play 4/5 days a week when there isn't snow on the ground, and there just aren't many more swings in my back, hands, hips. Even prolonged putting will aggravate things. Probably go the range 1 or 2 times a month if it seems my swing is really out of wack. Will focus on grip, stance, alignment until I hit a few solid ones -20/30 balls- and thats it for practice.

Am 77, retired and have the time.  Guess that mine is hurdles more that excuses.  Have major lower back issues.  Spend a lot of time time doing exercises and physical therapy so that I can play golf.  This allows me three days a week, M/W/F, to play, and can only ride a cart due to pulmonary issues.  Use to be heavy smoker, fortunately NOT COPD.  I do small warm up balls on days I play golf.  My doctors say to enjoy the game and not to overdo it.   Take what I can get and move on.  Hakuna matata.   

Driver - TSi3 10.75* - Fujikura Speeder 661 TR

Fairway - TSi2 14.25* - Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 

Fairway - TSR1 17.0* - Fujikura Vista Pro 65S

Hybrid - TSR1 19.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75  

Hybrid - TSR1 23.0* - Fujikura Atmos Red Tour 75

Irons - T350 (2023) - 5-48W - True Temper AMT Red 95g-107g

Wedges - Vokey SM9 - 52.08F, 56.10S, 58.08M 

**  GolfPride MCC +4 Midsize Grips  (all woods/irons/wedges)

Putter - 2023 Scotty Cameron Super Select Squareback 2 35" 

**  Superstroke 1.0 Pistol Grip  

Golf Ball - TITLEIST - Prov1 (2023)                                                         

Golf Bags - TITLEIST  - Cart 14 (black), Mid Size Tour (black/white)

Golf Glove - FootJoy (StaSof), Shoes, Apparel and Outerwear        

Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE

Winter weather. I try and hit a bunch of putts in my apartment, and a few wedge swings but I don't have any ball flight feedback. Living in  Minnesota I don't know of a place where I can go hit balls that don't cost 40-50 dollars an hour in the winter time. 

A.Sjoberg 

It used to be work, wife, and/or kids when I was younger and lived 10 miles from the nearest course.  Now that I live next to one, the wife wants me out of the house more, so it is just weather and/or an aching body!

Driver, 5W, 4H, 5H, 6I - 9I, PW, AW:  Callaway Rogue ST Max

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* Satin Low, 54* Black High, 50* Raw Mid

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot OG 7S 

Balls:  Pro-V1 from March - October

Supersoft from November - February

Cart: Sun Mountain Speed Cart circa 2004

New Dad to a six month old who spends most of day at daycare so it’s tough to leave for an hour/hour and a half when I only have 3 hours a day with her.  I do take an hour lesson weekly and will putt in the basement whenever I can. 

IMG_3307.jpeg

Cobra Aerojet
Ping G425 2 Hybrid
Taylormade SIM Max irons and Hi-TOE wedges

Odyssey Triple Track TenS

I have to go with laziness in the good weather months. Living near the tundra means the good weather months aren't all that long. I do practice putting in my basement. I too would rather play golf than just hit the range. My course is across the street from the 9th fairway, so it is hard not to just go play. Afterall, I have a season pass and it costs $10 for a small bucket at the range.

Coming back to golf

It's more of justifying the time from home and kids.  In season golf is usually twilight, dew sweeping or sunset golf. 

Winter means outdoor ranges/greens are closed.  Indoor range ($24/hr 40 mins away)/sims (25-45mins away $45-$60/hr) which can get cost prohibitive multiple times a week.  Considering in season (apr 15- oct 15) membership at my golf course is $650 including range. I know pretty cheap.

I can 10' putt and chip at home in my basement, and I have a net for warm weather.

reading my text it's all excuses.

:cobra-small: LTDx LS 9° Hzrdus Blue 6.0s

:srixon-small:z65 3W 15° Miyazaki Kaula 6s  :honma: XP1 5W 17.5 Vizard 63s :tour-edge: E722 7W Tensei Blue 7s 

:mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 6i-PW Nippon 105s  S23 50°/ T22 54° 58°

:cobra-small: Vintage Stingray :garsen: Quad Tour NT

:OnCore: Elixr 22     :wilson_staff_small:Triad