PGA Championship 2024

Splatt

4 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

I'm not buying that at all, if anything he'll probably be playing even freer. His personal life didn't impact his win last week and aside from news being made public now, I'm betting literally nothing has changed on his side. 

This has been living in his brain for months. Agreed Russ, that if there’s anything preventing him from winning it likely won’t be his personal life. 

It'll be his short game that’ll determine whether he can contend. 

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

I think this is a real test for Scottie, after going through the emotional highs of winning and the birth of his new son. If he can pull this one off there should be no doubt that he is the Golfer of the Year. That being said Rory is playing lights out right now, but I can’t remember the last time he won 2 in a row, plus with his pending divorce out in the open there is sure to be lots of media pressure. I personally am going with a dark horse to win, either Cantlay or Schauffle. I am secretly(maybe not so much) rooting for Spieth to wake up and put the championship away!!!

Didn't Rory win two majors in the same year he broke off his engagement. I feel like the divorce only makes his odds better. 

Driver:   G425 Max w/Hzardous im10
Fairway:  M4 3 wood w/fujikura atmos Cobra LTDx 5 wood w/hzrdous im10 shaft
Hybrids:  G425  max 3 hybrid w/alta cb      
Irons:      P790 4-pw  w/ dynamic gold 95
Wedge:   50 degree MG4 54/58 degree MG3 w/dynamic gold r300
Putter:   white hot versa double bend seven 

I am leaning Homa, mostly cause I don't want to just pick a favorite. I would love to see Aberg pull it off too. I wouldn't be surprised to see Cam Smith, JR or Brooks up there on Sunday though. I'd say Bryson but I think the rough is just too penalizing for his game.

Just your "normal" obsessed golfer in search of more shots with names of flying critters...

I find it a bit odd that people think Scottie just having his kid would be a bad thing. Dude is on a high right now I would think that will last a while. Guess we will see.

Just your "normal" obsessed golfer in search of more shots with names of flying critters...

I’m all in on BK. This course suits his game and he’s coming off a win. 

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Posted (edited)

Honestly with the LIV guys in the tiers they are in, it was really hard not to pick them up in the forum pool compared to the rest of players in their tiers. BK seems like a good pick.

Edited by johngschulz

WITB:
Driver: Callaway Epic Speed 11*
4 wood: Titleist 975f 16.5*
7 wood: Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead III
Irons: 5-PW Maltby DBM Forged, Nippon Pro Modus 120s
Wedges: 50* PING S159 S-12 | 54* PING S159 S-12 | 58*: PING S159 T-6
Putter: PING Sigma G Kinloch C

Forum Tests and Reviews:

Jason Day loving his resurgence and no putts like him.

Sleeper pick: Jake Knapp… 

Driver: Mizuno Stz

Fairway: Titliest 9115 3 Wood

Irons: Callaway Legacy Black 4-PW

Wedges: Vokeys

Putter: Phantom 5.5

Ball: ProV or Chrome Tour X

I gotta go Rory(he's gotta be due right???) or Cam Smith, Cam is always sneaky and playing well. 

Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 3-PW, Steel, Stiff flex

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS, stiff flex, usually play 9.5

Fairway: Cobra Aerojet Max, 3W, stiff flex

Wedge: Titleist Vokey SM8  52,56,58

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab Mallet

Right Handed

Fishers, Indiana

HDCP: 18

Scottie will dust off the rust and win....  my sentimental pick is Spieth to win the PGA and get the Grand Slam!

Titleist TSR2 10 degree with Ventus Blue 6S

Callaway Super Hybrid 2H VA Slay 85 Stiff

Callaway Super Hybrid 3H 

Srixon ZX 23* -4 driving iron - Aerotech Steelfiber I95 S

Srixon MKII ZX5 (5-A) - Aerotech Steelfiber I95 S

Bettinardi (54, 58)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5S

I think Rory Mcilroy will play well this week and win it and if not him Scotty Scheffler will be in the mix.

Taylormade (Lefty)

Driver Stealth 2 9.0 degree with Ventus stiff shaft

3 wood Stealth 2 Plus with Ventus shaft

Stealth 2 3 - 4 Hybrid with Ventus shaft

Irons 2023 P790's with KBS tour lite 110gram shafts 5 - PW

M4 Wedges 58/54/50 degrees with KBS tourlite shafts

Putter Scotty Cameron Studio 2 black with blue writing.

Hard not to go with Scottie as everytime he steps on the course he gives us a show.  But I also think it's time for someone else to shine...maybe Jason Day, Jake Knapp or Sahith Theegala.

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

🤣

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS 9.5
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- Titleist 718 AP2 (6i-50*)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Axis1 TourHM
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Not sure Scottie can do it with one of the most important events in his life happening, likely transforming his soul and his outlook on life and himself in real time off the course.   BUT, I will be pulling for him like crazy!  Grand Slam babyyyy!!!!

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus, :Fuji: Ventus TR Black Velocore 6X.
3W: :taylormade-small: Sim Max, :accra: FX 2.0 200 M3.
3I-PW: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Pro, :Fuji: Axiom Velocore 105 X.
Wedges: 47*, 51*, 55*, 59*: Edison Forged Wedges, Mitsubishi MMT 125g TX.
Putter: :L.A.B.:  DF 2.1
Current Ball:  2022 Chromesoft X as recommended for me by :ping-small: Ballnamic system (highly recommended).
Previous Balls:  Z-Star Divide, Pro V1, Maxfli Tour, TM TP5 Pix, Pro V1x, Vice Pro Soft, Cut Blue ... (See Why!)
Accessories: Shoes: Asics Gel-Kayano Ace (Greatest golf shoes on the planet). Watch: Garmin Approach S60. Glove: Kirkland Signature.  Bag: MNML. 
Cart: Foresight Sports ForeCaddy Smart Cart (Unofficial Review).
Previous MGS Tester for: Kid Caddie

I'm going with Scottie, Rory, Aberg, Xander and Morikawa to all be in or around on the weekend with Aberg getting his first major. Wouldn't be surprised if it was any of them though.

DR:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Callaway Mavrik Sub Zero 9* w/ GD Tour AD W-60 S

3W:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Callaway Epic Speed 13.5* w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke IM10 6.0

5W:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Callaway Epic Speed 18* w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke IM10 6.0

4i-PW:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Razr X Forged w/ Project X 6.0

52°/10°S, 56°/8°C & 60°/8°C:  image.png.5c19d49c43a50cdd92085ac68c4cdeda.png  Jaws MD5 Tour Grey w/ TT Dynamic Gold Tour Issue 115 S200

P:  image.png.6b0c0910f5c4dad993eeb3a67e0487b0.png  Studio Select Newport 2.6

Ball:  image.png.0f2de9e80ec97647e7e71165ce5bc99d.png  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1X

Bag:  sunmountain.png.fbfcaedc370ac8cb47e34532ce3b2643.png C-130S Stand Bag

Other: image.png.40b3f95c9dbdadb6967fc9727d0db6d4.png Arccos Smart Sensors

I have a tip that can take five strokes off anyone's game. It's called an eraser.  -Arnold Palmer

Posted (edited)

Dark horse: Colin Morikawa.  Just got a feeling.

Favorite: Brooks Koepka. Always comes to the majors with a fire in his gut.

Best of the bunch but unlikely: Scotty Scheffler. New son.  However, if he does win he could be the next Jack Nicklaus. Fingers crossed.

Sentimental pick:  Rory McElroy.  Break the majors drought, kid! 

Personally, I hope that I'm wrong about my favorite.  I would like to see zero LIV golfers in the top 20.  LIV golfers in the PGA Championship?   Ridiculous.  They left the PGA - okay, maybe they were suspended. But c'mon, they made their choice.

Edited by GolferXY

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1X
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
4- HYBRID: Stealth 2, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - W, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Titleist SM9 52, 56, 60
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max Broomstick
BAG: Ping Pioneer 
CART: MGI electric

14 minutes ago, GolferXY said:

Dark horse: Colin Morikawa.  Just got a feeling.

Favorite: Brooks Koepka. Always comes to the majors with a fire in his gut.

Best of the bunch but unlikely: Scotty Scheffler. New son.  However, if he does win he could be the next Jack Nicklaus. Fingers crossed.

Sentimental pick:  Rory McElroy.  Break the majors drought, kid! 

Personally, I hope that I'm wrong about my favorite.  I would like to see zero LIV golfers in the top 20.  LIV golfers in the PGA Championship?   Ridiculous.  They left the PGA - okay, maybe they were suspended. But c'mon, they made their choice.

Just for historical reference, LIV golfers left the PGA Tour (and other tours around the globe).  PGA Championship is run by the PGA of America, not the PGA Tour.  The PGA Tour was founded by golfers that broke away from the PGA of America.  The PGA Tour was LIV before LIV was LIV.  PGA Tour members do not need to be PGA of America members.  So by your reasoning only PGA of America members should be allowed to play.

Driver - Titleist 917 Speeder 757 X-Flex

Woods/Hybrids - Titleist 913 series Aldila Riptide X-Flex 

Irons - 710/712 CB/MB Combo Set TTDG X100 & S300

Wedges - Vokey 52/56/60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 1.0

Just got home from Vahalla. I've been on this spinning rock for 40 years and that's the 1st time I've been able to go see the pros! Even though it was a practice round it was worth every penny! I pretty much followed Keopka, Daly, Knapp around for the back 9. I saw Rory tee off on 15 as soon as I got there. The power these guys have is crazy, and their swings seem so effortless! I'll try to post the videos, but here are some pics.20240515_095843.jpg.b8cc1c53d01089235c98dc4f12daa03a.jpg20240515_115505.jpg.18c53edacac8252c8934d9c6f6429aa3.jpg20240515_084814.jpg.5bbaa8fa68f79c7d338d949d9729056c.jpg20240515_092904.jpg.790b9befc70f02b2325bd5fecef6bf84.jpg

Scott J

PXG Driver, AP2 irons, Cleveland wedges and Odyssey white ice 2.0

The PGA had a pressser today.  PGA officer Seth Waugh expressed relief that the ball is being rolled back instead of the ruling bodies implementing bifurcation.  Waugh:  "We don't want our professionals checking everybody's balls on the first tee."  He didn't address what the process would have been for women.😜

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Marty2shanks said:

Just for historical reference, LIV golfers left the PGA Tour (and other tours around the globe).  PGA Championship is run by the PGA of America, not the PGA Tour.  The PGA Tour was founded by golfers that broke away from the PGA of America.  The PGA Tour was LIV before LIV was LIV.  PGA Tour members do not need to be PGA of America members.  So by your reasoning only PGA of America members should be allowed to play.

Good catch.  I looked up the eligibility requirements after your post.  A player must be a member of the PGA of America.

The championship’s bylaws had required players to be PGA of America members in order to play in the PGA Championship, a status they gain through their membership on the PGA Tour. Two years ago at Kiawah Island, Waugh said those who were banned or suspended by the tour would likely lose their PGA of America privileges, keeping them out of the PGA Championship and Ryder Cup. Last May at Southern Hills, Waugh said his Kiawah comments “still stand.” - Golf Digest

However, PGAA has given special invites to several LIV golfers who wouldn't qualify via the routes listed below.

As of 2023, the PGA Championship has the following eligibility requirements:
Former winner of the PGA Championship
Winner of the last five U.S. Opens (2018-2022)
Winner of the last five Masters (2019-2023)
Winner of the last five Open Championships (2017-2022)
Winner of the last three The Players Championships (2021-2023)
Top three on the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) International Federation Ranking List
Current Senior PGA Champion
Low 15 scorers and ties in the previous PGA Championship
20 low scorers in the last PGA Professional Championship
70 leaders in PGA Championship points list (based on official money earned on the PGA Tour since the previous PGA Championship) 

Other ways to qualify for the tournament include:

Winning any of the PGA Tour's flagship events, such as The Players Championship, WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play, Arnold Palmer Invitational, and Genesis Invitational, within the past year
Winning any PGA Tour event between the previous year's PGA Championship and the current year's event

Edited by GolferXY

-XY

Not taking anything away from the so called experts, but come Sunday, there is a good chance that the winner will be someone no one even thought or talked about.

Driver: Ping G430 SFT 10.5

Fairway Woods: Ping SFT G425 3-5

Hybrid   Ping G410 4H

Irons;    Ping G425 5-LW

Putter:  Ping Anser 2           

Ball:      Titleist Tour Speed/AVX

Bag:      Titleist

46 minutes ago, Hook DeLoft said:

The PGA had a pressser today.  PGA officer Seth Waugh expressed relief that the ball is being rolled back instead of the ruling bodies implementing bifurcation.  Waugh:  "We don't want our professionals checking everybody's balls on the first tee."  He didn't address what the process would have been for women.😜

I see what you did there. 👏🏼

Be interesting to see how much cost, if any, is incurred by non-championship courses that don’t have massive revenues if they have to extend a number of fairways back towards tee boxes that they’ve just let grow out in recent years. 

51 minutes ago, GolferXY said:

Good catch.  I looked up the eligibility requirements after your post.  A player must be a member of the PGA of America.

The championship’s bylaws had required players to be PGA of America members in order to play in the PGA Championship, a status they gain through their membership on the PGA Tour. Two years ago at Kiawah Island, Waugh said those who were banned or suspended by the tour would likely lose their PGA of America privileges, keeping them out of the PGA Championship and Ryder Cup. Last May at Southern Hills, Waugh said his Kiawah comments “still stand.” - Golf Digest

However, PGAA has given special invites to several LIV golfers who wouldn't qualify via the routes listed below.

As of 2023, the PGA Championship has the following eligibility requirements:
Former winner of the PGA Championship
Winner of the last five U.S. Opens (2018-2022)
Winner of the last five Masters (2019-2023)
Winner of the last five Open Championships (2017-2022)
Winner of the last three The Players Championships (2021-2023)
Top three on the Official World Golf Ranking (OWGR) International Federation Ranking List
Current Senior PGA Champion
Low 15 scorers and ties in the previous PGA Championship
20 low scorers in the last PGA Professional Championship
70 leaders in PGA Championship points list (based on official money earned on the PGA Tour since the previous PGA Championship) 

Other ways to qualify for the tournament include:

Winning any of the PGA Tour's flagship events, such as The Players Championship, WGC-Dell Technologies Match Play, Arnold Palmer Invitational, and Genesis Invitational, within the past year
Winning any PGA Tour event between the previous year's PGA Championship and the current year's event

The PGAA has a test-out option to gain A-3 status, one of which is being a member of the PGA Tour (and other various Tours).  This is basically like giving someone an honorary degree, and it would come after earning status on the PGA Tour.  PGAA makes a big deal about the 20 members that qualify to play in the PGA Championship every year.  If all the PGA Tour players were true “PGAA members”, why make a big deal about the 20?

That all being said, I also don’t believe the LIV format is conducive to effective play at major championships.  I think the longer players are away from the PGA Tour medal play format, the worse they will compete.  

Driver - Titleist 917 Speeder 757 X-Flex

Woods/Hybrids - Titleist 913 series Aldila Riptide X-Flex 

Irons - 710/712 CB/MB Combo Set TTDG X100 & S300

Wedges - Vokey 52/56/60

Putter - Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 1.0

18 minutes ago, Marty2shanks said:

The PGAA has a test-out option to gain A-3 status, one of which is being a member of the PGA Tour (and other various Tours).  This is basically like giving someone an honorary degree, and it would come after earning status on the PGA Tour.  PGAA makes a big deal about the 20 members that qualify to play in the PGA Championship every year.  If all the PGA Tour players were true “PGAA members”, why make a big deal about the 20?

That all being said, I also don’t believe the LIV format is conducive to effective play at major championships.  I think the longer players are away from the PGA Tour medal play format, the worse they will compete.  

You really already saw a bit of this with this year’s masters vs last year.  Which i understand is a small sample size but i really wouldn’t be surprised if the rest of the majors continue that trend.  

Driver:   G425 Max w/Hzardous im10
Fairway:  M4 3 wood w/fujikura atmos Cobra LTDx 5 wood w/hzrdous im10 shaft
Hybrids:  G425  max 3 hybrid w/alta cb      
Irons:      P790 4-pw  w/ dynamic gold 95
Wedge:   50 degree MG4 54/58 degree MG3 w/dynamic gold r300
Putter:   white hot versa double bend seven 

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Marty2shanks said:

I agree. The LIV tournament set ups, not to mention they have so many fewer of them, equals less time in  Championship golf. Some may compete now, like Brooks and the Frenchman (my buddy's name for Bryson) but as you said, the longer they don't play Tour medal format, the less I expect they'll be able to handle it.

Edited by GolferXY

-XY

I think Aberg can finish top ten, 2-3 LIV players finish top 15, I think Finau and Hatton might surprise everyone with a top 10, and no surprise with Scottie in the winners circle. 

1. Driver Ping G5
  2. 3 Wood Ping G5
  3. 22 degree hybrid Ping G5
  4. Irons Ping G5 4-SW
  5. Putter Ping Anser 2
  6. Ball, anything that finds water

I was watching Mickelson's group and he's getting killed by the announcers. He hit into a fairway bunker on #5 and the announcer said, "Oy vey!" 🤣🤣

WITB

Calloway Hyper X Driver TaylorMade SIM2 Max D

Paradym 3-wood

Ping G430 3-hybrid

Ping G430 4-PW

Ping 50, 54, 58 wedges

Old ass putter from my old bag TP Hydro Blast Soto

I’m really believing that changing the PGA to May has given this tournament purpose once again.  Fans are out, leaderboard is looking great and the course looks outstanding.

• Srixon Z-Star XV