Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

IN FOR REVIEW! - Voice Caddie GPS

• SPY VIP

IN FOR REVIEW! - Voice Caddie GPS

GolfSpy Matt reviewed a similar product recently called the ShotMate.

This product is from a company called Voice Caddie. Just came in to the office about an hour ago...so I wanted to shoot a few photos for you guys to see. We will have a full review of it coming soon...but for now take a look and have a look around their website and tell them what you think. I'm sure they would love some pre-review feedback from all of you.

Wanna see if your course is already loaded up on the device? Click here

VISIT WEBSITE

voice-caddie-1.jpg

voice-caddie-2.jpg

voice-caddie-3.jpg

voice-caddie-4.jpg

voice-caddie-5.jpg

voice-caddie-6.jpg

voice-caddie-7.jpg

voice-caddie-8.jpg

voice-caddie-9.jpg

#TruthDigest

I've been a GPS user for a while now. I've had both golflogix and skycaddie units and when I saw these a little while back I was curious. I like the idea of clipping on a tiny device over toting around a larger one.

It looks like it only calls out distances to the center of the green, which is usually the only number I really care about, but my question for you is...

Does the lack of distances to hazards, and more importantly to me, distances to layup points (i.e. 190 to the dogleg - 240 to a 150 yd layup) detract from the usefulness of the unit during the course of play?

Thanks! Looking forward to your review.

Driver: Bridgestone J40 - 445

Woods: TEE - 4

Hybrids - Adams Super 19*/22*

Irons: Adams CB2

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11 54*/58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Sonoma

It looks like it only calls out distances to the center of the green, which is usually the only number I really care about, but my question for you is...

Does the lack of distances to hazards, and more importantly to me, distances to layup points (i.e. 190 to the dogleg - 240 to a 150 yd layup) detract from the usefulness of the unit during the course of play?

Thanks! Looking forward to your review.

Short answer: Yes.

The trade off is convenience, price, and simplicity.

It's all a matter of what the individual wants. The great thing is that there are so many products out there that you should be able to get EXACTLY what will fit your needs.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

An alternative to the GolfBuddy Voice, only gives you info to the front, mid and back of the green.

I was going to get a GB Voice, but the lack of distance to the hazards changed my mind. I got a laser range finder instead.

Works as intended and I only have problems in a couple of holes where I can't see the flag stick.

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

Agreed on all counts, however I think I should clarify that this really isn't a question, but more of a request to expand on the "peanut gallery". As more and more of these products enter the market place, you truly can find a device to meet anyone's needs. As with everything in life it's all about the trade offs between cost, convenience and functionality.

Looking at it from a "class of service" perspective, are the trade-offs worth the convenience/price to different types of player?

The player who has never had electronic distance information available to them - how much of a game changer is it? Ease of use - Could my mom use it without me having to spend hours explaining it? (Still regret getting her a smartphone) :)

From the perspective of the average player who usually has all the distance information available, and is looking to "simplify" the experience - will they really miss the extra details in real-world use.

And the more advanced player, is something like this a good backup in case their preferred device is unavailable?

Driver: Bridgestone J40 - 445

Woods: TEE - 4

Hybrids - Adams Super 19*/22*

Irons: Adams CB2

Wedges: Mizuno MP-T11 54*/58*

Putter: Scotty Cameron Sonoma

I don't know if I would pay for just "center of the green", I've become pretty spoiled by my SkyCaddy.

However, I do like several things about this device, the price and the size in particular. At $139 its at least 50% less than most good GPS units or range finders,which seems pretty fair to me for what it does. I don't know if I'd like the voice feature or not. I can't say I'm against the idea of it, I guess I'd just have to try it.

I'd like to see reviews from people that use other GPS units and lasers.

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

I don't know if I would pay for just "center of the green", I've become pretty spoiled by my SkyCaddy.

However, I do like several things about this device, the price and the size in particular. At $139 its at least 50% less than most good GPS units or range finders,which seems pretty fair to me for what it does. I don't know if I'd like the voice feature or not. I can't say I'm against the idea of it, I guess I'd just have to try it.

I'd like to see reviews from people that use other GPS units and lasers.

My wife and her playing partner won a Golf Buddy voice each as a golf prize. She gave it to me for my 75th birthday coming up in a couple of weeks.

I've used it for my last 5 rounds and find it excellent for what it does. I've fitted on to my trundler handle so it's handily visible.

The distance to the flag is my main interest and that's what it does. The fact that it doesn't tell me how far to some other spot means I'm no worse off that

I was before I got it.

You can alter the reading for front/ center/ back of green when you can see what the flag indicates.

A major plus is no charge for updates. I do notice that most of the courses for New Zealand were recorded in 2010. I guess if a course has a major

redesign the club could advise Golf Buddy??

A real test was when I helped measuring our course for a junior course. We checked and crossed over from different fairways not in any order and

the readings came through no problem and the voice told us what hole we were on each time.

My playing mates can't get over what this almost watchsized device offers. I love it and thank my wife every time I use it.

quirkysenior

Otaki, New Zealand

• 1 month later...

Bought one for my mother in law and I think it's a great product. She just wanted something small that gave her the yardage to the greens. It's perfect for those that just want basic information. Plus the fact that it's about the size of an iPod mini makes it easy to attach to anything.

Driver - 9.5 Cobra Amp, 9.5 Bridgestone J40 430

3 Wood -Royal Collection JP104

3 Hybrid - Royal Collection JP104

Irons - Onoff forged

Wedges - 50, 56, 60 Royal Collection Dual Bite BK

Putter - Yamada Shogun

Archived