Testers Wanted: Newton Driver Shafts ×

Time to Ditch Iron Numbers? Why Loft Should Be the Only Label on Your Clubs

KJano05

I'm too dyslexic to just have loft numbers, but I do agree. My 7 iron is 28 degrees and carry is around 178 which is ridiculous. It was great when I was still developing my swing, but I would prefer more traditional lofts now. While rare without going to tour spec or blades, the ZX5s are 31 which is better. My Gap Wedge is traveling around 118 carry which leaves a 20 yard gap between it and my 54 degree sand wedge, so it gets harder on scoring irons for 100-110 yard shots and trying to not fly the green or end up short, and the top of the bag gets crowded. 

Screenshot2024-06-20102512.png.a4eca7a6af0020b932f510c44dcd4abe.png  Paradym Ai Smoke Max 10.5 Driver; Graphite Design Tour AD-VF 6 S/ IZ 5 S

Screenshot2024-06-20102512.png.a4eca7a6af0020b932f510c44dcd4abe.png  Paradym Ai Smoke Max 3HL 16.5: Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 S

default_ping-small.jpg G430 7w: Ping Chrome 75 S

image.png.2d0afd9b0ffa1e8a1d0b6c08ac8f37c7.png.c582defdbf30afbfc6daaed45594990e.pngGen 2 0811 4H: Fujikura Pro 85 S

default_titelist-small.jpg.096c9fd83c209f544d30f64ec6ae48eb.jpg TSR2 5H: Project X HZRDS Red 85 S

image.png.2d0afd9b0ffa1e8a1d0b6c08ac8f37c7.png.70d0971d1cb119b4c524ed52223a24c4.png 0211 DC 6-G: KBS TGI 80 S

Cleveland.jpg.b864b0bf721691b75cd50b9ee634890e.jpg.b6dc20b7fb31f49c6385d2e9299c52ec.jpg CBX 54: Rotex Wedge; CBX2 Zipcore 58: Project X Catalyst Spinner 80 

Screenshot2024-06-20102640.png.8ddd17fe8171208d828937758e6ebd54.png M.Craft OMOI Type 06

default_titelist-small.jpg.096c9fd83c209f544d30f64ec6ae48eb.jpg  ProV1x ; Linksmaster Bag

23 hours ago, Off Map Oscar said:

You wouldn't believe how many relatively new players and even some with a few years I've talked to that had no idea that lofts changed between models of clubs.

I agree with this point particularly.  I've seen it on this forum, where golfers with a 20+ handicap are looking at "new" clubs, to replace not that old ones,  and have no idea on how the lofts of the new clubs they are looking at compare to what they are using.  Could end up getting less distance out of each club #.

The "cynic" in me also kinda says that club manufacturers are resistant  because they don't want the inexperienced(in terms of the SHELL GAME) that is loft of clubs to be aware that the 5 iron that he is now getting more distance out of, with his new set, is AS A MATTER OF FACT, THE EXACT LOFT OF THE 4 IRON IN HIS OLD SET,  THAT HE TOLD HIIMSELF, HE COULDN'T HIT. 

I also am very careful when anyone asks me what I hit, when from the tee I have announced that it is 135 yards to the center of the green, into a  wind, and I hit 8 iron (145), and it lands  near middle, I indicate I hit my 145 yard club, that's 1 extra, and they can judge for themselves, how it worked out.

I do believe loft #'s  although they would take some getting used , would simplify everything, and help minimize confusion.  Don't know that it would add anything really to cost.  I hope Cleveland is not charging for their stamping, which includes loft degrees.  How hard would it be to install on irons.

image.png.8822e19842b249a55d1d86a01a8e83e3.png

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

Played in my first tournament in 15 years on Saturday. Interesting format of 9 holes best ball, 9 holes alternate shot, and 9 holes captain's choice. First experience with alternate shot. We didn't handle that session very well.

During the alternate shot session on #13, we were 99 yards out, middle of the fairway. It's a short par 4 at 345 yards but plays about 60 feet uphill in elevation from tee to green with the pin cut back left. The slope function on my rangefinder said 99 actual, 113 with slope. The wind was toping the hill at the green, funneling right into our faces and was a full club of hurt minimum. He insisted it was a pitching wedge. I was insistent I couldn't get a wedge back there and was afraid I wouldn't even get it to the green which brought the front bunker into play. I wanted to hit 9-iron. I let him talk me into hitting the wedge. Sure enough, it came up short in the bunker. We had a 15 yard bunker shot playing uphill some 10 feet of elevation. He left his attempt in the bunker. I hit mine to about 12 feet. We 3-putted out of frustration and walked away with a triple on the easiest hole on the golf course. The rest of the alternate shot session was tense. We weren't getting along.

After we finished, I pulled the specs of both our irons up on my phone to show him. My i210's are standard loft and lie which means my PW is 45* and 9 iron is 41*. His T-200's are 43* and 38*. By the time you get to the longer irons, his are a full two clubs different than mine. I'm not suggesting this was the full reason why we shot 43 during the alternate shot session but it was a contributing factor.

Specs on irons are all over the place these days. I don't even pay attention to what's stamped on the bottom and shouldn't have allowed him to influence what I knew was the right play. I'll just go back to playing recreational golf for fun. I find it to be therapeutic. I just don't get the same enjoyment out of competing that I once did. Especially in team events. 

On 9/15/2024 at 11:04 AM, Erin B said:

I know what my irons do, what their loft is, and how far I hit them on average. I don’t care what someone else hits. I don’t care what their loft is. I don’t care what the pros hit. I get a fitting often so I know what my swing is doing and what I need to do for improvement. Jacked lofts??? So be it. If you can hit a 3 iron as a 5 iron, great!!! Enjoy your game! I’m going to enjoy my game too. As far as numbering clubs? Don’t care and if the standard is to do that, ok. If you’re in my group and blast a PW as far as I can hit my 8, I’m gonna say “nice shot” and then I’m gonna get a measurement from my range finder and hit my appropriate club for that distance and whatever shot shape I need to hit it to get the ball as close to the hole as possible. 

That is exactly the way I play. I could give 2 hoots less if someone hits their PW as far as I do my 8 iron. Had a partner the other day in the small money game question me on a club selection. He had never played with me before. He had seen me smoke the 7 wood about 175 on a couple of holes back. On this shot I knew my yardage and what the terrain was. He had shot the yardage and knew I had 145 or so to the green. Had a little wind in our face. I pulled the 7 wood and he said "are you crazy you will blast that over the green?" I ignored him and hit my shot. Hit an opened faced off the front foot high cut 7 wood on the middle of the green. He was flabbergasted. He has played golf maybe 10 years and knows zilch about the game. He has no idea an experienced player can manipulate a club. One of my "trick" shots. Yeah I do not tell others what to do and do not need them to tell me. In all honesty sometimes my way works and sometimes it does not. And I am not arrogant enough to say my way is the only way either. I am a big proponent of doing what works for you and your game.

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

1 hour ago, sixcat said:

Played in my first tournament in 15 years on Saturday. Interesting format of 9 holes best ball, 9 holes alternate shot, and 9 holes captain's choice. First experience with alternate shot. We didn't handle that session very well.

During the alternate shot session on #13, we were 99 yards out, middle of the fairway. It's a short par 4 at 345 yards but plays about 60 feet uphill in elevation from tee to green with the pin cut back left. The slope function on my rangefinder said 99 actual, 113 with slope. The wind was toping the hill at the green, funneling right into our faces and was a full club of hurt minimum. He insisted it was a pitching wedge. I was insistent I couldn't get a wedge back there and was afraid I wouldn't even get it to the green which brought the front bunker into play. I wanted to hit 9-iron. I let him talk me into hitting the wedge. Sure enough, it came up short in the bunker. We had a 15 yard bunker shot playing uphill some 10 feet of elevation. He left his attempt in the bunker. I hit mine to about 12 feet. We 3-putted out of frustration and walked away with a triple on the easiest hole on the golf course. The rest of the alternate shot session was tense. We weren't getting along.

After we finished, I pulled the specs of both our irons up on my phone to show him. My i210's are standard loft and lie which means my PW is 45* and 9 iron is 41*. His T-200's are 43* and 38*. By the time you get to the longer irons, his are a full two clubs different than mine. I'm not suggesting this was the full reason why we shot 43 during the alternate shot session but it was a contributing factor.

Specs on irons are all over the place these days. I don't even pay attention to what's stamped on the bottom and shouldn't have allowed him to influence what I knew was the right play. I'll just go back to playing recreational golf for fun. I find it to be therapeutic. I just don't get the same enjoyment out of competing that I once did. Especially in team events. 

I vaguely remember talking to you on here back in the days before I got hurt. From what I remember you and I have basically the same views on stuff like this.

Yeah for me I am blessed to be able to build and "tune" my own stuff since I have my own loft and lie machine. I know all my lofts and lies on my stuff and what I can do with them. It would take me more than likely 2 or 3 pages to explain my lofts and lies and why I do like I do. 

Since I retired then working part time got hurt I play quite a bit now since I am now fully retired. I did join the League at my course to have folks to play with. I do not take it as serious as some do in the leagues. For kicks and real giggles I play my persimmon and blades on Sunday mornings. Saturday mornings I play my Hickory stuff on a little Par3 course up the road with my wife and some Hickory Enthusiasts when they show up. I quit playing the Saturday Shootouts at my home course for a bunch of reasons one being it had gotten not to be fun. Some of us used to have like a little $5 bet among the teams and it was fun. For reasons that I will not get into on here most of the old crowd have moved on to other stuff on Saturday

For me since I retired golf is fun again and I play what stuff I want to. 

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Speeder 565 R flex- - 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R---- Irons 5 thru PW 1980 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex steel shafts--- SW -- Cleveland 588 56* S-400 Sensicore --- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Fluted Bulls Eye shaft--- Bag TM Flex Lite Stand---- Yeah I know only 11 clubs 

G

2 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

That is exactly the way I play. I could give 2 hoots less if someone hits their PW as far as I do my 8 iron. Had a partner the other day in the small money game question me on a club selection. He had never played with me before. He had seen me smoke the 7 wood about 175 on a couple of holes back. On this shot I knew my yardage and what the terrain was. He had shot the yardage and knew I had 145 or so to the green. Had a little wind in our face. I pulled the 7 wood and he said "are you crazy you will blast that over the green?" I ignored him and hit my shot. Hit an opened faced off the front foot high cut 7 wood on the middle of the green. He was flabbergasted. He has played golf maybe 10 years and knows zilch about the game. He has no idea an experienced player can manipulate a club. One of my "trick" shots. Yeah I do not tell others what to do and do not need them to tell me. In all honesty sometimes my way works and sometimes it does not. And I am not arrogant enough to say my way is the only way either. I am a big proponent of doing what works for you and your game.

Yessir have to know your game!!! Always get questions about my chipping. For instance, I'll be in deep rough maybe 20 yards to pin and have my 48 or PW. Player asks me why do I have such a low lofted club when I need to get it out of the rough and high to stop it. Then I proceed to hit the ball high and stop it with my 48 or PW. They can't figure it out. Well, for me, I take my time when chipping. I look at the lie as being much more than it being in the rough. Rough is tricky because the ball may look buried, but many times its actually sitting up, meaning it's not touching earth, its sitting about 1/2 to 3/4 inch up. A 60 will go right under the ball and the ball either stays in the rough or is on the fringe. 9-10 times for us mortals it's a short chip which usually ends up costing a stroke. 

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Woods: TM.png.882c22efb861c87ad5aa6b2f88e9743f.png3W Mini TaylorMade S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Irons: NL.png.a16c1db32eb8495938c8958152d9be4c.png902PD Proj.X IO shaft 6.5

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Putter: SM.jpg.6ec6e268aa1364f355b3f10b9901b64e.jpgBlack MiniGiant 

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

14 minutes ago, Erin B said:

Yessir have to know your game!!! Always get questions about my chipping. For instance, I'll be in deep rough maybe 20 yards to pin and have my 48 or PW. Player asks me why do I have such a low lofted club when I need to get it out of the rough and high to stop it. Then I proceed to hit the ball high and stop it with my 48 or PW. They can't figure it out. Well, for me, I take my time when chipping. I look at the lie as being much more than it being in the rough. Rough is tricky because the ball may look buried, but many times its actually sitting up, meaning it's not touching earth, its sitting about 1/2 to 3/4 inch up. A 60 will go right under the ball and the ball either stays in the rough or is on the fringe. 9-10 times for us mortals it's a short chip which usually ends up costing a stroke. 

Uhh huuh you are an old school student of the chop pop. On that shot depending on the lie I use the 56 or my PW (48*) with the face open a little depends again on the lie and what bounce you need.

Our greens the fringes are gnarly and most guys try to putt through them. Not me I use the old school bump and run 5 iron. I can loft or deloft some with my hands depending on what I need. I have had some guys lately ask me about that. First thing I ask is what kind of clubs they are playing?  Most modern 7 irons are the same loft as my 1980 MacGregor 5 iron. I also draw some curiosity because I carry only 3 wedges. And if some look at my gaps they will say oh you carry a 56 and 58 man those lofts are close. They do not realize the difference in bounce and how to manipulate them. The 58 is used for our bare greenside traps because it is only 4* bounce. Now sometimes I will use it on a straight up flop I need to get up quick and stop. Most of the time I can manipulate the 56 bounce withstanding to do what I want. Like I said I have some crazy loft gaps. But that is how I roll.

Edit--- A few years ago (before my accident) I was minding my own business practicing chop pops on our chipping green. This loudmouth Snowbird was telling me I was doing it wrong. In those days I was a part time hustler. I flubbed a couple and then offered to chip him for $1 a shot. Oh man he must have had larceny in his blood because he jumped. I ended up beating him out of $15 before he stopped. He ended up complaining to the club house and the guy knew. Told him you ran your mouth at the wrong guy he is a Mini Tour Player and Hustler. Of course those days are a long way away in the rear view mirror since I have gotten older and had a bad accident in 2020. I have nerve damage and cannot manipulate a club with my hands as good as I used to

Edited by BIG STU
added comment sometimes my brain is slow

G

5 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Uhh huuh you are an old school student of the chop pop. On that shot depending on the lie I use the 56 or my PW (48*) with the face open a little depends again on the lie and what bounce you need.

Our greens the fringes are gnarly and most guys try to putt through them. Not me I use the old school bump and run 5 iron. I can loft or deloft some with my hands depending on what I need. I have had some guys lately ask me about that. First thing I ask is what kind of clubs they are playing?  Most modern 7 irons are the same loft as my 1980 MacGregor 5 iron. I also draw some curiosity because I carry only 3 wedges. And if some look at my gaps they will say oh you carry a 56 and 58 man those lofts are close. They do not realize the difference in bounce and how to manipulate them. The 58 is used for our bare greenside traps because it is only 4* bounce. Now sometimes I will use it on a straight up flop I need to get up quick and stop. Most of the time I can manipulate the 56 bounce withstanding to do what I want. Like I said I have some crazy loft gaps. But that is how I roll

Sounds like we have a similar approach. I do like the "Texas wedge" at times, and when I've been under low hanging pine trees I have been known to bump and run a putter 🤣

Driver: Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgParadym TD 9* Steadfast Jupiter S or  Ping.png.bd9875c415de0caaf18165e81353fcba.png425LST 9* Steadfast Jupiter S

Hybrids: PXG.jpg.f43fb635ef9ee412fa814c0d924d1ee5.jpg3H&4H 0317 Steadfast Jupiter S

Wedges: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegVokey SM10 48, 52, 56* Titleist Wedge Shafts

Ball: titleist.jpeg.79b06f097c7bfa5eecb9179cb2b8800a.jpegPro V1X or Callaway_logoChev.jpg.210738784f200cb0d13f9386f1575265.jpgChrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

27 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Our greens the fringes are gnarly and most guys try to putt through them. Not me I use the old school bump and run 5 iron. I can loft or deloft some with my hands depending on what I need. I have had some guys lately ask me about that. First thing I ask is what kind of clubs they are playing?  Most modern 7 irons are the same loft as my 1980 MacGregor 5 iron. I also draw some curiosity because I carry only 3 wedges. And if some look at my gaps they will say oh you carry a 56 and 58 man those lofts are close. They do not realize the difference in bounce and how to manipulate them. The 58 is used for our bare greenside traps because it is only 4* bounce. Now sometimes I will use it on a straight up flop I need to get up quick and stop. Most of the time I can manipulate the 56 bounce withstanding to do what I want. Like I said I have some crazy loft gaps. But that is how I roll.

Edit--- A few years ago (before my accident) I was minding my own business practicing chop pops on our chipping green. This loudmouth Snowbird was telling me I was doing it wrong. In those days I was a part time hustler. I flubbed a couple and then offered to chip him for $1 a shot. Oh man he must have had larceny in his blood because he jumped. I ended up beating him out of $15 before he stopped. He ended up complaining to the club house and the guy knew. Told him you ran your mouth at the wrong guy he is a Mini Tour Player and Hustler. Of course those days are a long way away in the rear view mirror since I have gotten older and had a bad accident in 2020. I have nerve damage and cannot manipulate a club with my hands as good as I used to

One advantage to lobbing over bumping and running is that the air is really easy to read.
I like to throw it as close to the hole as I think possible while still stopping the ball.

That's why I play a 64.  Probably why I've never been a great short game player, either,
although I think that I have more short side saves that most people playing at my level.

Not for everybody, though.  You have to completely commit to the shot or you're in serious trouble decelerating.
And sometimes the ball is going to go for a little or not so little jog before sitting.
I'm no short game guru, but I play what works most of the time for me,
and I've always been intuitively an up in the air player.

Admittedly, not many experts recommend it it, and probably with good reason.
That's just my little habit and the most fun for me.

17 minutes ago, Erin B said:

Sounds like we have a similar approach. I do like the "Texas wedge" at times, and when I've been under low hanging pine trees I have been known to bump and run a putter 🤣

Yep and I know how to hop putt an Anser style putter in the same situation> LOL a week or so ago I was under a big tree on our 18th Par 5 hole and in the rough to boot. I needed to advance the ball about 150 yards or so for the 3rd into the green. Choked down on my driver (10.5*) and hit a chop pop with it about 160 yards into the fairway which I needed

G

4 minutes ago, RetiredBoomer said:

One advantage to lobbing over bumping and running is that the air is really easy to read.
I like to throw it as close to the hole as I think possible while still stopping the ball.

That's why I play a 64.  Probably why I've never been a great short game player, either,
although I think that I have more short side saves that most people playing at my level.

Not for everybody, though.  You have to completely commit to the shot or you're in serious trouble decelerating.
And sometimes the ball is going to go for a little or not so little jog before sitting.
I'm no short game guru, but I play what works most of the time for me,
and I've always been intuitively an up in the air player.

Admittedly, not many experts recommend it it, and probably with good reason.
That's just my little habit and the most fun for me.

Cool especially if it is fun for you. Me ha ha I do not have the nerves anymore to try that one nor the speed or hand eye coordination

G

1 minute ago, BIG STU said:

Cool especially if it is fun for you. Me ha ha I do not have the nerves anymore to try that one nor the speed or hand eye coordination

The only reason I can still do it is because I've always done it.

I'm sure that if I had to learn it at this age, that would probably be impossible.

Also, I'm not suggesting that I always do it well. 😁

3 hours ago, sixcat said:

During the alternate shot session on #13, we were 99 yards out, middle of the fairway. It's a short par 4 at 345 yards but plays about 60 feet uphill in elevation from tee to green with the pin cut back left. The slope function on my rangefinder said 99 actual, 113 with slope...

Hey, just FYI since you said it's been 15 yrs since your last tournament; If this was an actual tournament, it's illegal to run the slope function on your range finder during play. 

Some local member/guest tournies will allow it, but usually the default for any tournament is that the slope function has to be turned off on your range finder during the actual tournament play.

Edited by The TXBexar
Fixing stupid spelling

Driver:   2024 Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke MAX 9deg(wgt'd draw w/ hosel set +1&draw)
Hybrids:  2022 TSR2 - 3Hybrid(19Deg)
Irons:    2023 T790 5-9i,Pw,Aw - Dynamic Gold 115g Stiff
Wedges:   2024 Vokey SM10 55Deg(56Deg loft adj. -1) - same
Putter:   2004 Scotty Cameron Futura - 38.25", 4Deg Lie
Ball:     2020 Vice Pro, Callaway SuperHot/SuperSoft Matte

5 minutes ago, The TXBexar said:

Hey, just FYI since you said it's been 15 yrs since your last tournament; If this was an actual tournament, it's illegal to run the slope function on your range finder during play. 

I'm well aware of the rule. The tournament was observing a "local rule" allowing the slope function to be used.

Edited by sixcat

On 9/15/2024 at 5:41 AM, Josh Parker said:

3i = 🐵

4i = 🦬

5i = 🦄

6i = 🐭

7i = 🐰

8i = 🦇

9i = 🐮

PW = 🦋

There’s your Callaway irons. What are the Taylormade symbols? Will Mizuno use Japanese characters?  Avocado use Hebrew alphabet?

The Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15’s put the degrees instead of numbers, as previously stated. It seemed like a great idea, but in practice it was confusing. Personally, the 8 and 7 irons for me always required additional thought. My 8 had 37 on it, and I would think “7 irons” and grab the 37. That’s not enough club. 

Most of the other people that played the 15’s had written the corresponding number on the bottom, or a label on the back or the shaft. The next series of irons had the conventional numbering system. 

You are welcomed to go back to to the Play club, Brassie, Spoon, Mashie, Mid Mashie, Niblick, Cleek, etc…. As for me, I’m pretty happy with the system we have. 

I tend to think of Spots In My Bag. Driver-Fairway-Hybrid-4 to 9 irons and 4 wedges. (P,G,S,L). I want clubs that cover those distances. 

My 8 iron probably doesn’t go the same distance as your 8 iron no matter what the degree or length of the actual club. My driver can have the loft changed 4° and I can put any length shaft I want in it. I can buy an 8° head and turn it down to 6° or a 12° head and up to 14°. No matter what it is still in my “Driver” spot. 

My “Fairway” can be 12-19°, although I will have to change heads. Currently G430Max set to 16.5°  

In my “Hybrid” is currently a iCrossover 3 iron. 

Over the years, I’ve had as many as 5 hybrids and as few as 0. As many as 5 wedges and as few as 3. None of that really matter, just as the fact that my pitching wedge is now 4° stronger than 20 years ago. 

:ping-small: G430 LST 10. on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430 Max 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: iCrossover 3i on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small:  iCrossover 4i  on Graphite Design ADDI 7S 

:ping-small:  i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90 S 

:vokey-small: SM9 54° & 58° on :truetemper: Wedge 

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 on :accra: White

:L.A.B.: LINK1on     T P T    Putter        (on order)

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

5 hours ago, RetiredBoomer said:

The only reason I can still do it is because I've always done it.

I'm sure that if I had to learn it at this age, that would probably be impossible.

Also, I'm not suggesting that I always do it well. 😁

I am basically the same way. Most of the funky trick shots I do I have done most of my life. I learned a lot of the stuff I do at the course my old man ran watching those old hustlers. And like you said It does not always go according to plan

G

On 9/15/2024 at 4:41 AM, Josh Parker said:

3i = 🐵

4i = 🦬

5i = 🦄

6i = 🐭

7i = 🐰

8i = 🦇

9i = 🐮

PW = 🦋

@Josh Parker 😂 😂 😂 

Edited by Erin B

4 hours ago, RoverRick said:

The Ben Hogan Ft Worth 15’s put the degrees instead of numbers, as previously stated. It seemed like a great idea, but in practice it was confusing. Personally, the 8 and 7 irons for me always required additional thought. My 8 had 37 on it, and I would think “7 irons” and grab the 37. That’s not enough club. 

The fact that they offered 28 different lofts didn’t help the confusion.

While this seems like a good idea in practice, it has been attempted in the past (most recently with Hogan) always failing to sell and/or have an impact on big OEM trends. At least drivers/wedges have mostly adopted the loft only trend with fairways/hybrids taking a “hybrid approach” (pun intended) with both the loft and a reference number in many cases. 

Driver:  Titleist TS2 9.5

Fairway:  Tour Edge CB4 Tour 16.5 

Irons:  Titleist 690.CB 3-PW

Wedges:  Titleist Vokey SM5 50, 56

Putter:  Odyssey Works Versa 1W

Ball:  Vice Pro Plus

5 minutes ago, storm319 said:

The fact that they offered 28 different lofts didn’t help the confusion.

While this seems like a good idea in practice, it has been attempted in the past (most recently with Hogan) always failing to sell and/or have an impact on big OEM trends. At least drivers/wedges have mostly adopted the loft only trend with fairways/hybrids taking a “hybrid approach” (pun intended) with both the loft and a reference number in many cases. 

The 910 hybrids I have do this too

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I am basically the same way. Most of the funky trick shots I do I have done most of my life. I learned a lot of the stuff I do at the course my old man ran watching those old hustlers. And like you said It does not always go according to plan

Stuey!! You can run but you can't hide! I knew I'd find you sooner or later!🤣

Titleist TSR2 9°, Ping Anser 5 wood,Callaway Warbird 9 wood, Ping G25 Irons 4-UW,Ping Glide 58°ES, Seemore mFPG Nashville Studio

6 hours ago, braincramp said:

Stuey!! You can run but you can't hide! I knew I'd find you sooner or later!🤣

Glad to hear from you!!! I am done over there besides I was here long before I was over there. Heck stay over here with us it is more fun and you do not have to look over your shoulder here or be on pins and needles

G

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Glad to hear from you!!! I am done over there besides I was here long before I was over there. Heck stay over here with us it is more fun and you do not have to look over your shoulder here or be on pins and needles

Oh yea, I knew you were. I haven't been posting much at all lately. It's that time of the year when I try to play more golf before winter. The Grille is really slow since they chased off all the good guys. I'll come here and let you enjoy my company every so often.🤣

Titleist TSR2 9°, Ping Anser 5 wood,Callaway Warbird 9 wood, Ping G25 Irons 4-UW,Ping Glide 58°ES, Seemore mFPG Nashville Studio

Wow, I set out to side with you and then somewhat switched.  I think if you are buying irons you need to know the lofts when comparing set to set.  (Get Fit)

The thing about lofts on the club vs numbers, The number is easy to differentiate, I don't want to have to make my irons with colors to tell them apart at a glance.  When I played three of the same wedges in the same finish I pulled the wrong wedge more often than I would like to admit.  

I would need the numbers big if the were by lofts.

The other thing that occurs to me is I know the yardages I play each iron so what the marking is would not matter to my choice of club to hit.  I know that my old KZG lofts are often different by a full club in the 6 iron.  

I have 4 degrees of gap from lob wedge 58 degrees to Driver 10 degrees.  

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4  58/9

Putter: Evnroll ER2 head with a custom shaft set up from Positive Putters that gives a toe up balance

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft with triple track                     

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

This has been a great thread - many great points.  When I read this I was hoping that someone would mention the good old Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scots from the 80's - had loft and number (I still play mine on occasion).  These were and are my first set of irons that I purchased "used" in '17 when I was getting into golf. One thing they did do - was start me thinking I hit my 7i (loft 36deg) ___ yards.  As I moved to newer clubs, I would still correlate the lofts to distance (not really thinking about the number on the bottom).  As the swing improved, so did distances and as such I had to "recorrelate".  Not a bad thing, just part of the learning curve.  Currently I play a 32deg 7i (Edel SMS) and I know it goes ____ yards "on average".  When I step back further in time and play the MacGregor blades, I know that the 7i is closer to my Maltby TS-1 9i which is 41deg.  Then you have to figure - is it a Helping or Hurting wind, is it uphill or downhill, it is a nice fairway lie or a chop out from the rough couple that with loft, lie, head weight and you get into Bryson mind territory (watching him calculate makes my head hurt - but also appreciate the "mad scientist" he is). 

Granted the old timers "learned" their clubs - what the mashie would do or more importantly knowing what to do with a mashie, etc. as they were the only clubs they had.  I remember reading where Seve learned to hit a 3i  from the sand as it was the only club he had.  My point is that the numbers on the head won't matter as much as the knowledge in your head to tell your hands how to execute will.  As most golfers are recreational, we don't have time to really rehearse all the shots we will encounter so would lofts be more infomative than numbers - likely not.  

WITB?:ping-small:  G400 SFT w/Aldila NXT GEN NVS 55 Aflex ; :ping-small: G410 3w; :ping-small: G400 3h(19), 4h(22), 5h(26) - stock Ping Alta CB R-Flex; :edel-golf-1:SMS 6i, 7i - KBS TourLIte 95 R-Flex; Maltby TS1 8i-9i-PW w/Apollo Acculite 85 R flex; INDI FLX-S wedges (50, 54, 58) w/Recoil graphite shafts -R-Flex and :odyssey-small: AI-One 7T BD Milled (aka Millie), ball choice tends to be Pro-V1 or simliar 3pc urethane balls. 

Naaah. Swing speed, attack angle, swing plane, shaft type, ball construction & number of beers consumed, all contribute to me not hitting the exact same club the exact same distance as my playing partner … So, I don’t understand why guys still want to know what club I hit.  

:titelist-small: TSi3 #1-3-5 all with Tensi Blue S-flex

:callaway-small: 2019 Apex Pro black 3 & 4H Catalyst 70 or    

:titelist-small: TSi3 #2-3 depending on how I’m playing. Tensi Blue

:callaway-small: 2019 Calloway Apex Pro black, 5-PW, Catalyst 100 - 6.0, Super Stroker Jumbo   

:cobra-small:  2020 RadSpeed OL 4H, 5-GW … won’t get to actually use till warmer weather

:callaway-small: 2019 PM-grind, 56° & 60°, KBS steel, Green Cap

:taylormade-small: Blue Spider EX

:titelist-small: Pro V1X

All of my clubs have loft printed/stamped on them (except my putter), and all of them have a club number or letter designation (except for driver and putter).

I can accurately tell you the loft (or current loft setting) for all but 6-7-8-9-W. 

I long ago gave up using anyone else’s club number to gauge my club choice — your loft/lie angle/shaft/SS/AoA/ball aren’t mine.

I like having both the club number and loft on each club.  Not sure how much it helps with the irons (after fitting), but I like it.

Driver:  Ping G425 Max (10.5º; Regular )

Fwy:  Cobra King SZ (3; Regular); Ping G410 (5; Regular)

Hybrids: Ping G410 (22º and 26º; Regular)

Irons: Cleveland Launcher XL (6-U)

Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 (54º/12º), and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 (58º/8º)

Putter:  Ping Karsten Anser X

On 9/14/2024 at 11:12 PM, Shankster said:

They ought to just leave them blank so we all have to guess what they are.  That would add a bit of extra excitement.  They could save on manufacturing costs, and we can name them whatever we want.

Hey can your grab my “Cream Cheese and Bagel club”.  That would be the 150 club in my bag.  The Ice Tea would be the 205 club, and Ace Hardware would be the driver.  

I could be on to something here… 

My 150 would be the "Turkey Club"

This has been a fun topic of discussion.