Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Found wife's old putter

JSHIBONE

To start with, my wife never likes when I talk about golf, play golf, shop golf clubs, and read about golf. Then again, she is a decent player who always complains about her putter and wedges. I probably had to switch my putters with her at least 3-4 times in last 5 years (which means my entire married life).

Yesterday, I found only golf bags in the basement. I know I've seen it before but I only thought it would be her very old clubs (she golfed for about 11 years before she met me). Upon opening this treasure, I found her old "PUTTERS". Oh Good Lord! was my first word when I saw them. SC Circa 62 #3 and YES! Tracy were there. Even though they were not in perfect shape, (Circa 62 #3 was in okay shape. Thinking about sending it to SC to have it refinished) I am thinking about occasionally putting YES! Tracy in my bag.

Anyway, after finding them, I cautiously approached my wife and asked about "newly found used putters". She told me they were given to her by her father (my father-in-law) for her to putt around and practice. She currently has Odyssey White Steel which she loves (does not make any sense to me but its all personal preference thus I dare ask "why?!" Nothing wrong with Odyssey but she had these two great putters to begin with....).

I just hope she doesn't find out that I will be sending Circa 62 to get it refinished........

My Monday mumble.

Salute~

Driver: Callaway RAZR FIT 9.5 with Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 6.1 Stiff

Wood: Titleist 910FD 13.5 with Aldila RIP Reg

Hybrids: Ping G10 15 with TFC stiff; Titleist 910H 24 with MR Ahina Stiff

Iron: Nike VR II Pro Combo 5-PW

Wedges: Ping G15 54 degree, Scratch 8620 56 degree, Cleveland Tour Action 900 60 degree low bounce

Putter: Odyssey ProType PT10

Ball: Bridgestone B330 or/and Titleist V1

Glove: Callaway Diablo

Shoes: Adidas Powerband 3.0

Putting styles and weighting goes a lot deeper then personal preference.

I have been working with Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting) aka bargolf (here and puttertalk) for around a year now with Full Swing, Short Game, Putting, Mental concepts, you name I have probably touched on it and picked the mind of a very smart man.

I have all his material for the online classes so I know a lot of what he posts on puttertalk.com is only scratching the surface to really unlocking your personal key to putting.

I have a link that he sort of dove into the general concepts of putter fitting, it's sort of technical looking because its from Sam PuttLAb and you don't have the entire context behind the images. Where the shaft intersects the head and how much offset the shaft has to the club matters a ton depending the the person's source of motion, hand bias, and much much more.

Here is that link in the case that you are interested in reading his post on choosing a putter >> http://puttertalk.com/community/index.php?topic=36873.0

You can also dig through his blog here , lots of good stuff in there actually >> http://www.bargolfinstruction.blogspot.com/

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

I just turned on my study/research mode!

Reading begins~ Thanks for the great links.

ah~~~~~ joy of doing what I love. Hope my wife is busy doing her stuff for a while.

Wedges: Ping G15 54 degree, Scratch 8620 56 degree, Cleveland Tour Action 900 60 degree low bounce

LMFAO, yea the only issue is there is not all that much information out their about putting other then people's ideas on methods that work for everyone (which they are wrong), no one method for anything in golf works for literally everyone.

This time last year I was just starting to scratch the surface of my putting stroke. I knew what style of putters worked best for me as I spent a ton of hours in golf shops trying different models and lengths seeing what felt good and gave me the best results. It took probably 6motnhs for everything to click and come together so that I really trusted what I knew about my putting stroke and I knew what my tendency for misses are.

For 3 months it was nothing but putting, we gotten to a point that it was sort of me practicing and giving a feedback here or there when I thought it was important to give the information or ask a question. I dove into the full swing as I liked his teaching style. That has taken up most our time over the last 6 months. Hell, I was already a 5-9 handicap before we started working on the full swing I got down to a 3.2 at the end of last season and still wasn't "there" consistently. That included a bogey free 3 under 33 from the tips on the front 9 at home home course in the mix but that was "this is it" then the next day it was gone.

Anyways, I got my full swing exactly where it needs to be early this year. I got my putting stroke where it should be at the end of last season, got my short game coming back around the beginning of this year. I'm pretty happy with where the pieces of my game are at, I just have to pull them together to produce the scores to drop this 3.4 down to scratch :)

Anyways, sorry for the derail of the putting thread but I saw some comments that sort of echo how much people approach putting and putter styles. Don't blindly pick putters, find someone that knows what they are talking about and get fitted.

Callaway Epic Max 12.0 (-1/N) @ 44.50" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7 Stiff

Callaway Epic Speed 18.0* @ 42.75" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-8 Stiff

Callaway Mavrik Pro 23.0* @ 40.00" w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 95 HYB Stiff

Sub-70 639 Combo (5-P) w/ Nippon Modus 3 125 Stiff, Standard Length, Weak Lofts (27-47, 4* gaps)

Callaway MD5 Raw 51-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 55-13 X-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 59-11 S-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Callaway MD5 Raw 63-09 C-Grind w/ Nippon Modus 125 Wedge

Golf Swing & Putting -- Bruce Rearick (Burnt Edges Consulting)

LMAFO

It only took less than 5 minutes to get to the bottom of your link (thread).

I think looked pretty darn empty at the end when my wife looked at me and said "do you need to go to washroom or something?"

answered right back "No, I already s*** myself....."

I thought the thread would be 20 pages long but oh well

It also took me around 3 months to figure out which putter was the best for me. Thus I chose to play Odyssey ProType PT10. And I did spend some time over the winter and early part of March out on the practice green putting away much of my weekend morning. I always loved the feeling of Ping Redwood D66 and Scotty Cameron Newport but I had better results with Odyssey.

YES! putter is very new to me. Never tried them on a real green. Never tested with my golf balls (B330 or V1) but when I tried them at the local shop, they were quite "clicky". Yet I loved the heavy toe feeling from my wife's old putter. It is some what different. Not saying this will produce any better outcome but I would like to try this one out in few practice rounds to see how it rolls.

Time to go back to man cave to practice putting~

Archived