Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Questing for the perfect Wedges

dru_

Big Trusty Rusty... You're welcome. They're super easy to hit and the misses are manageable.

I've never found a stock wedge that was perfect to me. I've always had to get the grinder out to get it just right (and payed people before I taught myself). Why, I don't know. But, being as you're in Atlanta, I'd make a recommendation if you have the time. Take the 2 hour drive to Scratch's facility in Chattanooga. Last I checked the facility was still there and they'd do a fitting there for you and grind you a set if need be. Reason I say Scratch is they have a ton of options and they have a facility semi local to you. And lastly, IMO, you'll be hard pressed to find better.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

As an FYI Dru Rookie has always nailed it for me when he's made a recommendation.  I'd give it a try.

I have to ask - do you really mean you're trying to pick your 60 out of the sand?  If that's the case it has nothing to do with your club - its your head - what are you thinking?  I don't care how firm the sand is unless you're a touring pro you aren't hitting that shot - better to use a hybrid or putter and bump and run it if the sand is that firm.

Bottom line though when I hear that the conditions are wet and you're trying to use a low bounce sand wedge I know that this is your problem.  Pre-SCOR I had two sets of wedges - my summer set with higher bounce for wetter conditions and my winter set with lower bounce - I'm guessing your conditions are the oposite of ours.  If its wet you need more bounce, less will stick in the ground.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Pick is probably not terribly accurate, I'm still hitting and taking sand, but far far shallower than I would a normal sand wedge ( where I play it way way back and arguably dig too deep ).

Dru - Owner, President & Janitor, Druware Software Designs

RH 13.1 Handicap in soggy Georgia 

WITB
* 1W 10.5* @ PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 3W PXG 0211 ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff ) 
* 5W 18* Tailor-made AeroBurner ( Stock Stiff )
* 7W  Sub70 949x ( HZRDUS Smoke Black X-Stiff )
* 5i-PW @ PXG 0211 ( Gen 1 )
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

but that said, I've never made a case that any of this isn't in the head :-).  

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

but that said, I've never made a case that any of this isn't in the head :-).

. :)

Trying playing it center of your stance, weight on the left side and, this is key, close the face. You could also try your gap wedge or even pitching wedge.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Looking forward to Friday, maybe both 

As an FYI Dru Rookie has always nailed it for me when he's made a recommendation.  I'd give it a try.

I have to ask - do you really mean you're trying to pick your 60 out of the sand?  If that's the case it has nothing to do with your club - its your head - what are you thinking?  I don't care how firm the sand is unless you're a touring pro you aren't hitting that shot - better to use a hybrid or putter and bump and run it if the sand is that firm.

Bottom line though when I hear that the conditions are wet and you're trying to use a low bounce sand wedge I know that this is your problem.  Pre-SCOR I had two sets of wedges - my summer set with higher bounce for wetter conditions and my winter set with lower bounce - I'm guessing your conditions are the oposite of ours.  If its wet you need more bounce, less will stick in the ground.

Looking forward even more to Friday, maybe I'll be able to absorb something from both you and Rookie!!  I share many of Dru's woes.  Anything inside of 80 down to 10 yards is a "just hope I get it on the green" shot, whereas from 80 to 125 is a "how close can I get it to the pin for a birdie put".  I, too, have tried the 60 deg low bounce solution to wet sand (with no success as well).

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

Big Trusty Rusty... You're welcome. They're super easy to hit and the misses are manageable.

I've never found a stock wedge that was perfect to me. I've always had to get the grinder out to get it just right (and payed people before I taught myself). Why, I don't know. But, being as you're in Atlanta, I'd make a recommendation if you have the time. Take the 2 hour drive to Scratch's facility in Chattanooga. Last I checked the facility was still there and they'd do a fitting there for you and grind you a set if need be. Reason I say Scratch is they have a ton of options and they have a facility semi local to you. And lastly, IMO, you'll be hard pressed to find better.

The Trusty Rusty's have always been an superb wedge in my opinion, my grandfather had one and I loved it.

Another couple of options you could look at the lob wedge I have, its a SHARK by Greg Norman but for the life of me I can't find one online so it might be a bit hard to find, if your interested its in my WIYB thread. I realise 64* is a bit extreme (thats how I roll lol) but they do have a 60* as well.

Vokeys are probably worth having a look at, love the rusties and oil can finishes from their line. Also the new Nike wedge with the massive heel grind could be an option as well

Driver: Titleist 907 D2 7.5* Aldila VS Proto Shaft 65 X

Fairway Woods: Titleist 980F 19* Pro Trajectory stock Titleist 4375 R shaft (desperately need to replace)

Irons: Taylormade LT2's 3-PW S300 dynamic golds

Sand Wedge: Vokey 56* 256 10 Oil can 8620 finish True temper shaft

Lob Wedge: Shark 64* wedge True temper shaft

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2 blade, 303 GSS Insert, 35'' 330g 4*L 71*L

Ball: Pro VI

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I would circle back to this a bit based upon the last 3 weeks of work. 

Finally broke down and went back to the drawing board.  At issue, IMO, was the conflict between natural swing and work done under instructor #1 and the reversion back to the natural swing. Every wedge shot suffered the double edged sword of no-confidence and swinging 'deep'.  I was chunky under every wedge shot, which is fine when the conditions are summer time hard, but in this soggy morass that we call this winter, I was just digging craters.  Mucking around with clubs only made the problems worse.

So, we worked on the swing, and got into a rhythm. Grabbed the collection of clubs I have been testing, and got a chance to make a choice.  The end result is, for the moment the SpeedBlade wedges to go with the Tour Preferred irons but will reevaluate when the TP wedges are retail available.

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Dru - I thought I'd chime in here with similar advice to some that I gave a buddy of mine.

The 60 is a very difficult club to hit - its the 3 wood of the lower end of the bag if you will.  That could easily be why you haven't found one that you love or why you have some success and then its gone.  Personally I don't think its worth carrying one at your handicap level because you have other things to work on.  I have to make sure that I practice with mine occasionally or else........  I had that or else occur last Friday and I made double by the way.  Sometimes I wonder why I didn't go 54/58 instead of 55/60 in fact.

At any rate just some food for thought.

I go 52/56 myself most of the time but on certain courses I will carry my 5* bounce 58 Vokey only for greenside bunker shots. I do agree that the 60 can be the 3 wood equivalent on the wedge scale. But Rev remember us old school guys learned to "manufacturer" lofts because we only had a PW ( 48 to 50) and a SW (52 to 56) when we were coming up. I just always stuck with that mostly

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

• 2 weeks later...

Dru,

No idea whether or not you have ever heard of them or given them any consideration. But consider the Edel wedges. The fitting process is seriously phenomenal. I went through it myself and couldn't be more impressed. I think with the wide range of options, customization options and the premium feel that these bring will definitely satisfy what you're looking for.

I purchased all three of my wedges 52/56/60 through them and love them.

:titelist-small: TS3 8.75 with HZRDOUS Yellow and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:srixon-small: U65 4i with Fujikura MCI shaft and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:bettinardi-1: Queen B #6 with 34" Stability Shaft and P2 Aware Tour Grip.

:titelist-small: Pro-V1 Golf Ball.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

Dormie Custom Headcovers.
Bushnell Pro X2 Laser Rangefinder.

I play a 52, 58, & 64 at my home course, but I think that when I travel to other courses, I will swap the 58&64 for a 60 Hogan Sure Out and add a hybrid or FM.  Most places do not have the hard fast greens that my club has and honestly, I am more nervous at other courses because of the unfamiliarity of the course.  The Hogan Sure Out is just stupid easy to hit, and a 64 is not.

Of course if I somehow end up playing where it matters what grooves it has, not likely, then I will stick with my current 58.  My course will put a pin very close to the edge of the green and a 64 is sometimes needed.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

I started testing out a 50/54/58 setup this week.  Will see how that works. Things have been getting better as the ground has returned to a more normal condition aafter MONTHS of horrible rains.

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Dru,

Any progress on your wedge search? I understand you're testing the 50/54/58 setup. I gamed that last year and loved it. Just recently switched to a "more conventional" 52/56/60 setup.

You have mentioned before in a lot of the posts in this thread about getting steep with your wedges and really digging at impact. Are you playing a low bounce wedge? Have you thought about getting something with more effective bounce to help counteract that swing style?

:callaway-small: XR 16 3W & 5W with HZRDOUS Red shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: AP3 5-PW with Accra Tour 110i shafts and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

:titelist-small: SM7 50F, 54S and 60M grinds with Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue S400 and Black MicroPerf Best Grips.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

I go 52/56 myself most of the time but on certain courses I will carry my 5* bounce 58 Vokey only for greenside bunker shots. I do agree that the 60 can be the 3 wood equivalent on the wedge scale. But Rev remember us old school guys learned to "manufacturer" lofts because we only had a PW ( 48 to 50) and a SW (52 to 56) when we were coming up. I just always stuck with that mostly

I had P 51 and SW around 58 in my eye 2s and they worked fine together for 10 plus years. Honestly I could hit flops with that sand wedge before they called them flops. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Dru,

Any progress on your wedge search? I understand you're testing the 50/54/58 setup. I gamed that last year and loved it. Just recently switched to a "more conventional" 52/56/60 setup.

You have mentioned before in a lot of the posts in this thread about getting steep with your wedges and really digging at impact. Are you playing a low bounce wedge? Have you thought about getting something with more effective bounce to help counteract that swing style?

Almost all of my wedges are set up with a lot of bounce.  

I really think, and the instructor I am working with is the one that posited this, is that I created a bit of a self inflicted wound this winter.  I played all winter, and was trying lots of wedge options and trying to compare them to the expectations set during the summer and fall.  Summer and fall were damp by Atlanta standards, but this winter has been downright soggy.  The net result is that the ground got so saturated that even on 'dry' days, no amount of bounce would keep the club from digging in. I had become so used to playing in much firmer conditions that I developed a bad habit of throwing the face of the club into the ground. He has me more or less worked through that little bit of stupidity, but that fix has broken my gaps such that a 60 is good for about 65-70 yards, and I'd prefer not to have to swing 'hard' to get to 75.  The 58 is a better 70-75 fit @ 80%, with a 54 being comfortable 80-90 @ 80% and the 50 fitting the 100-110 range. 

To say this has been an adventure is a gross understatement, but it has been a hell of a lot of fun. 

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

I should also mention, that for the 50/54/58 testing I am back t the Hopkins Golf wedges.  Really pleased with the early results.

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

Dru,

I'm sure this has been part of your consideration but where does the 50 fall in line with the gapping of your PW? The reason I went from 50/54/58 to 52/56/60 is because with my current PW being 47 the 50 was essentially the same club.  

Actually, after hitting them both on a launch monitor it turned out I was only hitting my PW roughly 5 yards further. So it didn't make sense for me to have those gaps. You may be different, but I'm curious.

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

My PW is 46*, but it plays a little longer than the loft indicates, as it is a 125-135 club.  I have a 51* AW from the set that actually plays 5 yards longer than the 50* Hopkins for me, and I may end up using that in the long term.  Still experimenting. 

WITB
* 52 @ Hogan Equalizer
* 56 @ Sub70 
* 60 @ Hogan Equalizer
* Carbon Ringo 1/4
* Vice Pro Plus

That's ironic. 

It just goes to show how important dynamic loft and strike conditions are! Hope to hear of you figuring something out with the setup soon! 

Jones Utility Golf Bag.

• 2 weeks later...

I had P 51 and SW around 58 in my eye 2s and they worked fine together for 10 plus years. Honestly I could hit flops with that sand wedge before they called them flops. :)

Yep that is because you are old school like me. You learned to manufacture a shot and how to execute it. The way the eye 2 wedges were ground on the sole helped too. I think Ping is making them again with conforming grooves

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Archived