Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

So...strained my chest cavity.

norball79

That's not ideal, swinging a bit fast? Only time I've strained the upper body playing sport has been going past 100%.

Did a shoulder throwing a cricket ball, trying to bowl too fast etc.

Have strained an abdominal trying to hit a drive to far in the past - that was bad technique!

Rest in peace long sticks - I'll remember you

TM Burner Superfast 2.0 TP Regular

TM RBZ Stage 2 Fairway 14.5 stiff

Adams Blue Hybrid No. 3 stiff

Adams Super xtdHybrid 21.5 Stiff

Ping G30 4 and 5 Iron - Regular CFS Shaft

Ping i25 6 - PW Regular CFS Shaft

TM Y Groove Gap Wedge

Cleveland CG10 Sand Wedge

PingTR Piper Putter, adjustable shaft, SuperStroke Fatso

Titleist StaDry Cart Bag

Motocaddy S3 Pro Trolley

Foot Joy City, Adidas Boost Boa and Adidas Superstar shoes

Pro V1x in the summer, Titleist Velocity in the winter.

Played 9 holes on Friday and 9 on Sunday. Dr says I strained my chest cavity playing Friday. Is this common or am I doing something really wrong?

I would say no this is not common.  I played 101 holes of golf last weekend before the rain stopped play yesterday.  I just turned 50 and am not exactly being stopped on the street asking if I am Arnold Schwarzenegger, if you know what I mean.  Other than being tired, I did not have any effects of playing that much when I woke up this morning.  I even considered going out this afternoon.

"Strained my chest cavity" does not sound like an area of the body that is particularly active in my swing.  I can see perhaps, the back, or legs or arms but I don't really see the "chest cavity" as acting independent of the other parts of the body.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3w  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small: G425 3H on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: G425 4H on :kbs: TGH 80S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

The only way I can think about doing that is by taking to far of a backswing too quickly. Were you playing in a match? I've get major adrenaline rushes through match play and have done too far of a backswing too quickly. I've felt tension there while doing it.

Inside My Blue Callaway Warbird X Golf Stand Bag:

Driver:Nike SQ 10.5* with Graphite Design Y6+

3W:Cobra S2 14*

4W: Nike SQ Dymo 17*

3H and 4H: Taylormade Rescue 19* and 22*

5H: Cleveland Mashie 23*

6H: Adams a3os Hollow-Back

7Iron-Sand Wedge:Callaway X-20 Series with Callaway Steel

Lob Wedge (60*):Cleveland CG-12 Black Pearl with Cleveland TRaction Steel Wedge Flex

Putter: Odyssey Versa #9

Golfball: Callaway Hex Black Tour

Did you hit out of any thick rough? I've done that a couple of times and definitely felt it in my chest afterwards.

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

It may be one of those things. Every one is built differently and swings differently. I have never heard of anyone doing what you described but who knows?

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

I tend to agree with RP, it sounds like the Dr just described where you hurt instead of telling you what was really going on.  It actually sounds more like a pulled muscle, but I'm not a Doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Actually, when I first took up golf I was practicing in my hitting bay and backyard mostly. I had checked out different "swing methods" online trying to get an idea of what to do. (The one thing I learned from that mistake is, if someone is trying to get you to do "their" swing that they packaged and attached a name to....run like hell from them. They will always over-do something. It will be some feel or swing thought that works for them and they think it's the holy graile for everyone.) Anyway, I was trying this one particularly ridiculous swing that says wide knees with outward pressure and an arm swing with no wrist cock supposedly. I did something wrong with it and kept getting excruciating pain in my back next to my spine. Turns out it wasn't my back. I had three ribs pulled out of place. Granted, I had no idea how to really swing at the time. I would swing out of my shoes every time trying to bash the ball. But that experience sure taught me what NOT to do! So yeah, I guess it's possible to "strain your chest cavity". Although that sounds like a very vague diagnosis.

I tend to agree with RP, it sounds like the Dr just described where you hurt instead of telling you what was really going on.  It actually sounds more like a pulled muscle, but I'm not a Doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

LOL but did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night? Sorry could not resist

Driver ---- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha  Speeder 565 R flex- 5W TM V-Steel Fubuki 60r--- 7W TM V-Steel UST Pro Force Gold 65R----- 9 W TM V Steel TM MAS stiff---- Irons 2015 TM TP CB Steel Fiber 95 R--- GW Callaway Mack Daddy 2 52* shaft unknown junk pile refugee. SW Callaway PM Grind 56*  Modified sole grind--- KBS Tour Wedge-- LW Vokey 58* SM5 L grind--- Putter Ping B90I Broom Stick 

G

Actually, when I first took up golf I was practicing in my hitting bay and backyard mostly. I had checked out different "swing methods" online trying to get an idea of what to do. (The one thing I learned from that mistake is, if someone is trying to get you to do "their" swing that they packaged and attached a name to....run like hell from them. They will always over-do something. It will be some feel or swing thought that works for them and they think it's the holy graile for everyone.) Anyway, I was trying this one particularly ridiculous swing that says wide knees with outward pressure and an arm swing with no wrist cock supposedly. I did something wrong with it and kept getting excruciating pain in my back next to my spine. Turns out it wasn't my back. I had three ribs pulled out of place. Granted, I had no idea how to really swing at the time. I would swing out of my shoes every time trying to bash the ball. But that experience sure taught me what NOT to do! So yeah, I guess it's possible to "strain your chest cavity". Although that sounds like a very vague diagnosis.

Amen One of the best swing advice tips I ever heard came from Mr Palmer "swing your own swing not the one you wish you had" Timeless advice from a great man and champion

G

Archived