Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Theoo's Pre-Season Tune up

I'm coming into my 4th golf season this year, and while I have improved each year I still feel like I am not playing up to my potential. I have yet to break 100 and I have a handicap of 32. None of this I am ashamed about but I want to become better. The past 2 years I've been taking lessons at Golftec and they have helped my swing tremendously. Pairing that with some natural athletic ability has me hitting the golf ball far but not necessarily playing better over a full 18 holes. So this season I am taking a different approach. Instead of just casually getting ready for the season I've decided to create a type of pre-season tune up or training camp for myself. My goals being I can start the season in a better position for success and having the ability to compete against others.

Without further ado here is my pre-season plan: Starts Feb 1st ends April 19th 12 weeks total

Diet: Right now my diet has been subpar at best. I started a new job where I don't get a long lunch to go grab some real food so it has been mostly junk food for lunch. When I come home I'm usually so tired I can't think of anything to eat so i either just snack on junk or order some fast food. Neither are good choices.

I need to make some changes in my diet, the main one being eating real meals. I will start having breakfast each morning, and taking a balanced lunch and creating a menu for dinner so i can know what i will be having each night. On sundays i will make my lunches for the upcoming week so when I am tired from work i wont ruin the next day because i don't have a lunch. The weight watchers diet system will be my main guide. For me its quick and simple. I had used this in the past and lost around 60 lbs, so I know it works. (http://www.peertrainer.com/articles/weight_watchers_points.htm more info on how weight watchers works)

Every week i will weigh in wearing the same clothes as the week before. Keeping a spreadsheet of weight loss. Also I will give updates on how I feel, energy level, clothes fitting differently etc.

The goal I have set for myself is 30lbs by the end of the 10 weeks. That puts me at losing 3 pounds a week. A very attainable goal i believe.

Gym: A better diet is only â…“ of the equation for me to hit the ground running this season. Getting back into the gym is another third. I plan to workout 2-3 times a week. Definitely each Tuesday and Thursday and hopefully Sundays as long as I don't have to work.

The gym routine i will be doing is based on the workout routine i have used since HS basketball. I start with the lower body and work up the body. I have found this is good for creating a strong base which is key for golf since the lower body and core is more important for power than the arms. I also do 3 sets of 20 reps for each exercise. Then once i have done my lifting I will finish with 30 minutes of cardio. After my workout I like to sit in the sauna and stretch.

The Workout

10 min warm up and stretch

Standing Calf Raises- Left Leg 3x20 Right Leg 3x20 Both legs 3x20

Leg press - Left Leg 3x20 Right Leg 3x20 Both legs 3x20

Leg curls- Left Leg 3x20 Right Leg 3x20 Both legs 3x20

Hip abduction/adduction 3x20

Back Extensions- 3x20

Crunches & Hip raises 3x50 & 3x20

Core Bridge- 3x30s

Bench press & push-ups- 3x20 & 3x20

Barbell Curls- 3x20

Tricep Pulldowns-3x20

Cable Rows- Left Arm -3x20 Right arm 3x20 Both arms- 3x20

Pullups- 3x20

30-45 minutes of Cardio

Sauna & stretching

Practice: I will be continuing my weekly lessons. As well adding in an extra practice session for a total of 2 a week. I plan to practice for about an hour each time. The first half of my practice will be focusing on what we worked on in the previous lesson. During that time I probably won't switch clubs much, the main goal being to ingrain the new motion or move. For the 2nd half of the practice I will switch clubs every 5 or so swings. The main focus being to make sure each shot draws and still trying to work on the new motion from the past lesson. Once spring time comes I will take one of my practice sessions outside to reintroduce myself to hitting off the turf. Also taking time to work on my short game and touch shots. Shots that are hard to work on indoors but ones that will save me many strokes this coming season.

Hopefully this helps my game in the long run. 

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

First week weigh in and photos

Week 0 Weight loss.png

IMG_0225.jpg

IMG_0226.jpg

IMG_0227.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0231.jpg

Week 1 Weigh-in

Week 1 weight loss.png

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

I wish you all the best! I think so many people are stuck in that unhealthy eating rut, and real food, everyday, eating at scheduled times is how so many get back on track. Throw in regular exercise and you're well on your way.

Don't over do it. It sucks to injure yourself before a season begins. And just make sure you just move/do something. Go out for a walk or something if you can't make the gym that day.

Is the Golftec really working after two years? How are you measuring progress?

How much attention have you paid to course management? That can shave a ton of strokes, and it just takes thinking around the course differently. You can't think about score out on the course. One shot at a time. So cliche, but so true.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

I wish you all the best! I think so many people are stuck in that unhealthy eating rut, and real food, everyday, eating at scheduled times is how so many get back on track. Throw in regular exercise and you're well on your way.

Don't over do it. It sucks to injure yourself before a season begins. And just make sure you just move/do something. Go out for a walk or something if you can't make the gym that day.

Is the Golftec really working after two years? How are you measuring progress?

How much attention have you paid to course management? That can shave a ton of strokes, and it just takes thinking around the course differently. You can't think about score out on the course. One shot at a time. So cliche, but so true.

Thanks! Yes I believe Golftec has helped me a lot. My swing is a lot better than when I started, but I still struggle with consistently. The more I practice the more consistent I get which is a good sign.

• SPY VIP

Great stuff Theo. You will be so happy that you have those before photos.

This is going to suck for a few weeks, but your body will respond and it'll get easier.

I know that it can be done.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Great stuff Theo. You will be so happy that you have those before photos.

This is going to suck for a few weeks, but your body will respond and it'll get easier.

I know that it can be done.

Thanks Dave!

Great plan Theoo -- looking forward to watching your progress!  Good luck!!

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Thanks guys! I'll be posting an update tomorrow since I started this last week. Just had been a little busy to get it up. And if anyone is interested in joining me I can set up a group spreadsheet to track your progress as well.

Thanks guys! I'll be posting an update tomorrow since I started this last week. Just had been a little busy to get it up. And if anyone is interested in joining me I can set up a group spreadsheet to track your progress as well.

I'm in for that!  Let's make this happen...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Great plan, it always helps to "put it in writing" in keeping the committment.

It's particularly good that you've got a plan to balance your work with your diet.  Junk food lunches are an easy habit to fall into and can be difficult to break, unless you get your meals planned out ahead of time!

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

I've got to break the junk food snacking habit...cheese curls are so good. Seeing you put yourself out in front Sean, is a kick in the arse for me. Thank you!

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Great plan Theoo! You are an inspiration to the rest of us. Keep it up because you are playing for all of us now!

The workout routine sounds very familiar. Must be a standard in school, but I remember that we had to change it up; not do the same each time. Every other time we did a lighter weights/easier workout with more reps and cardio. Start easy, then build it up each week.

Good luck! Looking forward to the results!!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Keep plugging away man. This will be my 4th year as well. I couldn't break 100 last April. Took some lessons and spent a lot of time practicing and things started clicking. Big improvements came quick after feeling like I was stuck for the first three years.

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

My encouragements as well!  But seeing your pics gave me an idea for a great "Everything Else" thread---"Show off your Tats!"  You've got some great ones!   I'll have to have my wife take a presentation quality pic of mine.  (Maybe I'll toss hers in as well, she's got an awesome shoulder angel and then a spectacular lace garter belt on her thigh (all the way around of course) with a revolver in it).  

Don't let this thread be highjacked--just look for the new thread when I can get some pics ready.

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

My encouragements as well! But seeing your pics gave me an idea for a great "Everything Else" thread---"Show off your Tats!" You've got some great ones! I'll have to have my wife take a presentation quality pic of mine. (Maybe I'll toss hers in as well, she's got an awesome shoulder angel and then a spectacular lace garter belt on her thigh (all the way around of course) with a revolver in it).

Don't let this thread be highjacked--just look for the new thread when I can get some pics ready.

Thanks and sounds like a nice thread to me!

My encouragements as well!  But seeing your pics gave me an idea for a great "Everything Else" thread---"Show off your Tats!"  You've got some great ones!  

Sad to say, my Harley Eagle has faded into a Harely Crow...

What's In the Bag

Driver - :callaway-small: GBB 

Hybrids  :cleveland-small: Halo XL Halo 18* & :cobra-small: T-Rail 20*

Irons  :cobra-small: T-Rail 2.0

Wedges :ping-small: 60* TS / SCOR 48* 53* 58*

Putter     :scotty-small:

Ball :callaway-logo-1:

Bag Datrek DG Lite  

Get it Theoo! Let me know when your practicing and such. I'll come out. Thats def one place my game lacks is preparation in the off season. Usually by the end of the season I'm playing OK but i'd love to start there rather than finish there. I need to diet and work out as well. Hit me up!

-Jason

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

Get it Theoo! Let me know when your practicing and such. I'll come out. Thats def one place my game lacks is preparation in the off season. Usually by the end of the season I'm playing OK but i'd love to start there rather than finish there. I need to diet and work out as well. Hit me up!

-Jason

Will do bro! Also welcome to the site!

Good luck Theoo, from what I know 2 pounds a week is generally what I've been told is a good goal. Don't get discouraged if you're only dropping that much. 

Also, don't expect results until a month or so out, I've lost maybe ten pounds, but feel and look slightly less like a buoy. Still though, it doesn't look that much different.

Just keep up with it and the benefits will slowly take shape.

Driver:   :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 12 Degree

Wood: :callaway-small:  GBB 3 Wood
Hybrid: :callaway-small: Razr 4 hybriid stiff stock shaft.
Irons: :callaway-small: X2 Hot 4 iron (pro version) 5 iron - Gap Wedge (non pro version).  KBS 120g Shaft stiff cut 1/2  inch bent 1°upright
Wedges: :vokey-small: 52° 56° and 60°.
All grips are Golf pride grips midsized
Putter (lefty):  Odyssey Metal-X #8 34", stock shaft bent 2° Superstroke grip
Golf Balls:   :titelist-small: 2018-9 Pro-V1x and Prov1s
Shoes:  :footjoy-small:  Dryjoy tours

I've always heard that a pound a week is attainable.

But...as you lose fat, you may replace with muscle, so the scale sometimes said you even gained weight sometimes. It's good to keep track of inches for this reason, I believe.

And don't starve yourself. Creating issues with metabolism can really bite you. The resulting weight gain on the other side can be rapid if proper nutrition is not followed. You lose muscle starving yourself and the body puts fat on in return if you starve yourself in "survival mode." Small meals, consitent times of day.

"Glute Activator"

*Please accept my contributions of participation and intellectual property sharing as substitute for monetary renumeration.

https://docs.google.com/a/mygolfspy.com/spreadsheets/d/1eqNWbCBDoahuj7-tF5aOJj52zjxZiJyvzdUsFTXc180/edit?usp=sharing

Here is the link to the spreadsheet for anyone who would like to track their progress with me, just add your name in column A. 

Week 1 weight loss.png

Here is my first week's weigh in. I lost about 5 pounds which is pretty good. My diet needs to get a little better. I want to add more veggies and fruit just haven't had time to get to the store.

Went to the gym this morning and practiced afterwards. The gym went good even though I could tell I am way out of shape. Exercises that used to be easy for me were difficult, and the weight I used was way down.

I always give props to those who want to make changes like this in their lives. Time to build a routine and stick with it.

I'm fortunate enough to be dating a registered dietician (and she will let everyone know she's not a nutritionist...which is a self-proclaimed title, but a dietician that went to a 4 year university and passed a regulated/licensed exam). She has been giving me tips over the past few years that have really helped me battle the bulge. Keep in mind, I've seen this girl throw down pizza and cheese enchiladas like no ones business, it's all about moderation and small adjustments can go a long way.

In the mornings, I meal prep or eat a high fiber cereal (grape nuts, frosted mini wheats) or a healthier breakfast burrito with turkey sausage, egg beaters and flour tortilla (sorry, I hate the wheat and corn tortillas). I also just have an 8oz smoothie. I know what you're thinking...gross. But if you put a lid on it and drink it through a straw, it helps. And yes, they are delicious. I usually throw in a handful of spinach and kale along with 1/2 cup trop 50 OJ, blend that down, add a banana and 1.5 cups of frozen berries, fruit, etc. Blend til smooth and boom, all that nutrition/fiber in one simple service.

Mid morning, like around 10am, I'm eating some sort of lean protein (chicken, turkey, even roast beef), a vegetable and a simple carb to give me energy through the morning.

Mid afternoon, I eat a piece of fruit with peanut butter. I also throw in some cheese and crackers.

Dinner is a moderate size piece of protein, a green or orange vegetable and a grain such as brown rice, quinoa, or something of that nature. I use low sodium seasonings (not a mrs dash, etc) and no more than 1/2 tablespoon of real butter.

Late night snack is either homemade popcorn or some sort of low calorie frozen dessert.

The calorie bomb meals in the middle of the day do a lot of damage. If you get a salad, keep the dressing on the side and dip your fork in it instead of spreading it on the salad. You will save hundreds of calories a week doing this. If you eat Mexican food, grab a handful of chips and then ask the waitress to take the basket away. If you eat pizza, make sure you eat a salad BEFORE you start eating pizza. It ensures you get nutrition with your meals. If I make a steak, I eat the vegetables first. If I eat Italian, I order something with the fewest noodles possible. And finally, DON'T DRINK YOUR CALORIES! Drink water with lemon. Drink unsweet tea. Drink coffee with very little cream/sugar. That will save you a lot of calories at the end of the day.

I eat like this 80% of the time. The other 20% is dedicated to whatever I want, otherwise you go insane eating the same stuff over and over. I'm not saying go nuts that other 20% of the time, but allow yourself to cheat.

I look forward to your progress. It sounds like you have plenty of folks rooting for you on this site.

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

Had a good workout and range session with Jason today. Still taking it a bit easy so i don't get so sore that I can't move the next day.

Had a good workout and range session with Jason today. Still taking it a bit easy so i don't get so sore that I can't move the next day.

Theoo kicked my ass in the gym today....but in all seriousness it was a great workout!

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

I climbed onto the treadmill yesterday. Gotta keep moving! It felt good.

Funny/furry little aside:

I inherited my dad's little (not so little) Bischon when he passed. He gave us instructions how to feed her. We were shocked! Milkbones with Skippy P.B. for breakfast?! No wonder she was so round! She'd lay around groaning and panting all day she was so full. Could barely walk a few blocks. She'd jump down from the couch and yip in pain she was so heavy and would crush herself under her own weight. Poor dog.

In about 10 months' time, just with a reasonable steady diet and exercise, she is like a new dog. She can walk about 4 times as far and still have energy. She's more alert. She seems happier. And she's about 11 or 12 years old. Not a puppy.

"Glute Activator"

Had a rough week last week. Diet wasn't as good as it could have been. But I had a good workout with Jason again yesterday. Definitely getting my strength back which is pleasing.

Archived