apprenti23

Forum Tester- Selling product

Never come across this yet, but morally its in bad taste, so...

I nominate member SNCGOLF03 to be removed from all future testing...

His set of Ben Hogans is up for sale on Golf W R X

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1230058-ben-hogan-ft-worth-and-tk-ironswedges-mint-x-flex-11-clubs-total/page__gopid__12215450?do=findComment&comment=12215450

• Like 5

Trust me, we're not the only ones! Poor form, bad taste, whatever you want to say... Trying to profit from a free giveaway like this (and I'm talking steep profit) is terrible.

• Like 1

Saw these today and wondered if it was the same set. Looks like the topic has been removed

• Like 1

Yep they just cleaned up the thread and deleted all o the comments. WRX doesn't allow items that were won in free giveaways from WRX to be sold on their forum, but I guess they allow free items won from MGS to be sold.

I pm'd the member here and offered him some options. I'd like these to stay in the hands of the MGS community if possible.

• Like 6

I would love to get my hands on these they have the exact shafts and specs I play

• Like 1

That is just ridiculous. This site give people the opportunity to get amazing golf products for free and the companies give us these products expect something out of it as far as future customers from what we do. This give all of us a bad name and might make companies think twice before allowing us regular guys to test their products. If i had the chance to test clubs i would take it with respect and never sell them. Even if i absolutely hated them just wrong. 

• Like 2

If he does not want to continue to use them, then either offer them up for another MGS user or donate them to the First Tee Program......Let the First Tee, auction them on ebay so the proceeds can benefit the kids.

• Like 6

I saw that posting yesterday and was wondering. 

I was drooling over those irons and that whole giveaway that whole time it was going on - I think I did the self-fit thing about 15-20 times trying to get different combinations.  I was hoping that I was going to win being that much of a fan of Ben Hogan irons and to compare to my FTX's.  

Maybe companies should look into what ACCRA did for us (I found it to be a cool touch not for this reason but could be a good deterent) but to have the winners name engraved/stamped into the product.  I hope that the winner does the right thing and finds a loving home for these irons if he isn't going to play them - by loving I mean donates or sends them along to another member for testing. 

• Like 5

This is why I got so pissed off during testing when he put them on eBay. It looks like he didn't even hit them...

Honestly I wouldn't have minded if he had put them in the classifieds here and said "hey who is willing to give me something for these, buyer must write a review." I would have paid quite a bit for them and would have been happy to write a review. And hell I would have had to have the shafts changed and lie angles bent.

• Like 8

It's sad. But he is not the only one... A lot of people have disappeared after getting phat loot from MGS.

I'll fess up. I sold my Cobra Amp Cell irons that I reviewed on this site. I did play them for an entire season and they were two generations old when I let them go. I ended up trading them in to 2nd Swing.

As long as you have satisfied all the requirements of the review process I don't have an issue with selling something. Obviously this does not appear to be the case with the guy selling the Hogans though.

Edit: I should add I've never heard an official stance either way from MGS. I would happily comply with whatever direction they give.

I feel like keeping them through the regular life of an iron set you would buy yourself satisfies any obligation to not dispose of them.

I also don't really think giving up on these so quickly is even fully satisfying the review.

• Like 5

Just to interject...

What was done is ridiculous. Only because from all of the details we followed throughout the process, such as the eBay listing. The pictures presented with no noticeable wear, trying to profit on TWO websites and not here, not even giving the people of MGS an opportunity to have the clubs and so much more just stacks so much against him.

I understand, money can be tight and people find an outlet that they think works. Heck, we don't know this person in real life. This is a group of people on the internet that technically he never has to interact with again. So why not do it and run?

The answer is common decency, respect, and values. If you receive something for free and it doesn't benefit you, pass it on. Within reason.

We haven't even all written our follow ups on the irons yet, and they've been up for sale twice. Since this happened, the guy has fallen off the face of the earth.

What is so upsetting to me is there are a number of forum members that jump into my mind who it seems would KILL for the opportunity to review these clubs, and give them what they and MGS deserve.

Sncgolf do the right thing man. Find a member, let's get him these clubs if they cover shipping, and get a new review set from that person. None of us did anything special when we wrote our review.

We signed up just like dozens of pages worth of people. We were lucky enough to be chosen. Don't throw that away because you're in a tough spot.

• Like 8

I was dying to try those clubs but unfortunately not base in US so could only read reviews from site like this !!

Would be more than happy to pay shipping plus a little more to try them and write a review should they included people like me that's not based in the US

• Like 3

He's been a member since 2012 and has 63 active posts. Take that for what it's worth. It's the principal of it. Every time there's an item to review that gets posted on the blog hundreds of people sign up for the forums and enter because they want free stuff. When they don't get it, you never hear from them again until there's another item that pops up and they're back to enter again.

• Like 3

When I first signed up for this site is was with the hopes to get free stuff. But then I started really getting involved and now I love everything that goes on, the banter, the comradery, the genuine help offered to other members. This just seems to go against what this site is supposed to be about.

• Like 9