apprenti23

Forum Tester- Selling product

Right on boys- clubs came today... Going to be awhile before I get a review together, going to Italy on Monday for a couple weeks. But I'll put em through the paces after that!

Lucky you guys as the weather in Chicago sucks in the winter, so if these don't make the cut, I'll ship em somewhere warm for a bit.

• Like 6

Very happy to hear of a positive outcome, and I'm happy it benefitted both sides. Awesome!

Also, with that being said it's really cool that we have some bonus coverage of these clubs. I'm really excited to see what you have to add to the conversation Apprenti. 

• Like 2

Just as I got a pitchfork and torch, you ruined my fun. I have to say though, it was well done by both of you. Just glad that all worked out and you all handled it like a group of adults and not internet trolls. Just glad that I am on this board and see that there are good results sometimes.

• Like 2

Heading out this morning to try out the Srixon Z 545s I got in the trade. Should be interesting and hopefully I get on a little better then it sounds like AP did with his 1st round. They are quite a bit stronger in loft than anything I've played, soles are quite large, stiff flex (usually play x), standard length (usually play 1/4" to 1/2" long but I should be able to adjust) and ~2° upright. I'm really interested in the forgiveness aspect relative to the Hogan's and Adams CMBs.

Also excited about the Titleist SM5 55 and 60 wedges and see how the soles work out compared to the Hogan V sole. The 55 is a S grind and the 60 is a K grind so it'll be very different.

• Like 2

I thought hard about whether to bump this or not on this fine Thursday. I ultimately decided to press forward based on a few things but I will say this, make sure you read the whole thread before commenting.

1.) There can be more to a story than meets the eye.

After reading the first page, I was ready to grab my pitchfork. Then I read more and realized it wasn't as bad as it seemed. We can take this example to our daily lives to ensure we gather all the information before jumping to a conclusion.

2.) Our members are super passionate.

Can you fault us? Absolutely not. I thought it was really special to see the community enforce the moral codes before mods even had to comment. If nothing else, this demonstrates how important these reviews are to the community.

3.) Never choose a permanent solution for a temporary problem

I get that SNC was feeling the strain of student loans, but guess how far the money from the club sale would've gotten him? One month. Come the 15th of next month, the bill will come due again and he'll still be in the same predicament without more clubs to sell. Anytime I sell clubs, I try to think about what I'm getting with the money and how I'll feel about it in a year.

4.) Sometimes the bad guy is really the good guy.

After seeing SNC's response, I felt bad for feeling the way I felt about him. I'm sure his feelings were hurt as well considering the fact that he put (what he considered to be) a lot of work into the review. I really give him props for addressing the issue and taking the high road in this very thread. It would've been so easy for him to throw the middle finger to MGS and disappear.

5.) Sometimes the good guy ends up being the bad guy

I'm not out here to bash apprenti, but I looked for those Hogan comments he promised. Couldn't find them. That doesn't mean he didn't provide comments anywhere, but if I'm a betting man, it didn't happen on MGS. Even more so, I noticed he totally skipped a Puma shoes test he was selected for without even doing a stage 1. Life may have gotten in the way, but we've all got lives. Just this summer, we had a number of selected testers deal with injuries and hospital stays. The one thing those guys did, was they informed the forum of the situation and followed through when they were able. That's character to me.

In conclusion, this thread demonstrates a dark moment in MGS history......but that makes it a very valuable learning experience to us all. World history is littered with dark moments that we all can learn from so they don't happen again.

And in the grand scheme, if this is as bad as MGS gets, I think we're doing just fine

Sent from #throwbackthursday

• Like 8

Not sure if why this needed a bump. Taking the clubs and running/selling is wrong. We all know that.

I think Adam and MGS pretty much stated how they view things with the Tyson Lamb putter situation.

After a review is properly done, the reviewer has the right to do whatever they want with the product. It's theirs.

Plain and simple

• Like 4

Not sure if why this needed a bump.

If you had read through the thread and my subsequent comment, you would have your answer.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 2

It sucks when stuff like that happens..... A guy in our Epic Driver test last spring never even did a step 1 and vanished....We all love getting the equipment...what's more fun than that long skinny box on your doorstep...but at least follow through

• Like 6

It sucks when stuff like that happens..... A guy in our Epic Driver test last spring never even did a step 1 and vanished....We all love getting the equipment...what's more fun than that long skinny box on your doorstep...but at least follow through

This guy did a complete review, though...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

This guy did a complete review, though...

I saw that...was making more of a general statement

I saw that...was making more of a general statement

That happened in a review I did. Guy took off with a putter and didn't do any part of the review...

• Like 1

Unfortunately this is part of the risk that the MGS staff takes when trying to decide who to select for testing.

They can't always select the same group of people.

They have to place an enormous amount of trust in the people selected.

(it's a tough job and I don't envy them for a second)

I get the fact that some clubs that people are selected to test just don't work for them ...and it would be nice to move them on to someone who can use them.  That being said, perhaps there should be some disclaimer about what you should do if you've tried the club(s) and they just aren't working for you.  Seems unnecessary but could be helpful; you don't want to just put them in a corner to collect dust but you don't want to be a rat and sell them for a profit.

Maybe if you do sell them you donate the proceeds back to MGS ?
Or - you contact the forum admin, explain the situation and ask what they suggest?  All it takes is one PM or email and they'll be happy to help.

Not sure the thread dredge was necessary.

I'd like to think if someone wasn't able to complete a review for some unforeseen reason after equipment was delivered they could forward the gear onto to next in line (as determined by selectors)

Once a review has started it gets a bit more complicated. Updates as to reasons for delays would be helpful.

Like so many others have said, once a review is complete, no one has any further obligation.

• Like 2

It comes up from time to time but here are my thoughts.

If you completed the review the product is yours.  Sell it, game it, hang it on a wall.  You earned it by completing the review.

Take the product and run and never do the review?  Enjoy it because you won't be doing any more.

Something happens in the middle of the review?  This is where it gets tricky.  Sometimes it's something where we could just delay the review and still complete it, or just turn it in later.  Life happens and we understand.  If something happens where you are unable to complete or start the review once product is received then we would work to pick another tester and move the product on to them.

• Like 8

Just an fyi...

I'd asked Barbajo in the past about the idea of some sort of forum member exchange / clearinghouse and he said it had been discussed but then tabled after considering all the logistics....

(...I deleted my original entry point in this post as I'd "shot my mouth off" before reading deeper into the thread.....)

• Like 2

(...I deleted my original entry point in this post as I'd "shot my mouth off" before reading deeper into the thread.....)

You got it. The full picture is important here. That's the only reason I bumped it. It's not as simple as ground rules for selling clubs, there's so much more.

For all else, my bump comment is your TLDR

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I remember this incident very well.

What's missing here is the fact that this was our first huge response to a call for reviewers. I mean huge compared to anything that I had seen. The MGS staff went with a nice mix of veterans and newbies.

The guy who n question was a newbie. However he had done everything that was asked of him even if it wasn't all posted as yet.

Honestly that review and even more do one that T wrote on the blog saved my 1500. I was dead red on those irons because of my love for SCORs. From the reviews I recognized that they weren't right for my game.

If Studque's point is, Don't be so quick to judge, I think he's right.

I wouldn't judge Apprenti too harshly either. He was a great contributor to the forums while he was here. Very knowledge.

I think we have a very high rate of folks who diligently perform their testing.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6

Doing a review is work. I know some people join for a chance for “free stuff” but it really takes a lot of time and effort to complete a review properly, and keeping the product is the compensation.

I've been here for 3 years and in that time have only done 1 review. I haven't even applied for another as I saw how much work it was, and with 3 young daughters to take care of, I knew it would be difficult to make time for a proper review.

Now, when it comes to selling, I think the reviewer has a right to do whatever they wish with the product. But I also think maybe it would be good karma to sell to a member of MGS at a discounted price.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

• Like 6