ole gray

Random Thread

On 11/13/2019 at 5:55 PM, Rickp said:

Guitar......After a few hours of playing “Smoke on the Water” you’ll be out banging balls aganemoji16.png

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Believe it or not I can not read one note of music but I can play "Smoke on the Water" on a guitar. A musician friend taught me years ago. I play harmonica some and do not misconstrue that I AM not no Delbert McClinton

Now running a sound board I can do that---- Ran them for various bands on and off--- The last 10 years exclusively for Church---- I will never run another one in a beer joint or for a rock or country band strictly church or gospel band only. Not saying I do not still listen to rock or country some of it anyhow

• Like 1

On 11/13/2019 at 9:46 PM, Rickp said:

Watching a little bit of the CMA Awards show reminded me of the Bluegrass Performance Band.
Every Wednesday at a Rec Center they have from 1:00-3:00 the Bluegrass PB and it is a blast. Summer it’s OK but winter it’s gets great with some terrific musicians down to get out of the cold.
Some of these people are self taught country folk others have appeared at Grand Ole Opry but ALL are treated as performer equals, it’s a great couple hours.
Me & SWMBO will be there quite a bit.

Sadly no one around here is into Bluegrass--- I love it especially Bluegrass Gospel

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, yungkory said:

Sorry to hear about your MIL, we're currently dealing with a stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis in our family right now and it's ROUGH.

Not that this is a contest or anything, but that wins the misery award for sure.  I am too much of a wuss to think I can handle even a semblance of that sort of pain and misery.

Put the MIL in a memory care/assisted living place on Monday after she suffered a stroke a few months ago.  Watching a 91 yr old woman slowly go downhill is not for sissies.  My poor wife is an only child and devoting every waking moment to her mother now.  All I can offer is moral support to her honestly.
Life sure packs a punch sometimes, and it never seems to end.  You go from living under your parents roof, to can't wait to live on your own, to getting married and having your own kids, and when will these little rugrats be out of my house to, man I can't believe they grew up so quick, to oh wow, the parental units are starting to deteriorate and require more and more of my time.  
And through all of this your body starts breaking down.  You are invincible in your 20s; too busy trying to raise a family in your 30s;  need glasses and have lower back pain in your 40s; to everything is starting to hurt, and I need more sleep in my 50s.
Based on that trend I am so looking forward to my 60s and 70s, and God help me if I reach 80.  Watching my parents, etc in their 80s I really wonder if I can stand the pain and trauma that comes with being that old.
I do know one thing.  The people that look like they have their lives all together on Facebook and have no worries are full of crap and faking it publicly.
Life is just incredibly unfair sometimes and I think often we let it pass us by without truly appreciating all it has to offer.

My MIL passed away unexpectedly recently, a few days before Thanksgiving at age 61. It was awful to see. Couldn't stay in that room long. Been a rough week for all. The worst part is that her and my FIL were retiring at the end of the year and had a 3 month trip with their 5th wheel camper all around the south east.

I'm heart broken for my wife, her sisters, and her dad... And everyone that knew her. I'm sad because my daughter is only 8 months old and won't get to really know her. And I'm angry because I truly believe that the doctors missed signs the previous month that could have easily saved her life. Anger, sadness, and stress are just no fun to deal with.... And while it was incredible to see the line out the door for 3+ hours at her visitation... It still doesn't bring her back, nor does it eliminate all the what ifs that flow through your mind.

And what irritates me even more is that she and her employers paid money into the pyramid scheme called social security... And that's essentially gone besides a small death benefit. I knew that was the case as I've been a financial advisor for 10+ years, but it still really sucks. All families in this situation deserve better in that aspect.

Life is a great journey, but some of the stops along the way absolutely suck...

Here is a great picture we took at a wedding in August. I'm going to get it on canvas for the 3 sisters and dad for Christmas. I think it'll be nice to have hanging on the walls of their homes. IMG_0430_edit_3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Sad 7

2 hours ago, yungkory said:

Sorry to hear about your MIL, we're currently dealing with a stage 4 pancreatic cancer diagnosis in our family right now and it's ROUGH.

Sorry to hear that - my father died of pancreatic cancer so I can relate. Tough way to go. 

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Sadly no one around here is into Bluegrass--- I love it especially Bluegrass Gospel

I love bluegrass. Here's a great band. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

DLK grows comically hideous mustache in observance of Movember initiative. Subsequently notes undeniable uptick in mustache clad spokespersons hawking all manner of products through social media channels. Draws amusement from notion that big data assumes will look favorably upon model with goofy mustache trying to sell anything. Dawns on that Father always sported distinguished mustache. Perhaps will keep mustache. What was brand of trendy mustache wax? Touché Big Data.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 12/4/2019 at 5:35 AM, tony@CIC said:

Holy cow! How and when did you acquire that towel? 

Back in the 1991, about the time I took up golf, I had a 2 week trip to the Portsmouth uranium enrichment plant south of Chillicothe.  My wife wanted to come home to visit family who lived by Lake Erie, so we flew to Toledo... I dropped her off near Fremont then drove south.  When I was finished working I drove back to Fremont.  She has a relative in Port Clinton, and I played CIC a couple of times while I was there.  

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Back in the 1991, about the time I took up golf, I had a 2 week trip to the Portsmouth uranium enrichment plant south of Chillicothe.  My wife wanted to come home to visit family who lived by Lake Erie, so we flew to Toledo... I dropped her off near Fremont then drove south.  When I was finished working I drove back to Fremont.  She has a relative in Port Clinton, and I played CIC a couple of times while I was there.  

The course is quite a bit different today than back in '91. About 12 yrs ago it expanded from a 9 hole executive course to today's 18. Also two of the original holes are now practice holes. Arthur Hills redesigned the course that combines  the original Parkland style  with the newer front 9 which is Links style. The US Open qualifier has been held here for the past 5 years.  https://cicclub.com/golfing. It's still owned by the Stouffer family (yes that one) and it's kept in immaculate condition. 

Does your wife still have family in Pt. Clinton? 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

The course is quite a bit different today than back in '91. About 12 yrs ago it expanded from a 9 hole executive course to today's 18. Also two of the original holes are now practice holes. Arthur Hills redesigned the course that combines  the original Parkland style  with the newer front 9 which is Links style. The US Open qualifier has been held here for the past 5 years.  https://cicclub.com/golfing. It's still owned by the Stouffer family (yes that one) and it's kept in immaculate condition. 

Does your wife still have family in Pt. Clinton? 

I was a really lousy golfer back in the early '90s, probably a 30 'cap.  I don't remember the course at all.  

That would be my ex-wife!  But probably.  Her family had a farm in the shadow of Davis-Besse, and her sister was a grade school teacher in Port Clinton.  She would be long retired by now.  

What I do remember about that visit was that she drug me kicking and screaming to Cedar Point...  I hate roller coasters!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I was a really lousy golfer back in the early '90s, probably a 30 'cap.  I don't remember the course at all.  
That would be my ex-wife!  But probably.  Her family had a farm in the shadow of Davis-Besse, and her sister was a grade school teacher in Port Clinton.  She would be long retired by now.  
What I do remember about that visit was that she drug me kicking and screaming to Cedar Point...  I hate roller coasters!!!!

Haha we have more in common - I hate coasters as well as other 'rides'.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 2

On 11/30/2016 at 9:01 PM, ole gray said:

I'm trying to remember the name of them fancy drawers someone was bragging about recently.  Was it Tommy Johns?  I'm being asked for what I want for a stocking stuffer for Christmas so heck I might as well try some of the world class drawers! :D 

LMAO

Heres how fancy I get with my “drawers”...

I was in Costco the other day with my brother in law (I’m up on Long Island for the holidays visiting my family, and that’s how bored I am not being able to play golf), and I decide to buy underwear.

Kirkland brand white crew necks 6 in a package, $16. and they didn’t have the tightness whiteish I buy,. No way I’m paying that much.

I go home, look online and my go to Hanes or FTL are about $23 a pkg. At this point I’m like “wow, what happened to the price of cotton?”

Long story short, my niece tells me to try KMart. I go online Hanes package of 7 tops or bottoms $7,50 per. 15% off and free shipping over $35. Ended up with 3 packages of each, a 10 pack of sweat socks for $44.Plus a bunch of free Michael Jordan trading cards, lol.

That $44 will buy you about one and a half pair of Tommy Johns, buddy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 12/8/2016 at 6:54 PM, fozcycle said:

Do you realize how many old farts are on My Golf Spy?

I resemble Er... resent that remark!!! 😜

EDIT

wow I may have spoken to soon. I just realized I’m responding to posts you and @ole gray left three years ago.... 🙄

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 2

I resemble Er... resent that remark!!!
EDIT
wow I may have spoken to soon. I just realized I’m responding to posts you and [mention=67397]ole gray[/mention] left three years ago....

Huh, definitely a few Ole Farts around

• Haha 2

Spending the weekend in Manhattan with my wife and daughter...we had to bring the elf on the shelf

IMG_2145.JPG

• Like 9

Learning Spanish at “Trienta y Seis Años” is a big B word.

• Like 3

Learning Spanish at “Trienta y Seis Años” is a big B word.

• Like 1

Extremely fortunate and grateful today. We went to see some festively dressed up horses and farm animals for the kids. My youngest took a Goat horn to the eye socket area. So thankful he just has a little shiner. Could have been much, much worse. I don’t think I’ve ever been so sick to my stomach, happened in a split second...

No farms for the Shanskters ever again.

Tell your children you love them everyone!

• Like 5
  • Sad 2

11 hours ago, Shankster said:

Extremely fortunate and grateful today. We went to see some festively dressed up horses and farm animals for the kids. My youngest took a Goat horn to the eye socket area. So thankful he just has a little shiner. Could have been much, much worse. I don’t think I’ve ever been so sick to my stomach, happened in a split second...

No farms for the Shanskters ever again.

Tell your children you love them everyone!

😱That could have been horrible. Glad it's only a shiner. 

• Like 1

That could have been horrible. Glad it's only a shiner. 

Yeah. One of those gut wrenching moments as a dad. I’ve had a few in the past 13 years, but this one takes the cake. I was distracted for a few seconds when my wife asked me a question, I was about to move him away, but luckily he is in good spirits and only has to do a round of eye drops twice a day for a little while. I can’t imagine any other outcome, I already feel guilty enough, anything worse... 🥺
  • Like 3