I told the kid not to buy them.

Our Sponsors

So I was selling a set of Nike Vapor Pro irons on a classifieds site in Utah. They were in MINT condition with X100s AMT 4-PW. I stated the specs and everything and even linked a couple of review of the clubs so people would know what they were buying. Well yesterday a kid contacted me and told me that he was really interested and we talked about he price and came to an understanding. So I meet up with him and he takes the iron and asks, "What does X100 mean?". I just kinda sat there for a few seconds then asked him how much he golfs and more questions about his game. Well he just started a months ago and loves it and is now golfing like 3 times a week. After more questions I found out he knew nothing about Flex, MB, CB... I mean any golf term. Long story short I literally tried to convince him not to buy them but to try something a little more forgiving but over and over he said, "but they look so awesome" and "I'm sure I'll be fine".

I mean really guys, I tried, I really did. In the end he drove off with them and now I feel like a con artist or something. IMG_4815.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

So I was selling a set of Nike Vapor Pro irons on a classifieds site in Utah. They were in MINT condition with X100s AMT 4-PW. I stated the specs and everything and even linked a couple of review of the clubs so people would know what they were buying. Well yesterday a kid contacted me and told me that he was really interested and we talked about he price and came to an understanding. So I meet up with him and he takes the iron and asks, "What does X100 mean?". I just kinda sat there for a few seconds then asked him how much he golfs and more questions about his game. Well he just started a months ago and loves it and is now golfing like 3 times a week. After more questions I found out he knew nothing about Flex, MB, CB... I mean any golf term. Long story short I literally tried to convince him not to buy them but to try something a little more forgiving but over and over he said, "but they look so awesome" and "I'm sure I'll be fine".

I mean really guys, I tried, I really did. In the end he drove off with them and now I feel like a con artist or something. attachicon.gifIMG_4815.JPG

Those ARE some awesome looking clubs though. I feel like you should be able to sleep with a clear conscience that you did your best to steer him in the right direction and he still drove off the cliff.

• Like 3

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I'm a believer that you should play what appeals to you, if you're just an average golfer who's looking to have fun. Hopefully that's what he's trying to do, because he's gonna have a hard time with those.

But damn, those are C R I S P.

• Like 3

:ping-small: G400 Max

:ping-small: G410 3W

:ping-small: G410 3 & 4 Crossover

:ping-small: i200 5-PW

:vokey-small: Vokey SM7 | 52-56-60

:taylormade-small: Taylormade Spider X

That's hilarious. How old was this kid, and did he know the difference between a 9 iron and a 5 iron?

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 1

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

He was probably late 20s I think and honestly don't think he knew much with golf terms. I asked him what flex he played and he said he didn't know but "swung hard so I'll be alright". Like really I didn't want to insult this kid but... I feel terrible

• Like 1

:srixon-small: Z765 (Project X HRZDUS Yellow 6.0 63g)

:srixon-small:  Z45 (Kuro Kage stiff flex 70g)

:srixon-small:  U65 20* (Miyazaki X-stiff)

:nike-small: VR Pro Combo 4-PW (Project X PXI 6.5)

:nike-small: Engage wedges 52* 58*

:wilson_staff_small: 8802

You did the best you could....hewill either learn to hit them or sell them in a few months to buy something else.

:cobra-small: King F7+ UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 6F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 6-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:cobra-small: King PuR Wedges 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 3.0 grip

Arccos Generation 1 Sensors on all clubs

Snell MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

He was probably late 20s I think and honestly don't think he knew much with golf terms. I asked him what flex he played and he said he didn't know but "swung hard so I'll be alright". Like really I didn't want to insult this kid but... I feel terrible

Ha! That reminds me of a time I went to Dick's (I know I know, first mistake) looking for some stiffer wedge shafts. I ask the kid and he picks up one of the steel shafts, starts bending it, and goes "well these metal ones are about as stiff as it gets."

I walked/ran right out of the store.

IMG_4229.PNG

Jynx! You both owe me a coke

• Like 2

Hey you gave him the info and tried to dissuade him don't feel bad.

Maybe he loves them, practices and does fine.

• Like 1

Ping G410 - turned down to11.25 degrees, neutral setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

Wilson D7 forged 6-GW -  Mamiya recoil 460 R flex

SCOR 52,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Currently testing Edison wedges to replace SCORS that are wearing out. Also auditions for the 14th spot in the bag.  Current possibilities are a Ping 26 degree hybrid - duplicates the 9 wood or 5 iron but would be used almost exclusively for chipping or Tour Exotics 3 wood simply because you can carry 14 clubs and I might occasionally hit it in certain unusual wind conditions once every four or five rounds. 

Your conscience should be clear, you can't control what someone else does when you provide all of the need information for them to make an intelligent decision.  Like others have said, maybe he can hit them fairly well and if not hopefully he will have the good sense to sell them soon and get something better suited for him. 

• Like 1

Driver -  :callaway-small:  Epic Flash 
Woods - :callaway-small:   Mavrik 3 Wood & Epic Flash  Heavenwood
Hybrid - :callaway-small:   Epic Flash 4H
Irons - :callaway-small:   Rogue X 5 - AW
Wedges -  :cleveland-small:  CBX2 54* & 58*
Putter -   :EVNROLL: ER2
Rangefinder - Bushnell Pro XE
Ball - :Snell: MTB-X

Bag -  2020 Bag Boy Chiller Cart Bag

How many times have you bought something on impulse? I know I have and hopefully that young buck will hit the jackpot. If not he'll be wiser next go round

• Like 2

Callaway  Epic Flash 10.5 Driver
Callaway MAVRIK MAX 3 - wood
Callaway Big Bertha 2019  4 & 5 hybrid 
Tommy Armour 845 MAX 6 - GW Irons
Cleveland CBX 2 54 Degree SW
Cleveland CBX Full-Face Wedge 58 degree

Putters:
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Big Seven Arm Lock Putter
Odyssey Triple Track 2-Ball Putter
Odyssey Triple Track 10 Putter
Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 10.5C Putter
Cleveland Huntington Beach SOFT Premier 11 Putter

Utility club:  Square Strike Wedge 45 degree
aka pocket picker

Maybe if he learns to hit those irons from the start, he will be better off in the long run...

• Like 4

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

You did great IMHO You were honest and that is what counts. I hate to say it but honest folks like you are a rare bird these days. Again IMHO you should be able to look at yourself shaving in the mirror every morning.

Driver --- TM M-6 Evenflow 5.5 R 45 gr--- 4W Adams Tight Lies 16* Bassara 55g R flex-- 5W Adams Tight Lies 19* Bassara 55g R Flex--- Irons 5 thru PW Taylor Made TP CB ( 2018)  Steelfiber I 95 R Flex--- GW Callaway X Jaws CC 52* stock steel shaft--- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400--- Putter Scotty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft "Rusty" Bag Old School Jones Classic 

Ha! That reminds me of a time I went to Dick's (I know I know, first mistake) looking for some stiffer wedge shafts. I ask the kid and he picks up one of the steel shafts, starts bending it, and goes "well these metal ones are about as stiff as it gets."

I walked/ran right out of the store.

attachicon.gifIMG_4229.PNG

Jynx! You both owe me a coke

He probably got away with making quite a few sales like that. For every one person like you that knows his stuff there are at least 10 who do not know Jack.

• Like 1

Driver --- TM M-6 Evenflow 5.5 R 45 gr--- 4W Adams Tight Lies 16* Bassara 55g R flex-- 5W Adams Tight Lies 19* Bassara 55g R Flex--- Irons 5 thru PW Taylor Made TP CB ( 2018)  Steelfiber I 95 R Flex--- GW Callaway X Jaws CC 52* stock steel shaft--- SW Cleveland 588 56* S-400--- Putter Scotty Santa Fe Bulls Eye Fluted shaft "Rusty" Bag Old School Jones Classic 

You did great IMHO You were honest and that is what counts. I hate to say it but honest folks like you are a rare bird these days. Again IMHO you should be able to look at yourself shaving in the mirror every morning.

Big picture, it's not like you sold him a gun or a bomb either.

I started before Ping came out with their cavity back. It was Wilson Staff, Ben Hogan, etc. Golfsmith sold a simple tool to check if ball was round. Lots of them weren't. Ram's 3D ball was the first ball I remember with a surlyn cover. Before that it was wound balata balls that were easy to cut and knock out of round. To quote Dan Jenkins, "Boss, you done hit a voodoo ball!".

Maybe if he learns to hit those irons from the start, he will be better off in the long run...

Yep, and you gave him the skinny as best you could. A sweet set of clubs with a hard to find sweet spot doesnt have to be and thing to start with. There was a time when a choice set of McGregors had to be figured out too and many managed it much to their benefit.

Some people will get what they want no matter what. I've played my best rounds with the forged blades I'm using compared to the callaways or m2s I was using previously. Sometimes playing with a club that's harder makes you better.

Sent from my LG-H820 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I mean really guys, I tried, I really did. In the end he drove off with them and now I feel like a con artist or something. attachicon.gifIMG_4815.JPG

I think you did the youngster a favor. He'll likely learn how to strike the ball better with those clubs rather than GIs, over time. (I wish I was playing 3 times per week)

Sent from my 831C using MyGolfSpy mobile app