Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Daly angered over cocktail bearing his name

GolfSpy_X

• SPY VIP

A cocktail named for John Daly that features sweet tea, lemonade and vodka apparently has been around for awhile, but now it's turning up on bar menus and Daly doesn't much appreciate it.

One of his followers on Twitter alerted Daly to a Minneapolis restaurant that featured a John Daly on its menu, made with Jeremiah Weed Sweet Tea Flavored Vodka "and our own muddled lemonade!"

A new chain of restaurants in Southern California, the Lazy Dog Cafe, offers on its drink menu the "John Daily," featuring Jeremiah Weed Sweet Tea Flavored Vodka and fresh pink lemonade, "giving this refreshing cocktail a bad boy bite," the menu states.

Daly responded with these Twitter posts:

"For all my fans out there hittin the bars & events I'm lookin for your help--ANY PRINTED MENUS, BANNERS OR ADS promoting the 'John Daly' drink--Can you please bring to my attention with a pic and/or a tweet of the bar location & brand of sweet tea! Thanks for lookin out!"

"when distributors are putting their Vodka Bottle Label on Point of Sale w/my name & w/out authorization in order to sell it-TradeMark Infrin"

-- John Strege

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours-news/blogs/local-knowledge/2010/09/daly-angered-over-cocktail-bearing-his-name.html#ixzz10TMmcC4q

#TruthDigest

• SPY VIP

I guess "Fat Ass Drunken Golfer" isn't catchy enough for a drink name in the bar business B)

That will be how I order one at the course lounge from this point forward. :)

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Sorry guys, I agree with him 100%. His name is a property, and it's used to make money for himself, and anyone using it, with his endorsement it infringing upon his right, pure and simple. Like it or not, he's right and will be sueing whom ever is resonsable.

John Barry

Bring the Funk, Back to Golf

The Golfer's Trip

Hmm... I do tend to agree, but JB... do you think Arnie gets a cut for every "Arnold Palmer" sold? Once the concotion is know, and the name gets popular, people are going to be ordering it in bars no matter WHO does or doesn't get a cut. I mean, look at poor ol' Harvey Wallbanger. He didn't get a dime!

I do agree it shouldn't be a 'brand' name without his permission though.

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

• SPY VIP

Agree with John getting paid if there is an official version on the beverage with his name in print on some product. My understanding of this is that it is a drink name that has just caught on at the unofficial level. If a booze company is marketing it with John's name and image w/o compensation, that is not OK.

If it is just a drink name, then John should just be flattered. He has joined the ranks of Roy Rodgers & Shirley Temple.

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

Hmm... I do tend to agree, but JB... do you think Arnie gets a cut for every "Arnold Palmer" sold? Once the concotion is know, and the name gets popular, people are going to be ordering it in bars no matter WHO does or doesn't get a cut. I mean, look at poor ol' Harvey Wallbanger. He didn't get a dime!

I do agree it shouldn't be a 'brand' name without his permission though.

They do make an official Arnold Palmer drink in a can and everything. An easy way around that would be to call it a "half and half". I see that a lot anyway.

Yeah, I know about the drink in a can.. but I also see people order it in club house bars/restaraunts as an "Arnold Palmer" and its made on the spot and not out of a can. ;)

And I still feel sorry for poor ol' Harvey. He died broke! :D :(

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Yeah, I know about the drink in a can.. but I also see people order it in club house bars/restaraunts as an "Arnold Palmer" and its made on the spot and not out of a can. ;)

And I still feel sorry for poor ol' Harvey. He died broke! :D :(

Yeah, but all of the wall damage he did was legendary! :)

Archived