Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Crazy high driver launch (help!)

Hey all,

So when I first picked up the game I bought a Cleveland CG black custom driver in 10.5* with a regular flex stock shaft. My swing speed was slow (85-90 mph)and my launch was pretty high.

As my game improved and my swing speed increased (100-105 mph now) I realized that the CG driver was way too light and floppy, I could no longer feel the head when I was swinging, and it felt like I was swinging a sapling at a golf ball. so I upgraded to a Wilson Staff FG tour F5 in 9* with a stiff Fubuki z 50 shaft (stock). Now, My drives carry 250-260 on average and launch extremely high, so high, that they stop near dead when they hit the fairway.

I'm wondering if this is possibly my swing, since the driver is 9 degrees, and the ball is launching even higher than it did with the Cleveland.

Any ideas on what in my swing could be causing this? I also tend to launch my 3 wood high, but I don't mind it as much since I get the distance that I want with it.

Thanks in advance!

<p>WITB: All Wilson EverythingDriver:  :wilson_staff_small:  FG tour F5 9*3 wood:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 13.5*</p><p>Hybrids:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 17* and 23*5-GW:  :wilson_staff_small: C100 with KBS Tour V 100g shafts Wedges:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour PMP frosted 54* and 58*Putter:  :wilson_staff_small: Lincoln ParkBall:   :wilson_staff_small: Duo SSP(testing) and :srixon-small:  Z-star

100-105 mph swing should see a 250-260 carry. Sounds like you are hitting the ball pretty close to perfect.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Sounds like the shaft to me. I think you should go hit a bunch of shafts on a launch monitor until you find one that brings your launch angle and spin rate down.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

100-105 mph swing should see a 250-260 carry. Sounds like you are hitting the ball pretty close to perfect.

Thanks for the reply. I'm fine with the carry, but the lack of roll bugs me.

<p>WITB: All Wilson EverythingDriver:  :wilson_staff_small:  FG tour F5 9*3 wood:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 13.5*</p><p>Hybrids:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour F5 17* and 23*5-GW:  :wilson_staff_small: C100 with KBS Tour V 100g shafts Wedges:  :wilson_staff_small: FG tour PMP frosted 54* and 58*Putter:  :wilson_staff_small: Lincoln ParkBall:   :wilson_staff_small: Duo SSP(testing) and :srixon-small:  Z-star

Sounds like the shaft to me. I think you should go hit a bunch of shafts on a launch monitor until you find one that brings your launch angle and spin rate down.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I thought that could be it too. Good old google brings up a lot of topics about hitting down on the ball with your driver causing high launch, but I don't believe that I'm doing that.

It's hard to say.

Nobody here is going to know either.

Really the only way to know for sure is to go to a fitting center somewhere and find out what your spin rates are.

According to most data, with your swing speed that's about as far as you're going to hit it.

And to be brutally honest, lots of people "think" they hit it too high and really don't. ... And roll-out, considering how unreliable it is, is overrated - and the fact that unless your fairways are tightly mown like on Tour you really shouldn't be depending on much if any.

But I will tell you one thing, and that is if I had a nickel (okay, a dollar) for every time I heard a golf buddy complain about hitting it too high, and then taken them to a Tour event so they could see their drives were low in comparison, I'd be a rich man.

I appreciate your input. I definitely should go to a fitter and see where I'm at. Thanks!

Do you have launch, spin and land/descent angle? What many amateurs consider high isn't really high.

Your carry numbers are about right for your swing speed...seeing the other numbers will help if you may be able gain rollout

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Do you have launch, spin and land/descent angle? What many amateurs consider high isn't really high.

Your carry numbers are about right for your swing speed...seeing the other numbers will help if you may be able gain rollout

Haven't hit on a launch monitor with this driver as of yet, but I will.

I'd need LM numbers to be able to properly suggest something but it sounds like you flip a little through impact. A slightly lower launch shaft that is heavier could help some.
But as mentioned before, you probably don't hit it quite as high as you think compared to players on tour/ elite ams. High ball flight is usually a good thing in golf. Lots of players would be jealous of it.
I'm a high spin/ high launch player myself.
Back before I knew much of what I was doing, I'd spin back 6/7 irons on greens lol. So I get where your head is at.

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

That is a "low spin" head, all things considered, so I'd GUESS shaft. I know that stock shaft was terrible for me.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

high launch is good- no trouble in the air. Maybe your spin is above what it should be but a 250/260 carry is pretty good. Worth trying some driver comparisons on a launch monitor but overall if your ball aint bouncing wildly OOB or into the rough and stops where you hit it I wouldnt complain. Watch the tour guys on soft fairways and theirs do the same.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

As others have said your carry numbers seem spot on. It may be time to seek out a launch monitor/fitting and see what you're numbers there are. Ask to see your launch angles, ball Speed and attack angle (I believe that's the right term)

It may just be your release timing has gotten better/later (that may be why your club head speed has increased too) and you are delivering the club at a different angle than you used to.

Either way if you're getting the ball 250+ yards down the fairway I wouldn't change much. I've seen people ruin a perfect tee ball game looking for 5 extra yards.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Thanks all for the suggestions. I will play it out for now and see if I can get comfortable with my launch. Once I have some time to go to a fitter I can get a better idea of what's going on.

That shaft is a known "HIGH LAUNCH" shaft.....in fact the profile is high launch, low spin

and you have it paired with a "low spin" head....the two combined are going to produce and very high soft shot with very little roll.

I would suggest that you go to a good fitter and get them to put you through several different shafts to you find one with a lower trajectory.....you probably won't lose any carry but will pick up 20+ yards of roll depending on course conditions.

I was hitting shots like you described before I had a fitting and changed shafts....now I am hitting ropes that still carry the same distance but I get the benefit of lots of extra distance on the ground.

:callaway-small: XR Driver Matrix Ozik 8m3 Black Tie Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 3W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 5W UST Mamiya Chrome Elements 7F4 Shaft

:cobra-small: King F7 4 Hybrid Graphite Designs Tour AD-HY 95 Shaft

PXG 0211 DC 5-PW Mitsubishi MMT 80 Shafts

:cleveland-small: RTX ZIPCORE 50*,54*,58* UST Mamiya Recoil 95 Shafts

:odyssey-small: Metal X Milled #7 with SuperStroke 2.0 grip

:Snell: MTB

Twitter: @timldotson
Instagram: timldotson
Facebook: TimDotson

Hey, I am in pretty much the same boat as you. Ex-baseball player with no swing speed problems, but constant high launch and spin (3400) that stops dead on the ground. Exact same swing speed range and carry. I have a 12* driver and am researching and may get fitted for a new one soon. Would be interested to keep in contact.

2nd year learning the game, committed to the road to single digits and beyond

Unofficial 18 handicap

:callaway-small:  Strata starter set (all steel shafts)
:callaway-small: OS 3-hybrid
:callaway-small: MD3 milled wedges
Omen putter

Hey, I am in pretty much the same boat as you. Ex-baseball player with no swing speed problems, but constant high launch and spin (3400) that stops dead on the ground. Exact same swing speed range and carry. I have a 12* driver and am researching and may get fitted for a new one soon. Would be interested to keep in contact.

Sounds good! I'll add you as a friend and update you on any fixes I make.

It's hard to say.

Nobody here is going to know either.

Really the only way to know for sure is to go to a fitting center somewhere and find out what your spin rates are.

According to most data, with your swing speed that's about as far as you're going to hit it.

And to be brutally honest, lots of people "think" they hit it too high and really don't. ... And roll-out, considering how unreliable it is, is overrated - and the fact that unless your fairways are tightly mown like on Tour you really shouldn't be depending on much if any.

But I will tell you one thing, and that is if I had a nickel (okay, a dollar) for every time I heard a golf buddy complain about hitting it too high, and then taken them to a Tour event so they could see their drives were low in comparison, I'd be a rich man.

Solid response and great chart too!

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I've also heard of fellas letting the ball "creep" back into the middle of the stance over time without realizing that it's happening. My understanding is this could definitely lead to the results you are experiencing...maybe. Most likely not a factor here with an advanced golfer, but with this game....well... it's always best to sometimes reset/reboot... :mellow: 

In my       :ping-small: DLX Cart Bag:
Driver
:    :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 9.5*, Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60, stiff (MGS Official 2019 Tester)
3W:          :ping-small: G-Series SF TEC, set to 16*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
5W:          :ping-small: G400 SFT, set to 19*, Aldila Tour Blue ATX, 65g, stiff
7W:         :ping-small: G410 SFT, set to 22*. Alta CB 65 Red, stiff

Irons:       :ping-small: GMax, Green Dot, 5-PW, Project X Graphite Blue 6.0, 80-90g , stiff
Wedges: :ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth, 50* SS, 54* ES & 60*/8 Forged MGS Special from the Wedge Wizard, Green Dot, Alta CB graphite, 84g, stiff
Putter:     :ping-small: Vault 2.0 B60 Copper, 33", black dot w/GP SNSR grip (PING Sigma 2 Fetch under "see-trials")
Ball:       :Snell: MTB BLACK (MGS Official 2018 Tester for the :Snell: MTB RED)
Shoes:     :footjoy-small:  Classics Tour w/Black Widow Softspikes

Disabled Marine Veteran. Semper Fi!

#No apologies, just Play Your Best
#Powertotheplayers

I thought that could be it too. Good old google brings up a lot of topics about hitting down on the ball with your driver causing high launch, but I don't believe that I'm doing that.

I will tell you just about every amatuer has a negative angle of attack (hitting down on the ball) with the driver.

I saw this for fact during a demo day this week. We had the LM out and we had about 15 guys go through a driver fitting. Everyone one ranged from -.02 to -.06

Even the guy with a 112 mph swing carrying it 270 was in the -04 range.

Its tougher than we think to get that POA but I'd you do, it's like a magic 20 yard pill

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I will tell you just about every amatuer has a negative angle of attack (hitting down on the ball) with the driver.

I saw this for fact during a demo day this week. We had the LM out and we had about 15 guys go through a driver fitting. Everyone one ranged from -.02 to -.06

Its tougher than we think to get that POA but I'd you do, it's like a magic 20 yard pill

I'm sure I read somewhere that most tour pro's have a negative angle as well- I could be wrong but I remember because it surprised me

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I have seen this at demo days too. Another thing I've seen is golfers confuse launch and peak height.

Another thing done don't consider is what the ball does when it reaches peak height...the good is the ball that reaches peak height and rides that. The bad is the ball that gets to the peak height and then balloons up and falls out of the sky. This is typical of slower swings with a negative aoa that then add a ton of spin.

The outlier is the one that gets no spin and just falls out of the sky

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I'm sure I read somewhere that most tour pro's have a negative angle as well- I could be wrong but I remember because it surprised me

Yep. You are correct. The Cobra rep mentioned that fact. The difference is they have the club head speed and center face contact, so they aren't affected in the same way us mortals are.

I have seen this at demo days too. Another thing I've seen is golfers confuse launch and peak height.

Another thing done don't consider is what the ball does when it reaches peak height...the good is the ball that reaches peak height and rides that. The bad is the ball that gets to the peak height and then balloons up and falls out of the sky. This is typical of slower swings with a negative aoa that then add a ton of spin.

The outlier is the one that gets no spin and just falls out of the sky

Great point.

Yep. You are correct. The Cobra rep mentioned that fact. The difference is they have the club head speed and center face contact, so they aren't affected in the same way us mortals are.

We can't all grip n rip it. Some just grip n ri it lol

Tazz

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Hey all,

So when I first picked up the game I bought a Cleveland CG black custom driver in 10.5* with a regular flex stock shaft. My swing speed was slow (85-90 mph)and my launch was pretty high.

As my game improved and my swing speed increased (100-105 mph now) I realized that the CG driver was way too light and floppy, I could no longer feel the head when I was swinging, and it felt like I was swinging a sapling at a golf ball. so I upgraded to a Wilson Staff FG tour F5 in 9* with a stiff Fubuki z 50 shaft (stock). Now, My drives carry 250-260 on average and launch extremely high, so high, that they stop near dead when they hit the fairway.

I'm wondering if this is possibly my swing, since the driver is 9 degrees, and the ball is launching even higher than it did with the Cleveland.

Any ideas on what in my swing could be causing this? I also tend to launch my 3 wood high, but I don't mind it as much since I get the distance that I want with it.

Thanks in advance!

Man I don't know what you guys in New Hampshire eat for breakfast but I want some of it. You're phenomenal. And with a 23 hcp.!! Going from 90 MPH SS to 105 MPH SS is quite a feat. Not to mention your carry distances of 260! Sure it can certainly be done. Interested to know your age? I'm guessing not old like me (63) and many other active forum members. If you can now carry the ball 260 with little roll or no roll as you described; and if you could bring your height down then you'd be hitting drives well over 300 I'd have to guess.

Please share your secret.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm gonna say this: That stock shaft is killing you. If you're hitting 105, there's no way that shaft fits you, and since it's stock, it's likely even weaker than it's stamped. Everyone has said it already, so you know, you need a fitting. Do yourself a favor, and don't do one at Golf Galaxy, Dick's, etc. Go somewhere that has ALL kinds of shafts and heads, like Club Champion. If you go to the big box stores, they're still only going to try shafts that the OEMs give them in the fitting bags. If you're truly going to max-out your driver, you gotta go where they can help you do that and have ZERO limitations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

I'll be interested to see how my F7+ feels when I get it since it is"of the shelf" even though I chose shaft, etc..

Sent from my XT1635-01 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

:cobra-small:             F7+ w/Fujikura Pro XLR8 Graphite Shaft

Ben_Hogan_Golf_Equipment_Company.jpg.b9602c912623c841ad9ad52593c15dee.jpg                3-I  MPF H-Series3B2M graphite Shaft w/Winn Dri-Tac grip mid

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png            STi   Irons 5-SW   KURO KAGE  70IR Flex-R  Lamkin Grips

:cobra-small:             King F6 Hybrid Matrix Red Tie HQ4 Graphite Shaft

MALTBY.png.a2a7b0f0659df827f6200a68ab77f34c.png           Forged FGT  60* wedge KURO KAGE 70R SS cross Comfort grip

:odyssey-small:           O-Putter 1W

Archived