Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

2018 Official Forum Member Review - Bridgestone Tour B XW-1 Wedges

hckymeyer

Bradley,

great write up.

I love the organization in your write up.

And then fact you are still married after all the testing. Say thanks to your wife for this as your write up was great to read.

I think you did a bang up job of testing for a 27 handicapper.  

Kudos

Thanks Har, I was nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs. (I hope ole Gray see's this ;) )

Being the newest to the sport here and obviously the worst player in the group, I was worried I wouldn't have anything to offer. I worked hard to try and do my write up to benefit people like me, who are weekend warriors that are new to the sport and just want some nice wedges that perform and can grow with their game. Hopefully I brought something to the table unique to the others. I'm just glad MGS gave me the opportunity and I hope I lived up to the mods expectations, I'm sure they were nervous about giving me the chance to do this too. ha

RH:

Driver: :cobra-small: F9 9.0º - 14g Low - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Woods: :cobra-small: F9 3W - Evenflow White T1100 75G X

Hybrids: :cobra-small:  F9 3H - Aldila Green X

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 One Length 4-PW - Modus3 Tour 105 S

Wedges: :cobra-small: King Wedges 50º/54º/58º Versatile

Putter: :ping-small:  Sigma G Tyne 35"

Ball: Srixon Z Star XV

#cobraconnect19

Another thing on that Matt...

I didn't know what to expect, did this review with an open mind, and let the wedges do the work.

Like I said, they came with an automagically feature. Can't make it up. Nothing on my review is inflated, I gave the feel department extra points, well because they exceeded my expectations for a 10/10 so 15/10 was in order.

My review says try out forged wedges, and I'm not joking, just look at your round and how often you use wedges, I use them a lot, almost every hole.

Why not have a great feeling club?

I mean I am going to replace wedges at max every 2 years... might as well play what gives me the ability and confidence to pull shots off.... plus that forged feel is something to look forward to around the greens.

Another thing on that Matt...

I didn't know what to expect, did this review with an open mind, and let the wedges do the work.

Like I said, they came with an automagically feature. Can't make it up. Nothing on my review is inflated, I gave the feel department extra points, well because they exceeded my expectations for a 10/10 so 15/10 was in order.

This probably needs to be said in all caps and put on the title. After reading Stu's review (solid job btw), People are probably wondering if Bridgestone slipped some cash into the boxes they sent us. I promise they didn't. These things need and deserve more recognition. It still blows my mind that they are selling the black for like 70 dollars a peice. 

RH:

#cobraconnect19

This probably needs to be said in all caps and put on the title. After reading Stu's review (solid job btw), People are probably wondering if Bridgestone slipped some cash into the boxes they sent us. I promise they didn't. These things need and deserve more recognition. It still blows my mind that they are selling the black for like 70 dollars a peice. 

Damn, this is tempting. Maybe I need to inform the wife that my Christmas gift needs to come early while they are still available.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Agreed! Bridgestone golf CLUBS have to be the must under appreciated, under rated clubs out there... and I've only hit the wedges, I can only imagine the quality and performance of the rest of their stuff.

I know a lot of people won't give them a look because of who doesn't play them on Tour. Sneds and Kuch... and they don't even play the current model.

Not sure how big BStones market share is in the Asian market, but here in the 50... definitely over looked as far as I can tell.

Damn, this is tempting. Maybe I need to inform the wife that my Christmas gift needs to come early while they are still available.

If the new ones come here they appear to have a matte finish, similar to the ping wedges... and the stop sign is a frigging super man diamond... so they've got that going for them...

In case you needed some help, I found the chrome for you for 80.. ;)

Link

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Agreed! Bridgestone golf CLUBS have to be the must under appreciated, under rated clubs out there... and I've only hit the wedges, I can only imagine the quality and performance of the rest of their stuff.

I know a lot of people won't give them a look because of who doesn't play them on Tour. Sneds and Kuch... and they don't even play the current model.

Not sure how big BStones market share is in the Asian market, but here in the 50... definitely over looked as far as I can tell.

I know that I am a huge fan of the HF2's - as a forged GI iron, I have been amazed.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

Just calculated my handicap since receiving these, and It dropped 3 strokes. So there's that...Not sure why I didn't think to add that to the review. Maybe it's edit time. feels good to get closer to 20

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Nice work bardle. Keep working on that short game and it'll drop like a rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Driver: Ping G – Mitsubishi Diamana Blue 73 X (10.5 Degree)
3 Wood : Callaway Epic Flash – Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue 75 S (15.5 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Tour Edge CBX 119 – Project X EvenFlow Black 85 S (18 Degree)
3 Hybrid: Ping G – Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Blue HY 86 S (19 Degree)
4 – GW: Ping i210 - Oban CT-115 X (22.5 - 50 Degrees)
SW: Titleist SM7 S Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (54 Degree)
LW: Titleist SM7 D Grind - Tour Chrome - Stock S200 (58 Degree)
All Grips:  Winn Dri-Tec Midsize - Gray/Blue w/ 2 extra wraps low hand
Customizing:
Lime Green/Hot Pink Custom Paintfill - all clubs
White ferrules with Blue Stripes from Cell-Parts.net
Irons fitted & built by True Spec Golf
Custom Headcovers from Sunfish Golf
PING White DLX Cart Bag

It's crazy because Kuch has always been a fan favorite and one of my favorites.. and Sneds is also a very highly likable fella with some amazing skill. Not to mention Bridgestone balls are obviously in the "elite of the elite" and have been for a while. It will be interesting to see if any new leaves are turned over going into 2019 with new leadership at the helm. 

Remember Dunlop/Maxfli? at one time they were one of the top club and ball brands in the world.. circa 80's and into the 90's.. and then they weren't. Dunlop's parent company Sumatomo Rubber actually is the owner of Cleveland/Srixon and XXIO but they ceased from putting their own name on golf clubs. No longer is Dunlop's name associated with golf. Hopefully Bridgestone doesn't end up fading out like that.  

PXG 0311 Gen 5 9°/ Fujikura MotoreX F1 6X
:cobra-small:  F6 3 Wood 14* / Kuro Kage Silver 65X
:cobra-small: F8 6 wood 20* / Fujikura MotoreX F3 6S

:cobra-small: RADSpeed Hybrid 24*
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TS1 4-GW / FCM Precision 6.5 Rifle
post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg  TSW Wedge - 56/12
:edel-golf-1:  EAS 1.0 / Grip master 2.0 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Good point on the Dunlap stuff.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Putter: Mizuno by Bettinardi BC1 w/SuperStroke MidSlim 2.0 Flamed finish (1 Degree)
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

Good job Stu!

Thank you Shanks. But I will come right out and say it.. It's not my best work. By nobody's fault but my own, the deadline crept up really fast and I found myself scrambling at the last minute to put everything together including the write up..  and I'm afraid that will snow in my content. 

I didn't really get a chance to proof read last night either as it was too late, so I'll be going back through and poking holes and repairing my write up as it's live. 

Thanks to everybody for their patience! 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Outstanding job fellas! 

B81Smith: awesome vids man! I really wanted to get some shots of the ball dropping in from a distance but I was a lone wolf out there and didn't have an assistant. Hitting record and then sprinting out 120 yds to hit a controlled shot would have been an interesting task (for someone else) but I wasn't interested in doing that. Question for you, I see you had your gamers taped up. Do you think you'll have the need to add lead to these with the extra mass already added?

Shanks: I'm with ya on the shiny chrome. I can live with them the way they are but I've considered doing a brushed or satin finish job with 400 grit sandpaper and steel wool. I've done it on other clubs and when done right it looks pretty damn sweet. I may end up trying it out on these just on the smooth chrome parts. If I ever decide to go down that path, I'll send some pics your way. It's a very classy way to dull out some of that bling.

Another suggestion.. and I still can't remember who recommended this to me (I thought it was you) but on your 52* maybe try having it bent to 53 or even 54* to see if that helps cut back on some distance and add control. If you do ever end up swapping out the shaft please keep me posted on what you decide on and how it performs. One thing that I need to go and do is have all of the clubs lie tested just to make sure they're a match for me and my swing. I did have them all lengthened about ½'' so I know that can mess with the figures a little.

Bardle: man those are some impressive improvements from the first session to the last. You really took to these clubs didn't you? I'll come out and say it, this project has helped me in some kind of Mr. Miyagi/Karate Kid sort of way to improve my own game. It's like I was so excited to help others improve their game that I didn't realize the whole time I was becoming better through the process. 

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Bardle: man those are some impressive improvements from the first session to the last. You really took to these clubs didn't you? I'll come out and say it, this project has helped me in some kind of Mr. Miyagi/Karate Kid sort of way to improve my own game. It's like I was so excited to help others improve their game that I didn't realize the whole time I was becoming better through the process. 

Ha, you know its amazing what happens when you combine consistent practice and some fantastic clubs....

RH:

#cobraconnect19

Outstanding job fellas!

B81Smith: awesome vids man! I really wanted to get some shots of the ball dropping in from a distance but I was a lone wolf out there and didn't have an assistant. Hitting record and then sprinting out 120 yds to hit a controlled shot would have been an interesting task (for someone else) but I wasn't interested in doing that. Question for you, I see you had your gamers taped up. Do you think you'll have the need to add lead to these with the extra mass already added?

I like a heavier feel especially in the wedges. I like D5 or more and I had to get used to these as is for testing purposes so I may put on lead tape if needed but currently I'm gaming them so I've adjusted nicely. I was worried but I've definitely figured it out and my distance control is spot on.

I'm sure I've improved due to the amount of wedge practice I've gotten. If I could I'd practice everyday on short game but I can't. The drive is there but time isn't.

Ben S
Hailing from N Aurora IL

WITB:
Customizing:
PING White DLX Cart Bag

I like a heavier feel especially in the wedges. I like D5 or more and I had to get used to these as is for testing purposes so I may put on lead tape if needed but currently I'm gaming them so I've adjusted nicely. I was worried but I've definitely figured it out and my distance control is spot on.

I'm sure I've improved due to the amount of wedge practice I've gotten. If I could I'd practice everyday on short game but I can't. The drive is there but time isn't.

You could always do it up Rickie Fowler style and add a slug of tig weld..

Jk.. Please don't

RickieFowlerWITB2017.jpeg

Sent from my VS985 4G using MyGolfSpy mobile app

MAXFLI  Tour CG

A mention to Bridgestone might be nice (Hint hint)that there are lefties on this forum that are disappojnted, that after reading these great reviews that they unfortunately will be looking elsewhere for wedges that lefties can use.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

What's in my Mizuno BR-D2 bag

OFFICIAL TESTER FOR THE PING i500 CLUBS.

Currently playing Ping i500 w/ Alta CB graphite shafts 

:mizuno-small: MP 25 - fitted w/ Project X shafts - stiff

:titelist-small: 60  / 56  :mizuno-small: 52

:titelist-small: 910 D2 driver - 9.5 degree -fitted13   F 3 wood 13.5 deg   :nike-small: CPR 3 hybrid

:nike-small: Method mallet

Dexterity:

I shoot left-handed so no one can ask me "Hey, can I try that club?" 

Twitter @GolfingHat      Instagram  @Mizunostixgolfnut

Any chance the moderator can switch the forum pic to something other than my arse?

MAXFLI  Tour CG

Any chance the moderator can switch the forum pic to something other than my arse?

They can.... but they won't.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Never! The arse remains!

In earnest, the preview photo is chosen by an algorithm. If you want it changed, just post some more pictures of the clubs and it'll go away eventually.

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

IMG_3707.JPG

Here's my help with the arse problem.

I can't help but feel this will be an unfair comparison, but I await the video of your attempt at flop shots with the flag nonetheless... 😉

Self taught golfer trying hard to improve his game. Started playing early summer 2016.

Instagram @makingscratch : https://www.instagram.com/makingscratch/

Twitter @makingscratchUK : https://twitter.com/makingscratchuk

WITB:

• Driver : Ping G400 - Tour65 Stiff 44"
  • Fairway : Taylormade Burner 2.0 15deg - Reax-R
  • Hybrid : Taylormade M2 22deg - Flex-R
  • Irons : 4-6 Srixon Z765, 7-PW Srixon Z965 - Nippon Modus 105 S
  • Wedges
    • 52deg Cleveland CG15
    • 56deg Vokey SM5 F-Grind - Nippon ProModus 130 TX
    • 60deg Miura K-Grind - TT DG Spinner
  • Putter : Evnroll ER2
  • Ball : Vice Pro Plus

Proud owner of a slowly approaching complete archive of Titleist's blades circa 2000-2014 and a Wilson FatShaft CI10 blade putter in perfect condition (seriously, try Googling it and look at the state of the few that show up) which I bought when at college and just happens to look like it's stamped with my daughter's name, born 14 years after I bought it...

I can't help but feel this will be an unfair comparison, but I await the video of your attempt at flop shots with the flag nonetheless...

I'll try to get a flop chip video today. Hard to do and hit the ball at the same time... be a bit awkward to ask one of the college kids in the “pro shop” to video me. They are all to busy with fortnite...

I'll try to get a flop chip video today. Hard to do and hit the ball at the same time... be a bit awkward to ask one of the college kids in the “pro shop” to video me. They are all to busy with fortnite...

I actually ordered a gorilla pod after the mizuno review to specifically use if I get chosen for another testing.  Should make getting some good swing shots much easier

First battle scar... from this piece of crap range I have to work with....

attachicon.gif IMG_4149.JPGattachicon.gif IMG_4150.JPG

Ouch! Man I have a pit in my stomach for you. That is a serious chunk

MAXFLI  Tour CG