Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

Golf Trip Ideas

Jmikecpa

My son turns 13 in March and I am looking for some golf trip ideas. Right now I am thinking four days in Sea Island would be a great trip but looking for other ideas. Would prefer to stay on the easy coast, close enough to an airport and not a cost conscious trip. He only turns into teenager once and I want to make this one special. Welcome to any suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

A bit more exotic might be Bermuda, still off season, but it is just a couple hour plane ride from NYC. When we were there at the end of March a few years ago the weather was great and the tourists hadn't really hit there yet. Might be a thrill for him to go to another country.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

20 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

A bit more exotic might be Bermuda, still off season, but it is just a couple hour plane ride from NYC. When we were there at the end of March a few years ago the weather was great and the tourists hadn't really hit there yet. Might be a thrill for him to go to another country.

I played Castle Harbour on the Eastern side of Burmuda, once. 

Forget driver.

You have to aim for the closest thing to a  flat lie you can get, no matter what the distance might be.

Otherwise, you might be playing a shot standing on your ear.

Yeah, if your looking to stay in the US, I'd say Pinehurst. If you are willing to go international, I'd look at the Bahamas.

Wilson Staff C300 9.0* Fujikura Pro 58 stiff

Callaway Rogue 3W Mitsubishi Diamana D+ LTD 80 stiff

Mizuno MP-18 MMC FLI-HI 2 iron UST Mamiya Recoil 95 stiff

Ping I200's 4-W Aerotech Steelfiber I110 CW stiff

Ping Glide 52* and 58* stiff

Bettinardi Studio Stock #38 Armlock

Pinehurst resort and/or a combo of courses in that area. Lots of good courses around the resort 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Thanks for the ideas. We have already been to the DR and played at Casa de Campo. Will look at Pinehurst and will have to consider weather. Looking at the last week of March for the trip and not sure of the weather in NC during that time.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Thanks for the ideas. We have already been to the DR and played at Casa de Campo. Will look at Pinehurst and will have to consider weather. Looking at the last week of March for the trip and not sure of the weather in NC during that time.

Normally March is great.

Myrtle Beach will have better weather over Pinehurst.  Florida (Orlando) will have better weather than Myrtle Beach.

Frankly, I don't know what sort of son you have, but when mine turned 13 he wanted to ride roller coasters.  If you go to Orlando you can combine great golf with roller coasters.  Sure, it's spring break and the place will be packed, but if you are looking to score points with the kid, the only thing missing from that idea (golf, roller coasters) is to hit up the Disney NASCAR experience and let him take three laps around the trap in a NASCAR car.  He can't drink yet, so he'll get a buzz legally and an experience to remember for a lifetime.

Factor in the Orlando Magic schedule and you can do golf, roller coasters, NASCAR ride, and NBA game all in one trip.  I mean, you can't golf at night, so there you go Dad.  Wear that kid out!

• :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

Myrtle Beach will have better weather over Pinehurst.  Florida (Orlando) will have better weather than Myrtle Beach.
Frankly, I don't know what sort of son you have, but when mine turned 13 he wanted to ride roller coasters.  If you go to Orlando you can combine great golf with roller coasters.  Sure, it's spring break and the place will be packed, but if you are looking to score points with the kid, the only thing missing from that idea (golf, roller coasters) is to hit up the Disney NASCAR experience and let him take three laps around the trap in a NASCAR car.  He can't drink yet, so he'll get a buzz legally and an experience to remember for a lifetime.
Factor in the Orlando Magic schedule and you can do golf, roller coasters, NASCAR ride, and NBA game all in one trip.  I mean, you can't golf at night, so there you go Dad.  Wear that kid out!

That is a great idea and one for the family to do. We leave in less than a week for Orlando for my annual trip to see the mouse. I need to look into the NASCAR thing. I have done it myself at Pocono and Dover and it was a blast. My son likes coasters but that is something for he and his Grandpop to do. I am not much of a fan and never have been.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I know you're wanting to stay on the east coast and PH would have been my first suggestion too. Love the PH area. But since I'm assuming you'll fly - consider Alabama and the RTJ Trail courses. I can't comment on the weather specifically in March but...

I've played the 3-courses at Capital Hill, Montgomery/Prattville and the 3 in Birmingham (2 weeks ago). All of these courses are very affordable and very nice tee to green and all other aspects. It was somewhat wet when I was Birmingham recently. I asked a pro at one course when was a better time to come back to Birmingham and he said March-May. Good luck on your decision and trip.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Not sure if you guys know of the Youth on Course program, but I saw last week that kids can play courses #1, #3, and #5 at Pinehurst for $5. Throw in a round on #2 and/or #4 and you've got the perfect trip!

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

I would think that a trip to the World Golf Hall of Fame in Florida would be an enjoyable and educational trip with your son.    It has accommodations, golf courses to be played as well as the Hall of Fame and museum.   While you and your son could get some rounds in, ya'll could also learn and appreciate the history of the game together as well.  

I'll throw in Pinehurst as well.  He may be a bit young to appreciate some of the history there, but the golf is the best on the east coast IMO.    Also if he is inclined to read at all, have him read Son of the Game by James Dodson before the trip.   It's the story of how Dodson had to drag his son kicking and dragging to NC when he accepted a job there.  His son was a teenager and didn't wan to leave the NE where it was all he ever knew.    A really good father son story as well. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I'll throw in Pinehurst as well.  He may be a bit young to appreciate some of the history there, but the golf is the best on the east coast IMO.    Also if he is inclined to read at all, have him read Son of the Game by James Dodson before the trip.   It's the story of how Dodson had to drag his son kicking and dragging to NC when he accepted a job there.  His son was a teenager and didn't wan to leave the NE where it was all he ever knew.    A really good father son story as well. 

Just ordered the book for him. He is a reading and history machine so either Pinehurst or the Hall of Fame will be the trip. Just need to figure out logistics over the next month.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Just ordered the book for him. He is a reading and history machine so either Pinehurst or the Hall of Fame will be the trip. Just need to figure out logistics over the next month.

Cool. He'll enjoy the book either way.

Bridgestone Tour B JGR Driver and HF2 irons Pre Release Testing

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

On 11/17/2018 at 11:24 PM, Jmikecpa said:

Perfect time to go there. It’s the time of year we used to do work trip for golf to that area 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

• 3 weeks later...

After some research and taking the suggestions here in mind we are off to Pinehurst on March 14th. Should be a great trip for me and my son.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

6 hours ago, Jmikecpa said:

After some research and taking the suggestions here in mind we are off to Pinehurst on March 14th. Should be a great trip for me and my son.

What courses are you guys playing?

What courses are you guys playing?

I haven’t decided yet which courses we are going to play. Getting the location and dates nailed down was the first step. Will work on the planning this week with the big stuff out of the way.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

If your son is a reader and history buff, he might enjoy an hour or two at the Tufts Archives.  

http://giventufts.org/tufts-archives/

The Library is right in the middle of Pinehurst Village, and has lots of photos and information about the development of Pinehurst from a health resort to a golf destination.  Other cool spots are the public areas of the Pinehurst clubhouse, as well as at Mid Pines and Pine Needles, lots of photos from the early days.  He might also enjoy some of the articles at :

http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/

in particular the articles by Chris Buie.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Myrtle Beach.... You’ll have your choice of a huge number of courses to play.

Driver-    Callaway GBB Epic 9.5 Aldila Rouge Max 75X 

3 Wood- Callaway GBB Epic 15 Aldila Rouge Max 85X

Hybrid-   Callaway GBB Epic 19 UST Recoil F4

Irons-      Callaway CF Apex 16'  4-PW S300

Wedges- Titleist SM6 GW/SW/LW S300

Putter-    Ping Anser Sigma G w/ Superstroke Pistol GT 2.0

Ball-        Bridgestone B330/ TaylorMade TP4/ Titleist ProV1

Grips-     Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Grey

Annual trip to see the mouse ?

going to Pinehurst when becoming a teenager? 

Those trips are both easily $10k combined.Maybe I’m old fashioned or come from a modest background.But when I turned 13 my dad took me fishing.Actually instead of old fashioned we were middle class modest.And still am.What a lucky little dude.These trips would be a bucket list item for us.Boy golf forums sure arent  your every day joes 

Keep it in the short stuff

29 minutes ago, Edveed said:

Those trips are both easily $10k combined.Maybe I’m old fashioned or come from a modest background.But when I turned 13 my dad took me fishing.Actually instead of old fashioned we were middle class modest.And still am.What a lucky little dude.These trips would be a bucket list item for us.Boy golf forums sure arent  your every day joes 

Depending on the courses played it’s easy to get a trip to Pinehurst including lodging for well under $10k 

I also grew up in very modest surroundings and still try and impress that to my children. I have worked hard and been fortunate to be able to do these trips with my family. I have come to the realization that my children will one day move onto families of their own and I won’t have a chance to do this at any other point in my life. I could buy a bigger house or a nicer car but I can never buy back memories with my children.

An annual golf trip with my son is high on my list to do as long as I can. Some years it will be a bucket list course and others will be much more modest. It is about the journey for me much more than the destination.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

If your son is a reader and history buff, he might enjoy an hour or two at the Tufts Archives.  
http://giventufts.org/tufts-archives/
The Library is right in the middle of Pinehurst Village, and has lots of photos and information about the development of Pinehurst from a health resort to a golf destination.  Other cool spots are the public areas of the Pinehurst clubhouse, as well as at Mid Pines and Pine Needles, lots of photos from the early days.  He might also enjoy some of the articles at :
http://golfclubatlas.com/in-my-opinion/
in particular the articles by Chris Buie.

He is a reader and a history buff. This is right up his alley.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

10 minutes ago, Jmikecpa said:

He is a reader and a history buff. This is right up his alley.

I get to Pinehurst a couple of times each year.  If I can help with advice on anything, feel free to ask.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

I get to Pinehurst a couple of times each year.  If I can help with advice on anything, feel free to ask.

What 4 courses would be the must plays while we are there? I would like to play 36 a day but not sure the little man will be up for that intense of a golf trip.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Archived