golfpinseeker

How often do you use a golf range finder?

Our Sponsors

5 minutes ago, golfpinseeker said:

so you mean skillness on using the rangefinder, right, it will do better for users to know the working principle of the rangefinder before achieve good experience, such as what is golf flag lock, slope etc..

Yes, and most golfers get better as they use their LRF.  You learn how to lock in quicker, what's a real read vs. getting a hit on a tree behind the green, etc.

As for me, I use a very old Bushnell laser that I've had for years.  I shoot every approach shot over 50 yards, and I also shoot trees, hazards, doglegs, etc.  Even if I know the yardage, I'll use the scope to see the flag better, especially on courses that do not publish pin positions or have color-coded flags.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Rickp said:

One of our guys bought a Laser Range Finder few weeks ago. The grumbling has started about how slow he’s gotten checking, dbl checking distances. He was a little slow to begin with. emoji33.png

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

While I don't doubt he's a bit slow playing and using the LRP, part of the problem could be the quality of the rangefinder and whether the course uses reflectors on the pins. I use my LRF on different courses and those with reflectors I pick up the measurement even before I see it in the viewfinder. I use to have a cheapo one that didn't have either the pinseeker tech or vibration on target acquisition and it would take patience and a steady hand to distinguish pin measurement from the trees behind the green. 

• Like 1

While I don't doubt he's a bit slow playing and using the LRP, part of the problem could be the quality of the rangefinder and whether the course uses reflectors on the pins. I use my LRF on different courses and those with reflectors I pick up the measurement even before I see it in the viewfinder. I use to have a cheapo one that didn't have either the pinseeker tech or vibration on target acquisition and it would take patience and a steady hand to distinguish pin measurement from the trees behind the green. 

I’m sure he’ll pick up the pace as it’s a new toy.
He’s also a bit of an ole fart, like all of us here.

• Like 1

Occasionally - I have a gps watch with front, center and back but there are time when I want an exact number or I know my watch may be a bit off because of where the pin is.

Regardless I’m comfortable doing either, saves time over the old days where you had to pace things off in hopes that the 150 marker was accurate.

But I also know guys that abuse it as Rick described in the post above.

• Like 2

My experience with LSRs is that they make fast players faster, and slow players get even slower. There's a guy in my league, while a pretty good player,  is deliberate to a fault. (His brother is a PGA pro, and encourages him to "follow the process " - geez!) The rangefinder has made him even slower. Get to the ball, put the bag down, look at the shot, judge the wind, pull the rangefinder out of the bag, deliberately take it out of the case, shoot the pin, try to shoot the front and all bunkers, look at the green, probably shoot something else,  put the rangefinder back in it's  case, put it back in the bag, look at the green again,  pull a club, toss some grass into the wind, change clubs, and maybe hit the shot after three to four minutes. And none of this starts until it's his turn to play. There's another guy (me) who gets to his ball, shoots the yardage, takes a look at the wind, pulls a club and plays, whether I'm away or not. The other guy thinks I'm disrespectful. 

Occasionally - I have a gps watch with front, center and back but there are time when I want an exact number or I know my watch may be a bit off because of where the pin is.

Regardless I’m comfortable doing either, saves time over the old days where you had to pace things off in hopes that the 150 marker was accurate.

But I also know guys that abuse it as Rick described in the post above.

He’s a great guy, decent golfer but deliberate. The rangefinder made him a lot more deliberate.
If it continues I “have a way” of talking to him about it, nicely, very nice

• Like 1

On 10/28/2019 at 8:22 AM, GSwag said:

I use my @PrecisionProGolf Nexus range finder on every hole that ends with a green and a hole on it.  Best gift ever!

Wow! That's great to hear! 

And don't forget, your Nexus comes with a 30% trade-in discount to all Precision Pro Golf products. So whenever you're ready for an upgrade, just let us know! 🙂

That said, your Nexus should last you for many years to come!

Thanks again for the shoutout, @GSwag!

• Like 2

On 10/30/2019 at 5:32 PM, Rickp said:

One of our guys bought a Laser Range Finder few weeks ago. The grumbling has started about how slow he’s gotten checking, dbl checking distances. He was a little slow to begin with. emoji33.png

In our experience, a slow player is a slow player. A rangefinder isn't going to really exacerbate that issue if it's already an issue. He'll just be a slow player who actually knows which club to hit. 😉

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, PrecisionProGolf said:

In our experience, a slow player is a slow player. A rangefinder isn't going to really exacerbate that issue if it's already an issue. He'll just be a slow player who actually knows which club to hit. 😉

💯 agree @PrecisionProGolf! I caddied for a ProAm couple weeks back and my player had a range finder. As soon as he walked up, if there was any question in his mind, he scoped the distance, grabbed a club, and was ready to hit when it was his turn in about minute/ minute & a half. We played 9 in about 1:30hr and the total 18 in about 3:30, due to some slower players in front of us. They played the pace of the pro, so it made folks keep up!

• Like 1

In our experience, a slow player is a slow player. A rangefinder isn't going to really exacerbate that issue if it's already an issue. He'll just be a slow player who actually knows which club to hit.

Very True. Unfortunately this one player who can be slow now has a new toy to check every shot AND still use his Golfbuddy.
The guys will put up with it for a while then “mention” it too him.

• Haha 1

I have issues with lasers because my hands shake. I use a Garmin Approach S60 watch instead. It lists FMB, but also hole view, distance to hazards, Distance to layup, Green view, movable pin position, etc. I check hazards from the tee as soon as I get there, and am usually ready to go in just a few seconds. On the way to my tee shot, I switch to close up hole view on par 5s so I can assess whether I want to go for it or layup and what the best layup distance is. I switch straight to Green view on par 4s and set the pin to my best estimation of the actual position and plan the best area of the green to aim at. For partial shots, I use it all the way down to 20 yds, especially on elevated greens where you can't see the green surface. Green view is also great to see the shape of the green when it's obscured by mounds and traps and also just how close those traps are to the edge of the green. It has tons of other stuff it can do that I never mess with, but I find it great for golf.

BT

• Like 2

I don't own a rangefinder, but I think it is probably the one piece of equipment I need. When I play with someone that owns one it really does make a difference. I could understand how the use of them could get out of hand at times, but I have never witnessed it happen. If anything it speeds up the round because you can get your number so fast. 

• Like 2

I recently upgraded from a dying Garmin Approach S3 to an S40. It is a great tool and one i use more than i think i would need a laser. It definitely speeds up play and i trust the info given more than the lasers i see people using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my rangefinder.  I have a Precision Pro NX7 pro and use it all the time.  I also use gps on my watch as I use an app to keep track of score so why not have the front, middle and back green yardages from wherever you are on the hole.  I can say for sure that I've shaved some strokes off my game using my rangefinder regularly.  I've been able to dial in yardages better then ever  

• Like 1

I use mine on most shots. On most par 4's/5's I don't use it for the tee shot if I know the course but approach shots and par 3's - absolutely. It has had a real impact on my handicap as well. Knowing the yardage gives me a lot of confidence in making an aggressive swing and it doesn't take much time at all to use. When I got one I honestly thought it would prove to be superfluous but I couldn't have been more wrong. I have also been enjoying Arrcos - it gives good numbers and the ability to see the layout of the hole has proven beneficial as well when playing a new course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I just my rangefinder a lot!  It is the most accurate for measuring distance and when I can’t tell where the pin is I can get the distance exactly without guessing.  My GPS is great but the rangefinder is my go to when exact distance counts.  It is also great for measuring distance to a hazard or a tree or whatever if needed.

I have issues with lasers because my hands shake. I use a Garmin Approach S60 watch instead. It lists FMB, but also hole view, distance to hazards, Distance to layup, Green view, movable pin position, etc. I check hazards from the tee as soon as I get there, and am usually ready to go in just a few seconds. On the way to my tee shot, I switch to close up hole view on par 5s so I can assess whether I want to go for it or layup and what the best layup distance is. I switch straight to Green view on par 4s and set the pin to my best estimation of the actual position and plan the best area of the green to aim at. For partial shots, I use it all the way down to 20 yds, especially on elevated greens where you can't see the green surface. Green view is also great to see the shape of the green when it's obscured by mounds and traps and also just how close those traps are to the edge of the green. It has tons of other stuff it can do that I never mess with, but I find it great for golf.
BT

I just purchased the Garmin S10 watch and I love it. May replace the Golfbuddy Voice 2.