Jump to content
mackdaddy

Anyone have any info on the Arrcos caddie link

Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any info on the Arccos caddie link?  When is it going to come out, and what is the hold up. I love the Arccos data but I can't get comfortable with my phone in my front pocket. I also don't like to play with a watch on.  I know you can play with an Iwatch as the link but I don't have an Iphone.  Will any other smart watches work?  I guess I could wear it on my belt like the link.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think the Apple Watch counts as the Link.  You still need the phone in your pocket. The watch just allows you to view yardages and such w/out taking the phone out of your pocket.  I am also anxiously awaiting the Link

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My understanding is that the Apple Watch can work similarly to Arccos Link, but I don't know enough to say whether or not it could be used without the phone (I don't have one). I have read about issues with it working on the Apple Watch though so it doesn't seem like it'd be worth the investment if that's all you're after. I could be getting Game Golf and Arccos mixed up, but I want to say they used to have compatibility with Pebble smart watches. Not sure anymore though. Seems like Pebble is a thing of the past - at least I don't hear about them anymore. 

Last update I heard about the Link was that Arccos was near launch when the decision was made to add an additional feature after receiving numerous requests from users to include a button for marking the flag location. Haven't seen any updates since then. 

You can read more about the details of that announcement on page 2 of this forum:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I believe that @fozcycle is not thrilled with the Apple Watch and has said so here in the forum.

When I last checked on the Link, Arccos was not happy with the accuracy of the GPS, and they won't release it until it's right.  No word on a new release date.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like being able to use the Apple Watch, it works well and the haptics when it records a shot are cool. The only problem is that a fully charged Apple Watch only made it through 15 holes before dying. Bummer. Looking forward to the link!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, HardcoreLooper said:

I believe that @fozcycle is not thrilled with the Apple Watch and has said so here in the forum.

When I last checked on the Link, Arccos was not happy with the accuracy of the GPS, and they won't release it until it's right.  No word on a new release date.

I think foz has a series 2 iirc. They've openly admitted the older ones don't work very well with Arccos so I'm curious to see how the newer ones do. 

I'm not super adept at these things, but my understanding is all GPS devices will Max at the same accuracy limitations since they all use the same satellites. I suppose the receiver in the link could be the problem that isn't even giving them that. 

1 hour ago, jddaigneault said:

I like being able to use the Apple Watch, it works well and the haptics when it records a shot are cool. The only problem is that a fully charged Apple Watch only made it through 15 holes before dying. Bummer. Looking forward to the link!

 

Say it ain't so! Which one do you use? I just ordered a series 4 off a pretty good deal and am eager to take it out. 15 holes only would be a bummer. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I think foz has a series 2 iirc. They've openly admitted the older ones don't work very well with Arccos so I'm curious to see how the newer ones do. 

I'm not super adept at these things, but my understanding is all GPS devices will Max at the same accuracy limitations since they all use the same satellites. I suppose the receiver in the link could be the problem that isn't even giving them that. 

Say it ain't so! Which one do you use? I just ordered a series 4 off a pretty good deal and am eager to take it out. 15 holes only would be a bummer. 

I just got series 5. I will try today and see how it is. My previous experiences were not good. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I think foz has a series 2 iirc. They've openly admitted the older ones don't work very well with Arccos so I'm curious to see how the newer ones do. 

I'm not super adept at these things, but my understanding is all GPS devices will Max at the same accuracy limitations since they all use the same satellites. I suppose the receiver in the link could be the problem that isn't even giving them that. 

Say it ain't so! Which one do you use? I just ordered a series 4 off a pretty good deal and am eager to take it out. 15 holes only would be a bummer. 

I have a series 4. I’ve only tried it once, so I’ll have to see how it holds up trying again. Definitely a bummer to have the battery die from 15!

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've gotten used to my phone in my pocket but my phone battery will run down during round so I bought a Mophie battery backup case that is great, but any case can decrease shot detection, especially on short shots around green. So I'm pre-ordered on Link and hope they get the bugs worked out soon.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/14/2019 at 12:30 PM, Dr Strangelove said:

I don't think the Apple Watch counts as the Link.  You still need the phone in your pocket. The watch just allows you to view yardages and such w/out taking the phone out of your pocket.  I am also anxiously awaiting the Link

 

Not true. 

With apple watch you don't need to use your phone in your pocket at all. 

My buddy uses it with his watch all the time and it works almost flawlessly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jlukes said:

Not true. 

With apple watch you don't need to use your phone in your pocket at all. 

My buddy uses it with his watch all the time and it works almost flawlessly 

How's his watch battery life?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

How's his watch battery life?

Depends on how often he activates the screen. If he doesn't really use it for yardages or editing shots or placing pins then I believe he said it uses about 25% per round. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GolfSpy STUDque said:

I'm not super adept at these things, but my understanding is all GPS devices will Max at the same accuracy limitations since they all use the same satellites. I suppose the receiver in the link could be the problem that isn't even giving them that. 

Yeah, all devices have the same ceiling (because they use the same satellites), but they have very different floors.  The best GPS chips draw a ton of power.  My knowledge is about 9 years old, when I was working on a project to track high-value shipments on pallets using GPS devices, so I'm sure the chips aren't nearly as thirsty as they used to be.  But I can tell you that the GPS in my last two phones (Moto G6 and G7) are nowhere near as accurate as in my Samsung J7, my iPhone SE or my daughter's old iPhone 5S.  It's not just on Arccos.  I can tell in Google Maps as well - sometimes it will tell me to turn 100 feet or so before or after the turn.  I think better chips can get a fix on more satellites faster to make a better calculation.

The Moto G phones are great midrange phones, except for GPS.  I still use an Apple phone as a dedicated Arccos device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

I just got series 5. I will try today and see how it is. My previous experiences were not good. 

Worked fine on watch. No phone in pocket and easy round edit. It did use about 70% of battery in watch though. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, jlukes said:

Not true. 

With apple watch you don't need to use your phone in your pocket at all. 

My buddy uses it with his watch all the time and it works almost flawlessly 

 

13 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Worked fine on watch. No phone in pocket and easy round edit. It did use about 70% of battery in watch though. 

That is good to hear.  I had frustration with it resulting in me needing the phone in my pocket.  I will give it another shot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you guys sure?  This is on Arccos's site:

The new features and Apple Watch compatibility will be available upon initial install or update of the Arccos iPhone app. Additionally, note that the Apple Watch will still require your iPhone to be on you during play in order to record accurate distances.

Indeed this was my experience.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dr Strangelove said:

Are you guys sure?  This is on Arccos's site:

The new features and Apple Watch compatibility will be available upon initial install or update of the Arccos iPhone app. Additionally, note that the Apple Watch will still require your iPhone to be on you during play in order to record accurate distances.

Indeed this was my experience.

 

Yes

The app has to be running on phone but it does not have to be in your pocket. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Received my Apple Watch yesterday and took it out for a round today. It was a very seamless experience and I'm convinced I won't need Link at all. I get it though that not everyone can 1) play with a watch and 2) get along with Apple. Neither is an issue for me. 

I started the round on my phone, left it in the cart, and used my watch from there. I'd never consider entering pin locations or editing shots but it was great for easy yardages while still tracking shots. I played 9 and took Yardage on every hole plus answered a few texts. 13% battery usage is pretty good for that. I can't imagine drawing any harder on the battery during regular play  

Swinging with the phone in your pocket is one thing but I forget how intrusive whipping the phone out can be for the golf experience. Sometimes, it's nice to have fewer options at your disposal. 

 

Only weird thing is my round disappeared from my activity. Arccos glitched out when I ended the round so I'm interested to see what they say about that. I don't believe it's related to the watch but it might be. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...