Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Practicing with an arm lock putter?

GolfSpy MPR

As of this moment, I think I have the putter I'm planning to (at least) start the season with; it's a conventional 34" putter. In my putting stroke, I definitely seek to avoid the breakdown of the left wrist.

An idea I have percolating: has anyone here tried practicing with an arm lock putter as a training aid? It seems like it might help ingrain some useful habits.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

2 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

An idea I have percolating: has anyone here tried practicing with an arm lock putter as a training aid? It seems like it might help ingrain some useful habits.

As a tester for the armlock putter last year, I can say that they definitely DO help ingrain some useful movements in your putting stroke.  They strongly support rocking of the shoulders (quieter lower body, more active upper body, less activity of the hands, and similar.  While I am not currently using the armlock putter as my usual putter, I will sometimes pull it out just to work with it.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

Yes and no. The main issue with “practicing”’with an armlock putter is it fundamentally changes your setup which can cause other issues besides breaking down of the left wrist. I had the same issue and what my pro had me do was use an alignment rod and place it down the grip and the shaft and the up my left side under my left armpit. Kind of accomplishes the same goal with the unintended habits of arm lock putters. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

• 1 month later...

After trying an Odyssey Arm Lock in PGA Superstore for 3 days I decided to buy one 3 months ago. I have gone from being a terrible putter to an OK putter. It has eliminated any left wrist breakdown and promoted more big muscle usage. It did take a while getting used to having to play the ball in the middle of my stance because of the 7 degrees of loft. I have not taken any of my other putters out of their dark places to try to see if there is any improvement. As long as I have reasonable performance on the greens I will continue with the Arm Lock. 

On 3/20/2020 at 8:03 AM, GolfSpy MPR said:

As of this moment, I think I have the putter I'm planning to (at least) start the season with; it's a conventional 34" putter. In my putting stroke, I definitely seek to avoid the breakdown of the left wrist.

Personally, I don't think it's a good idea unless you are using an arm lock putter... ball position is different as is the putter loft.

I would do this...

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Check out the new wrist lock grip that Superstroke just released. May be just what you are looking for, locks the wrist and not the forearm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WITB 2024

Driver: :taylormade-small:  Qi10 LS 9* Ltd. HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60 TX

Fairway: :taylormade-small: BRNR Mini Driver Copper 13.5* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Fairway: :taylormade-small: Sim 19* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Hybrid: :PXG: 0317x 22* KBS Proto 95x

Irons: :callaway-small: X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Wedges:  :callaway-small: Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Putter:  :callaway-small: Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Ball: :srixon-small: Z Star Diamond

:Arccos:

• 8 months later...

I just got a stroke lab double wide arm lock. Unfortunately i need to get it bent upright as its about 4* too flat and im pushing everything right with it. Love the feel and the set up, but cant put with it until i get the lie fixed. While in lockdown this isn't possible 😞

Clubs.jpg.b0df6f27ceedde9520a039cf9e3b013b.jpg

Currently deciding what shaft to use in blank cells...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently bagging an arm lock putter as I have a tendency to get too wristy.  I putt like I'm trying to flip a Zebco 33  & lure into a fat bass's mouth. Flipping is the ticket for bass fishing however sucks like a Electrolux when putting. 

Edit to add I ordered a larger grip for mine.

JumboFlat-34-RWB-USA-FLAG__73592.1572459648.900.900-167x167.jpg

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)