Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

New iron fit moved my contact point

I went to Club Champion and got fit for a whole bag of new gear.  I love the way the clubs feel.  I am only having one challenge I am hitting the ball out of the toe far to often, that was not a miss I had before getting these new clubs.  I haven't changed my swing, confirmed by taking the old clubs with me to the range and hitting them in the middle of the face.  I suspect that it is a lie angle issue but I don't know.  The clubs feel great even on the toe strikes but I spent way to much to not have a center strike.

Any fitters out there that can give me some insights?

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

CC should have a guarantee I would hope.  Were you hitting on the toe as you were being fit?  I wouldn't think they would have let you out the door while hitting it on the toe.  Needs to be center contact & the numbers the best they can be for what they charge.  

WITB:  Do I like Titleist or what? 

Driver:     :titleist-small: TSR3 9* UST Mamiya Proto LIN-Q Blue 

Fairways   :titleist-small: TSi2 UST Mamiya LIN-Q Blue 13.5* 

Driving Iron:   :titleist-small: U500 17* :Fuji:  Blue Ventus HB Velocore 

Irons   :titleist-small: T350 4 & 5, T200 6 - PW UST Mamiya Recoil Dart F4 105g

Wedges    :vokey-small: SM9 48*, SM9 52*, SM8 56* Modus Tour Wedge 

Putter    :cameron-small: Newport 2 w/ Garsen Ultimate grip 

Ball    :titleist-small:  *ProV1 Left Dot

On 11/27/2020 at 3:45 PM, Larryd3 said:

curious if the clubs are the same length as your old ones and as noted above, have the lie angles checked.  

That is my concern.  My old clubs were 1" long and 1* upright.  He said that I was a standard lie and length.   I have emailed them but with the holiday I still haven't heard back.

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

1 hour ago, Mackdaddy9 said:

That is my concern.  My old clubs were 1" long and 1* upright.  He said that I was a standard lie and length.   I have emailed them but with the holiday I still haven't heard back.

That seems really odd as 1” increase in length is equivalent to 2 deg upright. So roughly std length, you should be about 3deg up. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

7 hours ago, rbsiedsc said:

That seems really odd as 1” increase in length is equivalent to 2 deg upright. So roughly std length, you should be about 3deg up. Someone correct me if I’m wrong. 

I’d say your correct.  That’s if we are assuming the clubs are even built to the correct specs. Stinks that it could even be an issue when your are paying for precision. I would check the lie angle to the build sheet, if they turn out right I would go back to CC and have them adjusted if it’s still an issue. Just had a friend take his irons and they adjusted lie angle at no cost

:taylormade-small: Stealth 2 Plus 9deg Kai' li Red

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 13deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:taylormade-small:Stealth 2 15deg Aldilla Rogue Silver

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal 4-PW Nippon Modus 120s

:vokey-small: SM8 54 and 58deg Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex

:titleist-small: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Titleist ProV1

:ping-small: Hoofer Stand Bag

Stewart Q Follow Electric Caddie

:callaway-small: 300 PRO Rangefinder

Official Nippon Regio B+ Driver Shaft Review

Official Stewart Q Follow Review

The answer to this is very simple.  CC has a playability guarantee;  you call them go back and hit them in the sim and see what happens.   If they are off spec or need to be adjusted they will do that for you.   This is part of the fitting process. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On 11/28/2020 at 11:06 PM, rbsiedsc said:

Yep. Which makes sense why his new clubs strike toe. Removing 1 inch and 1 degree of upright would position the club flatter and closer. But his body would still be compensating for the heely placement of his old clubs thanks to muscle memory. Which would mean the toe strikes.

This is kind of why I appreciate Golf Sidekicks mantra from a recent vid of "play golf, not golf swing." If you're comfortable tweaking your swing to fit the club's that technically are best for you, awesome. But if your game is developed around a funky swing or club set up, own it. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

I would think that would be more length and weight than lie angle. 

GARSEN GRIP TESTER

• Driver: PING G400 MAX, Ventus Blue 6x
  • Woods: COBRA F6 Baffler AD DI 8S
  • Hybrid: CALLAWAY Apex Pro, Ventus Blue 8s
  • Irons: SRIXON ZX5 mk2 5-6, ZX7 mk2 7-PW, Modus 120x
  • Wedges: EDEL 50 C grind, 54 V grind, CLEVELAND 60 RTX6 Low
  • Putter: YES Abbie!
1 hour ago, scooterhd2 said:

I would think that would be more length and weight than lie angle. 

If I remember right, TXG did a YouTube video on lie angle recently and it did affect contact point. I could be wrong, but that's what I remember. 

Rag tag bag, but it does the job. 

Taylormade R1 driver.

Ping G400 3 wood.

Cleveland Halo Launcher 3 hybrid.

Cleveland CBX launcher irons (5-PW). 

Assorted wedges (48, 52, 58).

Odyssey White Hot Pro 2.0 putter.

On 11/29/2020 at 1:06 AM, rbsiedsc said:

My clubs were 1" long because my hands are so big I grip the club at least 1" down the grip just to fit my hands.  I wear a size 20 ring, my palms are 8" across.  Where I grip the club when 1" long is at the standard height.

Did they specify a new swing weight for you? My last set was D4 and when I got my t100s they felt a little light and titleist built to d2 even though i requested d4. After some lead tape my strike moved from toe strokes to more centered. Could be a swingweight issue. 

Driver: :titelist-small: TSR3 8 Ventus Red TR 8X

Fairway: :titelist-small: TSi2 16.5 Ventus Blue 8X 

Hybrid:  :taylormade-small: Sim 2 - 19 Hybrid Tensei Orange 90TX

Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 4-5 P7MC Raw 6-PW MMT 125TX

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM8 50.10F, 54.10S - X100 & 58.04T S400

Putter: Lajosi DD201

:titelist-small: Pro V1X Left Dash

On 11/27/2020 at 12:34 PM, Mackdaddy9 said:

I went to Club Champion and got fit for a whole bag of new gear.  I love the way the clubs feel.  I am only having one challenge I am hitting the ball out of the toe far to often, that was not a miss I had before getting these new clubs.  I haven't changed my swing, confirmed by taking the old clubs with me to the range and hitting them in the middle of the face.  I suspect that it is a lie angle issue but I don't know.  The clubs feel great even on the toe strikes but I spent way to much to not have a center strike.

Any fitters out there that can give me some insights?

Problem number 1: went to club champion... they are literally hiring anyone as club builders right now... and it’s not like they did great work before hand...

Possible problem 2: club champion uses their own connecting system because they do not want to pay licensing for club connex the industry standard. Because of this they have had to source parts from all over to get around patent issue. The clubs you test have drastically different swing weights from finished irons... I would get those checked out vs your old irons.. swing weight changes can move your pattern.

Possible problem 3: could be a lie angle issue... take a look at you divots that will tell you the answer... honestly it would not shock me if this was on purpose to get you to come back in with the guarantee to get you to buy more stuff you don’t need...

You are correct that you spent way to much money, however this is a common issue with club champion... that’s why they push you away from google reviews to their own website reviews and such... take a look below... meet a guy who spent over a $1000 on this putter... dude could not make a putt to save his life... we joined up never meet this guy and first look I instantly new it was a bad build most likely from club champion...I told him to follow me home and I see if I could fix it... we’ll long story short I could not... somehow he got the steel shaft which normally they keep which I installed checked loft and lie which were the opposite direction of his fit fix it... took him 4 months to get another shaft that he spent $500 on that they would not take back... I built it properly for him... and he offered to pay me what CC charged him. when I saw what club champion charged I was shocked... the build fee WOW...never seen one so high... I could not take his money... he did get me onto his private club though for a round which was way better! 

67CC2A16-D02C-47C6-B0CB-3A3DB11C34B6.jpeg.91d502cdca913f3caefb8fc15d99315f.jpeg32DCD03E-A45B-4D12-894C-3A236FC13AA6.jpeg.4301b28bb5e58babc06ac49e3b4d3ace.jpeg76EC2B45-287F-466C-A208-9571475826B3.jpeg.abb117502d3f823b63bfa52df19522e3.jpeg

Driver:taylormade-small: SIM 10.5, Graphite Design Tour AD-XC 6X 

Woods:titelist-small: TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Blue 7X

Hybrid: :ping-small: G410 3&4H, Graphite Design Tour AD-DI 95X 

Irons:titelist-small: T-100 3-PW, Nippon Modus 120 X 

Wedges: :mizuno-small: T20, DG TI S400, 50/56/60

Putter:  :EVNROLL: ER1.2 W/BGT Stability Shaft

Ball:  :titelist-small: ProV1X-Optic Yellow

Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer