• Yes
    • No
    • Sometimes, depends on the course
  2. 2. What club did it replace?

• 4 iron or another long iron
    • Driving Iron
    • Hybrid
    • 5 wood
  3. 3. Why do you enjoy playing a 7 wood if you do?

• Consistency
    • Height
    • Forgiveness
    • Distance
    • Other - post in thread
  4. 4. What is the biggest strength of your 7 wood compared to the club it replaced?

• Consistency
    • Forgiveness
    • Height/Spin
    • Distance
    • Other - post in thread

I was an early adopter getting the OG Heavenwood back in the late 90’s.  I tried hybrids for a while but always went back to the 7 wood.  Try a 9 wood if you don’t get along with your 4 hybrid.  From my experience if you are someone who really picks the ball woods are better than hybrids, and if you SS isn’t 110mph you have no business hitting anything longer than a modern 5 iron.  I currently use the G410 7 wood and 9 wood. 

Ping G400

Ping G410 3,5,7

JPX 921 Hotmetal

Vokey 54, 58M

Odyssey #1 black

Can not honestly take this survey as I do not have a 7 wood and the remaining questions all revolve around having one

Chris poepping

Professional ski Instructor, trainer and coach

I put the pxg 0211 7 wood in the bag about a year and a half ago and will never not have one again! It replaced my 4/5 irons as my consistent 200 yard club. Some courses I also use it a lot off the tee as well because it's easy to hit fairways and with it teed up I can sometimes get it out to 220. Love it!

Cobra F9 driver, pxg 0211 7 wood, cobra t-rail irons, Cleveland wedges, oddessey 2 ball putter

I’m back to golf after a 25 year hiatus. When I was playing I had a whippy carbon shafted 7W that worked for me and Heavenwoods were all the rage. When I returned I started over with used Rogue ST-Max OS clubs and picked up the Heavenwood on spec. So far I haven’t really found a need for it. It gaps similar to my 5i, 4i, 5H as I’m rebuilding my swing. It’s a cool club though. I plan to keep it and keep experimenting. 

Callaway Rogue ST Max Woods/Hybrids/Irons, Clevelend Zipcore Wedges, Scotty Cameron Golo 6.5 Putter, Bagboy Nitron Cart, Bagboy Revolver Bag, Ecco Biom G5 shoes, 

20 hours ago, Michael.Sandoval33 said:

Still haven't pulled the trigger on a 7-wood yet, but they are definitely on my radar. So I answered No, and other to come back and say, I want one 😁 I have been looking at the Takomo 7 Wood and the Tommy Armour 7w that my buddy has and loves. 

DO IT!!!!!!

:callaway-small: Paradym 10.5 Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 3HL Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym Heavenwood Project X Hzrdus Silver
:callaway-small: Paradym 4H Project X Hzrdus Silver
:tour-edge: EXS Pro Forged 5-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 54/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 58/SS Nippon NS Pro Modus3 Tour 105 X Stiff (8i shaft)
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Seven with logo-bjm2.png.b7e1077b096fed17a2870b0f63b7837f.png Kotahi grip
seed.png.34e6908c56b2f4a28f3511fa62a86f0d.png SD-01 ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, :Clicgear: 8.0+

MGS Galway Bay Rain Gear Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60769-galway-bay-rain-gear-2023-forum-review/

MGS Star Grip Review: https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63328-star-grips-2024-forum-review/

I'm playing a Srixon ZX MKII 7 Wood. 

Callaway Apex 21s, Jaws Raw 52, Jaws Full Face 56/60. Callaway Paradym 7/9 Wood. Taylormade stealth plus 2 3W 

I've been using a 7-wood for over 15 years. I love the ease of hitting this club with consistent height, distance, and forgiveness. And, it provides a sense of confidence that I never had with the longer irons. By the way, the 7-wood is an older Cleveland Launcher that will never, ever leave my bag.

I replace my 3 hybrid with my Callaway Rogue Heaven Seven which gives me a high 170 yards shot. Very happy having this club in my bag, just gets tricky if the wind is up. 

Enjoy Your Golf

Iain H

I went shopping for one.  Found a 21 deg 5 wood that works for me.  I have a 5 fwy hybrid that is prob 25 deg.  So I have 2 clubs similar, one longer shaft, one shorter and higher loft.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

I play a 7 wood (Taylormade w/ UST premium shaft) based on terrain of the course.  If the course has lots of elevation changes and/or trees then I put it in my bag.  I really like how easy it is to get height or hit off a downhill lie.  It also helps hitting out of deeper rough.  I have tried 9 woods but found they loose too much distance.  

If you decide to buy a 7, I encourage you to get a upgraded shaft and the proper flex for your swing speed.  

Driver : Callaway Epic 10.5 senior flex

FW.  Taylormade M3ti senior flex 3W

Callaway Epic sr. Flex 5W

Hybrid   Callaway GBB 3,5 Sr flex

Irons Mizuno 900 Hot metal sr flex 4 thru SW

Putter Callaway triple track mallet

spent $25 on an old Callaway 7 wood to test it out. It's taken a little bit getting used to, but I'm starting to like it the more I hit it. I feel there's something about old clubs, given I still play a PT15 and irons from 1999

When my wife asked if I wanted to leave Maine and move to where she grew up, I couldn't say no to Pinehurst, NC. I honestly don't spend much money on golf equipment, but I'm constantly reading reviews in case I ever get ready to buy

I swing left handed and have been the State of Maine Left Hander's champion since 1997, the last year they held the tournament. I'm currently a 7.1 handicap. Trying to get lower, but my gut gets in the way.

WITB

Driver: image.png.2a9745c9eca1e1dcd4c3ecfd5b2823e3.png Epic speed 9 degree

Irons: :titelist-small: 990's S300 Stiff shafts bought when I was in college. (Received a personal use discount, otherwise would've stuck with my Hogan Edge's)

3 Wood: :callaway-small:  Epic speed 15 degree or image.png.188f225bd9daa89b3976cdaa079d23d0.png PT15

52/56/60 :taylormade-small: Z Spin wedges (heck of a deal $100 for all 3 at Dick's in 2013)

Putter: :odyssey-small: OG Rossie

image.png

I replaced all my Fairway woods with Hybrids.  ,  I find for me, they are easier to hit due to length of fairway vs hybrids. 
I might  sacrifice  a little distance but hybrids give me more control. 

I have been using a 7 wood since I stumbled into the og stealth wood setup. The 5 wood was the titanium with a ventus black, 7x, and the perfect next club happened to be the 7 wood with a KBS Proto 8x shaft. Several years later and only the 2 woods and the putter remain. I have since moved on to the PXG Gen 4 irons, and the driver is an older cobra rad speed that for some reason I hit better than the stealth 2 or the qi10. The 7 wood is the only club in my bag that never comes out. It’s the perfect 210-220 club for me. It carry’s high lands soft, and the right side of the fairway is not an option unless I want it to be. I no longer carry my 4 iron. I can use the club out of shaggy rough by hitting it like a chip shot and still get 150-160 out of it. It is my most versatile club. I’m just sad it took me so long to give one a try. 

For me the 7 wood was a good move as it allowed me to have a club for that 215-225 range. My 4 iron was topping out at 205 but more like 200 consistently, which left a huge gap to my 5 wood. I can choke down on the 7 wood and get something close to a 4 iron distance when I need to. 

For the love of the game!

Josiah

This is a HORRIBLE  poll.  If you answer "no" you do not use a 7 wood, the poll makes you answer the rest of the questions, which you can't.   This is why so many people on This forum is using a 7 wood.  Not a chance that 75% of people use a 7 wood.

Ping driver

Mizuno irons

Adams hybrids

Vokey wedges

Various putters

PING G430 Max and I love it. 190-200y carry and it’s good on tees, fairway rough and desert! It replaced my Taylormade M6 hybrid, which I liked, but the 7w feels like a can’t miss club. Fairway woods have always been a strength for me, so I love this one. Long irons were never a strength so maybe why the 7w works better for me than a hybrid. 

I am considering replacing my 3 hybrid with a 7 wood but not sold yet.  Still trying to figure out if that is a good fit for me.

Driver:   image.png.2dc5bdb33664fa9386091c2cd26565eb.png Qi10 LS 9* 

3-wood:   image.png.e14bdc3c2ba3ec551ce39db6a9b11f64.pngLTDx 15* 

5-wood:image.png.e14bdc3c2ba3ec551ce39db6a9b11f64.png LTDx LS 18.5*

Irons:  image.png.2dc5bdb33664fa9386091c2cd26565eb.png P790 2019

Wedges:  MG3 50* image.png.deae3a77e572f8e9b997ebd84d5161eb.pngSM8 54/10* and 58/14*

Putter:  image.png.c4263dd278ffabd32a9d6cda69b9a086.png Special Select Newport 2 w. BGT Tour 2 Polar Stability Shaft
Ball:  Pro-V 1x 

image.png.d62838b5e53334be2104fce83c0a7973.png

To senior players, the modern 7-wood is equivalent to an old 5-wood.
I answer yes to playing a 7-wood because I also play a 9-wood.

We don't even have to go all the way back to wood to illustrate this.

TaylorMade's original "Pittsburgh Persimmon" lofts, early eighties, were...

3-wood:  17°
4-wood:  20°
5-wood:  23°
with drivers available at 9, 10, and 12°.

The Titleist PT set with which I played for a very long time was 13, 17, 20, 23°,
although no club numbers were stamped on them.  With them, I believe the 15º was 
considered the 3-wood, which is similar to now.  The 13° model which I used as my driver was
considered a 2-wood.

TaylorMade BRNR…..13.5° driver (Mitsubishi Kai'Li Red 60  / Tour Wrap)
Epon AF-906…..20° driving iron (UST Recoil 95 / Tour Wrap)
Titleist T100…..5-9  irons (UST Recoil 95 / Tour Wrap)
Ping DS72…..putter
Titleist Pro V1x…..ball
Titleist Cart 15…..bag
FIVE FAIRWAY WOOD OPTIONS
EIGHT WEDGE OPTIONS

I had one in my bag for years (long before they became 'a thing'), and had great success with it. The loft of a 7 iron with the distance of a  3 or 4 iron.  Sadly it got plum worn out and has been replaced with hybrids. I would definitely consider going back if I find one I like.

My Taylormade Stealth 2 7 Wood with an X-Stiff shaft is quickly becoming one of my favorite clubs in the bag. Just this week, I put an approach shot 8 feet from the hole with a towering 7 wood shot over the trees to reach the par 5 green in two. I love how forgiving it is, and the consistency of down the middle shots that seem to drop at a much steeper angle of attack from 200+ yards than my 4 iron. I highly recommend getting one.

For questions 3 & 4, I replaced the 7 wood with a 3 hybrid. I regret it and will be going back to the 7 wood. My answers for both questions would be, "All of the above." The 7 wood was superior to the 3 hybrid across the board. Now if I could only find it. . .(Oops!)

Cobra Woods

Nicklaus & Nike Hybrids

Nicklaus Irons

Never Compromise Putter

Big fan of the 7 wood . I currently have the Ping G425 SFT . Love the height that I get out of it . Very consistent and easy to hit as well . Actually got my son the same thing !

SD

I have golf buddies who swear by their 7 wood. Not me. I have a Cleveland Launcher XL #5 hybrid that I hit just as far as my Rogue 7 wood. I hit the Cleveland so much better that I sold the 7 wood. The disbursion with the 5 hybrid is much tighter. The rails on the bottom give me confidence and I just like the look of it. Each to there own 🙂

Rogue Max Driver, Cleveland Hywood, Tour Edge E721 and a Ping Putter

BobbyGee!!!

On 1/23/2022 at 3:40 PM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

See if you can find a G410 7 wood anywhere.  That model is one of the easiest FW to hit ever.  I will have mine in tbr bag for 3 years in April.  Unheard of for any club of mine.  Ha 

I picked up one in a 9 wood recently. My first shot with it I was 210 out on a par 5. The green is narrow, three deep bunkers in front and it drops off into a hazard behind. It's normally never a green I go for in two as a long iron is dead even if I land it on the green. The 9 wood landed and the ball was less than 10 feet from the pitch mark. Incredible!

:titelist-small: TS2 - 9.0 

Callaway Rouge Max LS

:titelist-small: Ts2 - 3 Wood

:titelist-small: TS2 - 7 Wood

:titelist-small: AP1 716 - 6i - Wedge

:titelist-small: Vokey Wedges

Clevland Huntington Beach 1 Putter

Thanks everyone for all the responses!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I occasionally use both a 7 wood and a hybrid, depending on the situation and if I'm getting along with my hybrid.  But typically I would use the hybrid more off the tee and 7 wood for approach. Longest iron I carry is a 6.

Driver: :ping-small: Ping G425 Max ( Mitsubishi Tensei Orange 55g R)

Woods: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Big Bertha B23 3 Wood (RCH 55 Regular), :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Stealth 2 HD 5 Wood (Fujikura Speeder NX Red Regular)

Hybrid:  :titleist-small: Titleist TSR2 5 Hybrid (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 65 R)

Irons: :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Apex 21 DCB (Project X IO Steel R), 

Wedges: :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 50, :cleveland-small: Cleveland CBX Zipcore 54, :callaway-logo-1: Callaway Jaws Full Face 58

Putter: :cleveland-small: Cleveland HB Soft #8P (UST All-In)

Ball: :srixon-small: Srixon Q Star Tour