Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Poll: Driving Range Warmup Before Playing a Round?

Do you warmup with a bucket of balls before every round more often than not?  

283 members have voted

1. 1. Do you warmup with a bucket of balls before every round more often than not?

• Yes.
    • No, I’m only on the driving range for practice.

9 of the 13 courses I regularly play, don't have practice ranges.  Instead, they offer a "batting cage" with one or two stations...always too crowded to hit more than 5-10 shots.  Instead, I've taken to stretching, especially shoulder/rotator cuffs and making a few swings with an Orange Whip. 4:20 rounds are pretty "standard" - not sure I'd be thrilled with adding another 30 minutes of range time.

Cobra LTDx LS (Hzrdus Smoke Black, S), Ping i3 (Recoil S), Cobra one length wedges (KBS Tour), L.A.B. DF 2.1 putter

We have  a practice green, two nets and a range where the maximum club allowed is 7i. I do always play better though if I have hit a bucket (of my own balls) to loosen up, 50yds 75yds 100yds 125yds up hill. 

Have been working on a more structured putting regime but there are no straight putts on our green so very much speed training and assessing damp and wind.

Callaway XR Driver - Aldila NV Green Shaft 55g Stiff

Taylormade M2 3 Wood

Mizuno T-zoid 2 iron

Taylormade M2 4 Hybrid

5-AW Lynx #BB,

Ping Sigma 2 - Tyne Putter

On 7/17/2022 at 9:06 AM, Middler said:

I used to hit a small/medium bucket before every round, but I noticed some good players who don’t and I stopped - partly due to nagging injuries. I do chip, putt (my #1 priority) and loosen up with an Orange Whip before I play, but no driving range warmup any more. To be honest, it hasn’t made any difference in my scoring, I keep stats. No right or wrong, just wondering what the split is between the options. I’m only on the driving range now when I am working on something specific, not to warm up anymore.

Warming up your muscles and getting the joints loose is the most important thing in my book. That’s also my professional opinion, I’m an athletic trainer. I only hit the range when I’m trying to work on something. And barely ever before a round. I do stretch, chip and putt and get my arms loose.  I haven’t done it yet but I think having a theraband in your bag would help get everything going a lot faster. 

WITB

Driver: :taylormade-small:Stealth Plus+  Diamana ZF60 Flex X Shaft

3 Wood:  :cobra-small: King F8

Hybrid: :titleist-small: TSI3

Irons: :titleist-small: 2019 T100s Limited Edition Black

Wedges: :vokey-small:SM6s 52, 56, & 60 (Black Heads)

Putter: :cameron-small:  Phantom X 5.5

Gear: Bushnell Wingman & Shot Scope Pro LX+w/H4 for yardages. 

Stat Tracking: The Grint App

I play everyday at my Club so I dont hit a full bucket. I have a specific routine:

stretching - putting green - half wedges (3 balls) - full wedges (3 balls) - 7 Iron (3 balls) - 3W (3 balls) - Driver (3 balls)

Then I hit 2 balls visualizing the first hole I will play (usually Driver - 7I ) 

Then putting green again.

So, in total not more than 17-20 balls.

When I have time before living home, I go into the jacuzzi to warn up those cold muscles (living in Canada)!

Playing one length clubs in Canada 

Driver - :cobra-small:Radspeed, 9°  (soon to be replace by :titleist-small: TSR2 thanks to 2023 MyGolfSpy PGA Championship Pool Sponsored by Titleist TSR Woods)
3 Wood - :cobra-small:LTDx, Aldila Rogue Silver 70-S
5 Wood - :cobra-small:LTDx, Fujikura Motore X F3 6-S
Hybrid - , :cobra-small:19° Tensei AV Raw Blue 75-S
Irons - :cobra-small:Speedzone One length 5-GW, 
Wedges - :cobra-small:King One 56° & 60°, 
Putter -   :mizuno-small:Mcraft II
Ball -   :vice:pro

Bag  :motocaddy:Pro series

In our group most guys do but like you said the best player in our group never hits a bucket.  He chips and putts and calls it good.  I have and I haven't hit buckets I honestly can't tell any difference.  No difference in scores.  I do use Golf Forever to get a full body stretch/warmup before I do either range or play a round.  I think that aids more than anything. One of the best rounds I had lately, was a last minute chance to play nines holes with a buddy from out of town.  We had time to check in and head to the tee box.  No buildup in my head, in jeans, couple of swings with the driver and we were off.  Wish I could capture that mindset every time I golf. 

WITB - Currently hitting PXG 0211s, irons, driver and putter.  Cleveland wedges.  Love golf, wish I was better at it than I am.  Try to play at least one time a week and get to the range or some other type of practice, putting, chipping a couple times a week.  

Most of the courses I play regularly at home do not have ranges. If I'm playing in a tournament or playing a championship course on a trip I'll always hit the range but that's only 20% of the time. I definitely don't put in a full range session either. I like to focus on wedges to get distance control (to an extent) down and the feel. I'll hit a few with my 7-iron and then move up to 3 wood and end on driver before the first tee to help get the bad shots out early. I spend a lot more time on the putting green and short game areas if they have it.

Current WITB:

Driver:                      image.png.ad4d66f798557c86ee934344d1a24ed2.png       Paradym 10.5 Ventus Black 6S

Fairway:                   image.png.3077938d887c52577470dba42554f0aa.png     ST-Z 230 3-Wood (15°) HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 60 Official Test

Hybrid:                    image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     ST-Z 230 Hybrid (19°) Ventus Blue HB-8 Official Test

Irons:                       image.png.a874a9a429fd132acae64968308d6a89.png     MP-18 MMC (4-9)

Wedges:     image.png.8641af187e8958a5ff8c3c2146b1fc7c.png  Vokey SM8 (46.10F, 50.12F, 54.14F, 58.12D)

Putter:                image.png.a85c45cc6c173613e90f345a17c689b4.png      Select Squareback 2 34.5 Ping Corded 88G PP58 grip double taped

Ball:                       image.png.c4e52864bdd9535caa79ae03a9376870.png        Pro-V1 (currently testing the Callaway Chrome Soft X LS Triple Track)

Reviews:

2023 Red Rooster Sussex Glove Official Forum Test

2023 Mizuno Long Game Official Forum Test

On 7/17/2022 at 3:10 PM, goaliedad30 said:

I have a very consistent 35-40 minute warmup routine:

• Lag putting: ladder drill 20/30/40/50 feet for distance control
  • Short putting: ladder drill from 2/4/6 feet, sometimes add gate drill if I've been fighting that range
  • Chipping and pitching with 50 / 54/ 58 wedges 
  • Wedges on the range until contact is crisp and consistent (usually 20-30 balls)
  • A few irons (odds or evens) - usually 10-15 balls
  • A few hybrid / fairway wood shots - usually 10-15 balls
  • 3w & driver off of tees until I feel good about today's shot shape and contact (usually 10-15 balls)
  • Last swing is a great shot with the club I will hit from the first tee

So, I probably spend 15-20 minutes at the short game area, and then hit around 50 balls on the range. I usually feel nice and warm, and positive about my contact going to the first tee.

@goaliedad30 Thank you for sharing! This is a routine that I would love to adopt. As it stands, I do as much warm-up as I can usually focusing on putting and chipping to get a feel for the greens followed by a small number of full swings just to knock the cobwebs off.

WITB:

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS Driver 10.5* (1* strong) with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Takkomo.png.2fd3ccfadfdb71195da27b04616ac6c5.png Takomo IGNIS 5 Wood with HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 5.5 shaft

Untitled2.png.80d892461ed08eaa7fe955b28995d7e9.png Ping G430 22* Hybrid with HZRDUS Smoke Red 80g 6.0 shaft

Untitled.png.5ecdabcbb4b233d7651619da934c3a6a.png Srixon ZX5 Mk II 5-PW with KBS Tour Light R shafts

Edison.png.1b14460d57753ae667327c0f7d3399a9.png Edison 2.0 Wedges 51° 55° 59° with KBS Tour 110 R shafts

image.png.a072db0e36674771c57e6581a9a7be30.png L.A.B. Golf MEZZ.1 MAX with LAB x Accra shaft

I've hit a point in my life where a warm-up is essential.  Not just for the golf itself, but it's harder to get loose and feel like I can move the way I need to.  Now I have a pretty standard routine that seems to work -- 8-10 short chips and pitch shots, 5-6 wedges, 5-6 short irons, 4-5 long iron shots, 3-4 fairway woods and 8-10 drivers, putt for a few minutes. I vary the clubs but use this routine to get loose, work on timing and contact.  Takes about 20-25 minutes total.  My scoring hasn't improved dramatically, but I have few issues with my back and general stiffness.

WITB

Driver:    :titelist-small: Titleist TSi3 w/ HZRDUS RDX Black6.0, A1 setting

Fairway:  :titelist-small:  Titleist TSi3 15* with HZRDUS RDX Black 6.0, 1/2 short, A4 setting

Fairway:  :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW, 19* with HZRDUS RDX Black

Irons:.   :taylormade-small: Taylor Made P790 4-9 with KBS Tour Flt 120 Stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM9, 50, 56 with KBS Tour stiff shaft

Wedges:.   :vokey-small:Titleist Vokey SM7, 60* with Tour Flt stiff shaft

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Odyssey Ten mallet

Ball:.  :titelist-small:  Titleist Left Dash Pro V1x

Grips:. Golf Pride MCC+4, 3 wraps

Hit at least a few before every round, Sundays are tough as we tee off at 7am.  Always have found water balls/scrappers in the bag, as long as I hear a few "cracks" (joints not clubface and ball) before the first official shot, I'm good. 

Never practicing before playing, always getting loose. 

SRIXON ZX5 LS Mkll  HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0  

SRIXON Z F85 13.5° 3W & SRIXON Z F85 

PING G425 3 hybrid 

TAKOMO 101 4-pw (custom- Steelfiber 95s 4i-6i, 110s 7i-pw   BB&F ferrules)

PING Glide 2.0 50° & Cleveland RTX 4.0 Tour Raw 56°

EVNROLL ER5 HATCHBACK

SRIXON Z STAR Diamond & MaxFli TourX

NEVR LOOZ Pro Clip cart bag 

I always says I should get to the course early to hit a few balls on the range but always end up showing up like 10-15 minutes before my tee time and chip and putt a little. A feel that if I can get a few stretches in on the tee box I am usually loose enough for the first swing. Plus if I hit it bad the first tee I can always use the excuse that I am still warming up lol.

RD12

Typically I focus more on my putting and short game prior to rounds. If I have time before I go Ill hit some balls in my garage to warm up. Id rather mishit my first or second shot on a hole where I can recover than risk a mishit around the green or a missed putt. 

:Ogio: 2020 Convoy SE Cart Bag
:callaway-small: Mavrik Driver, 3W, 4H
:PXG: 0311 P Gen 2 5-PW
:callaway-small: MD3 S Grind 54, 58
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Double Wide
Maxfli Tour X Ball

I feel better on the course when I warm up.  My swing thoughts get organized and prioritized on the range so I don’t have to figure those out on the course.  I also try to hit some pitches, chips and of course putt before each round.  I put 30-45 minutes in before I hit the first tee every round.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

I normally don’t warm up a lot of times I plan to but by the time the day comes, I end up running behind and running straight to the 1st tee and then when I do warm up a lot of time to charnges into a practice session and I walk to the 1tee of the golf course more confused about my swing than when I left the house. So I like using a good quick stretching plan

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I often joke it takes 9 holes to warm up. Mostly because the courses I play don’t have a driving range. Those that do I’ll warm up with a small bucket just to get limber. Otherwise it’s putting and stretching. 

XXIO 12 driver; XXIO X wood; Cleveland Launcher hybrids; Mizuno Pro 225 irons; two Cleveland CBX wedges, one Callaway jaws wedge; Mizuno M-Craft II putter.

Yes, I'm one of those golfers who can't just walk up to the first tee and go.  I need to get loose and get my brain ready to go.  I stretch, I use a full-size Orange Whip weighted club to warm up and I hit the practice green to get an idea of the green speeds before putts start costing me strokes. 

I've invested the time and money in playing.  There is no sense in cheating myself out of the possibility of a great round (or at my age doing something dumb like pulling a hamstring getting out of the cart). 

Driver; Callaway RAZR Fit

Fairway and hybrids: Callaway X2 Pro

Irons: Mizuno JPX 825

Wedges: Mizuno JPX 825 Pro

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2

I usually warm up with about 20 balls on the range to get the blood flowing and body moving. At this point I’m not trying to change anything with my swing, just working with my one swing thought for the day. I then spend 10 mins chipping and another 10 mins putting to get the speed of the greens. 

Driver: TSR4

3W: Cobra F7

Irons:Ben Hogan Icon

50&54: Ben Hogan Equalizer 2

58: Taylormade Hi Toe 3

I hit about twenty on the range.  I end with hitting a few shots that I will hit on the first two holes,  an opening par 5 and short par 4.  I need to putt more so thanks for the reminder.

:cobra-small:  LTDx Drive

:cobra-small:  LTDx 3, 5 & 7 Fairway Metals

:mizuno-small: Mizuno Hot Metal JPC 921 Irons

:PXG:0311 Wedges--56° & 60°

:PXG: Blade Putter

:maxfli: Tour Golf Ball

use my "orange whip" to loosen up and stretch (3-minutes); then hit 6 and 7 or 8 iron  5-8 shots max); then hit driver until i am consistent with it (anywhere from 6-14 shots) then I hit the putting green for  6-10 minutes.

GENERALIZAITON

From reading these responses and looking at the corresponding handicaps, there seems to me a pattern that the better players are the more likely to hit range prior AND more importantly, with some kind of purpose in doing so.

Also curious, for all those with no range at their course, where and how often do they practice vs. play?

Last thought, how many go to range AFTER the round to work on something specific from how they just played?

Strange is just a different point of view

Just a small warm up and I play much better just 15-20 balls with PW, 7i, 5i, Driver

Driver: Callaway Rogue Draw, 10.5*

Fairway woods: Callaway Rogue LS 3 plus, 13.5*

Irons: 3i-Titleist U500, 5i-G- Callaway Rogue 

Wedge: Cleveland RTX ZipCore (56*), Volkey 60*

Putter: Ping Anser Sigma 2

Balls: TaylorMade Tour Response 

Rangefinder: Blue Tees

Having had 16 spinal surgeries, hitting a few balls before my round is necessary. I get to the course, stretch, then get a small bucket to warm up. If I don't, I'm afraid parts might fall off, lol. Seriously, hitting before helps me find my tempo for the day and I go with that. Sometimes it is not my optimum tempo but I go with it and don't fight it.

"It's only rock and roll...but I like it." - Mick Jagger

"It is not the will to win that matters-Everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters." - Paul "Bear" Bryant

"If anything is worth doing, it is worth doing with all your heart." - the Buddha

What's in the bag:

Driver Taylormade Qi10 Standard, 3W Callaway RazrFit Extreme, 5W - Cobra Fly Z XL, Wilson D9 4 hybrid, Heat II Single Length Irons 5-SW, Snake Eyes 60' LW

What's on my feet: Squarz/Under Armour Charged Draw 2

Bag Boy Quad XL Push Cart w/Bag Boy CB15 bag

Where I play:  Baja Country Club - Ensenada, Baja Califorinia, Mexico/Bajamar Oceanfront Golf Resort, Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico

I don't do a bucket of balls before a round. I will loosen up the back etc prior to my round, maybe a litte chipping and putting, but that is it.

My golfing partner does a bucket chipping putting routine. Then sometimes proceeds to pull hook it maybe slice off the first tee.

Whats the point I say under my breath.

Then I go on to beat him! 

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

I have a great range and practice facility and my home course - the only problem is as I have the first tee time they are often mowing the range when I want to warm up. 

I tend to stretch (more on that in a moment) and then I walk up to the first flag and hit short wedges back to the tee line (the pro shop is still closed) trying to make the ball stop at my pushcart.  So I at least start to find some club ground, low point, contact.  If no mowers I'll hit ten or so 7 irons, and ten or so drivers.  (already hit a wedge to collect the balls).  Then off to the putting green - if the mowers kept me from shagging my own balls I just start at the putting green and hit short chips to get some feel, then play "around the world" where I try to get down in two working my way all around the green. 

I've always done some quad and hamstring stretches, some side bends, tuck my hands under by feet, some side lunges... but after doing the Stack and listening to the value of a more dynamic warm up I think this spring I'm going to incorporate a shortened version of Sasha's dynamic warm up for my typical stretching and make that the routine. Especially if I'm denied some full swings. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

If time allows, I will hit a bucket just to get warmed up.  If more time, will practice precise shots toward targets.

With only a short time to get warmed up, will swing weighted club and hit chips and putts.  Putting and chipping is a must before the round.

Richard D. Shows II

Driver: PING G400 Max, 9.5*

Fairway woods: PING 425, 14* and PING G Series, 16.5*

Hybrids: PING G Series, 3H (19*), 4H (22*), 5H (26*)

Irons: PING 425, 7-SW

Wedge: Cleveland RTX ZipCore (58*)

Putter: YES! Callie or TaylorMade Spider GT(New)

Bag: Sun Mountain CX1 cart bag (Red, White and Blue)

Balls: Titleist ProV1, Srixon QStar (&Tour), Callaway ERC Soft, TaylorMade TP5

Rangefinder: TecTecTec!