Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Bump and run

If the greens are kept nice, then a bump and run is a great option. Bump and runs are usually used to bump over the fringe land quickly on the green then roll like a put. If you are short sided then this type of shot typically wouldn’t work.

I am not the best at these shots lol, I’d much rather pitch it halfway or near the hole and have it check and stop. 

I also do not like putting from off the greens because of the conditions of the grass, if the fringe/fairway/greens are in good condition then it would be fine, but most public courses are not in great shape 

I’ve seen instructors/coaches advocate for both.   I also recall an article or podcast that indicated higher handicaps typically do the single club approach  and lower cappers use multiple  clubs.  

the questions you should ask yourself is how well do I hit each of the shots?  Do you often thin or fat your high pitches, feel like you should be getting them closer, or get inconsistent spin?  IF so a bump and run might be safer and more effective.   Bump and run is more like a putt and you need to be able to read those bumps in the green to see how the ball will roll.   

I would suggest going to a chipping green and trying both for a variety of lies and see which one you get closer more consistently.   But you should practice both because there are times where one or the other is a better option. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Yeah you need to have both in your arsenal of shots IMO.  Yesterday I used both in my round.  Example I had a short chip like 15 yds that was over a mound and bunker to a pin that only had about 10 feet of green to work with so I used my 60deg and popped it over the mound to about 5 feet.  Bump and run wouldn’t have worked there. 

Lee Stanek

Driver: Taylormade.jpg.9d38498f8a6006a57c3d138bbf9964b9.jpg  SIM2 Max 9*

3,9 Woods:  Callaway.jpg.c961807c499184adde0c3ed28e3f228d.jpg S2H2 Big Bertha

4-9i,PW,SW Callaway.jpg.c961807c499184adde0c3ed28e3f228d.jpg  S2H2

GW Taylormade.jpg.9d38498f8a6006a57c3d138bbf9964b9.jpg MG3 52*

LW Adams GT2 Undercut 60*

Putter: Titleist.jpg.371c05d2e7430a89639ff5927b325962.jpg  Scotty Cameron Caliente

Ball: Play either Titleist.jpg.371c05d2e7430a89639ff5927b325962.jpg ProV1 or  

Like others said, it’s a great skill to have and a potential tool box. I used to strictly do bump and run shots but have moved more to nippy chips with my wedges instead and control distance with ball placement and speed of the club. That works for me in 90% of situations but YMMV. I rarely if ever try to flop a shot so the other 10% are some kind of bump shot  usually. 

The bump and run is great if you are on fast greens and usually going up hill you can dictate your distance the ball rolls by loft. I once saw a video of Furyk doing practice and basically having the same swing on each chipping club but the roll out varied. It’s also the reason the chipper came out, to basically get the ball rolling and using it like a putter. He goes sw-5i. Gripping down each time until it feel like it’s the length of his putter. I couldn’t find the video sadly otherwise I’d share it. 

Good luck on your short game journey. Have fun with it. It’s the fine details in the overall art of golf. 

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

I guess I'm not sure what I am, reading the comments. Maybe I'm a Hybrid.  I don't think I am a "traditional" bump and runner.  I am not taking a 7 or 8 iron and rolling it along the green when I have 30+ feet to go to the pin. 

However? Nor do I hardly ever hit the ball very high in the air from 40 yards or less to the green.  The only time I really concentrate on hitting it up is if I have to go over a bunker or am quite short sided with little green to work with, and I will use my 56.

I guess I'm mostly a "chipper" of the ball, but go by situation.  If I'm 10 yards from the green, and have 20 yards of green to work with, I won't necessarily try to fly my 52 all the way to the hole.  I'll use my AW, fly it to a spot, taking into account more roll out with AW, or PW, than I expect from 56, or 52.

On anything under 40 yards I am not taking a full swing with any wrist break.  I take more club, and just use shoulder turn to get it to the green.  I guess I just survey the situation and do what I think will get it closest to the hole, I don't really concentrate on the semantics of what I'm actually doing.

Driver: Cobra King Speedzone

Irons:  :callaway-small: Mavrik 4-GW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CG-14 56 & RTX 52

Hybrid:  Callaway Apex Pro 2H 

Woods:  Gigagolf  3W, 

Putter:  Ping  Scottsdale Wolverine

Ball:  Srixon Z-Star XV 

24 minutes ago, cnosil said:

the questions you should ask yourself is how well do I hit each of the shots

Exactly. My wife always asks me should she chip or B&R. My response is always - what are you most comfortable doing. 

I also think that course conditions favor one over the other. At our course here in Florida, the fringe seems to be more like the adjacent rough, while at our course in Ohio, the fringe is cut short and is very wide. Both chipping with different clubs and B&R should be a well practiced skill set.   

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

14 minutes ago, tony@CIC said:

Exactly. My wife always asks me should she chip or B&R. My response is always - what are you most comfortable doing. 

I also think that course conditions favor one over the other. At our course here in Florida, the fringe seems to be more like the adjacent rough, while at our course in Ohio, the fringe is cut short and is very wide. Both chipping with different clubs and B&R should be a well practiced skill set.   

When I don't practice routinely... it shows!!

Right now, chipping on our greens is extremely difficult.  Not because of the lie, but any lofted shot can land on the punched greens and bounce anywhere and usually not online to where you want it to go.  If I'm close enough, the B&R is more reliable; difficult further away from the green.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A lot depends on the approach into the greens. If it's fairly flat coming into them, then a B&R will work fine, but if they have up slopes then it's a 50/50 shot at staying on line or even making it on the green. It also depends on the depth of the grass in and around the green. On the course I play currently, the fairways have not come in and were playing mostly off of super thin lies, so I play the B&R often, from even a 100 yds out with the Texas wedge. Only real problem is that the collars are growing and the ball will jump and bounce all over the place, but at least I can get it to the green. 

Now the really good part is when you get it up and down for par or birdie, it really drives the guys your playing with crazy and their mumbling all the way to the next tee box....LOL 

Edited by ballhawk

Total Callaway bag - except putter

2 hours ago, Stuka44 said:

I guess I'm not sure what I am, reading the comments. Maybe I'm a Hybrid.  I don't think I am a "traditional" bump and runner.  I am not taking a 7 or 8 iron and rolling it along the green when I have 30+ feet to go to the pin. 

However? Nor do I hardly ever hit the ball very high in the air from 40 yards or less to the green.  

I'm with you, I generally "pitch" the ball for most short game shots.  Its rare I use a true bump and run, and even more rare that I'll try a proper flop, yet much of these discussions seem to divide short game into these two extremes.  

My most common short game shot is using my most lofted wedge, but with a normal set up, and moderate launch.  I can use the same club, played towards the back of my stance, to hit a lower shot.  I can use it to hit a "dead hands" low shot with more spin.  I can open it up a little for a higher launch and sifter shot.  None of those are "flop" shots, even though its my most lofted club.  I can also use a 7 or 8 iron, but its rare that the shot and the ground conditions in my part of the world make that a really good option.  And I CAN hit a flop, but its a pretty risky shot at the best of times.

For the OP, my suggestion is to learn a decent basic pitch swing, and a decent chip swing.  Then you can experiment with different clubs to figure out which one you do best.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

4 hours ago, Lee Stanek said:

Yeah you need to have both in your arsenal of shots IMO.  Yesterday I used both in my round.  Example I had a short chip like 15 yds that was over a mound and bunker to a pin that only had about 10 feet of green to work with so I used my 60deg and popped it over the mound to about 5 feet.  Bump and run wouldn’t have worked there. 

Bump and run is when there is nothing in the way between the ball and the hole. Nobody is suggesting to use a bump and run in this scenario.

Bit it also doesn’t call for a flop shot in the manner most think of a flop with a wide open face and big swing. Using a lofted club one is comfortable with all that is really need is to take a longer slower chip/pitch type swing that will naturally get the ball in the air

I can use a number of clubs depending on how far the hole is from the ball and what I want it to do and where I want it to land and also vary the speed.

If I don’t want it to carry too far and run out more a short quick stroke will do that. If I want it to fly a little higher and lane softer and not run as much an medium length swing with medium speed will get it done. I want a higher s*** just swing longer and slower ball will fly higher, carry further and run out less. Tweak those and I get a combination and use any of my wedge based on how far I want it to carry. Learned most of this from GG and watching Monte’s videos

I had a local instruct who recommended 9i for longer shots and higher lifted wedge for shorter ones

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Welp, I bumped one in with my short hybrid for a birdie today, so... yeah!  I may just play the bump and run on every shot going forward.  Going to be difficult with forced carry tee shots, but I'll figure something out.  😁

Cobra Aerojet Max driver

Cobra Aerojet Max 3 wood and 7 wood

Cobra Aerojet 4/5/6 hybrids

Cobra Aerojet 7-PW, GW

Cobra Snakebite 52° and 58° wedges

Cobra King Stingray 20 putter

It's best to have a large repertoire of short game shots, but the success of whatever shot you choose depends on the amount of time you practice it. 

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

My attitude is that you hit the shot you are most comfortable and confident with.  I rarely flop unless I am  forced to go over a green side bunker to a tight pin.  Within 10 -15 yards of the flag assuming no obstacles, I will hit a version of bump and run with anything from a a 7 iron to a gap wedge.  It’s all in the feel and challenge of the shot.  Anything with a lot of break, I play 7-8 iron as I treat it more like a putt.  I’ll hit 9, PW or GW on flat shots or uphill shots just to avoid any weird bounces but will still land these about 30-50% of the distance to the flag depending on green speed.  Outside of 15 yards I hit either 56 or 60 degree pitch shots.  I don’t use hybrid or 3W at all.  Bump and run is a great shot to have in your arsenal.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1

Hmm. Commentators on lpga coverage talking about using lower lofted clubs and playing more bump and runs.

Must be something to it

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I think it just comes down to the situation. But what I think is overlooked is just a regular chip. If you keep this same motion and just adjust the club for higher or lower I think you can cover 80 to 90% of the shots needed around the green with the one motion. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

Played a lot of bump and runs yesterday. Ended up going with 8 or pw on most of them. Just a great shot to have and use depending on the greens and seems to be really reliable too which is nice. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

This boils down to skill level and comfort.  For those with the skill to flop and bump and run effectively, then the decision boils down to the lie, type of grass, grass direction, and other specific factors.  Once both are practiced enough to become an effective part of your shot selection, the choice when you walk up to your ball becomes quite evident (you will know which shot to hit).  I wouldn't force one or the other if I didn't have confidence.  When choosing, remember that the risk/reward is usually greater (IMO) with the flop shot (it's hard to tell how the ball is sitting on the grass sometimes).  Better to choose the shot that will guarantee a putt for par even if it's from 15' if there is any indecision. 

Taylormade P790 P-5 / Vokey 50, 54, 58, 62 / Callaway sub-zero driver 8degree / Taylormade 3-wood / Callaway 3-hybrid / Taylormade spider X putter

There's no question that the situation should rule what options you have, but I was always a bump & run guy, and I got pretty good at it. But I got intrigued with chip shots even when a bump & run was very doable. I got decent at it (for my handicap) too, and I can even pull of respectable flop shots. It's fun to see a ball hit and check up. I can't tell you how many times my playing partner would start hooting & hollering about my shot that he thought was going to run screaming off the green only to have it check and stay.  But truth be told, I seem to be able to control the bump & run better resulting in shorter putts. And as putting is my greatest weakness and the single biggest reason for my very mediocre handicap, I'm going back to the bump & run as my go-to shot, unless I don't have a reasonable choice. 

:cobra-small: Dark Speed X Driver w/ :Fuji: Motore X F35R shaft, :srixon-small: ZX 5 Wood & 7 Wood w/Evenflow Riptide 5.5 shaft, :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi 24 deg Hybrid Iron, :mizuno-small: JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW w/Project X LZ 5.5 shafts, :titleist-small: SM9 54D & 58M deg wedges, :odyssey-small: Sabertooth White Ice, :titleist-small: -Pro V1X (preferred) or :maxfli: Tour X ball, :ShotScope: X5 Watch, Nikon Laser 500 range finder.

1 hour ago, Golfspy_TCB said:

This is a topic near and dear to my heart, and my score. 

When I was learning golf what seems like 100 years ago... my Grandpa told me over and over to use a 7 iron and let the ball roll to the hole.  He showed me his technique many times.  I also watched him try to loft a PW or SW over an obstacle (sand, mound, what have you), or attempt to use the 7 iron technique on a tight pin with no green to work with.  These were not pretty.  He wasn't comfortable with a chip or pitch shot that required the ball to get up into the air... looking back, probably because he thought he has to lift it into the air... and we all know where that is headed... chili dips, skulls, 2nd or 3rd attempts to do the same thing again.   

It wasn't that long ago that I was a one club chip/pitch player... if I was around the green, my log wedge came out of my bag, and I would try to gauge the lie and the green and how much spin I would be putting on the ball and how much it would check from said conditions, and I would "throw" the ball up in the air somewhere hear the hole and hope I calculated all the factors correctly for the ball to hit the green at the perfect distance and release to the hole the perfect way.  I was decent, but not good.  I gave away a lot of up and downs I have come to realize.  

Last year, I started practicing with my 50* and my PW and my 9i around the greens, and work to put the ball on the green as early in the distance as I could, and let the ball roll out to the hole.  So in essence... a combination of my Grandpa's teachings, and my own lob technique.  And depending on the danger between me and the pin... and how much green there is to work with... I could use anything between a 9 iron and my 58*.  I try to make my swing length, or how hard I swing on a pitch or chip as consistent as possible.  Same length swing with different club loft gets you different landing spots and different roll out... which allows me to really dial in my distance control. Of course there are outliers, cases where you need to swing harder (longer) or softer (shorter) because of the specific conditions I am faced, and feel comes into play a little bit more... but adding in the range of dialed in distances using "bump and runs" or what I would better describe as "loft and release control" based on the conditions has increased my up and downs (and chip ins).  

I tend to lean on my 50* more than any other option when chipping and pitching... I have confidence in that club's distance more than others, and I vary the position in my stance to increase or lower the loft at impact... and use the PW or 9i when I have a LONG way to go to get to a pin so I need it to roll a while, more as specialty clubs for chipping.  If I find myself using a PW or a 9i a few times a round... I know my approach game needs some practice so I'm not so far away from the pin... haha. 

wow, great post, a good lesson from your grampa and a fun tool. 

committed to performance excellence

I believe this is the "feel" part of the game, ie: what does this shot feel like, when you are around the green, I take in as much information as possible as I approach the green, that helps me decide on a lofted shot or a bump and run, when I started playing in the late 60's early 70's most of the golf courses were designed for bump and run, very few "hazards" in front of the greens, this was based on the style of golf being played by Hogan, Nelson, Snead etc. they hit the ball low and let it run forever as the fairways weren't irrigated so the ball ran and ran.. ahh, then comes along Jack Nicklaus who launched the ball high in the air, so course designers started putting bunkers, water, "stuff" in front of the greens so you had to fly the ball in. Now many of the young pro's just fly everything to the hole with their chips but they do practice the bump and run for sure. Another great "bump and run" I use when necessary is "blading a 56 degree" just off the green through some fringe that doesnt look perfect. I hold the wedge with a  putter grip and feel the chip just like a putt, blade the ball and it get's up on top of the grass quickly and runs nicely to the green surface, some players are using hybrids for this same reason. 

committed to performance excellence

• Guests

I like the way the high wedge shot stops.  However, on tight lies, such as those in Florida, it is almost impossible to hit that shot.  Either a chunk or a skull.  It's not like the grass in the north or east.  Even touring pros skull it. 

Much easier to hit a chip and run.  Problem is that  it won't go over any bunkers and it runs a long way.

• Guests
Guest Puff the magic dragon

As I see it, having spoken to a number of the best senior golfers in the UK, there are two different approaches - neither better than the other. Some use the dame club from every lie or situation and use their 54 or 56 wedge for every shot. This breeds confidence in that club from everywhere or any situation. The second is to use the least lofted club to get the ball about 2 foot onto the green so that it runs out to the hole - maybe a sand wedge or even an 8 iron. Neither is perfect, although the 2nd option carries the greater % of getting nearer the hole most of the time if the execution is not perfect. At the end of the day, like most things in Golf, it all depends on how much practice you put in. 

Try both and see what works best for you!

I'm all about the bump and run. Keep the ball on the ground and let it roll out, for me it's far more predictable than trying to loft one in there. Also far less likelihood of skulling a shot when bumping with a 7i or 8i vs trying to get cute with a high lofted wedge.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

As a 20 something handicapper I think its must have as others have stated the %s sit with those players chunking or thining it. I've dropped down alot in the last 2 years and it comes with confidence of those shots again as many have said.

In Scotland currently we have fast greens and sluggish fairways, so all about lie and distance. The hybrid is a great shout for the up and in. I started using it after seeing Morikawa use his 3 wood from the fringe in bad rain.

Callaway XR Driver - Aldila NV Green Shaft 55g Stiff

Taylormade M2 3 Wood

Mizuno T-zoid 2 iron

Taylormade M2 4 Hybrid

5-AW Lynx #BB,

Ping Sigma 2 - Tyne Putter