Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Reshafting irons?

So I posted this on another forum and the ppl said to just do it myself. 
I have a set of 2021 t300s in Aldila NVs 65gram regular flex. I just got fitter for a driver and my average s.s. Was 105.7 and I hit my 7 iron 170-175 yards. So I obviously outgrew my iron shafts. 
mid like to keep the heads just reshaft with a steel 105 g stiffs 

anyway I was told to just reshaft them my self is that a horrible idea for someone pulling graphite and has never done anything like that? So is it easy enough that someone with alittle handy skills could do it fine

Finally fitted for a driver couldn’t b happier Callaway Paradym RDX RED XSTIFF 65g titlist TRS2+, tsi2 5 wood, 2021 t300 5-pw, PXG 5 hyb, , cbx zipcore 52 Taylor made hitoe 56, hitoe 58*60*  Seemore model C ProV1x 2023

Am I correct in assuming that your plan is to resell/reuse the graphite?   if yes,  you can pull them yourself but I would strongly suggest that you get a shaft puller and watch some youtube videos about pulling shafts and pay close attention to the fact that you don't need a lot of heat.   It isn't hard,  you just need to have the right tools.    If you have no intention of reselling/reusing the shafts, then just heat and pull like you would a steel shaft since you don't have to worry about preserving the shaft tip.  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I do a lot of my own work and work for friends, and like cnosil said, just be careful. When you remove heads from graphite shafts you don’t want to be twisting and pulling like you would with a steel shaft. as it can damage the fibers.  You want to try and pull the head straight off if possible. I didn’t trust myself enough and just ended up buying one of these secondhand from eBay. 

https://www.golfworks.com/the-golfworks-enhanced-graphite-shaft-extractor/p/gw1009/

Funny story though, before I had the puller I went to Dicks to get a driver adapter pulled and I had to end up doing it myself because the person working wasn’t familiar with it… and I still got charged 🤣

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

This is something I am just getting back into. 

Have a set I am reshafting in the next week or so. It isn't terribly difficult and following the suggestions from the members above will go a long way to helping! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Unless you want to continue to perform these types of activities I would say find a club guy to get the change for you.

the initial investment to get this done could also make the task more expensive than you may want to consider.

if you are looking for another hobby and have the time to learn then by all means get the tools , do the job right with the proper tool to remove the level of error and be prepared to trade jobs for beer.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

In agreement with all comments below.  I enjoy doing my own work but it does take time assuming you want it done right.  Aside from time and money for tools it isn’t very difficult measure and measure again, swing weight determination is very important.  Let the epoxy cure for at least 24 hours before you try to swing them.
Alternatively,  PGA tour superstore is charging $20/club or if it’s a set of Irons 5 or more clubs they’ll do the set for $100.  

B_LinksGolf "Any day golfing is better than a day in the office"

What's in the Bag:

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST 3diamond LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

3w/5w: Callaway Rogue ST LS: Tensei raw blue 65g stiff

4i-6i: Callaway '24 Apex CB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

7i-10i: Callaway '24 Apex MB/Modus 3 130 X-stiff

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw (matte black) 50ºs-grind/54ºs-grind/58ºz-grind

Putter: Callaway AI-one Jailbird mini DB 35"

I received the counterbalanced shaft extender, new grip and epoxy from Golfworks. I removed the old grip, prepped the shaft extender, epoxied it in place and am letting cure overnight. Then tomorrow I’ll install the Golf Pride Z-Grip Cord grip. @McGolf makes it all look so easy which is inspiring folks to try.

:ping-small: CB-P226 Hoofer Cart Bag

:PXG: 0311 Black Ops 8° w/Mitsubishi Diamana S+ 60

:PXG: 0311 XF 3 wood 16° w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue

:PXG: 0211 19° Hybrid w/Project X Even Flow Riptide

:ping-small: G410 Crossover 4 w/Mitsubishi Tensei Blue

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym X 6 - GW w/True Temper Elevate MPH Official Forum Test

:vokey-small: SM9 54°/12° D and 58°/12° D w/KBS Tour 110

:EVNROLL: ER11v 34”  Evnroll ER11v Official Forum Test

Shot Scope Pro LX+ Pro LX+ Official Forum Test

:Snell:  MTB prime

:Clicgear: 3.5+

Thank you for all your comments. I could see myself doing club work myself honestly. Like most of you I enjoy everything golf. I mean this is my second season golfing and I already built an indoor simulator. Michigan kinda sucks most winters… I’ll be looking into a shaft puller and watching YouTube  tutorials on shaft pulls. And I just found this site that sells furrules and grips even set of both together.

now I just need to do a fitting to narrow down shag steel shafts will work well for me!

Finally fitted for a driver couldn’t b happier Callaway Paradym RDX RED XSTIFF 65g titlist TRS2+, tsi2 5 wood, 2021 t300 5-pw, PXG 5 hyb, , cbx zipcore 52 Taylor made hitoe 56, hitoe 58*60*  Seemore model C ProV1x 2023

On 4/20/2023 at 7:35 PM, GirlDadGolfer0204 said:

I have a set of 2021 t300s in Aldila NVs 65gram regular flex. I just got fitter for a driver and my average s.s. Was 105.7 and I hit my 7 iron 170-175 yards. So I obviously outgrew my iron shafts. 

anyway I was told to just reshaft them my self is that a horrible idea for someone pulling graphite and has never done anything like that? So is it easy enough that someone with alittle handy skills could do it fine

Watch YouTube for instructions for both kind of shafts.  I do all my own clubs now

TM Stealth 8. Degree.Ventus blue tr 6x

Tm. Sim 3w. Ventus red tr 6s

Tm. Stealth 5 wood.  Ventus red tr 6s

Callaway Apex Pro 21. 4-pw irons. 

Titliest 50 degree Sm9 gap wedge.

Callaway jaws forged 56 and 60 wedges.

Odyssey Stroke Lab. Big 7 armlock putter

along with what @hckymeyer said I would also suggest purchasing a cheap kitchen scale that shows grams.

dry fit everything, put it on the scale and write down the weights of each club. you want to make sure you have reasonable gaps in weight between your irons so they all have a similar feel.

this is where you can add weight tips, lead, etc.

it's a tedious process and it takes time but it's not terribly difficult.

this youtube channel is very very good when it comes to clubwork - https://www.youtube.com/@MOBILECLUBMAKER/videos

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

Had anyone built a shaft puller? I haven’t checked YouTube. I bet there’s a video for that too. Checking around I found a shaft puller on Amazon for like 159$ seems pretty ligit too.

14 minutes ago, GirlDadGolfer0204 said:

Had anyone built a shaft puller? I haven’t checked YouTube. I bet there’s a video for that too. Checking around I found a shaft puller on Amazon for like 159$ seems pretty ligit too.

Check this out: 

Are you going to be working with graphite or steel or both? 

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Both

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/21/2023 at 4:35 AM, GirlDadGolfer0204 said:

Reshafting golf clubs can be done by individuals with same handy skills, but it does require attention to detail and the right tools. If you are comfortable with do-it-yourself projects and have some experience working with tools, you may be able to handle the task of reshafting your icons. Its important to note that reshafting golf clubs can be a delicate process, and any mistake or errors can affect the performance of the club. 

listen to this guy - he is excellent.

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

I would also add glass bead powder to your epoxy.  This will help  with centering inside the adapter during curing.

TM Stealth 8. Degree.Ventus blue tr 6x

Tm. Sim 3w. Ventus red tr 6s

Tm. Stealth 5 wood.  Ventus red tr 6s

Callaway Apex Pro 21. 4-pw irons. 

Titliest 50 degree Sm9 gap wedge.

Callaway jaws forged 56 and 60 wedges.

Odyssey Stroke Lab. Big 7 armlock putter

• 2 weeks later...

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2023 at 9:53 AM, McGolf said:

Just a FYI for you, there are only 2 kinds of vessels in the Navies, Submarines and targets. 😆. I enjoy all your videos sir. 

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2023 at 4:35 PM, GirlDadGolfer0204 said:

The way I look at this , If you're a hands-on person, doing most the chores around the house can change oil/filter on your vehicle..... you can do this.

Investing in a nice graphite shaft puller will pay for itself after the first task of pull a whole set of graphite shaft , then you have the tool for the following years.  Tools also have value, so you probably won't loss your initial investment down the road.  

Had you bought some of the tools a decade ago and took good care of them, you could easily break even or profit from selling them now.

A decent manual puller/extractor is around $60-$70 and a hydraulic puller starting at $130.  I would up for the hydraulic puller if you could swing it.  The critical point of pulling graphite shaft is to separate the heat from the shaft ASAP right after the epoxy breaks down.  The hosel/adaptor will still be hot enough to toast the tip if not removed promptly.

The hydraulic puller will apply constant tension which will drop the head when the epoxy let loose. 

Get the one which you could change the hydraulic unit by loosening a couple of nuts ( unit is not completely welded onto the frame) in case you'll need a new hydraulic pump in the future ( $40-$60).

By saving the shafts and resell/ reuse, could pay for a portion of the tool purchase.  Mathematically, if you are a hands-on person, and will stay with the game for the foreseeable future,  get the tool.

Edited by release

• 6 months later...

I’m glad I came across this thread. I was thinking of reshafting my irons myself. But it looks like that would actually not be the most cost effective option for me. I’m not trying to make it a hobby so the the stuff would be bought and used and then I’d have to hopefully be able to return it. If not I know I’d take a hit selling it. 

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

This is something I want to learn and have thought about talking to our GC pro about being able to use their equipment. Nobody uses it up there anymore.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter