Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Music on the Golf Course?

Key here is totally dependent on volume of the music.  I, myself never play music unless I am playing by myself and even then it is typically a podcast.  I personally don't care if there is music or not but if I am hitting my ball from the other side of the fairway and I can here your music and you are 20-50 yards away then lets just turn it down a touch.  A happy compromise I believe

Luke Vermeer
Titleist Enthusiast

Driver : Titleist TS3
3-wood : Titleist TS2
Hybrid : Titleist TS2
Irons : Titleist 718 AP2 (Soon to be T-100)
Wedges : SM7's 50, 55 and 60 degree
Putter : Odyssey Ten 2-Ball Broomstick 48"
Golf Ball : Titleist PROV1
Bag : Titleist Tour Staff / Titleist Vokey Carry Bag

A couple of weeks ago I traveled around Mesa playing courses just before overseeding and the annual price gouging, er... I mean seasonal price increase, and played with a couple of young guys. Nice boys, in their 20s and listening to gangsta rap, loudly. Odd rhythms, booming base, and lots and lots of F bombs. If you want to test your ability to stay focused on the course try concentrating not hitting your ball into the water on your approach shot with that pish blasting just behind your stance. I couldn't do it. By the time I finished the round I was down 4 golf balls and had a raging headache. 

Driver :taylormade-small: Sim Max2

Hybrids :ping-small: G430 2, 3, 4

Irons :srixon-small: ZX4 6-PW

Wedges :taylormade-small: Hi-Toe 50, 54, 58

Putter :odyssey-small: 2Ball Ten ArmLock

Golf cart MGI Zip Navigator

:Arccos:

I played last weekend and hit my tee ball a leeeetle to the right...another fella in a cart came up and, music blaring, found my ball for me a few feet from his.  Since I was going to hit first, I took my stance over the ball.  This gentleman then said "is my music bothering you? I can turn it off."

I was so appreciative of the gesture that I said "Nah, it's fine," and promptly hit my ball straight into a tree. It bounced out onto the middle of the fairway and I made par from there. Bonus! He must have been playing my song.

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2023 at 4:19 AM, MattF said:

I used to be a no music on the course person but now I like to listen to acoustic rock while I walk. Even when my cart is on the fringe of the green you'd be hard pressed to hear it because I understand not everyone like music when they play.

For those suggesting using bluetooth earbuds, unless you use the bone conducting type, you're not going to hear anyone yell fore, so that is out.

Now...

giphy.gif

I sometimes just put an earbud in one ear, so I can still converse with my foursome, and be aware of harm heading my way from other fairways.

WITB - Left handed - all regular shafts

• Driver Stealth 2, Golfpride tour wrap with mid-size grip
  • 3 wood Nike Covert
  • 4 hybrid Taylor Made M6
  • 5 hybrid Callaway Epicflash
  • 6i-pw Callaway Apex cf16 forged
  • 50 degree Cleveland RTX zip core
  • 52 degree Kirkland
  • 54 degree TM Hi Toe
  • 58 degree Cleveland RTX
  • Putter Spider EX Super Stroke with Fatso 3.0 grip

• 3 months later...

I don't mind music on the course, I understand some people enjoy it.  I just don't think you should be able to hear it many steps away from the cart.   I like the quiet on the course. Same reason I go fishing, complete quiet.  Its my favorite part of both sports.  

Jnr

There is no easy answer. 

If you want to listen to something on the course you can use athletic ear buds.  Although you can't use them in competition, you can for a friendly match and they don't cost any more - sometimes significantly less - than Bluetooth speakers.  And if  blasting music while in competition,  I imagine tournaments would deal with it directly. 

On the other hand, speakers allow more than one person to enjoy the tunes and share whatever.  Music can be a tool to create a mood, to remember a shared past, to add enjoyment to the round with friends who share whatever is on the play list.  As long as you don't force me to listen to your choice of music or become belligerent to the point of negatively impacting my game, I'm happy to keep my mouth shut and play.  

My experience has been that the majority of folks who use speakers are considerate and keep the volume low.  Those who blast it tend to be quick to take offense when you ask them to turn it down.  Whether personality quirk or   ingestion of something that loosens inhibitions, these folks create an uncomfortable and unpleasant experience and should be dealt with by course management.

Edited by GolferXY

-XY
BALL:  Titleist ProV1, Kirkland Signature
WOODS: Taylormade Stealth2 +, Callaway Epic Flash 3-wood
3- and 4- HYBRID: Ping G30, stiff
IRONS: Ping i525, 6 - U-wedge, 1 degree flat, ProjectX 5.5 110 g shafts
WEDGES: Ping 4.0 60 degree, Titleist 56 degree SM8
PUTTER: L.A.B Mezz Max, 69 degree, 37 inch LA Golf shaft, 1.5 degree press grip

Just … no. Put an earbud in, or two. But don’t make me listen to your music. 

*shakes fist at cloud*

🪵 --> :callaway-small: Paradym Ai Smoke Max D/3w/7w | Tensei Blue 65
🧲 --> :srixon-small: MkII ZX4 | Recoil F3
🎯 --> :cleveland-small: CBX 4 ZipCore | Stock
⛳ --> :odyssey-small: Ai-ONE Seven S | Stroke Lab SL90
⚽ --> :srixon-small: Q Star [or whatever else comes along]

No to music. I like hearing the birds or the quiet. Of the time I have heard music on the course I've never heard a song I cared for anyway.

Driver: TaylorMade Stealth 2

Fairway Woods: TaylorMade Stealth 2 5&7

Hybrids: PXG Gen 5 0311 22 Moon Wood 8

Irons: TaylorMade Stealth HD

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 56° & 60°

Putter: Cleveland Soft Milled 5

BatCaddy X8R

I usually don’t mind music on the golf course but definitely prefer no music. I’m in my early 30s so a lot of my friends love to bring out music on the course so I just go along with it but something about it just doesn’t seem right to me.

Edited by Drew Cambio

Nike method putter Vokey wedges cobra Aerojet irons radspeed 3 wood tour edge Driver

I don't mind music on the golf course as long as the person controlling the music is respectful. 

In my case, I have played some Hawaiian music at a very low level on my push cart for me.  I've asked people if they can hear it and most of the time, they say no, but I always take the extra effort to lower it down during my playing partner(s) swing so it doesn't affect them.

I understand that the game of golf is changing and not exactly what it used to be when I stopped playing 20+ years ago so I want to be respectful for the changes as well as those that still play the game that I did before I stopped.

Now, the dependency on range finders is another thing that I need to get used to... (I still don't use one)

- Vaughn

Currently Driving-

• Driver/3 Wood/4 Hybrid: Cobra Aerojet
  • Irons: Takomo 101
  • Wedges: Takomo Skyforgers
  • Putter: Sub 70 005
  • Bag: Sunday El Camino
  • Ball: Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, redscootergolfing said:

I don't mind music on the golf course as long as the person controlling the music is respectful. 

In my case, I have played some Hawaiian music at a very low level on my push cart for me.  I've asked people if they can hear it and most of the time, they say no, but I always take the extra effort to lower it down during my playing partner(s) swing so it doesn't affect them.

I understand that the game of golf is changing and not exactly what it used to be when I stopped playing 20+ years ago so I want to be respectful for the changes as well as those that still play the game that I did before I stopped.

... I have a JBL speaker on my ZIP remote cart and play it at a level pretty much only I can hear while walking the course. My normal playing pards love 70 classic acoustic rock so if they are walking with me they can hear it too. As far as being respectful, it is very easy for me to turn my cart so the speaker faces away from the tee box and green and can't be heard at all when teeing off or putting.

... As some know I was an air personality on radio stations from 1971-1983 starting in NC to ending up in Chicago and music from that era just gives me a good feeling. That said, I only like it to keep me company while walking. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

I don't care one way or the other. Personally, I don't bother with it. It's just another thing to have to contend with.... changing stations/skipping songs because you don't like what's playing, up down the volume, etc.... I'd much rather just concentrate on screwing up the round without help. 😄

If music bothers you so much that you can't play because of it.... maybe you should take up Tennis.... they frown on any outside noise as much as golfers do. 😂

My golf group and I have a shared playlist we listen to when we play. I love having some background music, and we're always careful to turn it down if we are in range of other players!

Also, if you're using Spotify check out the "FP's Dart's Only" playlist from Bob Does Sports' finest, Fat Perez. It's a little mix of everything, from classic rock to rap and everything in between.

WITB:

Driver - :cobra-small: LTDx w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Kuro Kage 70g Stiff Shaft

3 Wood - :cobra-small: LTDx w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals Tensei 75g Stiff Shaft

Hybrid - :cobra-small: King Tec 18* w/ Mitsubishi Chemicals HY 80g Stiff Shaft

Irons (PW-4 Iron) - :taylormade-small: P790 w/ Oban 115g X-Stiff Shafts

Wedges (50, 54, 58) - :vokey-small: SM9

Putter - :bettinardi-small: Studio Stock 28 Armlock w/ Super Stroke Grip

I'm pro music but I believe it needs to be kept at a minimal level to not bother others. If you can hear it from the fairway over then I believe it's too loud. I'm all down to have a good time but I also don't like to bother others at the same time.

Driver: Callaway Paradym X

5-Wood: Taylormade Burner

Irons: Paradym 4-AW

Wedges: 52 deg Cleveland RTX 588, 56 deg Vokey SM4

Putter: Nike OZ 5

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus Drip Lime

Music doesn't bother me as long as it's not too loud. I play with @MattF a lot and he usually has a speaker on his bag, but I can only hear it when I'm walking next to him down the fairway. (which isn't often) If I can hear it across the course it's too loud, but I think this has only happened once. I've tried it but it's not for me. I like to disconnect from technology on the course so, I prefer the natural sounds of the course.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

image.png.8b20d64de8809188fc8c065d44ae1264.png

damn teenagers!!! lol. It used to bother me, for some reason, not so much anymore.  As long as the music is decent I don't mind anymore.  Getting soft as I get older, not more grumpy lol

:callaway-small: Paradym 9 degree Driver

:wilson-small: DYNAPWR 3 wood

:callaway-small: Apex 21  PW-4 Iron

:cleveland: CBX 50 degree

:cleveland: CBX 54 degree

:cleveland: CBX2 58 degree

:vokey-small: SM6 62 Degree   

:EVNROLL: ER2 Putter

1 hour ago, BaldJohnMD said:

Here is my golf playlist for music friendly scrambles. Every song has something related to

golf in the lyrics. 

https://music.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL3RjRaln_tLHIROgguKse9ozZM2DcSSor&si=6rgxqhQMme1a3f6o

Really good playlist that I have to steal 🙂 I love opening with Caddyshack. But one song I think needs to be added. Anyway You Want It - Journey. Great scene from the movie. 

"I use to carry ice up 3, 4 floors."

"So what?"

"So let's dance!"

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST R Flex

3 Wood: TaylorMade Razr

Hybrids: Callaway Rogue Max 3 - 5

Irons: TaylorMade M5

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 4 52, 54/Titleist Vokey M6 56

Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7

R.jpg

I'm in my later 50s now.  I just started playing avidly again after close to 20 years of only getting to play 3-4 rounds a year.  Some guys at my club like to listen to music while they play.  I like the music, but I find it hard to play golf with music playing.  It makes me unable to concentrate to the necessary level for me to play the way I want.  I have no problem with anyone else listening as long as it's not too loud.  I have a speaker my wife got me for Christmas, but I haven't yet used it.  My two cents.

I've learned more life lessons on a golf course than in any school.  

I play golf.  What is Twitter?

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/22/2024 at 5:02 PM, unccross said:

I don't mind music on the course, I understand some people enjoy it.  I just don't think you should be able to hear it many steps away from the cart.   I like the quiet on the course. Same reason I go fishing, complete quiet.  Its my favorite part of both sports.  

I like peace & quiet too.

If someone must have music, I have two words for them - E A R   B U D S.

Using any amplified speaker at all, even on low volume setting is like peeing in the pool.

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for TaylorMade, Callaway, Titleist, Ping, Cobra, Srixon and Mizuno.

I don't have speakers myself, but it doesn't bother me at all.  I was a hockey goalie, so I'm used to "distractions" while trying to do athletic stuff........

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T

This would be my take on music: 

1. Music should be kept at a level that doesn't disturb play a few holes over. IF everybody in your 4some is good with music, great! Keep it respectable. 

2. If tee boxes/greens coincide within a small range, do you turn it down for other members? Again, seems respectable to others to not distract when necessary. 

3. Are kids around with music including explicit language? Again, keeping it respectable for all parties. 

:callaway-small:Driver: Paradym Triple Diamond

:taylormade-small:3 Wood: Stealth Plus

:taylormade-small:Hybrid: Stealth Plus 

:srixon-small:Irons: Srixon ZX7

:taylormade-small:Wedges: MG2 50* MG3 54* and SM9 58* M Grind

:EVNROLL:Putter: Evnroll EV5

:titleist-small: GolfBall: 2023 ProV1

I think music on the course is a great tool to help enhance the experience. I completely understand the silent round arguments, but the majority of the time, I'm going out with some friends or my family and just enjoying the afternoon. something about some good music just hits that spot and helps take you away from the stress and you can just vibe while playing the greatest game. 

That being said...keep it respectful. Not trying to make enemies on the course, if the playing partners aren't feeling it, then keep it low or let it go. And if it's a competitive round, then maybe leave the speaker in the car. Although if its the weekend round with the boys...LET THE MUSIC PLAY!!

Driver:   Paradym

Wood:   Epic 3 wood

Hybrid:  Apex 19*

Irons:    Apex 19 4-P

Wedge:  Vokey SM7 50*, 56*, 62*

Putter:   Scotty Cameron Phantom 8

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus 

The Forefathers of Golf probably didn’t have music on the course.  If they did, it could have been bagpipes and it’s probably why music on the golf course was banned until the age of the transistor.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

... Such an interesting topic. Like most of life, music on the course exists in the gray area and every opinion is valid, maybe other than using ear buds that don't work in a social setting and only when playing alone. They can;t hear any conversation and even "good shot" can be greeted with a removal of an ear bud and an annoyed "What?"  🙄

... As long as everyone is considerate of others, there shouldn't be any problems. When playing a casual round of golf playing your music too loud, which means if others not in your group can hear it, is equally as selfish as those saying NO music under any circumstances. I have rarely played with anyone that requested I turn off my speaker that plays so low it can only be heard from about 6 feet away IF the speaker is facing them. Most ask me to turn it up. I want it all, low level music for my long walks and the sounds of nature and the plethora of desert animal noises as well as the sound of the wind and my partners expressions of disbelief or joy. 

12 minutes ago, chisag said:

... Such an interesting topic. Like most of life, music on the course exists in the gray area and every opinion is valid, maybe other than using ear buds that don't work in a social setting and only when playing alone. They can;t hear any conversation and even "good shot" can be greeted with a removal of an ear bud and an annoyed "What?"  🙄

... As long as everyone is considerate of others, there shouldn't be any problems. When playing a casual round of golf playing your music too loud, which means if others not in your group can hear it, is equally as selfish as those saying NO music under any circumstances. I have rarely played with anyone that requested I turn off my speaker that plays so low it can only be heard from about 6 feet away IF the speaker is facing them. Most ask me to turn it up. I want it all, low level music for my long walks and the sounds of nature and the plethora of desert animal noises as well as the sound of the wind and my partners expressions of disbelief or joy. 

I have played golf with several golfers who wear ear buds on the course during their round. I have no problem with this, as long as the golfer wearing the ear buds maintains the pace of play and hits when it is his turn (or plays “ready golf”).  I say “his” because I have never played with a female golfer wearing ear buds, but with several guys who do this.

DR - Callaway Paradym AI Smoke TD, Newton Motion 4-Dot

4W - Callaway Paradym 3HL, Newton Motion Fairway shaft, 4-Dot

HYB - Paradym X 18*, HZRDUS Smoke Red 80S; Sub 70 949X 21*, same shaft

7W (if played) - Sub 70 849, ProForce Black 80-S

Irons - Callaway Paradym, HZRDUS Silver Gen 4, S-flex

Wedges - Edison 2.0, 53* and 57* (bent to 58*), KBS TGI 100

Putter - (currently in flux, but usually an Evnroll 8V

Ball - Maxfli Tour-X CG (2023)

Bags - Ghost Golf Maverick Black Ops

Cart - MotoCaddy M7 Remote (without the remote)

Spoiler

driver / off the tee is no longer a weakness for me!

Nothing better then some tunes at a reasonable level while playing. Don't remember the last time I played without. 

Driver: Ping G430 LST

3 Wood: Ping G425 

2 Iron: Ping G425 Crossover 

Irons: 4-9 Titleist 735.CM

Wedges: 46 Vokey SM4 52,56,60 SM9 Jet Black

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Fastback 1.5

26 minutes ago, funkyjudge said:

I have played golf with several golfers who wear ear buds on the course during their round. I have no problem with this, as long as the golfer wearing the ear buds maintains the pace of play and hits when it is his turn (or plays “ready golf”).  I say “his” because I have never played with a female golfer wearing ear buds, but with several guys who do this.

... The two times we were paired up with golfers wearing ear buds, they were both basically anti social. They kept to themselves and as I said, we couldn't talk to them without them removing their ear buds and seemingly annoyed at the intrusion into their private world. After several holes, ignoring them as that seemed like their wish, was not a problem but still just a little awkward. 

Interesting - never played with someone wearing ear buds.  That seems a bit awkward to me (and anti-social as you said @chisag).

I'm always listening to music (work, home, etc), so I prefer to have it on the course when playing.  However, I will ALWAYS ask my playing partners if its ok - I can definitely understand how some would want it off to focus (I'm the opposite, it actually helps me focus).  

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge/Testing Bag (Link Here)

Driver: image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Paradym with Ventus TR Blue 60 Stiff

Fairways:  image.png.c4f821ba6925e5e146c31600685bf103.png Aerojet Max 3W & 7W with Hzrdus Smoke Blue RDX 70 Stiff

Hybrid:  image.png.c21137d282a252fb544e47aceb520176.png King TEC 5H with KBS PGI 95 Stiff

Irons:  image.png.6621a18e06b1717c1f774c4a561fd7d8.png Forged TEC 5-GW with KBS Tour Lite Stiff

Wedges:  image.png.ca83f4e6716da9276cf90826f633daca.png Jaws Raw Plasma 54 & 58

Putter:  image.png.c8e6824d2c38fa85d20ca21913fbb2b1.pngPhantom X 5.5

Ball: 2023 Maxfli Tour

Other Reviews:

Callaway Paradym

Titleist White Box Testing (2023)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5