Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Adapting golf ball to weather?

JRav57

About to head from hot and humid South Carolina to Scotland.  As a general rule I prefer the feel and performance of the Chrome Soft and ProV1.  Would there be a benefit to switching to a softer ball (ERC, TM Tour response) {or firmer ball for that matter} to adapt to the cooler conditions and firmer course conditions?  I am predominately distance challenged with a driver speed less than 90 mph.  Any advantage is always a plus…

Thanks

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 9.5 Driver

:callaway-small: Epic Flash 3/5 wood

:callaway-small: Big Bertha 4/5 hybrid

:callaway-small: Big Bertha  6- A irons

:callaway-small: Mack Daddy sand wedge 54/58 degrees

:cleveland-small:  Frontline Elevado

:callaway-small: Chrome Soft X balls

Per a conversation with Bridgestone a few years back they suggested using the same ball regardless of temps.

For every 10° in temp change from your normal temps add or subtract 2.5 yards. For warmer weather add and cooler weather subtract.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I would agree that benefit of consistency/familiarity of playing the same model outweighs any differences of changing the ball for specific playing conditions. Also, unless you are on the high side of the spin spectrum, there pretty much no benefit from a distance off the tee perspective for switching to a lower compression ball even at low swing speeds. 

:titelist-small:  TS2 9.5

:titelist-small:  909F2 15.5

:titelist-small:  690.CB 3-PW

:titelist-small:  Vokey SM5 50, 56

image.png.e50b7e7a9b18feff4720d7b223a2013d.png   Works Versa 1W

I'm certainly no expert, but I play the same ball no matter what conditions I am playing in. I think the feel of a different ball would throw me off more than different weather conditions. From personal experience playing in some massive temp ranges in Wisconsin, I don't see a noticeable difference in length off the tee when I am playing in 90 degree temps in the middle of summer to 50s-60s in the early spring/late fall. If I lose some distance when it's colder, so be it. The ball still feels the same coming off the face and I value that more. I would say to stick with what you know and what you're comfortable with. 

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I have similar swing speed.  I used to play PV1x when temps got above 50º, but I always played a softer compression ball in the winter when greens are hard and nothing spins much anyway.  I played the Titleist Tour Soft in Yellow which is easier to see on those gray cloudy days.  However, last fall I started playing the Maxfli Tour X and liked it just as much as the PV1x at a cheaper price.  I still played the Tour Soft last winter. 

This year when Maxfli came out with their Tour S, I started playing it exclusively.  I liked the softness off the clubs which helps my old hands.  When the temps got up to 100+ I switched to the Maxfli Tour and will stick with it until it gets cold again.  Then I have to decide whether to play the Tour S or the Tour Soft... wish Maxfli would come out with a Yellow Tour S.  

As for playing in Scotland the temperature should be fairly mild this time of year, so I would play whatever ball you are most comfortable playing. If it were me, I would play the ball that flies better in wind, rather than firm or soft.  I would also shy away from anything truvis.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

@JRav57 I used to change golf balls in the colder conditions to Bridgestone BRXs from the PV1. To me the feel of PV1 in the cold weather didn't seem to perform as well.  One other reason for changing to Bridgestone, they were about the only ball that was "seamless", however most every manufacturer adopted Bridgestone's ball design & are seamless. 

Also notice the Ladies on LPGA, they play the Pro V1 & V1x, TP5 & 5x like PGA guys. It used to be the though process ProV1x at 100 compression should be for a certain swing speed. I don't think that thought process applies any longer.  
Brian Harman just won the British Open using the Pro V1 ball, which one of the golf balls you use is the Pro V1. The V1 worked well for him😆, I wouldn't change.  
Have a Safe Trip & Enjoy! 

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

As many have said, it's better to dance with what brung ya. And there's been numerous studies that show the distance loss in cold weather is actually negligible.

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

29 minutes ago, DiscipleofPenick said:

As many have said, it's better to dance with what brung ya. And there's been numerous studies that show the distance loss in cold weather is actually negligible.

I agree - especially since the temp difference isn't that extreme. On the other hand if you were playing in the Great Lakes area in the middle of winter it might make a difference. 

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

• 2 weeks later...

The Ballnamic guys have given a couple interviews and if I were to oversimplify their advice on golf balls while traveling, it's that you should only consider a change in ball when the situation is extreme. For example, when the Tour goes to Mexico City, you'll see a couple guys switch from ProV1 to ProV1x. Balls flight further and lower in higher altitude, so the switch to the X can help offset that and get it closer to what they're used to. But they don't really recommend switching balls in moderate temperature changes. While yes, the ball is impacted by the temps, so is your body. You're going to wear different clothing and your body won't move quite the same way in different weather. Better bet is to play with the ball that you know and just enjoy the experience.

Driver: :srixon-small: ZX5 LS MkII 9.5* (@ 9.0*) with 46.5" Ventus Blue 6X
3-wood: :taylormade-small: SIM 15* with Diamana Limited 75S
5-wood: :cobra-small: RADspeed 18.5* with Motore X F3 60S
2i: :srixon-small: ZX with SteelFiber i95 Stiff

4hy: :titleist-small: TS3 23* with Tensei AV Blue 70 S
4i-7i :srixon-small: ZX7, 8i-PW Z-Forged, Modus3 Tour 120 S
50*, 55* :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Modus3 Tour 125
60* :cleveland-small: RTX Full Face ZipCore DG Spinner S400
Putter: :callaway-small: Toulon Chicago with a :garsen: Quad Tour or :cleveland-small: HB SOFT Milled 10.5S with UST All-in

Ball: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour (but I might still have some :titleist-small: Left Dashes hanging around)
Bag: :srixon-small: Ltd Edition Tartan, blue/green/yellow

Using :ShotScope: to keep track of my shots

Tested:
:wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 3i-PW, KBS Tour-V 110S - Official Review
:titelist-small: Blind Ball Test (Ball #3 vs Ball #4) - Unofficial Review
:ShotScope:
 V3 GPS Watch + Tags - Official Review
:OnCore:
 Vero X2 - Official Review

The Stack System - Official Review