Testers Announced! Stix Golf Sets ×

Totally Not An Official Review on the Cobra 3D Supernova Putter

Wheelieb

Have some photos share?

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

13 minutes ago, GolfSpy_APH said:

Have some photos share?

I will get some here in a few and add them to the original post

Callaway Paradym AI Smoke Max 9* with Tensei AV Blue 55

PXG 5 and 7 woods with Mitsubishi Diamana Shafts

Mizuno Pro 225 5-GW with Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Taylormade Hi-Toe 54 and 58 degree wedges

Ping Prime Tyne 4

42 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

I will be honest, the KBS CT Tour Putter 120 Shaft is the first putter shaft that I’ve noticed it was not just from the company. That could have been me and being oblivious to the shafts in the putters I’ve owned.

I’m open to suggestions on how to make a review better, as well as questions that you have about this putter. Thank you for your feedback or questions. 

As stated,  definitely pictures.  

Most club OEMs don't make shafts.  Typically putters will use KBS, True Temper, or Apollo putter shafts.  You can then get into stepped or step less and different profiles (which will impact the feel).  

Question:  How did you evaluate the putters to determine this was the model the was for you?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Being newer to golf, I found myself using looks over function... alot!

MGS is definitely helping me to tune into the overly abundant options that go into every single club choice! 

Thanks for sharing your insights!

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

16 minutes ago, cnosil said:

As stated,  definitely pictures.  

Most club OEMs don't make shafts.  Typically putters will use KBS, True Temper, or Apollo putter shafts.  You can then get into stepped or step less and different profiles (which will impact the feel).  

Question:  How did you evaluate the putters to determine this was the model the was for you?  

Honestly, when it came to deciding on this one, it wasn’t just the way the ball rolled. It was also the looks of it. I don’t like normal looks. The black on the wings make it not have a straight line going back. I’ve never seen one until I went to golf galaxy and had to test it out in there. The look of it made it even better in my opinion. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

5 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

Being newer to golf, I found myself using looks over function... alot!

MGS is definitely helping me to tune into the overly abundant options that go into every single club choice! 

Thanks for sharing your insights!

I’ve got to say, visually pleasing to my eye may not be the same for others. With that said, I will agree that what may look nice to us may not be the best fit for our game. I’ve learned that with wedges. I love the look of the Mizuno wedges, they just don’t love me back as I struggle to hit the middle of them. I resigned myself to the fact that I need full face wedges and they are growing on me more and more. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

You are preaching to the choir with price doesn’t always equate to performance. 

I consider myself a pretty good putter for an amateur.l but I also found myself falling into  trap of if I buy a more expensive putter I will become an elite tiger on Sunday level putter. 

I was wrong. I spent close to a year with my Odyssey before switching back to the KMART putter I bought 25 years ago for $12. Which I proudly still use today and make sure to let my scramble group know that all three  Scottie’s missed and you needed KMART to save the day. 

With saying that I have also looked into the Cobra putters because of the current pricing. Great review May your next round have no lip outs. 

Everyone stinks, yes even the pros. Have fun 

48 minutes ago, BringerofRain said:

You are preaching to the choir with price doesn’t always equate to performance. 

I consider myself a pretty good putter for an amateur.l but I also found myself falling into  trap of if I buy a more expensive putter I will become an elite tiger on Sunday level putter. 

I was wrong. I spent close to a year with my Odyssey before switching back to the KMART putter I bought 25 years ago for $12. Which I proudly still use today and make sure to let my scramble group know that all three  Scottie’s missed and you needed KMART to save the day. 

With saying that I have also looked into the Cobra putters because of the current pricing. Great review May your next round have no lip outs. 

Thank you. And I still have the putter that was given to me when I first started golfing. It is an old Taylormade Juno putter. I was terrible with it. But I learned that a blade putter is not for me. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Cobra Supernova putter. Your journey with it reminds me of when I stumbled upon a unique club that changed my game. I was skeptical about spending more on equipment too, but sometimes that extra investment pays off. The sound and feel of a club can really make a difference, can't it? I also appreciate your honesty about the pros and cons you've experienced.Oh, and speaking of unique finds, I recently discovered Szomk, a company specializing in crafting custom enclosures. They might appreciate your attention to detail and feedback.

Edited by JulianWarner

16 minutes ago, JulianWarner said:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the Cobra Supernova putter. Your journey with it reminds me of when I stumbled upon a unique club that changed my game. I was skeptical about spending more on equipment too, but sometimes that extra investment pays off. The sound and feel of a club can really make a difference, can't it? I also appreciate your honesty about the pros and cons you've experienced.

Welcome to the site! What unique club do you have?

Edited by Rob Person

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

@Wheelieb I'm.glad this came back around in my feed. Couple of questions.  Do you have any pics of the bottom side, and maybe an up close of the face? Hard for me to see from my phone, but is the face/insert micro-milled too? Also the wings where they meet the back, are they separate pieces bolted on or forged as one unit?

1 hour ago, Rob Person said:

@Wheelieb I'm.glad this came back around in my feed. Couple of questions.  Do you have any pics of the bottom side, and maybe an up close of the face? Hard for me to see from my phone, but is the face/insert micro-milled too? Also the wings where they meet the back, are they separate pieces bolted on or forged as one unit?

When I get home I can get more pics for you. The face is an aluminum sik face insert. The wings are 3D printed and aren’t bolted on. My best guess is they are epoxied onto posts on the chassis or maybe pressed on and are locked in kind of like a button. There are four weights in the wing part two each in each wing. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

As promised, here are more pics for you. IMG_2530.jpeg.0f9395a7cebc159e0f47126057fcc0db.jpegIMG_2531.jpeg.537ff06dc7bc6e6263fb8a2a683c153d.jpegIMG_2533.jpeg.4f104a1c555cbfdb5c0e6fccfdf1bb6f.jpegIMG_2534.jpeg.21d91ae981efc325daa3e693e307af77.jpeg

Ping Prime Tyne 4

• 1 month later...

Update time. After spending a few more rounds with this putter, I’m finding out that the feel of it, I’m just not getting along with it. It’s still a great putter for short distances, but longer distance putts I feel it lacks on the course. Would I recommend this putter to someone at this point now? Probably not based on its performance on the courses I’ve played. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

3 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

Update time. After spending a few more rounds with this putter, I’m finding out that the feel of it, I’m just not getting along with it. It’s still a great putter for short distances, but longer distance putts I feel it lacks on the course. Would I recommend this putter to someone at this point now? Probably not based on its performance on the courses I’ve played. 

I've struggled with a blocky mallet putter, so I feel your pain. 

Is there a specific distance point that it's dropping performance for you? What kind of impact feedback did you feel was lacking? Also, on longer putts, what do you think is missing from its performance that could be improved?

The lines on the bat wing along with the one on the top line almost remind me of the triple track putters. 

do you find when lining up a put, the ball almost fits between the wings?

"We're weekend golfers. Of course we just buy gear off the racks and wonder why it doesn't work"

I've struggled with a blocky mallet putter, so I feel your pain. 

Is there a specific distance point that it's dropping performance for you? What kind of impact feedback did you feel was lacking? Also, on longer putts, what do you think is missing from its performance that could be improved?

Once it got to 10 feet on the course I felt the offline putts was to great. I was used to missing by maybe 4 inches on either side when I do miss bad, but I’m not sure what is causing my misses to be greater with this putter. The short putts of 9’ and less I feel there is more confidence inspiring strikes off the face. My opinion, I don’t think the sik face insert is done well enough to make this a putter to garner confidence for anyone on the course. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

16 minutes ago, LeakyValve said:

The lines on the bat wing along with the one on the top line almost remind me of the triple track putters. 

do you find when lining up a put, the ball almost fits between the wings?

It having that one singular line on the top is my point to line up putts with. I don’t really pay attention to anything else as I feel that simple is best

Ping Prime Tyne 4

36 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

Once it got to 10 feet on the course I felt the offline putts was to great. I was used to missing by maybe 4 inches on either side when I do miss bad, but I’m not sure what is causing my misses to be greater with this putter. The short putts of 9’ and less I feel there is more confidence inspiring strikes off the face. My opinion, I don’t think the sik face insert is done well enough to make this a putter to garner confidence for anyone on the course. 

Are you coming up short on distance, or seeing misses to a certain side (left/right)? I can understand not enjoying the feeling of the insert leading to distance control, but I wouldn't expect the insert to correct your aim. The descending loft design is supposed to make your launch/roll conditions more consistent, but not necessarily aim forgiveness.

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5")
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 6.0 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip
  • Bag: :cobra-small: Ultralight Pro, Ski Patrol/Black
  • Push Cart: :BagBoy: Nitron, Black/Red
  • Rangefinder: Bushnell Tour V5 Shift

2023 MGS Forum Review: Sugar Golf Balls (Final Review Posted)
2023 MGS Forum Review: Sycamore 009 Mini Putter (Final Review Posted)
2024 Unofficial Review: The "Putting Thing" by WhyGolf

-TJ

9 hours ago, Wheelieb said:

This is an interesting development. From what I’ve read on shop reviews it seemed that the supernova was a favorite among owners. 

I know that in the past I had a mid-mallet putter that I couldn’t get in the groove with when it came to distance putting, so I switched to a blade. I just got the Grandsport 35, which I’m hoping to take out on the course this week or next, and so of course I’m interested how it’ll do on the green, since I’ve only be able to practice <6ft putts indoors.

WITB 2024

DRIVER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png AEROJET 10.5°  |  FAIRWAY Callawaylogo.png.c084288fc4a8ed17e2f93c60b519702c.png ROGUE ST MAX 3/15°
HYBRID Pinglogo.png.11947cc88c8641d62e0a99c26da08b18.png G410 21°  |  UTILITY Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 U 5/23°
IRONS Untitled-9(1).png.4964fe6cb2103eef562fd832a625b0d5.png 699 V2 6-PW
WEDGES Clevelandgolflogo.png.9b2e702587cd5230010a835ced0f97a0.png CBX 2 50°, 54°, 58°
PUTTER Cobralogo.png.5257fd97d99f057b9bfc81c06d7fcc62.png KING GRANDSPORT 35

BALL WilsonStafflogo.png.d0d70a74fad1e8f9c4d9f0581e24d31e.pngMODEL | Vicelogo.png.ac8ca0040252d91a9cdaef9d94e6284b.png PRO WHITE/BLUE ICE
BAG Sunmountainlogo.png.2555e0c0e8e49c09ea72c6df224aa0f2.png 3.5 LS  |  PUSHCART Roviclogo.png.ebc800ac4238271b0253c238793522de.png RV1S

10 hours ago, BallsLeon said:

Are you coming up short on distance, or seeing misses to a certain side (left/right)? I can understand not enjoying the feeling of the insert leading to distance control, but I wouldn't expect the insert to correct your aim. The descending loft design is supposed to make your launch/roll conditions more consistent, but not necessarily aim forgiveness.

I am coming up short. Which is weird cause I’m one that hammers the ball leaving me at least a 4-6 footer on the return when im unsure of distance control. I have noticed, while it is supposed to be more consistent roll, it is far from it. Is that the fault of the insert itself? I cannot say. What I can say is I’m not a club builder and do not know the ins and outs of what to look for on that. Aim is where I’ll give you that it definitely is not the insert, that can be me getting my Zalatoris waggle back that I had thought was fully eliminated. There’s really not much to cure that. But those misses are greater than they were before this putter. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

6 hours ago, berkeleybob said:

This is an interesting development. From what I’ve read on shop reviews it seemed that the supernova was a favorite among owners. 

I know that in the past I had a mid-mallet putter that I couldn’t get in the groove with when it came to distance putting, so I switched to a blade. I just got the Grandsport 35, which I’m hoping to take out on the course this week or next, and so of course I’m interested how it’ll do on the green, since I’ve only be able to practice <6ft putts indoors.

Don’t get me wrong, I love the look of it and this may be more of my waggle coming back. I’ll keep charging for the next few weeks and if it doesn’t correct itself, I’ll have to look at a different option. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

32 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

I am coming up short. Which is weird cause I’m one that hammers the ball leaving me at least a 4-6 footer on the return when im unsure of distance control. I have noticed, while it is supposed to be more consistent roll, it is far from it. Is that the fault of the insert itself? I cannot say. What I can say is I’m not a club builder and do not know the ins and outs of what to look for on that. Aim is where I’ll give you that it definitely is not the insert, that can be me getting my Zalatoris waggle back that I had thought was fully eliminated. There’s really not much to cure that. But those misses are greater than they were before this putter. 

I get the speed control for sure, there was definitely some adjustment going to the sik/lagolf face from a milled putter I was finding myself short too.

As for the descending loft tech, I’m on the fence if it matters or not. It’s definitely easier to hit PuttOut Devil Balls with this putter than my milled putter, but unsure if that has more to do with face angle than loft. Perhaps it’s just a placebo effect, but I think there’s something to it… they have Bryson Dechambeau convinced at least. 

Between this putter, and the Wilson/Odyssey you were gaming before which are you feeling most confident with these days?

• Driver : :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS, 10.5° loft, MCA TENSEI AV White 65g, Stiff flex (44.5")
  • 3-Wood: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS, 15° loft, MCA TENSEI AV Blue 65g, Reg flex (42.25", tipped 0.5")
  • 3-Utility: :Sub70: 699 Pro V2 Utility Satin, 18° loft, :projectx: HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 80g, 6.0 flex
  • Irons: :titleist-small: T200 6i-GW, 27°-48° lofts, Nippon Modus3 120g, Stiff flex (+0.5”, 1° upright)
  • Wedges:  Indi FLX S-Grind, 52°/56°/60° lofts, Dynamic Gold Spinner 115g, Wedge flex
  • Putter:cobra-small: King Vintage Sport 60, SteelFiber P125 shaft (34"), :garsen: Quad Tour Taper grip

-TJ

5 hours ago, BallsLeon said:

I get the speed control for sure, there was definitely some adjustment going to the sik/lagolf face from a milled putter I was finding myself short too.

As for the descending loft tech, I’m on the fence if it matters or not. It’s definitely easier to hit PuttOut Devil Balls with this putter than my milled putter, but unsure if that has more to do with face angle than loft. Perhaps it’s just a placebo effect, but I think there’s something to it… they have Bryson Dechambeau convinced at least. 

Between this putter, and the Wilson/Odyssey you were gaming before which are you feeling most confident with these days?

If I were to have to choose one that would be in my bag, it’d definitely be the Odyssey. She’s the old faithful and I feel is always there for me. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

11 hours ago, BallsLeon said:

Well let’s give a little update here. Went to the golf store near me and decided to try hitting some milled putters again just to see if they would be great to give a shot. I can honestly say, not a fan of Scotty Cameron putters. What I can say, though, is I am a fan of the Cleveland HB Soft milled putters and the Taylormade TP reserve milled putters. If all else fails I know I have a few options I can go with that I believe gives me confidence. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

@Wheelieb both of those Cleveland and Taylormade lines are great value. I've seen TP Hydroblast putters new in plastic for under $100 on ebay.

Edit: Oops got TP Collection and Reserve mixed up, I think the ones I saw were with an insert not milled

Edited by BallsLeon

-TJ

Update number I guess 2. Going to a golf shop isn’t always smart. While I tried out the Cleveland and the TM putters, I went to the other golf store and the worker said just try the ping prime tyne 4 putter. Needless to say, I went back and traded in the cobra for it. I will write up a review on it in the coming weeks. 

Ping Prime Tyne 4

34 minutes ago, Wheelieb said:

Update number I guess 2. Going to a golf shop isn’t always smart. While I tried out the Cleveland and the TM putters, I went to the other golf store and the worker said just try the ping prime tyne 4 putter. Needless to say, I went back and traded in the cobra for it. I will write up a review on it in the coming weeks. 

The question is,  what makes the new putter better?   do you aim it better?  Do you start the ball where aimed?  What does it do to improve your touch?   How is is more that just a piece of metal on the end of a stick?

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :touredgeexotics: XCG7 Beta 15*  w/Fujikura Fuel
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG