Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Thoughts on buying one year old clubs?

Hacker60521

I’m no snob - I don’t need a new set every year, with the main reason being that golf is about consistency. If you keep changing things, then obviously you have to keep adapting to new stuff.

With the exception to some the new drivers being released, tour pros game the same clubs for years because they know what works. We’re not pros, nor are we endorsed by club makers.

The only new set I’ve ever owned was starter set. As my game progressed and I learned some of golf’s more fluently vocabulary - metrics, lie angle, muscle cavity, swing weight - I realized I needed the necessary equipment (ebay has everything). if you’re not getting fitted by a pro, research helps.

The age and condition are completely different things, so I would focus more on the condition. The set I bought after selling my started set was 9 years old at the time, but in mint condition. When you take care of things, they will last.

Swing with purpose,

Anthony

I typically buy used and I was looking at picking up a set of irons this offseason.  The used sets and new previous-generation sets I looked at were still $700-$1000.  Most were 4-PW or 5-GW.  I play 6-PW in my irons.  Rather than wasting money on a 4i, 5i, and GW that I'll never use, I ended up getting a new set of Mizuno JPX923 HM for $137 per club.  $137x5 was cheaper than the used sets I was looking at and I got fitted for them and hitting them more consistent than any irons ever had.  

DR: Ping G425 Max 10.5*

3W: Titleist TSi1 15*

4H-5H: XXIO X (2018)

Irons 6-PW: Mizuno JPX923 Hot Metal

Wedges: Cleveland CBX 50*, 54*, 58*

Putter: MLA Tour Classic

GPS: Shot Scope X5

I have been playing golf for a very long time and I have yet to find a new club that suddenly makes a significant difference in my game.  Irons certainly have little difference while drivers are more a question of fitting than innovation.  it appears that many manufacturers are recognizing cost as an issue to some and are continuing to manufacture prior generation clubs at a reduced price.  Buy the year old clubs, including used ones, and use your savings for lessons and you will be far ahead. 

Ping G430 Driver and 7 wood

Callaway Paradym 16.5 degree 3 wood

Ping G430 4 & 5 hybrids

Ping G425 irons

Vokey SM 9 54 and 58 wedges

Ping Ketsch putter

Callaway Pre Owned sometimes has never used clubs that are 1, 2, 3, years old.  Great price as long as you know what you are doing.  I recently bot a 3 yr old unused Callaway 3 wood for $80!!! and it's like it was built for me.  My irons, I was fitted, I plan on keeping them a long time, tho I might re-shaft if my swing changes enough after my next arthritis repair surgery.  If you play a lot, buying 1 year old clubs is great fun.

Drv: PXG 0211, Evnflo Riptide CB Senior, Callaway 454 TI (2004) 10 and an 11, regular flex.

3W: Callaway Steelhead Xr  Tensei Blue CK 55 gram senior. TM Burner Superfast 3.0 M flex.

5W : Titleist TSi 1 on Aldila Ascent 40 regular flex.

Driving Iron: Mizuno MP 18 MMC 3 18 degree, on Mamiya Recoil reg flex.

4 iron:  forged Mizuno Fly-Hi, 24 degree hollow body.

6 - PW: Ping I 500, on Recoil reg flex.

Gap: 52/9 GFF Mizuno S5, Lob: 60/6 GFF Mizuno T7.

Sand: Ancien Regime 56/12 Hogan Sure Out, Apex shaft. Heavy sole.

Chipper:  Ancien Regime Don Martin "Up n In" bronze or copper. 🙂

Putter: Odyssey Stroke Lab "R" Ball, face balanced, 2 piece, multi material shaft.🙃

My entire set up, minus my putter were used clubs. My father-in-law gave me the putter as a Christmas gift probably a decade ago. I really like my PXG irons that I bought from their official eBay page. I'd say do some research to try to figure out what kind of shaft would best fit you and then try to find it. As some of the other guys have stated, buying clubs with a set-up that works against you can cause more harm.

Driver: :callaway-small: Epic Max LS

3 Wood: :PXG: Gen 5 0311XF 

Hybrid: :PXG: Gen 5 0311 XF 22 degree

Irons: :PXG: 2022 XCOR2 0211 5-GW

Wedges: :taylormade-small: R Series 54° & 60°

Putter: :odyssey-small:

2023 Test: ⌚Garmin Approach S70 47mm

I buy a lot of clubs from the Callaway pre owned, they have not only Callaway but some other brands as well. Many mint or like new clubs are in great shape, I have many mint Callaway pre owned that still had the plastic wrap on them when I receive them..

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com

You should really heck out the used section for Callaway.  Great deals, especially after new clubs come out.  As far as buying one year old version, absolutely!  The tech never really changes that much year over year.  4 years I start to evaluate and see a valuable enough reason to buy again.  

Head to head, last yr vs new, I'd be willing to bet you see no difference in distance or dispersion when evaluating the same model line.  

Right Now: Paradym Driver 9Degrees, Autoflex shaft, TM 3 Wood Ventus Red 6 Velocore, Ping G430 3,6, Hybrid BMG Shafts, Paradym Irons 5-AW, KBS Max Graphite, Ping 4.0 Glide Wedges 54, 60

I've purchased used or prior year equipment to pound out a set if I get a good price, and it fits my specs like Tom the Golf Nut mentioned.  Has worked out so far, so I can't complain.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

I would love to be able to buy new clubs, (or last year's model if I'm being honest) but if I want to stay married (and eat) it just isn't in the budget right now.  That being said, especially if you are buying from a trusted seller, most people won't be able to tell the difference between new and one year old clubs.

Driver - Titleist TS2 

3 Wood - TaylorMade Rocketballz 2

Hybrids - Taylormade Rescue knockoffs

Irons - Taylormade Burner 2.0

52 Degree - Cleveland CG14

56 Degree - Titleist Vokey BV

60 Degree - Ping Glide 3.0

Ball - Depends if I find in or have to pay for it.

I have no problem buying last year's model.  If they are the correct specs and half the price, why not?

Just picked up SM9 Vokey for $99 and they may have been hit a dozen times. 

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I understand your thoughts, but......what are you worried about? FOMO? Not having the latest & greatest? I've had my ass kicked (& my money taken) by players with MacGregors & Ping Eye2s 🙄

Start with getting fit to EVERY club - driver through putter - and then stick with what works.

With drivers, upgrade every 5 years or so. Advances are micro year-to-year, but become macro after half-a-decade.

With irons, upgrade every 5-10 years. There are PGA pros that play decades-old clubs/tech. Why? Because they work & their income depends on it.

Wedges? Based on how much you play & how much spin you need.

Putters? Again....keep looking until you find what puts the ball in the hole, then stop!

:callaway-small: Epic Flash

:cobra-small: King F8 3W

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Max 7W

:ping-small: G425 4i-PW

:cleveland-small: CBX2 50/54/58

:bettinardi-small: Inovai 6.0

:taylormade-small: Tour Response or :wilson_staff_small: Triad (both thanks to MGS testing) 

Key it to get fit and then take advantage of the price and quality difference,  I am plus 1/2'', 2 UP,  (with wedge exceptions).    Surprisingly, 1/2 plus is common in the pre-owed market.  The 2 Up and better grips can be added. Many clubs come in plastic and do not look like they were ever used.         

Driver - 2023 Callaway Paradym 9.0, 3 Wood -2022 Rogue ST Max, 3 Hybrid Mavrik, 2017 X-forged 4-PW, Wedges Callaway 50-56-60, Putter Odyssey Toulon Chicago     

I have bought numerous clubs used which is 1-3 years old primarily online. All of my Wedges (I carry 4) were bought 1-2 years old and were my setup except for new grips put on. 

As far as a Driver... I bought a Ping G425 Max used and it works great. 

As everyone has said...great way to save money.

Ping G400 Max @ 9 degrees

Ping G400 Stretch 3W

Ping G400 3i Hybrid

Cleveland 2009 launcher 4i Hybrid (also a 2i and 1i not currently in the bag)

Ping G700 5-9, PW, GW, SW (Green Dot and 3/4" length addition)

Ping Glide-3 60 Deg. LW (Green Dot) (also a Glide-2 58 deg LW and Glide 54 Deg SW not in the bag)

All Golf Pride CP2 Wrap Midsize Grips

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11 Putter 35" w/oversize grip

10 hours ago, Tom the Golf Nut said:

I’ll tell you another way I have saved some hard earned money. Twice over the years at a demo day I decided I really liked a club. THAT CLUB and I mean that club. I convinced the rep to sell it to me in the parking lot at the end of the event. I put a sharpie mark on the shaft so we could get back to it later. It was a $500 driver and he sold it to me for $300 cash. It was used by the end of the day after all right. 

@Tom the Golf Nut

I really like this idea. And being from Chicago it’s sort of how a lot of business gets done. Maybe I’ll hit up the Callaway rep on a demo day at the end of the season with “an offer he can’t refuse”.  

Edited by Hacker60521

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

3 hours ago, CudaKota66 said:

I understand your thoughts, but......what are you worried about? FOMO? Not having the latest & greatest? I've had my ass kicked (& my money taken) by players with MacGregors & Ping Eye2s 🙄

I think my main concerns were around fatigue and wear. That’s why I was thinking more of the “like new” clubs that may not have taken a lot of hits. Mostly focusing on woods. But was just waiting for someone to say “be careful of ….” Which just doesn’t seem to be the case.  Side note. I played Ping Eye2s for years and still have a Ping Anser Cu putter   

9 hours ago, tzan said:

Is this a serious question? Do you even read the articles in MGS? 

Apologies for having wasted your time. But thanks for taking the time to answer my question. 

Well, I think it is a great idea if you have been fit in resent years and have a shaft that really works well for you.  A few years ago I purchased a driver shaft tip that can fit any major driver because I went through a full fitting and the shaft is a great fit for me.  Two years later I switched brand of driver but kept the same shaft making the transition seamless after matching the swing weight for $15.  

I went and got fit for new irons and 1 year later had the brilliant idea of having my favorite irons from the past regrooved and refinished, and the shafts swapped for the ones from my fitting and sold the 1 year old irons for a more than the work on the old irons.  I love those irons all over again! 

I have also had wedges regrooved (not playing them anymore, wore them out again). 

Refinishing old putters I buy on ebay for a song has been a side hustle for a while now.  Buy an old Ping or Scotty cheap get it refinished in a unique way and you can sell them as one of a kinds for a Grand or more.  Especially in the asian markets.

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

1 hour ago, Hacker60521 said:

I think my main concerns were around fatigue and wear. That’s why I was thinking more of the “like new” clubs that may not have taken a lot of hits. Mostly focusing on woods. But was just waiting for someone to say “be careful of ….” Which just doesn’t seem to be the case.  Side note. I played Ping Eye2s for years and still have a Ping Anser Cu putter   

If you loved the Ping Eye2s and Ping Anser Cu putter I would highly recommend The Iron Factory to have them regrooved and refinished.  The putter check out The Golf Garage for custom refinishing.  Both are cheaper than buying new and you know you like them.  

If you have a driver shaft you like you can retip it to the brand you want to switch to for cheap and get whatever head you want.  I have a tip I use that is universal with any brand.  I have used this shaft with a Taylormade, Callaway and now Titleist driver head.

Iron are good for decades.  Woods are good for a few years why buy brand new for two more yards over the previous year.  Let your buddies buy the newest if you see a great improvement for them Get one and drop it on your go to shaft. 

A cool side note: I just read an article that said in LIV where many of the players have no club contracts the most played driver brand is Ping and many guys are using models that are a a few years old.   

Driver: Titleist TSR 3 10* Accura TZ6 M3 65g

Fairways: Callaway Rogue 15* & 19* Matrix Ozik TP 6 HD stiff 

Hybrid: Titleist TSI 4 & 5 Hybrids Mitsubishi Tensi AV 65 HY X stiff   

Irons:  KZG Forged III 6-P Accura iS7 (Refinished and regrooved)

Wedges: Cleveland CBX  50*, Taylormade MG 3 Tiger grind 56 bent to 54/10 & Taylormade MG 4 Tiger grind 56 bent to 58/14

Putter: Positive Putter's Custom P2 (think Edel putter meets Heavy Putter)

Ball: Callaway Chome Tour                        

All clubs have Winn Dri-Tac Wraps oversized

Like almost everyone has said, if you have a solid idea what you are looking for, go for it.  Most of my current and past clubs have been previous models or used clubs.  I've bought several used clubs from Global Golf and Rock Bottom Golf that the clubs looked in better condition than described in my opinion.  There are other reputable used club sites out there as well.  Most of them offer the ability to trade in clubs also, which is another way to offset any new costs for clubs you are getting.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned that I want to add.

MUCH OF THE USED and PREVIOUS MODEL EQUIPMENT will have a return window where you can try it out for a certain period of time, and if it isn't right for you, you send it back and you're just out the shipping cost.

For example, I recently purchased a "like new" Cobra LTDx LS driver at a great price, but turned out the shaft was not the fit I had hoped for.  I had paid for it with existing credit from previous trades, and was just out the $10 prepaid shipping lable to return it.

Just be careful with this so you don't miss the return window.  It can vary quite a bit and not all items are part of it, so be thorough before you order it.

:srixon-small:      ZX7 Driver 9.5 Stiff flex Smoke Black shaft

:taylormade-small:   3HL 17 Rocketballz Matrix Ozik Stiff

:wilson_staff_small: C300 Hybrids 20. 23 Fujikura Speeder Stiff

:taylormade-small:   Stealth 5- GW Ventus Red 6-R

(Sorry, no Edison logo as of yet)   Edison 49 and 55 degree wedges                                                               :cleveland-small: RTX 4 56/8  64/6 Raw Wedges

:EVNROLL:  ER5 CS 35 in putter

:ShotScope:  V3 GPS Shot tracker watch

:OnCore:   OnCore Elixr

Irons, wedges, and putter oh my! Yes buy used if you like them. But be weary of woods. Itnwas used and couldn't see he was hitting the crown on his tee shots and split it. Only way I found out was after one use, I cleaned it with a wet rag and felt the water in the head.

I am what I am, and that is all that I am.

This is something that I do when I need to update my set.   There are lots of reviews the years after and my game is not serious enough and my pockets deep enough to warrant full price for new equipment. 

Stealth Plus 9 Driver

Cobra SZ Big 3 Wood 13.5

Cobra SZ 2 Hybrid 

Ping I-500 irons 4-PW

Ping Glide 3.0 wedges 50,54,58

Odyssey Stroke Lab DbleWide Putter 

10 minutes ago, Jcase2210 said:

The only club in my bag that I’ve bought new is my putter, and that’s cause I wanted a fresh in plastic Scotty Cameron. Everything else I love finding at my local shop for a little discount! Great option to get into some nice stuff.

Nothing wrong with that! Taking the plastic off my Phantom 7.5 was awesome!

I’ve got a bad reeling about this

On 2/23/2024 at 1:41 AM, cnosil said:

1) If they are the correct setup for you I say go for it. 

2) I primarily buy used clubs.  Great way to save money and get nice equipment.  Remember,  the first time you hit a club it is used.   I have a local shop that has a great supply of used clubs and takes trade ins and have bought drivers, fairways, hybrids, irons, wedges, and putters.   I have also bought used from some of the various online stores.

Very similar to this - it's worth ensuring that you're not forcing it on yourself as it's a good deal but I tend to buy second hand. There is a re-seller near me that you can go and try out all the clubs on a sim first and they're ex-pros so offer advice and a bit of customisation which is great (i.e. for drivers helping with calibration etc or suggesting a different shaft). 

Once you know what you like etc though, I'd have no issue going off an online store for something I know is new but has the right setup for me. 

D - Callaway X 416

3 Hybrid - Mizuno JPX850

Irons - Mizuno MPH4 5-PW

54deg Vokey SM7

50deg & 58 deg Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full-Face

P - Odyssey Tank 2 ball