MmmmmmBuddy

How'd you play?

Our Sponsors

On 7/27/2020 at 5:55 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I just went outside working with the Planemate and I thought I'd give you an idea of how slow my my backswing is. I took a swing at my old pace and counted, to five, as I was going back. My new tempo is closer to the step change rhythm while doing SuperSpeed, something around 2.5 - 3  to 1. I think I was horribly out of sequence, causing a bad case of the lefts. If I can, I'll post up a video to give you an idea of how it looks. 

Two random thoughts for you to ponder... just remember I’m about as far from a PGA professional as anyone can be.

1. I’m a firm believer that a persons personality has a lot to do with the tempo of their golf swing. For example, I do everything fast. Walk, talk, etc. my swing has a pretty quick tempo. Whenever I’m between clubs, I’d rather swing harder with the more lofted club than slow down my swing or choke down on a stronger lofted one.  My brain doesn’t allow me todo anything other than decel in most cases when I try to change. Try to swing more to your “personality” if that makes sense.

2. A great drill for you might be just laying a cardboard box one of your clubs came in just outside where your ball would be. Just try to make half swings at first, and not hitting the box on your downswing. Then go to a full swing when you feel comfortable, and finally do it with a ball in place on the ground parallel to the box.

Good luck, and keep plugging. As much as you love the game, I just know there’s a single digit player inside you....

EDIT as I continue to read on in the thread, I see much better players than myself offering advice. Move my little missive here to the back of the line, 😝 and again, keep plugging. You got this.

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 6

:ping-small: G400 Max 9* set at 10* Alta 

:callaway-small: Rogue 15* & 19* Quaranta 50

:callaway-small: Rogue X 4 hybrid Synergy 60  

PXG 0211 5-GW MMT 70 

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 54*SS & 58*SS

:EVNROLL: ER5 33.5" or :yes-small: Tracy 33.5"

Played my worst round in probably 2 months last night... a combination of terrible iron play, bad course management, and plain bad luck... playing a short par 3 course on Friday to focus on ball striking... scramble on Sunday so I just need to hit a decent shot once in a while

• Like 4

WITB

Driver: Titleist TS2 10.5º w/ Diamana DF 60 TX

3 Wood: Titleist 915F 16.5º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17º w/ Even Flow

Titleist 816 H1 21º & 25º w/ Diamana Blueboard

Irons (6-PW): Srixon 765 w/ Project X LZ

Wedges: 50º Ping Glide, 54º & 60º PXG 0311

Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

2 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Two random thoughts for you to ponder... just remember I’m about as far from a PGA professional as anyone can be.

1. I’m a firm believer that a persons personality has a lot to do with the tempo of their golf swing. For example, I do everything fast. Walk, talk, etc. my swing has a pretty quick tempo. Whenever I’m between clubs, I’d rather swing harder with the more lofted club than slow down my swing or choke down on a stronger lofted one.  My brain doesn’t allow me todo anything other than decel in most cases when I try to change. Try to swing more to your “personality” if that makes sense.

2. A great drill for you might be just laying a cardboard box one of your clubs came in just outside where your ball would be. Just try to make half swings at first, and not hitting the box on your downswing. Then go to a full swing when you feel comfortable, and finally do it with a ball in place on the ground parallel to the box.

Good luck, and keep plugging. As much as you love the game, I just know there’s a single digit player inside you....

EDIT as I continue to read on in the thread, I see much better players than myself offering advice. Move my little missive here to the back of the line, 😝 and again, keep plugging. You got this.

My handicap is hovering around a 20 right now, so you qualify as a better player in my book. I'll give the box drill a try and see if it can keep me away from the shanks, I really appreciate your advice! 

29 minutes ago, tommc23 said:

Played my best ever round today. Shot a 91, I left a bunch of shots out there and could have easily broke 90. First 9 was great bogey or par on nearly every hole the back 9 was not a lot of shots worse only 5 worse but it was a lot slower. The pace was great on the front the back I stood around a lot and I was walking in 92° heat. I also had to take my shoes off due to having socks tear and that caused my heels to blister. Taking shoes off caused me to lose 10 yards or so on every club which made scoring tougher. It was a good birthday though and shooting my best round made it a good day.

Awesome round! I hate you had an issue with blisters, I would have loved seeing you in the 80's. Keep at it and I'm positive you'll be there soon!

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

My handicap is hovering around a 20 right now, so you qualify as a better player in my book. I'll give the box drill a try and see if it can keep me away from the shanks, I really appreciate your advice! 

Awesome round! I hate you had an issue with blisters, I would have loved seeing you in the 80's. Keep at it and I'm positive you'll be there soon!

Yea it was rough going barefoot I couldn't stop sliding. This is why I put the Ecco bioms on the shelf and I forgot why I stopped wearing them. I can golf sockless in the Footjoy without issue wish I had worn them, but I wanted to see if the bioms would be good for walking and that's a NO! I was drilling my 3w 250 today and shoeless I couldn't get above 230. That means a lot of shots with my 4i which I hit well but I was turning it right to left more than I was hitting my normal left to right.

• Like 3

Played my best ever round today. Shot a 91, I left a bunch of shots out there and could have easily broke 90. First 9 was great bogey or par on nearly every hole the back 9 was not a lot of shots worse only 5 worse but it was a lot slower. The pace was great on the front the back I stood around a lot and I was walking in 92° heat. I also had to take my shoes off due to having socks tear and that caused my heels to blister. Taking shoes off caused me to lose 10 yards or so on every club which made scoring tougher. It was a good birthday though and shooting my best round made it a good day.

Birthday!! It’s your Birthday!!
Well Happy Birthday

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Horrendous morning, everything was great except my game. 3 Pars, 6 Bogie’s. Couldn’t putt to save my life.
Got a little thrown off at the start but didn’t affect the game. Two of the guys in the group in front of us were late getting to Start. They had presidential political decals and signs all over the carts. One of the guys was definitely looking for a comment or anything from us. We just do our thing. My views and my friends views are our own.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 8

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

4 hours ago, dlow206 said:

And those bad toe shots are just as bad as a hosel rocket. 

Unless you are talking about almost missing the ball entirely and hitting it off the end of the blade, I disagree with you. Hosel rockets are very unsettling, imo. Up until a couple years ago, I had never done it either. I'll take a miss off the toe any day. If you are talking about hitting the ball with the very end of the blade so it shoots off at a brutal angle, I've never done that, so maybe it is just as bad.

• Like 1

Driver: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 9.5* Recoil 460ES cut to 45"
3W: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 15* Recoil 460ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-PW:  :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
AW: :mizuno-small:S5 52*
SW: :cleveland-small: 588
LW: :callaway-small: MD3
Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab Marxman
Bag: :bridgestone-small: Tour B Stand Bag
Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

:SuperSpeed: Tester
Starting Driver Speed on PRGR Monitor: 102 mph

Final Driver Speed (end of Level 2): 120 mph

3 hours ago, MaxEntropy said:

Unless you are talking about almost missing the ball entirely and hitting it off the end of the blade, I disagree with you. Hosel rockets are very unsettling, imo. Up until a couple years ago, I had never done it either. I'll take a miss off the toe any day. If you are talking about hitting the ball with the very end of the blade so it shoots off at a brutal angle, I've never done that, so maybe it is just as bad.

I have hit a few so far off the toe that it mimics a hosel rocket, just not as hot. Like it won't kill someone you hit them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 7/14/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1 - Stability Shaft

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

7 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

This has been the hardest year for me to gauge my game since I began playing about 20 years ago.

First an elbow injury that put me on the shelf for 6-7 weeks, and the entire the entire covid situation limited both my play and practice.

The biggest factor however was just not being able to concentrate or even enjoy the few rounds I did get to play because my mom had gotten really sick just after the holidays. I live 700 miles away from my family, and I was back and forth for weeks at a time trying to do what I could to help her, and be of assistance to my two sisters.

God finally took her 2 weeks ago, and yesterday was the first day I felt up to posting again. I’m stuck up here on Long Island until Sunday because of the quarantine travel ban  thing between SC and NY without my clubs, because I had no desire to bring them or play.

Each day I feel a little better, and am just starting to feel an urge to really start playing again when I get back home. I’ll probably dive in head first, playing even more than I normally would, just in an attempt to keep my mind occupied.

Why am I telling all of you this?

In a way it’s to thank you. This place is wonderful, and I appreciate the friendly way everyone here interacts with others. So many other sites are very different. I told you I hadn’t posted in a while, but I can’t tell you how many nights the last few weeks I’ve read this thread and the what are you buying one. They helped take my mind off things and even gave me a few smiles during a very hard time.

Thanks for that. 👍

Condolences on your loss...

MDGolfHacker

• Like 3

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

Played today and driver continued to get worse. Was missing left and right, couldn't figure out what was wrong. Finally, on hole 12, I decided to try to put a smoother swing on the ball. I didn't really slow down my swing, but was more patient in transition. Turns out, that was the swing I was making previously when driver was a fairway finder. Ended up hitting 4/5 fairways dead center from hole 12 onwards. Should have been 5/5, but got a little cocky on 18 trying to hit one around the corner. Still with that shot on 18, it was just a few yards into the rough, not a OB ball.

Hole of the day for me was #12. Didn't catch the drive on the screws, but hit a sufficient drive down the center. Followed that up with a slightly thin 219 yard 4 wood from the fairway. Hit a good pitch shot, but rolled a little long. Hit my 34 foot lag putt to within a couple feet and then knocked in the par putt. Sometimes I can play competent golf.

953889993_Attachment-1(1).jpeg.eaaf6b744f0f28b00c46351a2737a555.jpeg

• Like 6

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 7/14/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1 - Stability Shaft

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

Decided to put the old driver and fwws in the bag.  Why?  Apparently I wanted to torture myself during the round🤦‍♂️.  Like it wasn't enough to have to wait on every hole as well for the two groups in front of us.  Stopped keeping score after the 6th hole as a severe thunder/ lightning storm came up quickly and after losing two more tee shots (this time from the 3 wood off the tee).

MDGolfHacker

• Like 5

What's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :cobra-small: F8 9.5° Project X Even Flow Blue 65g shaft 

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 5W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Hybrid: :titelist-small: 816H2 19°

Irons: :mizuno-small: MP-20 SEL Project X 5.5 shafts 5-PW

:mizuno-small: MP-20 HMB Project X 5.5 shaft 4 Iron

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro

Social Media:

Facebook:   md golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

Currently Testing: :skycaddie: LX5 Watch

8 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

This has been the hardest year for me to gauge my game since I began playing about 20 years ago.

First an elbow injury that put me on the shelf for 6-7 weeks, and the entire the entire covid situation limited both my play and practice.

The biggest factor however was just not being able to concentrate or even enjoy the few rounds I did get to play because my mom had gotten really sick just after the holidays. I live 700 miles away from my family, and I was back and forth for weeks at a time trying to do what I could to help her, and be of assistance to my two sisters.

God finally took her 2 weeks ago, and yesterday was the first day I felt up to posting again. I’m stuck up here on Long Island until Sunday because of the quarantine travel ban  thing between SC and NY without my clubs, because I had no desire to bring them or play.

Each day I feel a little better, and am just starting to feel an urge to really start playing again when I get back home. I’ll probably dive in head first, playing even more than I normally would, just in an attempt to keep my mind occupied.

Why am I telling all of you this?

In a way it’s to thank you. This place is wonderful, and I appreciate the friendly way everyone here interacts with others. So many other sites are very different. I told you I hadn’t posted in a while, but I can’t tell you how many nights the last few weeks I’ve read this thread and the what are you buying one. They helped take my mind off things and even gave me a few smiles during a very hard time.

Thanks for that. 👍

So sorry to hear about your mom.  Your post reminded me that my mom passed away 3 years ago last Saturday.  I live 300 miles from my mom and dad, and I made many trips in the year before she passed to help out.  I didn't have to deal with COVID though.  However, my dad is in an assisted living facility, and it's locked down; haven't been able to visit since early February. 

I hope you can get out and enjoy a round of golf soon.  It does have a way of taking your mind off life's problems.  We are always here when you need us.

• Like 4

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 hours ago, Jwhite86 said:

Played my worst round in probably 2 months last night... a combination of terrible iron play, bad course management, and plain bad luck... playing a short par 3 course on Friday to focus on ball striking... scramble on Sunday so I just need to hit a decent shot once in a while

Good idea, work on the irons, as we know in a scramble, it is a must to get those approach shots close, even closer.  Then roll that rock......

• Like 2

8 hours ago, daviddvm said:

That looks to be a sinister course☠️

It is! I'm used to playing municipal courses where a really bad slice or hook will end up in the next fairway over. Here there are only two spots where that could happen - everywhere else a badly missed fairway means a lost ball in a canyon! It was immaculately maintained though - you could putt from 30 feet short of the green in the fairway if you so chose.

• Like 2

Check out my review of the  EXPUTT Putting Simulator

Driver - :nike-small: Vapor Speed, 9.5°, Fubuki Z50 S
Hybrid - Warrior 3H

Irons - :wilson_staff_small: D200 5-GW, uniflex, std length/loft/lie
Wedges - :cleveland-small: CBX 52°, 58°
Putter - :1332069271_TommyArmour: Torch 03 w/ GolfPride Tour SNSR Contour Pro grip

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

9 hours ago, dlow206 said:

Jinxing myself now, but I dont think I have ever hit a hosel rocket. However, I have hit way too many atrocious shots off the toe though. And those bad toe shots are just as bad as a hosel rocket. 

While there are no jinxes in the laws of physics, you maybe poking the bear wee a bit.   Even saying the words can make a hosel rocket a reality.  And never should we utter the "S-word".

• Like 4

While there are no jinxes in the laws of physics, you maybe poking the bear wee a bit.   Even saying the words can make a hosel rocket a reality.  And never should we utter the "S-word".

Except if we're talking about@shankster.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

In the bag:
:taylormade-small: M5 Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
Fairway: Sub 70 939X 15° Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 119 19° hybrid Project X Even Flow Blue 6.0
:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 4-GW UST Mamiya Recoil 680 F4
:cleveland-small: Smartsole S
:yes-small: Tracy
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls::Snell: MTB-X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Testing: :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged 4-GW Project X Catalyst 80 6.0

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the Queen🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Played the par 3 course to try out the new Callaway Jaws wedge.  Well we didn't get along the first time out and I could not control my distance with it whatsoever.  Tempted to send it back to callawaypreowned already, but may give it one more round before I call it quits.  I've not gotten along with callaway wedges in the past, but thought I'd try again and veer from my trusted vokeys.   The bounce is and grind is different, but it's what was recommended.  I did have similar experience to my SM8 when I first received so I know it's me and not the wedge ofcourse.

To the quick round.  I expected to be flag hunting in all honesty, my distance control and approach game has been rock solid this year.  

The Bad: Only hit 3 of 9 greens and most holes were 115 and less. Swing did not really feel that solid all day.  I had 3 bogeys.

The Good: For the most part, I was within my margins for starting the ball online. A pull or push here or there, but nothing major.  

Remind myself that these greens are much smaller than a normal course greens - although that would just leave me with more 50 foot putts LOL

Scrambling was very good, made a couple 15 foot par putts after tough pitches.  Had several tap ins after nice chips.  

Poured in a 15 foot downhill birdie putt on the last hole to close out

Edited by juspoole
  • Like 4

Driver:  image.png.3c6db1120d888f669e07d4a8f890b3f1.pngMavrik Sub Zero 9* (Set to 10) Ventus Blue 6X

3 Wood: :titelist-small: 917F2 Fujikura Pro 84 Tour Spec S

3 Hybrid: :titelist-small: 818 H2 Hybrid Tensei Blue 80 X

Irons 4-PW: :mizuno-small: MP 18 SC Dynamic Gold AMT X

Gap/Sand Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 49*  SM8 54* 

Lob Wedge:  :titelist-small: Vokey SM6 58* Nippon Modus Wedge

Putter:  image.png.cca2328f4144a299c795aa9b8f3bf677.png Inovai 6.0              :scotty-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 35"  

Club Championship starts tomorrow (Friday).  3 days of stroke play.  Temperatures in the afternoons expected to be around 106 degrees.  Going to make for a heck of a weekend!  Even the morning tee times are going to be pretty brutal.  Thankfully, I won't have to walk in that heat.

• Like 3

Driver: :ping-small: G400 Max 9 degree Alta CB55 Stiff shaft 

Hybrids: :taylormade-small: M6 --- 3 (19 degrees), 4 (22 degrees), and 5 (25 degrees) Atmos shaft R

Irons: :callaway-small:Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW KBS Tour Graphite  70g shafts R

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX-2 52*, 56*, 60* wedges.  Stock shafts.

Putter: :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7S

Ball: :Snell: MTB-X

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

On 7/27/2020 at 9:42 AM, artful_golfer said:

@downlowkey gave me the website of Tortus Mountain https://www.tortusmtn.com/

It is a little like MyGolfSpy in that they test, review, and recommend except it's for Hemp and CBD products. It's been a good way for me to sort through industry information and learn what kind of product works best for me and why. I even found one brand that let me order a .5 oz sample for only $5 (normally $85 for 2 oz). Even if you don't go with a recommended brand the site is a great way to sort through the industry clutter.

Thx for that. Had ordered a cream to try after seeing the MGS review; so also checked out that^^ site and ended up ordering one of the sticks to try out, too. Fingers crossed for some relief .. have had a nagging spasm in the upper-right back that's been defying other pain relieving creams, TENS treatment, back rollers, heck even an acupressure mat ... but what's really annoying is it's messing with my golf game AND keeping me out of the water (at least no good waves recently anyway)...

• Like 1

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Big Bertha 4H (Recoil ZTR) and/or Callaway XR 4H (Project X SD)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 (Rotex graphite) and Callaway X-Jaws 60 (TT-DG S300)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g)
..all in a Datrek Hybrid bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator