Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Ping Rapture Irons

Ok so I was looking around at a local pro shop and there were a ton of used irons there so I decided to try a bunch(callaway xhot, ping g20, ping g25, ping rapture). Ok long story short the g20 and the raptures were some of the best irons for me that I have ever hit forgiving and very long. Both of these had the stock graphite shafts. So I decided to trade my irons in for the set of raptures they are a used demo set 4-sw the grips are in great condition and so are the heads and grooves. My question is could I have the shafts from the g20 put into the older raptures. Or what would be a similar performing shaft to the stock shaft that does not look so blah. Btw I took the irons out last night and shot a personal best 9 hole score 42 on a par 36.

Thanks

Paul

So you took em out, shot your personal best and want to make changes? Umm... Forgive me if I'm off base, but WHY?

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

No don't get me wrong I really love the way they play for me, not so much the look of the shafts. They are kind of ugly to be honest and I know I'm being nitpicky, but can you refinish/paint graphite shafts? Oh well I'm sure I will adjust to them was really wondering if it's possible to change the way they look.

No don't get me wrong I really love the way they play for me, not so much the look of the shafts. They are kind of ugly to be honest and I know I'm being nitpicky, but can you refinish/paint graphite shafts? Oh well I'm sure I will adjust to them was really wondering if it's possible to change the way they look.

Are they graphite or steel

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

Mr Theoo may have an answer for you. If I remember correctly his iron shafts are decidedly 'non-stock' in color. Not sure where he had them done or if he bought them like that, but you may want to check out his Whats In THe Bag (WITB) thread or contact him by PM.

You can get them painted, but it's not a job I'd want to take on myself. You need someone who really knows what they are doing as you have to add a flex agent to the paint so it doesn't crack when the shafts bend. Another option would be shaft skins, it's kind of like a shrink wrap that goes on over the shaft. I've never tried them personally, but they have some cool looking patterns or just blank colors. You could also try calling Vibrant Golf, but I'm not sure if they do graphite shafts or just steel.

You also need to decide how much you want to invest in making them look good, going to route of painting or Vibrant Golf is probably going to cost more than the set is worth.

One last option, if it's the graphics you hate you could just turn the shafts so the graphics are down. If it's the entire shaft or the colors that obviously won't work.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

You can get them painted, but it's not a job I'd want to take on myself. You need someone who really knows what they are doing as you have to add a flex agent to the paint so it doesn't crack when the shafts bend. Another option would be shaft skins, it's kind of like a shrink wrap that goes on over the shaft. I've never tried them personally, but they have some cool looking patterns or just blank colors. You could also try calling Vibrant Golf, but I'm not sure if they do graphite shafts or just steel.

You also need to decide how much you want to invest in making them look good, going to route of painting or Vibrant Golf is probably going to cost more than the set is worth.

One last option, if it's the graphics you hate you could just turn the shafts so the graphics are down. If it's the entire shaft or the colors that obviously won't work.

I looked on their website and Vibrant Golf only does steel shafts. Here's a link to some other website that does graphite shafts

http://www.shaftskinz.com/

Also just curious, what kind of graphite shafts are on the irons?

I looked on their website and Vibrant Golf only does steel shafts. Here's a link to some other website that does graphite shafts

http://www.shaftskinz.com/

Also just curious, what kind of graphite shafts are on the irons?

That's the one I was thinking of, but looks like the company is going under and not selling any more. Here is the quote from the front of their page if you click on the link.

***SPECIAL NOTICE***

Well, after a number of years of trying to help golfers around the world ‘Play with color' we are winding up operations. Sadly, we have found it more difficult than anticipated to get our unique shaft sleeves into golf retailer stores where we had hoped they would be offered as installed items.

We still have a quantity of sleeves that we are interested in selling as a ‘lot' to any interested party. We welcome all serious enquiries via our Contact Us page.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

There is shaftwraps.com which works on graphite shafts

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic 10.5 set to 9.5 w/ Tour AD-DI 44.5

FW:   :cobra-small: F6 baffler set at 16º

Hybrid:  NONE
Irons:   :taylormade-small:  3i 2014 TP CB  4-PW 2011 TP MC w/ TT S400

Wedges:   :nike-small: 52º :nike-small: 56º  :edel-golf-1: 60 º w/ KBS C-Taper XS Soft-stepped

Putter:   :ping-small: Sigma G Tyne 34 inches Gold dot

That's the one I was thinking of, but looks like the company is going under and not selling any more. Here is the quote from the front of their page if you click on the link.

***SPECIAL NOTICE***

Well, after a number of years of trying to help golfers around the world ‘Play with color' we are winding up operations. Sadly, we have found it more difficult than anticipated to get our unique shaft sleeves into golf retailer stores where we had hoped they would be offered as installed items.

We still have a quantity of sleeves that we are interested in selling as a ‘lot' to any interested party. We welcome all serious enquiries via our Contact Us page.

I didn't even notice that, well that's a shame.

I wouldn't touch them, personally. Pulling them could lead to failure of the shaft, painting them could alter weight (or balance or a litany of things). Shaft wraps would be alright, but they too will add weight.

Focus on looking at the ball instead of the shafts. Who cares what the shafts look like as long as you hit them well. And I customize a ton of clubs, but once I get one right/perfect for me, I don't touch it. You should see the strong 3 wood I played for about 6 years. I ghosted it and haven't touched it since. There's pop-up marks where I let my cousin hit it and everything. I'm afraid to do anything that may alter it and make it play different, lol,

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

Ok thank you guys for the replies, I really appreciate it. I guess I will just let them go as is I would hate to mess with them and change the way they play. I guess it's just my crazy need to tinker with my golf equipment I have done it before and not been happy with the result.

Thanks again

Paul

Archived