GolfSpy WD

MGS Community Labs - SCOR Short Iron Testing

Our Sponsors

There is crusty film, then there is hard pan dirt.    At two of the courses where I play,  your first option is always putting out of them if you can find a ski jump lip to putt over,   If you can't,  you go for the hack chop to hopefully get under it.  The Scors are pretty good at this.

bag - SunMountain Synch with Ogio Synergy X4 cart
driver - :callaway-small: Optiforce 440, Paderson Kevlar Green stiff 46.5"
fwoods - :taylormade-small: Jetspeed, 3HL regular
irons - :taylormade-small:  Speedblades 3-8, 85g stiff steel, 2 up
wedges - :edilon-small: Scor 40, 45, 50, 54, 58
putter - :ping-small: Ketsch 35" slight arc, SuperStroke 2.0 mid-slim
ball - :titelist-small: ProV1x

Yeah, I remember the sand in St. George.  Lots of variation from course-to-course and from hole-to-hole on a course.  Same thing here in SE Washington state.  We like to go to central Oregon for great gold that is only about a 5 hour drive.  Here is one of my favorite courses with lava sand, Aspen Lakes in Sisters, Oregon.

Mmmmmm Aspen Lakes.  Good track.  I enjoy the Aspen Lakes / Black Butte Double in the middle of the summer. 

What I lug around the golf course in my MacKenzie Walker.

Driver -   Ping G410 Plus 9° Tour 65 S
Fairway -  :srixon-small: Z785 13.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: Z785  TTDG IT S400 3,5-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX4 Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Nike  Method Converge B1-01 UST Frequency Filter/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black / Ping Anser F/ Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.

Mmmmmm Aspen Lakes.  Good track.  I enjoy the Aspen Lakes / Black Butte Double in the middle of the summer. 

Me too.  We played both Black Butte courses and Aspen Lakes this spring; just before the Central Oregon Shootout at those courses plus Eagle Crest (my least favorite one in the area).  Met some very nice people where were playing in the tournament; one Duck and one Beaver as a team!  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I've now played 5+ rounds using the Scors as my sole wedges.    Pretty much all my quibbles from earlier posts have been fixed or compensated for.  I've now had three straight rounds with really good, controlled sand shots that feel great.   I also went in and had all my Scor's checked for loft and lie and adjusted most of them slightly.   This adjustment turned them from just okay-accurate to dead on pin-seeking accurate.    They still tend to dig in fairways and I have to sweep with a full follow through, but the rough shots remain thoroughly superb.  They are a bit longer than normal out of the rough so I have to remember that while my Scor 45 will be 135 from the fairway, it'll probably go 140 from the rough.

I post these updates because all too often I find you'll read internet reviews that will test a new club for a half a bucket of balls right after it's released and then you never hear boo again.   These Scors have gotten better with more exposure to them.  If I were to repeat my early tests posted here, I think I'd find that they would perform much better than they did before -- and they did well enough before to convince me to switch from what I used to play.

I played a course in Bismark, ND a few years back where the bunkers were all black.  They were filled with a by-product of the coal burning power plants.

As I remember, it was loose and dry to the touch.  My wedge could slide right though it easily.

Driver: Cobra King F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Cobra King F8 GW(50*) SW(54*) LW(58*) Putter: 33" Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 mallet putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Well we are all over the place here literally, figuratively and topically.

@ Kenny if you were references me I don't have a grandson in the Pacific Northwest. I apologize if I gave that impression. It's the one part of the country I've yet to visit. I do have a son in the Navy and he's on subs. If he does his 20, which is looking likely, he could well end up there at some point. Then I would have a son and a grandson up there.

Mark that is always the issue with testing, who's to say there wouldn't be a different result if the user were more familiar with the test club. It's also why I don't like to use once and purchase. Who knows what was happening with my swing on a given day. I like two or better three cracks before buying.

For this test I was actually more familiar with SCOR than my gamers. I've had a pair of SCOR wedges in my bag for two plus years. My Wilson's were new. I am so good around the green with my SCOR 48, I absolutely love that club.

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

Watching the guy bend my Scors reminded me that because they are forged, they bend really easily.   Just leaning on them bends them out of spec.   I used to check my forged irons at least once a year, I guess I'll have to start doing that again.

Would somebody PM me the coupon code or special deal we have with Scor?   I think I'll just go order my 41 straight from them.   They are really hard to find on Ebay.

Would somebody PM me the coupon code or special deal we have with Scor?   I think I'll just go order my 41 straight from them.   They are really hard to find on Ebay.

done.

Driver: Cobra King F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Cobra King F8 GW(50*) SW(54*) LW(58*) Putter: 33" Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 mallet putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

Well we are all over the place here literally, figuratively and topically.

@ Kenny if you were references me I don't have a grandson in the Pacific Northwest. I apologize if I gave that impression. It's the one part of the country I've yet to visit. I do have a son in the Navy and he's on subs. If he does his 20, which is looking likely, he could well end up there at some point. Then I would have a son and a grandson up there.

Rev,

Sorry if If misunderstood about your grandson.  I couldn't remember which post it was mentioned in, so had to go searching.  I found it under your Kids and Golf thread started on Tuesday.

"@ Kenny I didn't realize my grandson was out your way."

If you haven't been out here in the great Pacific Northwest, you are missing great views and great golf.  I can tell you though that I don't miss the Bermuda grass of Florida.  I thought I was a decent putter until I went there for the first time!  Takes some getting used to.  I am headed to Phoenix in a couple of weeks, so I will need to spend the first few days practicing on it again.  But I think Arizona keeps their Bermuda a lot shorter than I remember in Florida.  Seems easier from the rough and on the green.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ah yes I remember it had to do with some sort of behavior and that was a lame attempt at humor.

A lot of our better courses have switched to a different type of Bermuda known as Tiff Eagle. It plays more like bent, it's easier to make it fast, it's very firm and there's much less grain. I've never struggled with Bermuda and am kind of sad to see it go. My league course has old school Bermuda with not intent to change. That's just fine with me, I know how the ball breaks. I do have some issues with reading them when they are over seeded.

I wish everyone would get rid of the Bermuda rough but that's not happening any time soon. That will keep SCOR in business though. :)

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

My trip to Phoenix will be my first since I bought my SCOR wedges about a year ago, so I haven't played them out of Bermuda yet.

My wife and I are playing the local country club (semi-private) tomorrow, and the wedges always get a workout there.

Thanks to you and markb on the testing of the SCORs; I ordered the 46 and 50 to go with my 54 and 58. Hopefully, I will have them before my trip. Great deal on the MGS coupon!

My trip to Phoenix will be my first since I bought my SCOR wedges about a year ago, so I haven't played them out of Bermuda yet.

My wife and I are playing the local country club (semi-private) tomorrow, and the wedges always get a workout there.

Thanks to you and markb on the testing of the SCORs; I ordered the 46 and 50 to go with my 54 and 58. Hopefully, I will have them before my trip. Great deal on the MGS coupon![/quote

You are welcome on the testing and you'll love those additions to the set. My 48 has been my go to chipping club since the first chip at TPC Sawgrass.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Another round today with Scor's only.   Another great day out of the sand with the 58 and I had a bunch of pin-seekers with the other clubs that ended up inside of ten feet on full shots.  It was a wet day and I didn't have any trouble with the wet turf like I thought I would.   Yes the Scor's are diggers, but the graves they dig seem to be consistently the same depth whether the turf is wet or dry.   The heavy, small heads just carve the same gouge regardless of what they encounter, be it rough, thin bent fairway or spongy turf.  

I'm noticing that when you swing a Scor, you must give it a good full sweep to get your intended yardage.   If you baby a shot at all or half-ass it without full commitment, you'll probably come up way short.   But when you commit, the results are superb

I've also noticed that I hit a number of line drive skulls with the Scor, more so than with my Speedblades, but these bullets seem to have a lot of spin on them and they tend to check up without too much damage.

Another round today with Scor's only.   Another great day out of the sand with the 58 and I had a bunch of pin-seekers with the other clubs that ended up inside of ten feet on full shots.  It was a wet day and I didn't have any trouble with the wet turf like I thought I would.   Yes the Scor's are diggers, but the graves they dig seem to be consistently the same depth whether the turf is wet or dry.   The heavy, small heads just carve the same gouge regardless of what they encounter, be it rough, thin bent fairway or spongy turf.  

I'm noticing that when you swing a Scor, you must give it a good full sweep to get your intended yardage.   If you baby a shot at all or half-ass it without full commitment, you'll probably come up way short.   But when you commit, the results are superb

I've also noticed that I hit a number of line drive skulls with the Scor, more so than with my Speedblades, but these bullets seem to have a lot of spin on them and they tend to check up without too much damage.

Sounds like a great round! I did the "skull" thing when I first got my 54 and 58 SCORs, but since they spin so well, I learned how to control that shot. Not saying that I am proficient with it, but with practice, it comes in very handy on a few holes at my course.

Waiting patiently for my 46 and 50!

Nah, pretty mediocre.   Drove the ball well, but the fwoods and long irons let me down.  

I'm glad to know it isn't just me with the skulls.  And it's not so much of a true skull because when I look down I still see a slight divot about one to two inches in front of where my ball was.   And the ball doesn't skip over the back of the green like a regular skull.   It's almost a normal length shot.   Damned interesting.  I do it about once a round though -- too much for comfort.

So have you started to grip down and use that method for taking yardage off of shots rather than backing off?  I like to go with the first dot as my standard and then go up or down - takes off or adds about 5 yards, then I throw in a three quarter swing that does the same so that I have a range of 20 yards with each club. 

I hadn't thought so much about the change in swing tempo, I generally don't like to do that anyway.  I try and hit everything at about 80 percent or so.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

yes, I do that and it works much better.  You're always better off choking up with too much club that finessing it or horsing a lower club.

My problems with the bad shots distance wise came when I didn't fully commit to the full shots I knew I needed to do.  Example: on hole 7 I had 131 to a back pin with a slight head wind.   Now my 45 is a 135 club, but behind this hole is death.   Anything long and I'm going to get a 5 or 6.   So with the head wind I knew I need a full shot, but fear caused me to baby it just a bit and I end up 10 yards short and right.   I drop a second ball, fully commit and bingo, I'm pin high 3 ft to the right.   Hole 8 I have 128 to a center pin down wind.   This calls for a full 50 degree going 122 normally.   But I horse it too much and skull it, still it skips to about 120, drop another ball, strike it pure and go to 125, perfect.  

Now I make par on both holes, but if I had stayed fully committed instead of second guessing at the last second, I'm staring at short birdies instead.

yes, I do that and it works much better.  You're always better off choking up with too much club that finessing it or horsing a lower club.

My problems with the bad shots distance wise came when I didn't fully commit to the full shots I knew I needed to do.  Example: on hole 7 I had 131 to a back pin with a slight head wind.   Now my 45 is a 135 club, but behind this hole is death.   Anything long and I'm going to get a 5 or 6.   So with the head wind I knew I need a full shot, but fear caused me to baby it just a bit and I end up 10 yards short and right.   I drop a second ball, fully commit and bingo, I'm pin high 3 ft to the right.   Hole 8 I have 128 to a center pin down wind.   This calls for a full 50 degree going 122 normally.   But I horse it too much and skull it, still it skips to about 120, drop another ball, strike it pure and go to 125, perfect.  

Now I make par on both holes, but if I had stayed fully committed instead of second guessing at the last second, I'm staring at short birdies instead.

That's the five and a half inch part of the game you know. :)  So many people would call those shots physical erros but more and more I think that 90 percent of all physical errors start in the head.

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Played yesterday. I think that I was possessed by Rodney Dangerfield for about 14 holes.  Couldn't find the golf course with half of my shots. From the tees that we were playing, I should have had 5-8 approach shots in the SCOR range.... Ended up with 2. I hit both inside 10 feet. These clubs are simply amazing.... for me.

What I lug around the golf course in my MacKenzie Walker.

Driver -   Ping G410 Plus 9° Tour 65 S
Fairway -  :srixon-small: Z785 13.5° Tensei CK Pro Orange 70 S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 18° AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: Z785  TTDG IT S400 3,5-Pw 1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX4 Raw 50° 54° 58°  TTGDTI S400 1° flat

Putters -   Odyssey Toulon Stroke Lab Austin/Nike  Method Converge B1-01 UST Frequency Filter/Odyssey 2 Ball DFX/ TaylorMade Spider
Tour Black / Ping Anser F/ Scotty Cameron TeI3 Sole Stamp Newport 2. All with different grips, weights, and lengths.