MACTEC M685 FORGED IRONS..FCM SHAFTS ?

Hello

came across a set of these lately, MACTEC M685 FORGED IRONS) (real real cheap, was drawn to the rifle FCM shafts (4.5 flited lite) and they were a bit whippy for me, so i took off the heads and took 0.5 inch from the tips, man oh man they are some beasts.........3 and 4 iron are rippers and dispersion is 15 yards at most and shorter irons fly straight and true, no allowing for the wind (it doesnt touch um, im in Ireland) play to a 3 handicap.

now taking 0.5 inch from the tips (what flex would they be now ?????) 5.5 and of course a loss of a little distance due to the shorter club, 

so in your opinion is this down to the shafts (as have played mizuno blades before and loved them but nothing like this before)

if so i would consider buying flited lites 5.5 and get my 0.5 inch back 

any and all comments are welcomed

regards

$_57.JPG

Welcome Shotshapers!

These are nice clubs. They were the last good set from Macgregor before Golfsmith bought them out. Greg Norman played them. I have a set just like the one you have and love the feel, but steel is no longer for me, so I am reshafting with UST ProForce to match my SCOR wedges. I will give these a try until I get a chance to try the new Ben Hogan irons in the spring.

I agree with Blade. Add a extension to the butt. I would also consider looking into putting grips on with air, like the Pure Grips. That way, if you decide to reshaft, you can easily remove and reuse the grips.

I think you will like them. Good luck and again, welcome!

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Archived