Testers Wanted: RUNNER Golf and Byrdie Golf Design ×

How many low caps play less than avid golf

Lonnie96

My schedule is so sporadic that playing avid golf can be difficult.I might go one week playing 4 rounds of golf.And the next month after I may play once or twice.No matter what I still keep a single digit handicap and break 80 most of my rounds.My only practice is before my round of golf.Anyone else maintain a low handicap playing less than avid?Any tips on how you maintain a decent form by being less active in golf than you would like to be?

Personally for me it is tempo and playing less than aggressive golf.I.E middle of greens and hitting more fairway woods off the tee than driver

I often go 2-4 weeks without playing. Like right now with my schedule I won't play for 2 more week. I will go to the range at least once a week though until I can play.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

Right now I am playing about once a month. Flew in last night late from the west coast and was going to play today but the weather is miserable. Rain tomorrow and snow on Sunday. Last full round I played was three weeks ago and managed 9 holes in Vegas with a loaner set yesterday. All depends on weather and travel.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy mobile app

WITB 2024

Qi10 LS 9* HZRDUS RDX Smoke Blue 60g 6.5

M5 15* Evenflow Black 75g 6.5

Sim Ti 22* HZRDUS Red 75g 6.5

Sim2 Rescue 22* Diamana Thump 100x

X Forged CB 5 - PW MMT 105 TX 

Jaws Raw 50*, 54* & 58* TTDG "OG" Spinner

Toulon Madison BGT Fire 34.75"

Z Star Diamond

Since the beginning of 2015 when I changed jobs I haven't been able to keep up the practice and play schedule I had before.  2014 statistically was my best year ever and I reached a personal all time low index of 3.1.  Since then its been a struggle.  On the GHIN update today I'm a 4.9 but its a little misleading.  Its built mostly on scores I post when I play a military course w/a friend of mine in San Diego that I've played a million times and can shoot 75 blindfolded there.  So its accurate but not travelling well.  I've only 5 posted rounds this year so far.  Range time is sporadic.  But it is what it is.

Great topic, Since I live in Florida you'd think that I could play year round which is true weather wise but not work wise or sometimes family wise either. From June to October I do get to play once a week in a league. (It starts mid-April but I'm sporadic until school gets out). The league is helpful because it's rules of golff, play it down, putt it out stuff. The rest of the time it's a couple of rounds here or there in clusters and rarely anything competitive.

The key for me is that I work near a course with a nice short game practice area so I keep a wedge and putter in my vehicle and get there a couple of times a week at lunch or on a break between the end of school and the start of evening meetings. Also I will hit some balls on the range. Today is my day off, I dont have time to play but I will go hit 40-50 balls and putt for a bit. I'm hoping to get out after church on Sunday. It's been nearly two weeks.

Finally I normally am playing very well in October and hold onto that solid play until January or so. I've found that I need to take at least one lesson in February or bad habits creep in quickly.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Finally a thread that makes me angry lol

Driver -  :taylormade-small: M1 9.5* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Fairway -   :taylormade-small: M1 5W 19* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 70X

Hybrids -   :ping-small: G25 4H 23*

Irons -  :mizuno-small: JPX 850 Forged 4-PW w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Wedges - :mizuno-small: S5 50*07, 54*12, 58*12 w/ Nippon N.S. Pro 1150S

Putter - Oddyssey Metal-X #7 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 2.0

I have averaged 90 trips to the club for 8 years except last year, maybe 30 times. Without the practice and play my handicap went up 2 strokes. I do like to practice on the driving range and get in 30 to 40 rounds of golf.  Practice with a swing aid that works for you may be the solution for your situation.  My medicus helps me keep my swing or get it back when I loose it.

In My Bag

Driver TM 9.5 Burner reg shaft.

3 wood TM 15*             "

5 wood TM 18*             "     "

Cobra baffler 3 hybrid

TM 5 hybrid

TM 6 hybrid

TM RSI Irons 6 thru pw

Titleist  Vokey 52* and 56* wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6 center shafted putter

I probably play around 100 rounds per year with very little practice and nearly no range time and maintain a pretty low handicap. Generally almost all rounds are on the weekend and some are multiple rounds in a day. Not sure how that qualifies or not but I feel like I could be much better if I practiced or played more. 

I've figured out that I gain more from short game practice than range work so I generally focus my small amount of practice time there. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

I don't fit into this group, I play about 200+ times a year, but that is counting 9 holes has a round. There's a 9 hole course close to my office, if it's not busy, I can walk 9 in right at an hour, so I'll play on my lunch break.

I don't fit into this group, I play about 200+ times a year, but that is counting 9 holes has a round. There's a 9 hole course close to my office, if it's not busy, I can walk 9 in right at an hour, so I'll play on my lunch break.

Show off

I can't lower my handicap much by only playing once a week with little to no practice. Over the past 6 months I've climbed from a mid 5.7 hcp to a 7.1 today. (just dropped with todays revision from a 7.9) During the best of the season I will begin to see my hcp drop. I tend to see my hcp roller-coaster throughout the year. My goal this year is the same as last year.... I want my hcp to be an even 5 (or less) by the end of the year. I didn't make it in 2015 finishing the year with a 5.7

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I probably play around 100 rounds per year with very little practice and nearly no range time and maintain a pretty low handicap. Generally almost all rounds are on the weekend and some are multiple rounds in a day. Not sure how that qualifies or not but I feel like I could be much better if I practiced or played more.

I've figured out that I gain more from short game practice than range work so I generally focus my small amount of practice time there.

I feel like playing is better then practice anyway. You will get better from 100 rounds then 100 trips to the range in my opinion. Although sometimes getting to the range to work on your weak spots is important.

Until the last couple months I was practicing my putting at least 3 times a week for 20 minutes in my garage. Since stopping that my putting have been putting terrible which has drastically raised my scores. I usually hit the ball well but my chipping it terrible and my putting usually masks that. All that said I have a 0.8 handicap but as I play more and putt better that will move into the + numbers.

Ping G410 LST 10.5 set -1* Flat Accra TZ5 65 M5

Callaway Epic Flash 15* set -1 Aldila ATX Blue 75TX

Ben Hogan FT Worth Hi 19* KBS Tour V X

Ben Hogan PTX Pro 4-P KBS Tour V X 2* Flat 4* loft increments

Hogan Equalizer 50* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 X 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 56* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

Hogan Equalizer 62* KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 2* Flat

EVNROLL ER7 P2 Aware Tour
Scotty Cameron Newport2 Buttonback P2 Aware Tour Grip
Snell MTB-X

I feel like playing is better then practice anyway. You will get better from 100 rounds then 100 trips to the range in my opinion. Although sometimes getting to the range to work on your weak spots is important.

Until the last couple months I was practicing my putting at least 3 times a week for 20 minutes in my garage. Since stopping that my putting have been putting terrible which has drastically raised my scores. I usually hit the ball well but my chipping it terrible and my putting usually masks that. All that said I have a 0.8 handicap but as I play more and putt better that will move into the + numbers.

I really really need to pull my putting green back out at the house. If I do almost no practicing and just play on the weekends then I'm usually low single digits 0-2.5. However if I do the same but just putt for 5-10min 3 nights per week then I start heading towards .5-+. 

Totally agree about playing. For me the range is for warm up or a swing tweak. Other than that I need to be in the short game area working on chipping, pitch shots and putting. 

I've also resorted to playing the middle tees.I figure since I'm about having fun golfing this set of tees is a good match for me.Also gives me options of hitting a fairway wood or hybrid off the tee besides forcing driver every time.If I start playing more golf in a particular month I will jump back a tee once in a while.But on my off months the middle tees are just fine for me

Yep, hate you guys.

#scratchgolferproblems

I've also resorted to playing the middle tees.I figure since I'm about having fun golfing this set of tees is a good match for me.Also gives me options of hitting a fairway wood or hybrid off the tee besides forcing driver every time.If I start playing more golf in a particular month I will jump back a tee once in a while.But on my off months the middle tees are just fine for me

I don't play the back tees at my course, don't have to, I'm over 55 and frankly it's no fun. The tees that I'm expected to play from are a combo between two sets, when im not playing a lot or when im playing with friends I will skip the combo part and just play the whites. The slope is still over 130 from there so it's not like its a push over. I was looking at my scores when I went to hit balls today, I've played 20 rounds since November 1. The earlier scores are in the low 80's but since I started taking lessons in January I've only had one round in the 80's. Foz and Kenny could testify to how difficult it was that day in the cold and wind.

I shot a 76 with the boys at Foz's course a couple of weeks ago and followed that up with a 78 at my course the next day. I can play reasonable golf when not playing that much so long as I work the short game and hit a few balls now and then. I hit the ball great on the range today, I wish that I could have played.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Blooming.... I moved up to our men's regular tee this past November. I'm 61 now. My course is a par 70. My game hasn't been in that good of shape the past few months with most of my scores being around 78-83. If I'd had recorded those same scores from the Blue (back) tee my handicap would not have risen so much. But, I'm glad I made the decision. I'm also now hitting a 3-4 wood off the tee sometimes or fairway where before they didn't fit in too well.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Yep, hate you guys.

#scratchgolferproblems

I bet it is focusing on the golf swing look versus playing and having fun syndrome.Just go out and enjoy the game,forget cameras and swing analysis units.You will be surprised how much fun golf will be and scores will show it

I bet it is focusing on the golf swing look versus playing and having fun syndrome.Just go out and enjoy the game,forget cameras and swing analysis units.You will be surprised how much fun golf will be and scores will show it

No, but I appreciate your effort at a diagnosis of the syndromes that ail me. I just like to joke around.

I really really need to pull my putting green back out at the house. If I do almost no practicing and just play on the weekends then I'm usually low single digits 0-2.5. However if I do the same but just putt for 5-10min 3 nights per week then I start heading towards .5-+.

Totally agree about playing. For me the range is for warm up or a swing tweak. Other than that I need to be in the short game area working on chipping, pitch shots and putting.

I agree on the putting. I roll putts for half an hour a day every day that I am home.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

I usually play once a week, occasionally I will get an extra round in, I don't do much in he way of full swings on the range because my back is no good, but I do try to practice wedges, and around the green, along with putting when I can, I maintain around 6-7 hcp.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

What counts as Avid and what counts as low handicap?

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

I would say low handicap is 9 or less.And avid would be 3 rounds a week or 20 to 30 rounds a month.Just how i see it,and i used to play this much a decade ago for 20 plus years

On a side note i shot a 42 today with my 2nd round of the year.Not great but not bad either

I was wondering if Avid meant tournament or straight by the rules - thanks for the explanation.  So many of us have day jobs that it's very hard to play a lot of golf.  Even though I'm 59 I still have a freshman in High School around the house so there are plenty of times where I spend time with her rather than playing golf.  When her brothers were younger I would play with them but I was also a pastor at a small church.  In season I would play every Weds, lots of Saturdays and an additional 9 every Sunday afternoon with the boys.

"Get those kids out of the house" was my favorite phrase.

The big question is, "How much better would I be if I had more time to play?"  My back isn't that great.  I can play very well if its one competitive round a week, one range session of about 60 balls and two short game sessions of half an hour or so.  Much more than that and my back really bothers me.

Under the scenario above I can get my handicap index down below 3 pretty much always.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

I guess I'm a low cap then.  Avid is debatable.  On a good week it might be 3 times.  I'm a stay at home dad with 2 boys age 2 & 5.  My wife has Tues off so I can usually play then.  Wed is golf league so I have a sitter in the afternoon.  Then maybe I can sneak out on a weekend.  So good week is 3 or so times golfing.  Bad week would be 1 or none.  Some of those rounds might be more than 18 holes as well.

I'm also in MN so while it might look good to play 1-3 times a week, I have to take 4-6 months off for winter.  Also when I actually get time to go golfing I'm not wasting any of it practicing.  Half the time I don't even get there early enough to use the range.  I've played 6 rounds this season and haven't been to the range once.

If I could spend an hour or two every week with just wedges and putter I'm pretty sure I could drop 2 strokes off my handicap.  With my family life it's just not going to happen though.  Maybe when my boys are older and can come with I'll get the time.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

During an average 7 month season here in Ohio I consider myself fortunate to play twice a week.  Though it doesn't make much sence I usually start the season shooting near par.  As the season progresses I have a tendency to take more risks and I usually shoot up as high as a 7.  Then I battle my way back down to a 5 just before the snow flies.

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I believe that when a golfer reaches the skill level of a low single digit player, that person does not lose that skill even when they don't play frequently.  It's sort of like learning to ride a bicycle... once learned it is never forgotten.  Just limited play or occasional practice is enough to keep that skill sharp enough to break 80 in casual play.   This is probably true for all skill levels.  Skills don't deteriorate quickly and are regained rather quickly even when they have been abandoned for a long period.  I believe this is true for golf and all other endeavors that require a level of skill.

I believe that when a golfer reaches the skill level of a low single digit player, that person does not lose that skill even when they don't play frequently. It's sort of like learning to ride a bicycle... once learned it is never forgotten. Just limited play or occasional practice is enough to keep that skill sharp enough to break 80 in casual play. This is probably true for all skill levels. Skills don't deteriorate quickly and are regained rather quickly even when they have been abandoned for a long period. I believe this is true for golf and all other endeavors that require a level of skill.

I would agree to some level, mainly tee to green. Short game goes quickly if you are not playing. At least for me it does. I am playing 18 tomorrow for the first time in a few weeks and the game plan is to not leave flip wedges when I can. Full shots are my friend when I am not playing a bunch.

WITB 2024

Z Star Diamond

Archived