Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Custom Spider taking shape

golfluvzme

This project came to me from Canada and is slowly taking shape.

I fab'd up a new insert, as the original didn't want to give up the elastomer from the grooves and was not quite clean enough to go back in, as-is. The new insert adds 27 grams to the overall weight, unless I mill out some from the back of the brass billet.

Let me know what you think of the color combo.

I have suggestions to turn the insert to black and match it with the sole plate in black, as well. I have also been told to leave it as is and go for it.

Thoughts?

LaMont in AZ

2010_04280015.jpg

2010_06230041.jpg

2010_07160036.jpg

2010_07160103.jpg

Personally love the look of the new white centre piece! It is probably only a matter of time before Taylormade release a 'Ghost' version of the Spider putters anyway!

I think the insert would look cool being red, black or white. Personally not sure of the gold finish but as with everything regarding putters- very personal.

Nice idea on the whole though :lol: will be interested to see how it turns out in the end!

phil.b89

Love the shaft relocation to a center shaft model. Nice clean work on the spud too. Don't know about the body, looks maybe copper plated? Maybe it's flamed, can't really tell. Still, not sold on the color as it doesn't seem to go with the white that well. I like the new insert, but don't really know what it's made of, brass maybe? Lighting is tricky on this one for me. That said, I think it's look good if the body were polymer white to match the big Y shaped piece, or heck maybe even black to break it up and make the white stand out better(if you do the frame/body black, maybe do white on the piece that goes on the bottom, that's be nasty looking). The insert could stay brass, or if you wanted to get freaky with it, red or something else. Overall, love the work though.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

After reading Rookie's post, I went back and saw all of the details that I left out of my original post.

This one has a white polymer coated main body. The "frame" or skeleton structure has been plated in satin copper, here in Phoenix, by the same guy who does all of my work for SSB putters. It looks very cool in person and I wish that I was a better photographer, for sure.

The insert was one that I shaped from brass billet after I ran into difficulties in cleaning up the original insert. I shaped the perimeter of the insert, then hand milled the face to give the new, coarse milling pattern. The brass is considerably heavier than the aluminum from the original insert, but I can mill out the back of the new insert to achieve any weight that the customer feels good with.

I'll be working to finish this one up, this weekend and early next week, so we should have final decisions on all colors, very soon.

Thanks for the comments,

LaMont in AZ

After reading Rookie's post, I went back and saw all of the details that I left out of my original post.

This one has a white polymer coated main body. The "frame" or skeleton structure has been plated in satin copper, here in Phoenix, by the same guy who does all of my work for SSB putters. It looks very cool in person and I wish that I was a better photographer, for sure.

The insert was one that I shaped from brass billet after I ran into difficulties in cleaning up the original insert. I shaped the perimeter of the insert, then hand milled the face to give the new, coarse milling pattern. The brass is considerably heavier than the aluminum from the original insert, but I can mill out the back of the new insert to achieve any weight that the customer feels good with.

I'll be working to finish this one up, this weekend and early next week, so we should have final decisions on all colors, very soon.

Thanks for the comments,

LaMont in AZ

Yeah, the only thing I'd do is polymer the plate that goes in the bottom white and paintfill it. The insert, if you wanted to get kinky with it, could be plated in the same satin copper to make it flow better, but the problem is how well does brass plate? I'd think horribly, so it'd have to be something else like Steel, which would add to the weight. Maybe polymer the insert white to match the flow? Don't know. The brass against the copper might look funny, but the end product could be beautiful. Hard to tell without it installed and the bead of elastomer around it.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I had hoped to get this one buttoned up and shipped home to Canada, last weekend, but it didn't happen. Here are some new pictures of how she looks, right now. I'll be reassembling the bad rascal and getting the badges done up, this weekend.

I like the black contrasting with the copper, a little better than the split metal face and body. What do you think?

Thanks,

LaMont in AZ

2010_07210018.jpg

2010_07210017.jpg

2010_07210014.jpg

It looks awesome LaMont! I'm gaming an itsy bitsy right now and hate the looks of it. This has given me some ideas. :lol:

•Never argue with an idiot. First, he will drag you down to his level. Then he will beat you with experience!•

Archived