Greg's Norman's Secret Plan to Disrupt Golf

The Dansome

• SPY VIP

What does Greg have up his sleeve?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/greg-norman-secret-plan-disrupt-175136135.html

c) 2016 Time Inc. Greg Norman on His Mega-Business, the State of Golf and His Incredible 1986 Season Greg Norman joins GOLF LIVE to talk about the state of the PGA Tour, becoming a business mogul, and to reminisce about his historic 1986 season.Greg Norman has long been a major figure in the game of golf. On the course, the Great White Shark captured two major victories (and a handful of heartbreaking near-misses) while sitting at No. 1 in the World Golf Rankings for 331 weeks, second only to Tiger Woods.

But Norman's off-course activities have arguably had a bigger influence on the game, including his prolific golf course design company and his many business ventures in and around the game.

But now, the Australian golf legend is planning something even bigger. Norman is inviting media members to a summit in mid-2017 to announce his newest and perhaps greatest venture, one that is shrouded in secrecy.

"In the middle second quarter of next year, I'll invite you guys down to my office. We will tell you exactly how we're going to break this cast iron that's been wrapped around golf for so long. We're going to shatter it. The institutions (USGA, R&A, PGA of America, PGA Tour) will eventually buy into it because they will have to buy into it. They won't have a choice," Norman told reporters last month at the unveiling of his latest design, the Greg Norman Signature Course at Vidanta Neuvo Vallarta, Mexico.

Greg Norman Thinks Donald Trump Will Succeed as President

As reported by Rick Young for scoregolf.com, the venture will involve Verizon, with whom the golfer signed an eight-year deal with recently.

Details are thin, so we will all be waiting patiently to see what Norman has in store to disrupt the golf world in 2017.

Yo #JustPlayBetter

Follow @GolfSpyMBP

• SPY VIP

Is it...

New Coke?

XFL?

Crystal Pepsi?

The Mullet?

PokeGolf?

Bottomless Golfâ„¢

Feel The Breeze Between Your Knees

Roo scrotum valuable pouches?

roosack.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

I heard he has a team golf league concept. I like watching golf so will watch if it's televised, but I'm not sure it's anything that could be ground breaking, mainly because I don't see how he could attract the best and most famous names away from their tour schedules.

More power to him, but seems more like something motivated out of spite than anything else.

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

Given the news of the last day, what if he starts his own rules/governing body? Hell, the only reason the USGA has the power it has is because everyone agrees they should have it.

What if there was a serious alternative?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

I'm guessing it's a combo of Spartan Races and golf, called Tartan!  You will play varying lengths of courses, from "Sprint" 18s, "Super" 36s, "Beastly" 54s or Ultra Beast 72 holes with only 3 clubs,  one of which must be a driver. you will have to shoot  over pits of fire, through mud traps, crawl through tunnels and over natural obstacles like fallen trees and plateaus, and scale severe crevices and small mountains alike to reach the greens. 

You must also drink Greg Norman Estate wine at the aid stations, while wearing Greg Norman clothing and his signature straw hat during the competition.

Good luck

What's in my  :cleveland-small: bag:

Driver :  :cobra-small: F9 10.5, Fujikura Speeder 757 TR 

Fairway  :cobra-small: F9 15.5° Aldila Rogue White 80X

Hybrid:  :cobra-small: King F7 18° KBS Tour PROTO Hybrid 95 S+

Irons:   :srixon-small: z585 4i - 6i,  z785 7i-PW, Nippon Modus 120X

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: CBX  50.11, 55.11, 60.10  TT DG S400 Black

Putter:  post-53756-150768041262.jpg Honey Badger 34" 

Ball:  :srixon-small: Q-Star Tour

Given the news of the last day, what if he starts his own rules/governing body? Hell, the only reason the USGA has the power it has is because everyone agrees they should have it.

What if there was a serious alternative?

Interesting possibility.

I anticipate the USGA and R&A merging into a global rules body.  The USGA's move to exclude solo rounds seemed like a way to make for a smoother transition since I think only tournament rounds are considered for your handi with the R&A.  

Whether or not this happens, how would Norman be able to create enough leverage to rival either governing body?  Even if he could, how would it be an attractive alternative?  

WIT  :titelist-small: Sta Dry Bag:

Driver:       :taylormade-small: '17 M2

Woods:     :taylormade-small: M2 3W and 5W

Hybrids:   :callaway-logo-1: Apex 3h and 5h  

Irons:          :mizuno-small:   MP 18 MMC

Wedges:   :callaway-logo-1: MD PM Grind, 56* and 60*

Putter:      :scotty-cameron-1: California Sonoma

I can't even phantom a guess. But he sure sounds like Donald Trump. Ha

Will be interesting to see what he has in store.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Interesting possibility.

I anticipate the USGA and R&A merging into a global rules body.  The USGA's move to exclude solo rounds seemed like a way to make for a smoother transition since I think only tournament rounds are considered for your handi with the R&A.  

Whether or not this happens, how would Norman be able to create enough leverage to rival either governing body?  Even if he could, how would it be an attractive alternative?  

Not really sure, but the USGA has authority over the game only because the Tour, equipment manufacturers and the PGA of America agree to it. That's all any governing body is - a consensus agreement.  Moses didn't come down from the Mount saying the USGA is that it is.  Norman might have the juice, and the money, to at least try.  Seriously doubt that's what it is, but it would sure be fun to watch...

What's in the bag:

Driver:  :titelist-small:TSR3; :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR Carbon
FW Wood: :wilson_staff_small: DynaPWR 3-wood; :titleist-small: TSR 2+
Hybrids:  PXG Gen4 18-degree
Utility Irons: :srixon-small: ZX MkII 20* 
Irons:;  :Sub70:699/699 Pro V2 Combo; :wilson_staff_small: D9 Forged;  :macgregor-small:MT86 (coming soon!); :macgregor-small: VIP 1025 V-Foil MB/CB; 

Wedges:  :cleveland-small: RTX6 Zipcore
Putter: :cleveland-small: HB Soft Milled 10.5;  :scotty-small: Newport Special Select;  :edel-golf-1:  Willamette,  :bettinardi-small: BB8; :wilson-small: 8802; MATI Monto

Ball: :bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS; :srixon-small: Z-STAR Diamond; :wilson_staff_small: Triad

Stat Tracker/GPS Watch: :ShotScope:

Follow @golfspybarbajo

Is it...

New Coke?

XFL?

Crystal Pepsi?

The Mullet?

PokeGolf?

Bottomless Golfâ„¢

Feel The Breeze Between Your Knees

attachicon.gifroosack.jpg

Oh I hope it's XFL. I really did enjoy those games and the tailgating was top notch.

#HeHateMe

Sent using the MGS app!

@bigtazzGOLF on Twitter

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

attachicon.gifroosack.jpg

Well...we have one of those hanging from our kitchen dining light. :D

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

Norman has always understood that his primary product is his persona. His agent started the world rankings devising a formula that allowed him to dominate them during his playing career. Looking back on the era Norman was the 3rd or 4th best player. Ballesteros and Faldo were better players with more world wide wins. Norman is in the group with Price and Langer.

When it comes to business he's tops. Clothing, course design, wines, he's done a great job.

He has the potential to shake things up by appealing to everyday golfers.

I will look forward to seeing what he has in mind.

Sent from my VS986 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  R flex   - 44.25 

Fairways:  Ping G410 5, 7, 9 wood  Alta CB red 65 R flex

Hybrid:  Ping G410  26 degree  Alta CB Red 70 R flex 

Irons: Ping G430  7-PW, 45, 50 Alta CB black 65 soft R flex 

Wedges:  Ping 195 S54, E58

Wedges and irons are - 1/2” and one degree flat 

Putter: Sacks Parente Duke 32.5”

Ball: Titleist Pro VI or Callaway Chrome Soft X ls

While not at the same time I was fit for every club in my bag as well as the Pro VI ball. I use the chrome soft x ls on my league course.  It has much softer softer greens than the club that I belong to. 

I’m on a mission to shoot my age - lifetime lowest round is 66 and I’m currently 67. 

I can't even phantom a guess. But he sure sounds like Donald Trump. Ha

Will be interesting to see what he has in store.

I couldn't help but think the same thing as I was reading his comments.  

Taking a page out of the Trump playbook to "make golf great again"?   :lol:

He might be thinking that the timing is right with the merging of USGA and R&A ruling bodies to resurrect his "World Tour" program that he wanted to do years ago.  What's interesting to me is that he was fired from Fox Sports after his dismal attempt at commentating, and now he is partnering with Verizon.  So, I suspect that he has some idea to promote a combination of PGA Tour, USGA, European, Australian, Asian, S. African(?) tours into a World Tour with television or internet broadcasting.

Of course, it may be a ploy to sell more wine.   :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

He might be thinking that the timing is right with the merging of USGA and R&A ruling bodies to resurrect his "World Tour" program that he wanted to do years ago.  What's interesting to me is that he was fired from Fox Sports after his dismal attempt at commentating, and now he is partnering with Verizon.  So, I suspect that he has some idea to promote a combination of PGA Tour, USGA, European, Australian, Asian, S. African(?) tours into a World Tour with television or internet broadcasting.

Of course, it may be a ploy to sell more wine.   :)

My thoughts exactly. 

Naturally, the prize money on offer would be the attraction to the players and the rest would all follow suit. It seems to be a formula that has worked for a number of sports that work across multiple countries. The only real flaw is the traditional reluctance for US golfers to travel too far from their own back yard, but this is less of a problem when US golfers no longer dominate the golf rankings.

If he's planning on resurrecting his effort for a world tour, he will need to have "his ducks in a row", not to mention corporate sponsors with deep pockets.   Of the four majors, only one, the Masters, is not affiliated with either the USGA, the R&A or the PGA.   Plus I'm not sure how a renewed effort for a world tour would shake up these organizations.  

The bottom line is that I have no idea what he may be planning, but it is sure going to be interesting and maybe even entertaining. 

I've never liked mystery deals that might take place months and months from now. Just spit it out. What's the point in even talking about it? Buzz? Meh.

If anything I'd hope it would be a deal of some kind for amateur golf and not the freaking pros. But it probably isn't. I'm dreaming.

I'm in a grumpy mood today and not feeling the love for tour pros. How bout some power to the Amateurs for a change? Guys like us. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm in a grumpy mood today and not feeling the love for tour pros. How bout some power to the Amateurs for a change? Guys like us. 

No birdies today huh?   :)

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I am thinking amateur golf tour with relaxed rules to appeal to the everyday golfer.   If successful,  the expectation would be for the ruling bodies to take note and create two sets of rules one for pros and one for amateurs.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I am thinking amateur golf tour with relaxed rules to appeal to the everyday golfer. If successful, the expectation would be for the ruling bodies to take note and create two sets of rules one for pros and one for amateurs.

I like the way you think!

All I have to say is Greg Norman likes secrets

51s6FYAz1zL._SX425_PIcountsize-25,TopRig

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Paradym AI Smoke Max HL  16.5* w/MCA TENSEI AV Series Blue
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   more-golf-logo.png Render w/VA Composites Baddazz 

Backup Putters:  Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe,  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

On the topic of the USGA and R&A, it would not be hard to come up with rules that would govern the recreational golfer.  I feel there should be 2 sets of rules anyway and 2 styles of handicapping.  One for Elite golfers, or competitive golfers and one for everyday golfers.  These rules would not vary much, but just enough to make the rounds faster and more enjoyable.  We all know we need to grow this game, and having a recreational set of rules would do so.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

• 4 months later...

Driver - Tour Edge Exotics XCG 7 Beta w/ Paderson shaft 44"

Fairway Metal - :nike-small: Vapor Fly 15* w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 65F 43"

Irons - :taylormade-small: SLDR 4i-pw w/ KBS Tour C-Taper 90S

Wedges - :edel-golf-1: 54* and 58* Digger grind

Putter - :scotty-cameron-1: 2015 GoLo 3 33"

• 1 month later...

So I guess the Playsight technology and a partnership with Verizon is the BIG news that Norman announced late last year. I guess this is a training and sport performance system using HD cameras, etc. to help a player develop. I took a quick look at the Playsight website and that's my takeaway. At this time Golf isn't mentioned that I could tell. I'm not sure how this will transfer to a golf course either.

Maybe some of you hackers smart guys will be able to unravel this thing.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

Interesting that nobody has any info or comments regarding Greg's BIG announcement & partnership. Some of you hackers smart guys help us out if you can.

Archived