Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Callaway EPIC irons

chershey

I spoke with a guy yesterday that got to try the new EPIC pro version of the irons from a Callaway rep. He currently plays the Apex Pro 16 irons so he was comparing them against those. From the top line he said they looked pretty similar with very little offset and the same thin topline. The feel was right there with his Apex Pro's. I forgot to ask him if they were forged or not but I don't think they are. The one thing about them is that they were long, really long in his words. He said the lofts were similar to the Apex CF16 irons (31 degree 7 iron), but they seemed to play longer than that. Overall, he was really impressed until he heard the price. They are charging $250 an iron but they supposedly have a ton of tungsten, I think there are bars, cooked into the head and the process they use takes several days and is fairly expensive. I imagine the market for these will be similar to those looking at the PXG irons. I know I refuse to pay that much for an iron! (He says as he starts thinking about all the old golf equipment in his garage he could sell to fund this purchase :) )

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Form the pics that have popped up on different sites I thought for sure the Epic Pros would still be larger then the Apex Pro

In my bag:

Driver: :callaway-logo-1: Rogue ST Triple Diamond LS 10.5* (set to 9.5) UST Lin-Q Gunmetal 6f5

Wood: :titleist-small: Tsi2 15* Project X RDX Black 70 6.5

Hybrids: :cobra-small: King Utility 19.5* Diamana Tensei White Pro 90TX

Irons: :cobra-small: Cobra King Tour MIM 4-PW Dynamic Gold 120 X100

Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 3 50*, 54*, 58* Tour Issue S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Nashville Z1C 34"

Ball: :titleist-small:  Pro V1x

Form the pics that have popped up on different sites I thought for sure the Epic Pros would still be larger then the Apex Pro

Once you put them side by side, they may be slightly larger. I don't think he had his irons with him to compare. He was just basing it one how they looked when the rep brought them in.

Titleist TS3 9.5* w/Accra TZ5 65 X-Stiff
Titleist TS3 15* w/Fujikura Ventus 7X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 20* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Callaway Apex19 Hybrid 23* w/Accra TZ5 95X
Titleist 718 CB 5 iron w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist 718 MB 6-PW w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Titleist SM7 Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* w/KBS $Taper X-Stiff
Bettinardi Queen B 10 34.5"
Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-X

Interesting. Makes sense that manufacturers are going to try and have an offering to complete with PXG, I bet we see some offerings from others in the near future as well. It will be interesting to see how each company approaches it. Srixon, with XXIO, has followed the car model for branding of having a flagship brand and a luxury brand. Titleist and Callaway seem to be keeping the same branding for both lines--probably makes sense given tour marketing investment. Bridgestone seems to be moving to all premium.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:cleveland-small: Launcher HB Driver 10.5* | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 5W | :cleveland-small: Launcher HB 3H and 4H | :cleveland-small: Launcher CBX Irons 5-PW | :cleveland-small: CBX Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* | :cleveland-small: TFI 2135 Cero Putter | :srixon-small: Q Star Balls

That's quite a price point. But folks will spend the $$$$ if they perform... And Callaway has been pretty darn good lately.....

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink:

Archived