Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best Major of the year?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

That sounds like a great thread title to me. I can see that discussion taking up some major pages.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

Aren't you recording? It's an Augusta like back nine.

This also demonstrates the genius and weakness of the Masters. The weak, limited field insures that more big names will be in the mix but clearly it eliminates guys that have very reasonable chances to win.

I cannot record anything cable is crazy without it. And JT with his first major the 2011 is something special. Hedeki is feeling the weight of a whole country I think once he brushes that feeling off he will win a major. Man I wish I had a way to record it. I'm glad there is a replay on later.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Shankster enjoyed it???? You know it was good them. Sorry shankster I had to say something.

I was thinking the same thing!

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     

That sounds like a great thread title to me. I can see that discussion taking up some major pages.

Be my guest.

Say no more fam

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/index.php?/topic/20836-Best-Major-of-2017%3F

Glad ya'll missed me.

Definitely!!

Rick

Left Hand, 

I enjoy your posts I always chime in because they are entertaining. You stand by your opinions all the time.

Yea the Shankster is part of the family and needs to keep his arse around these parts

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I suppose. Just for you though OG.

Sent from a Pasty... with Gravy.

Atta boy besides there are a boat load of folks in here that enjoy the Shankster's threads.  

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Shankster starts some great threads and posts the most interesting videos - no doubt.

Back to Matsuyama I'm not buying the weight of the country thing. Much like Phil for the first half of his career he needs to elevate his putting from terrible to average. If he can just get it to average he will win a number of majors.

I used to barf every time a TV announcer was surprised at Phil missing a short putt under pressure. To me the surprise was that he made it when he did. Once he got that putting to upper half the Majors started to flow in.

Thomas had a chip in and made a birdie on the last three holes. That's something the other leaders didn't do down the stretch.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Same for Rory. He is one of the best players tee to green but his putting is horrible. He gets streaky but his putting stroke doesn't hold up to pressure.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Same for Rory. He is one of the best players tee to green but his putting is horrible. He gets streaky but his putting stroke doesn't hold up to pressure.

Some would say his full swing doesn't necessarily hold up to pressure either.

RE: Putting, yup! I think this is the difference between Jordan Speech and the other young guns on tour. Speech may not have the power off the tee but he drops bombs on the green.

Driver:  :ping-small:  G 10.5* W/Tour Stiff 65g Ping Shaft   

Fairway Woods:  :cobra-small:  Cobra F6 13.5*, F6 Baffler 16*  

Irons: Split Set-  :ping-small: i200 3i - 7i ,  :benhogan-small: Ft Worth 15s, 8 (36), 9 (40), PW (44) 

Wedges: :benhogan-small:  TK, 52* & 56*

Putter:  :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin 

Bag:  :ping-small: Hoofer 5way

Balls:  :taylormade-small: TP5/X

The crowds were crazy from 14 through to 18, getting over to 16 and 17 was nearly impossible. We followed Reed and Deleat from 1-14, but the crowds were so massive at that point we stayed at 14 green until JT and Hideki came through, watched them tee 15, then walked all the way around, so them putt out on 15 then went to 16 tee, again the crowd was massive at this point you could hardly move anywhere. We stood just off the tee on 16 and watched them hit, it was impossible to walk 16 and then 17, so we walked over to 18 green, and we'll you saw the crowd there, we stood to the back right of the green between the scoreboard and the grand stand, it's good to be tall, they also had a huge screen to watch 16 and 17, so we didn't miss any action. The scene at 18 was incredible, when Louis made that long birdie peope went crazy. It was a great time, and a great finish for sure. It was good to see JT break through, I was kind of shocked at Hideki's collapse on 11,12,13 as he as been so solid.

If you ever get a chance to go see a major championship, do it. I've been to the Wells Fargo championship out there a couple of times, and this blew that out of the water. Good fun great golf. Exciting times.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

The crowds were crazy from 14 through to 18, getting over to 16 and 17 was nearly impossible. We followed Reed and Deleat from 1-14, but the crowds were so massive at that point we stayed at 14 green until JT and Hideki came through, watched them tee 15, then walked all the way around, so them putt out on 15 then went to 16 tee, again the crowd was massive at this point you could hardly move anywhere. We stood just off the tee on 16 and watched them hit, it was impossible to walk 16 and then 17, so we walked over to 18 green, and we'll you saw the crowd there, we stood to the back right of the green between the scoreboard and the grand stand, it's good to be tall, they also had a huge screen to watch 16 and 17, so we didn't miss any action. The scene at 18 was incredible, when Louis made that long birdie peope went crazy. It was a great time, and a great finish for sure. It was good to see JT break through, I was kind of shocked at Hideki's collapse on 11,12,13 as he as been so solid.

If you ever get a chance to go see a major championship, do it. I've been to the Wells Fargo championship out there a couple of times, and this blew that out of the water. Good fun great golf. Exciting times.

Great write up and happy you had a great time. I have been lucky enough to attend 12 majors over the years and I'll repeat what u said, if you can, go. Regular tournaments are good that's for sure but Majors have an electric feeling when they reach the back 9 on Sunday.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I thought is was good to see, Speith and Fowler stick around to congratulate their bud.   While Rickie is slightly older,  I enjoy and appreciate what has been labelled "the Class of 2011" and their friendships.  I look forward to their play in the future, a future in good hands. 

I think the thick rough at the course seemed more like a us open then the us open was.

Kinda funny watching the angst with the nasty Bermuda rough. We deal with it on a daily basis. Maybe not as deep but just as narly.

With all the rain in Florida right now our greenkeepers are scrambling to keep up with the maintenance.

Rick

Left Hand, 

I think the thick rough at the course seemed more like a us open then the us open was.

He rough wasn't really a deep as it seemed, but the Bermuda can get very thick in places, and when the ball goes to the bottom it can get really nasty and difficult to chop out. You have to be very good at reading what type of lie it is, and make he best judgment of how the ball will react coming out, usually when it's that deep it's kind of a knuckleball coming out so you have to play for that, but sometimes it jumps, and if you aren't prepared for that, it's not good.

Most of the courses I play have Bermuda. Either the ball sits on top and you risk going right under the ball or it sinks to the bottom is barely visible and difficult to actually make solid contact. It doesn't even have to be deep; can be nasty even if it is ball depth.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

One thing I will say about watching these guys in person is how incredibly long everyone of them hit it, I play Saturdays with some guys who can hit as long as some of the tour guys, but when you see the power of Rham, DJ, Even Speith, Reed, Deleat, matsuayma, JT, Jim Herman. It is incredible, the guys I play with probably hot it around the tour average. Rham, JT, Matsuyama, DJ I'm telling you they play a different game than the others. The other guys hit it long, Rham was miles past the average guys, and the average guys are long, Rham was 40-50 yards longer than where Reed was hitting, that kid can pound the ball. When you see how far these holes are, then watch them hit a wedge, craziness.

Most of the courses I play have Bermuda. Either the ball sits on top and you risk going right under the ball or it sinks to the bottom is barely visible and difficult to actually make solid contact. It doesn't even have to be deep; can be nasty even if it is ball depth.

I grew up in the North but have lived in the South for about 12 years. This comment about Bermuda is so true. You have to learn to read lies through the course not just around the green. Sometimes you can get into the grain in the fairway where it's tough.

I honestly though the rough height was perfect for the PGA, enough to be a penalty but not so much that they would try to hit it on the green. That play where Justin Thomas intentionally hit it in the bunker on 16 was brilliant. He took flyer out of the equation.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Kinda funny watching the angst with the nasty Bermuda rough. We deal with it on a daily basis. Maybe not as deep but just as narly.

With all the rain in Florida right now our greenkeepers are scrambling to keep up with the maintenance.

True, and it is not as deep and narly as this hybrid bermuda used in the rough at the PGA because that grass had no business being there. There are many others that dont bunch up and ball up when the heat and humidity is on and they are in their prime growing conditions. Did a Fazio in my day and many build a course that 1st; they themselves cant play or putt. And second; plant and grow grass that is not designned for what it is used for. 328, champion, and tifgreen are all of the Tifton Georgia hybrid family and are still the best bermuda greens out there. And it has gotten a bit redic from there with hybrid rough varieties and no one with any sense (but maybe plenty of $$$) would put these or this type of grass in the rough. Ive tried them all so when I saw the paly from it it was no surprise. Common bermuda is still the best rough of its kind as it wont do what this hybrid did which is turn into over-saturated bubble wrap...

The Pro's and many a good super know this.

The rest is noise and those who dont come up on bermuda will have some challenges, but a week spent on it and the best manage it quite nicely IF it is not some ill advised turf to begin with. And the truth is the matt that would not take the water is another part and parcel of a hybrid bermuda turf that was not managed right.

Sure its all 'playable', but why?

Spieth was spot on in a polite way when he spoke up about mud.

And being from Texas this is no mystery to him, either.

Any angst the PGA got or gets is well deserved.

While JT managed it and the greens that almost got away from them with perfection.

Archived