Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

How do you learn?

cnosil

Figured it would be an interesting question related to golf. Many times on golf forums I often see people comment that people are overthinking. Now I agree than there may be a lot of overthinking when you are actually playing but generally questions are asked so people can learn. So the question is how do you learn? Do you want to know the details, do you just want to watch someone else and you mimic, or do you just try to do it via trial and error until you figure something out and get the results you want. Do you do things differently in normal life or do you approach golf differently?

I am the type of person that wants to understand the mechanics of what I am doing. I want to see my swing on video and want to understand why I am supposed to do certain things and what happens if I don't.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I'm a visual type of person. Show me what I need to do, explain why and off I go.

In the bag:
Driver:cobra-small: Darkspeed X 9°  UST Mamiya LIN-Q M40X Blue 7F4
Fairway: :callaway-logo-1: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:callaway-logo-1: Fairway 14 stand bag
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Tour

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Starting back in the early spring of 2015 I started taking lessons/coaching. Over the preceding years my game had steadily been going south with my scores and handicap increasing upward. The very first day we met I said that I didn't want to rebuild my swing. I was only looking to improve my game and work with what I have. In other words; I didn't want him to try and turn me into Adam Scott. (which would be impossible anyway) At the time I had just turned 60. But, I also knew I had more of a game than what I'd been playing to. I'd just gotten lazy and sloppy. I'd also let bad habits become ingrained. It all added up to not playing well and becoming frustrated. I decided I needed professional help if things were ever going to improve.

I'm a visual learner and like to be spoon fed in small bites. And that's exactly what my instructor did. I recall even telling him that I only wanted one or two things to work on each time and we'd build upon that going forward. Again, he said "fine... let's get to work." And so we did. Many times I'd have my instructor hit some shots so I could just watch the move he's asking of me. Then I'd step back in and have him watch as I tried to emulate his suggestion. After each session my instructor would summarize our work for the day on an index card and hand it to me so I could refer back when I was out practicing. I still have each card in a scorecard holder and refer back to them occasionally. Fast forward two years and my game has improved quite noticeably to me and everyone else I play with regularly. It's a great feeling. Yes, it cost some money and yes it was worth it. Certainly more than buying any new equipment hoping that would do the trick. Chasing new equipment wouldn't have gotten me to where I am today. And BTW.... I've gone from 6-8 hcp to a 4-5 hcp. As many of you know the lower you go the harder it gets. Can I go lower still and perhaps play to a 2-3 hcp or even get to scratch this next year? Maybe a 2-4 perhaps. I'll be 63 in February and father time is tugging at me.

I have seen and heard of too many people getting their heads crammed with all types of instruction in each session to the point where they are worse off and "brain-locked". I actually fault the instructor for doing this. It's like they have to prove to the student that they're getting a lot of instruction for their dollar. To me that truly is a lot of baloney. 

I recommend taking small bites and being patient with your progress. It doesn't happen overnight. I also recommend Freeing Your Mind by not getting all bogged down in a all the minute details of your instruction or your equipment. 

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

I'm at a different point in my game right now than where I was 2 years ago and hopefully 2 years from now. At 46 I'm not as young as before and my body is showing signs of wear and tear especially from 10 years of trials and errors from mountain biking. Instructions from pros are not as frequent and more of maintenance than work for a perfect swing. It's too late for me now, but if needed in a few years when my daughter is old enough to play we can both learn together.

As for learning, each year or so I'd find a goal to eliminate some of my weakness two years ago was Phil' Hinge'n'Hold, last year was mental side of the game and this year so far has be only practice short putts. Now I'm back to play 3-4 rounds a week at my club and I gotta find something to do to keep the game fresh.

I usually take the most obvious route of positive repetitions and repeat success to heart it's the easiest and the longest route but most effective in the long run. It took me 18 months to put a driver in my bag by just start hitting 5 woods til it hit min 10 fairways 10 consecutive rounds then move up to 4 wood then 3 wood then 2 wood. I've not miss more than 3 fairways per round since I put a driver in my bag. After 11 years hiatus my first round back I hit all 14 fairways. It's the one aspect of my game that I paid the due and enjoying the benefits of the hard work.

I have not been back to my pro for 9 months now as I'm still enjoying the low consistence scores and calm attitude on the course. If it's not broken why try your luck fixing it. Sure I have much to improve but I can take a bite size fix on my own. As long as I make progress my take would be it's not the color of the cat that catches mice.

I got liquored up, bought a set of clubs, and asked where the nearest golf course was.  It's all history from there..  I'm self taught and that's probably why I'm so effed up when it comes to golf.  I still love it and play a decent game now and then.

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

I got liquored up, bought a set of clubs, and asked where the nearest golf course was.  It's all history from there..  I'm self taught and that's probably why I'm so effed up when it comes to golf.  I still love it and play a decent game now and then.

I'm pretty sure we are related somehow. :D

I'm pretty sure we are related somehow. :D

Absolutely ;) 

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

In golf and everyday life I'm a trial and error kind of guy. I just keep hacking until I figure something out. Just because something works for one doesn't mean it will work for me.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

CobraConnectChallenge3

I'm the type of person who likes to know exactly how something works, I've helped rebuild an engine, I started taking computers apart when I was 10, etc. In terms of golf, I don't want to know what the perfect swing looks like and try to copy it, but I want to know why the result of my swing was x, y, or z. I make my girlfriend record me at the range when she tags along, and I watch my movements. Then, whatever issues I'm having at the time, I'll look on YouTube to see what I can possibly implement to help me. I really want a swing coach though, but don't quite have the disposable income for that, my club ho-ing, and actually practicing/playing.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max LS Tensei AV Blue S

3w/5w: :titelist-small: TSi2 Tensei AV Raw Blue S

4h: :mizuno-small: CLK 22* Hybrid Tensei CK Pro Blue 80HY S

Irons 5-PW: :mizuno-small: 223 Steelfiber PR 95 S

Wedges: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 50, 54, 58 Steelfiber PR 105

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: :srixon-small: Z-Star Diamond

A lot like Cnosil. I learn best from watching myself on video (once I get done puking) I focus on one thing at a time possibly two if one is a simple fix. I ve been struggling the last year to find the right instructor.

That is one of my goals over the winter.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

I want to know all the mechanics.  Tell me what to do and show me what happens if I do it incorrectly.  Show me some drills to do to help me do the correct thing.  The more I know about the golf swing and what makes it work, the better I can play. 

In my bag:

Callaway Epic Subzero with Aldila Rogue Max 75 Stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue Subzero with Project X Evenflow 6.0 75g stiff shaft

Callaway Rogue 3 Hybrid with Aldila Synergy 60 HYB stiff shaft

Callaway Apex irons (4-PW) with True Temper XP 95 stiff shafts

Callaway MD3 wedges (50/54/58)

SeeMore Original FGP

Bridgestone Tour B RX

I learn....slowly with a touch of stubborn.  I am fortunate enough to frequently play with a pro, and several other talented and observant players who know my swing and can advise me on my misses.  However just taking their word for it isn't exactly my style.  Apparently I like to struggle until I figure it out myself.  

:ping-small: S57 DG S300 stiff

:taylormade-small:  M1 430 8.5 Matrix Black Tie 

:ping-small:  Tour Wedges stiff

:taylormade-small:  SLDR 16* mini driver Fuji Speeder stiff

:taylormade-small: SLDR 21* hybrid Fuji Speeder stiff

:cameron-small: Futura  Superstroke mid slim 2.0

:taylormade-small:  project (a) #7's

I was self taught but have had three teachers as an adult. I am definitely a visual learner. I do well with video as well as visualizing my swing, shots, results, etc.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

The problem for me is that I'm a lefty, so it's difficult for someone to show me what to do, because it's all reversed. So, I'm a trial and error kind of guy. I started about 3 years ago and self taught my swing through books, YouTube, and videos of my swing.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

Unfortunately, for me, sometimes it seems that I never learn.   While I understand the importance of "hand/eye" coordination, it seems my failure to learn centers on "brain/body" coordination.   My brain will absorb instructions, but when it tries to send those instructions to the body, the body just responds, "I ain't listening, I will just do what I want."

Unfortunately, for me, sometimes it seems that I never learn. While I understand the importance of "hand/eye" coordination, it seems my failure to learn centers on "brain/body" coordination. My brain will absorb instructions, but when it tries to send those instructions to the body, the body just responds, "I ain't listening, I will just do what I want."

I feel ya, man. I always tell myself the golf swing seems so simple, this is all you have to do. Unfortunately, I still haven't figured it out.

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

The problem for me is that I'm a lefty, so it's difficult for someone to show me what to do, because it's all reversed. So, I'm a trial and error kind of guy. I started about 3 years ago and self taught my swing through books, YouTube, and videos of my swing.

I feel the same way about instruction. Trial and error is the way to go, it helps to figure it out on the fly as well.

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I'm with you. As a lefty it's more difficult to get the right instruction/videos. I did find one site that is intended for lefties however, I'm not able to access it on the range. Oh an as a FYI I'm a tactile learner I learn best by doing it vs hearing

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

My nephew is a lefty, and he finds it easier to learn by standing face-on to the instructor (or me or Bapa)... He's also 10, so maybe easier to absorb info and convert it to motion.

WITB: 

Adams 9064LS 9.5* (until I cracked the face)

Adams Super LS 17*

Adams XTD Ti 23*

Wilson Staff Ci7 4-PW

Adams wedges: 52/7 56/13 60/7

Wilson Staff Infinite Southside putter/Odyssey DualForce 660 putter

I'm with you. As a lefty it's more difficult to get the right instruction/videos. I did find one site that is intended for lefties however, I'm not able to access it on the range. Oh an as a FYI I'm a tactile learner I learn best by doing it vs hearing
My nephew is a lefty, and he finds it easier to learn by standing face-on to the instructor (or me or Bapa)... He's also 10, so maybe easier to absorb info and convert it to motion.

There's definitely something to be gained from the mirroring approach. When I give pitching lessons to righties, I do a pseudo-lefty motion so they can easily follow me step by step. When I get lefties, it's a piece of cake. With all three weight shifting required, it really helps them to go slowly with me if they can follow exactly.

I dunno if anyone here ever does those workout videos like T25 or P90x, but you'll find yourselves mirroring the movements naturally. When the coach is doing something with the right leg, it's natural to do it with the left even if he's saying "right leg" because you're facing him right on and mocking his movements.

Sent from carrier pigeon using MyGolfSpy

In my ATumSBM.jpg Pisa, riding on a hXf3ptG.jpg 3.5+

:ping-small: G410+
:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 5W
:cobra-small: King F7 Hy

:ping-small: i500 5-GW
wxW5hk4.jpg Equalizer 56/60
:ping-small: Heppler Ketsch

I need to feel it. Video, images do me no good. What I feel versus what is actually happening are very very different.

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

I must be an exception -- I've got a wide range of golf shirts and shorts (I also admit to 1 white belt - not worn very often ). But then when I was working I had a lot of different shirts/suits etc. I guess different strokes........

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I must be an exception -- I've got a wide range of golf shirts and shorts (I also admit to 1 white belt - not worn very often ). But then when I was working I had a lot of different shirts/suits etc. I guess different strokes........

I think you wanted to post this in another thread 😛

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I think you wanted to post this in another thread

Sent from my E6853 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Haha I was wondering what happened to this message.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

i don't.  

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

I am the trial and error type. I will try somethings. If they do not work I move on. My swing has not changed much over the years and I hopefully have no plans to change it.

Driver: Callaway Rogue 9*

FW: Sub 70 Pro 4 wood

Hybrid: Sub 70 949 Hybrid 19*

Irons:  Sub 70 

659 CB 4 - 6 Black

639 MB 7 - PW

Wedges: Sub 70

JB - 50* 54* & 60*

Putter: Odyssey White Hot #2
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1x
Handicap index:  +3.9

Instagram: joshandersongolf

Twitter: @jacustomgolf

As lots of others have said, trial and error. If I start doing something wrong, I usually know what it is right away and I can make the correction.

Sent from my SM-T580 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

2017  :taylormade-small: M1 460, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0

:mizuno-small: JPX EZ 3 wood
:cobra-small: Fly-Z 4H
:mizuno-small: MP-60, 3i-PW, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:mizuno-small: S5 54° & 58°, True Temper Dynamic Gold
:cameron-small: California Monterey
:titelist-small: Pro V1x

Archived