joen

Line On Your Golf Ball?

Does anyone draw a line on their golf ball?  I know some people claim it doesn’t help, but I personally find it helpful for alignment.  Anyways, I always find the line I draw with a sharpie to be less than straight.....it wears off significantly in a round....you get marks on your club faces (I know...first world problem.). I got six dozen golf balls with the imprinted alignment aid from golfballs.com.   I really like this imprinted on the golf ball as it eliminates all the problems that I previously mentioned. Just thought if anyone else uses a line, you might want to check them out.   By the way, I do not work for nor do I have any financial interest in golf balls.com. Lol. 

F28D19C1-927D-4E98-91C3-F1930335CF12.png

• Like 2

Yes, I like this idea a lot. I always align the line while putting so I can focus on speed and forget about the line. It is a little annoying having to redraw the line after a few holes, but it doesn't bother me too much.  I do think this is a viable product that I MAY try in the future. 

• Like 1

I not only use the line for putting, I also use it when on the tee. I started doing it for putting and found that my alignment and aimpoint was considerably more consistent. After making the turn during a terrible driving round I decided to use the line on the tee to try to eliminate alignment thoughts when addressing the ball. My driving accuracy has greatly improved since that round. I found it also helps to visualize my swing path through the ball if I absolutely need to hit a draw or fade.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 4

So, as mentioned, the test that MGS did a few years ago shows no real statistical advantage for the line, but I too am a line guy. I don't draw one on there, I use the company stamp or my own text from a personalization to line it up. For example, I love the Truvis from Chrome Soft, but when the pattern interferes with the line it bugs me something fierce.

• Like 4

I’ve started experimenting with different lines. A single long line and even a “T” for aim and face square.

It seems to help but the ball really starts to look messy with Make, Model, #, and lines on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Having a bad knee has made using a line nearly impossible.  I can't get into a squat and line the line up for the putt.  I did for years.  Now that I have stopped using the line I have changed my putting style.  I read my putts by going to the low point on the line and looking back to find the point on the cup where the ball has to enter.  I look at that spot and gage how high above that line I have to aim for the ball to enter at my spot.  Then I stroke the putt.   I make way more putts now than I did when I putted with a line.

• Like 2

I use a line.  Tried going without for a while and my putts per green went up.   I draw it with a sharpie and it generally holds up most of the round.  If it gets too faded,  I just put the ball back in the template and redraw.  

• Like 2

I used to use a line, but now don't bother with it.  I do line up the logo in general direction, but it's more for a focal point than a path.

• Like 2

I'm the opposite. I like to see nothing so I turn the ball when putting so it's a clean area I look at. Anything else is just distracting.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I'm the opposite. I like to see nothing so I turn the ball when putting so it's a clean area I look at. Anything else is just distracting.

+1. I’ve never drawn a line or lined up my ball, but I realize most touring pros do it so it’s probably worthwhile. Maybe I’ll give it a go this year.

• Like 1

Same.

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I like it. That’s like the totally opposite of just about all the responses. Does it bother you on full shots where you can’t move the ball and are stuck with the distraction of the logo?  

Tried the line but I found myself constantly second guessing what I was looking at. Much easier for me without it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

I not only use the line for putting, I also use it when on the tee. I started doing it for putting and found that my alignment and aimpoint was considerably more consistent. After making the turn during a terrible driving round I decided to use the line on the tee to try to eliminate alignment thoughts when addressing the ball. My driving accuracy has greatly improved since that round. I found it also helps to visualize my swing path through the ball if I absolutely need to hit a draw or fade.

I'll have to try that. Up to this point I've just just it for putting. I draw my own line vs. buying balls with line on them already - they seem to last several rounds. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, blackngold_blood said:

I do this with the logo or text, but for a slightly different reason. If I place the text/logo slighting back left (I'm a righty), it reminds me to come a little from the inside to get a small draw. 

• Love 1

2 hours ago, joen said:

I like it. That’s like the totally opposite of just about all the responses. Does it bother you on full shots where you can’t move the ball and are stuck with the distraction of the logo?  

With driver I move it so it's 'clean', with any other shots it doesn't bother me. It's the fact I can adjust it on the green and it suits my preference but if I had to putt with a logo or line I would, I just prefer not to.

I used to be a line player all the time. But late last season I mixed it up and just started placing the logo of the ball perpendicular to my start line. It helped me square up my clubface so much better as I had a tendency to setup a little right 

Depending on the green, I use the manufacturer's line for putting.   If there's a good spot 6" - 8" in front of the ball on my intended line I can use that to start the putt.  If there isn't a spot I can focus on, I'll use the line to make sure I get lined up.  I can't seem to get my head located so I'm seeing the line properly, it always looks further right than it is.

• Like 1

I tried it for awhile and I still suck at putting, so being that I am as lazy as Fred Couples admits to being (he told Feherty, "I do a lot of nothing, and I am VERY good at it.") I just stopped doing it.  I still have the sharpies and the ball alignment tool in my bag.  Maybe if I am bored one day and waiting on your group to clear in front of me I can color lines on my golf balls again.

• Like 1

I used to draw a line all the way around my ball to use for alignment. I stopped 3 years ago to test whether it was helping me or not.

I have not gone back to the line since I am putting better. I also think no line speeds up play. I see too many guys fiddling with the ball trying to get it in the exact alignment and taking way too long to get the shot off.