Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Koepka vs McIlroy

GC70

Looks like Golf Monthly are trying to sensationalise a basic factual statement by Brooks. I like the way he says it as it is. 

GM resorting to tabloid style journalism........

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Golf is always trying to manufacture some rivalry so they have an easy storyline to go with every week. It’s each player against the field/course every week. If brooks finishes 4th and Rory finishes behind him or vice versa neither won. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Mess up

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Yep, saw that this morning. Koepka isn’t wrong, but it sure seems like he’s a LITTLE bit jealous of Rory’s fame and attention. Brooks only gets mentioned around majors, for his naked pics, and for his girlfriend with the receding hairline. He tried to act like he doesn’t care, but comments like this show he’s paying attention to Rory.

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

The quote from Brooks is not true.  Fake News.

Brooks won his first event on the PGA Tour in 2014 and was nominated for PGA Rookie of the Year.  He also played and won on the European Tour.  However, Rory won The Open Championship and the PGA Championship in 2014.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

59 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Brooks won his first event on the PGA Tour in 2014 and was nominated for PGA Rookie of the Year.  He also played and won on the European Tour.  However, Rory won The Open Championship and the PGA Championship in 2014.

Click-bait!!!!!

Kyle Porter of CBS posted on Twitter that (presumably in light of this "beef") a Brooks/Rory Ryder Cup match up would be awesome:

But for me, this just highlights the limitation of Brooks from a golf fan perspective. It might be that the Brooks/Rory match would be an epic display of golf. But I have a difficult time picturing Brooks mustering even a portion of the charisma needed to create something as memorable as the Reed/Rory front nine at Hazeltine. It just doesn't seem that Brooks comes close to caring enough to create that kind of energy.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

Is a Brooks/Rory rivalry at the Ryder Cup necessary?  And is it something the US team and fan-base should be wasting time with?

It's just something else at the Europeans disposal to distract the US team.  The US team needs to be more focused on being a team as it is.  They have exactly 5 wins in Ryder Cup competition since 1985!  With 5 wins and 12 loses in 35 years, that's an awful lot of futility!!!!! 

Just saying, much more important things to worry about for any potential member of the US team.

2 hours ago, Kenny B said:

how do you know this? any evidence? I wouldn't be surprised if it is Fake as that publication are not the most professional magazine in my opinion.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

I love how memes are now news facts.....but if this is true, is there any other player outside of Patrick Reed that is any less likeable? Koepka is an arrogant smug dbag regardless of how good he is.....plus McIlroy kicked his A$$ all over the players championship even though Koepka was handed a 5 shot lead.

Golf is cool

37 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

I love how memes are now news facts.....but if this is true, is there any other player outside of Patrick Reed that is any less likeable? Koepka is an arrogant smug dbag regardless of how good he is.....plus McIlroy kicked his A$$ all over the players championship even though Koepka was handed a 5 shot lead.

I love Brooks. He actually has the balls to speak his mind, unlike most of these pansies. Him and Rory are actually very similar in that fashion. They'll tell you what they really think. Something that's very refreshing in sports these days.

FYI Nobody was handed a 5 shot lead at the Players Championship. You are probably thinking of the Tour Championship and if that's the case Brooks didn't have the lead to start, JT did. BK started 3 back of him and Rory 5 back. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

6 minutes ago, Undershooter said:

I love Brooks. He actually has the balls to speak his mind, unlike most of these pansies. Him and Rory are actually very similar in that fashion. They'll tell you what they really think. Something that's very refreshing in sports these days.

FYI Nobody was handed a 5 shot lead at the Players Championship. You are probably thinking of the Tour Championship and if that's the case Brooks didn't have the lead to start, JT did. BK started 3 back of him and Rory 5 back. 

Yes! Thank u. I stand corrected. In the final pairing rory beat him up, correct? 

Golf is cool

Rory and Brooks were in contention while being paired together twice this past season.  They each came away wit ha victory. 

• In the Swamp Ass WGC in Memphis, Brooks took Rory to task with a final round 65 and a victory.  Rory was the only player in the Top-10 not to break par, finishing with a 71 to come home T-4.
  • In the Tour Championship, Rory closed with a 66 to earn the victory.  Brooks struggled a bit with a 72 and finished T-3.

A rivalry in mediocrity in my opinion.  Rory hasn't won a major in 5 years, and Brooks can't win a regular tour event more than once a year at best, because by his own admission, those events don't excite him, and he doesn't prepare for them.

As much as I detested the dominance of Tiger, when he was in his prime, everyone else was playing for 2nd place.  There is not a single player today that has that type of confidence to dominate, and can actually back it up with their play.

Single biggest statistic that just shows you how incredible Tiger Woods was over his playing career, what was it, how many YEARS did Tiger go without missing a cut?  That's dominance right there.  How many cuts did Rory and Brooks miss this last year alone?

Honestly, these two are a snooze fest in competitive fire.  Brooks used to not say anything, and he was better off.  Because now when he talks, what he says isn't worth repeating or talking about, because he's an average pro who happened to win 4 majors recently.

And man, talk about a guy who has gone MIA.  What in the hell is wrong with DJ?  Man, if there was ever a player that should have at least a handful of majors, and should be winning at a regular clip, it's him.  But he's simply vanished from the elite talk.

Again, it just goes to prove that none of these snapper heads are even close to what Tiger Woods was, even on one of Tiger's "off" years.  This is beyond stupid, and a ridiculous joke.

Edited by GSwag
  • :ping-small: G400 Driver
  • :callaway-small: XR 4 Fairway 16.5°
  • :mizuno-small: Fli-Hi Utility Iron - 21°
  • :ping-small: G Series 5-9 irons
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: SM7 46°, 50°, 54° & 58°
  • :taylormade-small: Ghost Spider S putter
  • :918457628_PrecisionPro:Nexus Laser Rangefinder
  • Garmin Approach S20 GPS

44 minutes ago, GSwag said:

A rivalry in mediocrity in my opinion.  Rory hasn't won a major in 5 years, and Brooks can't win a regular tour event more than once a year at best, because by his own admission, those events don't excite him, and he doesn't prepare for them.

As much as I detested the dominance of Tiger, when he was in his prime, everyone else was playing for 2nd place.  There is not a single player today that has that type of confidence to dominate, and can actually back it up with their play.

Single biggest statistic that just shows you how incredible Tiger Woods was over his playing career, what was it, how many YEARS did Tiger go without missing a cut?  That's dominance right there.  How many cuts did Rory and Brooks miss this last year alone?

Honestly, these two are a snooze fest in competitive fire.  Brooks used to not say anything, and he was better off.  Because now when he talks, what he says isn't worth repeating or talking about, because he's an average pro who happened to win 4 majors recently.

And man, talk about a guy who has gone MIA.  What in the hell is wrong with DJ?  Man, if there was ever a player that should have at least a handful of majors, and should be winning at a regular clip, it's him.  But he's simply vanished from the elite talk.

Again, it just goes to prove that none of these snapper heads are even close to what Tiger Woods was, even on one of Tiger's "off" years.  This is beyond stupid, and a ridiculous joke.

For the record, I completely agree.  Tiger is in a class unto himself.  Maybe even regardless of sport.  Jack Nicklaus and Bill Russell are the only other athletes that comes to mind who dominated a sport like Tiger did.  I think money creates complacency with most people and that's where Rory is now.  Complacent to the point of losing his competitive edge. 

In my opinion, Norman, Watson, Couples, etc. (as great as they were) were placeholders until the next Nicklaus came along.  When Tiger came along, Els, Mickelson, Johnson, McIlroy, Spieth and Koepka became the new placeholders until the next Tiger comes along.  Whenever that may be!  

But like Tiger, I think we will see him coming.....whoever he turns out to be.

11 hours ago, GSwag said:

Yes, it's a shame that none of these guys are comparable to the greatest or at least most dominant player to ever play the game.

You could say the same thing in the 80 and 90s too. Jack spoiled folks.

Having perspective is key. Both of these guys are 30 or younger and Phil didn't even win a major at that point in his career.. There is a lot of golf left to play. We'll see how it plays out. 

Tiger created this parity btw. He brought so many kids/athletes to golf. He also brought enough money to it to create all these great pros. It's part of the reason there is less dominance imo. 

Driver- Tmag 2017 M2 tour issue 8.5* actual loft 7.8* w/ HZRDS Green PVD 70TX"
Fairway Metal- Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver 12* w/ Fujikura Rombax TP95-X"

Utility- Mizuno MPH5 1 iron w/ Aldila RIP 85X (depending on course/ conditions)

Irons- Mizuno MP- FLI HI 2i w/ Aldila Proto ByYou 100X
          Mizuno MP59 4i-6I w/ PX 6.5

Mizuno MP69 7i-PW w/ PX 6.5

Wedges- Scratch 8620 Driver/Slider set.  50*, 54* bent to 55* and 60*

Putter- Taylormade Spider Tour w/ flow neck
Ball- Bridgestone Tour B X

Bag- Sun Mountain C130 Supercharged

• 3 weeks later...

Rory and Brooks are a couple of my fav golfers right now. There are some young guns and rookies that have my attention but I digress. Brooks was correct in his current assessment. that being said, my prediction is that by the end of 2020 not only will Rory be ranked higher than Brooks but Brooks will not be in the top in world rankings. You can quote me. haha. 

HOT TAKE!!!!!! 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

I’m still staggered over Watson being called a “placeholder” and grouped with Norman and Couples who between them won 3 majors - Watson won 5 Opens. You also had Seve and Faldo in that era - there just wasn’t a Jack or Tiger

You can’t always have a Jack or Tiger - I’m sorry if guys find Brooks and Rory or Jordan and JT boring - these guys are hardly placeholders - there are legitimate top tier Hall of Famers in this group. They just aren’t Jack and Tiger.

Well there’s no Jim Brown in the NFL or Babe Ruth in baseball either - they still play the games, they are fun to watch if you like that sport.

I will continue to watch golf when I’m not playing and look forward to when’s few of the top players are in the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 11/9/2019 at 7:02 AM, revkev said:

I’m still staggered over Watson being called a “placeholder” and grouped with Norman and Couples who between them won 3 majors - Watson won 5 Opens. You also had Seve and Faldo in that era - there just wasn’t a Jack or Tiger

You can’t always have a Jack or Tiger - I’m sorry if guys find Brooks and Rory or Jordan and JT boring - these guys are hardly placeholders - there are legitimate top tier Hall of Famers in this group. They just aren’t Jack and Tiger.

Well there’s no Jim Brown in the NFL or Babe Ruth in baseball either - they still play the games, they are fun to watch if you like that sport.

I will continue to watch golf when I’m not playing and look forward to when’s few of the top players are in the mix.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

There is no Jim Brown or Babe Ruth but there is a Mike Trout. Probably the best baseball player to ever live. He just plays in Anaheim instead of New York.. 

I really wish there was a way to to drop prime Tiger, prime Jack, Prime Arnie, prime Hogan all into today and see what it would look like. 

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

On 10/17/2019 at 11:57 AM, GSwag said:

he's an average pro who happened to win 4 majors recently.

I didn't realize there was such a thing as an average pro who's won 4 majors...that puts Brooks (and Rory btw) tied for 20th. With another win they're tied with Phil and others. Two more wins and your starting to get into company with the likes of Faldo/Trevino/Palmer/Snead. As they're both playing very well and young enough to win some more, calling either of them "average" feels like a remarkable understatement to me.

Not disagreeing that neither are even remotely in Tiger's atmosphere, but let's be real. Tiger's career is in extremely elite air, in a sport that's been around for quite a while. Comparing every new talent to Tiger is frankly not fair. The chances we see another "Tiger" in our lifetime is extremely small.

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

• 5 months later...

Brooks is the first guy since Tiger that has the “eye of the tiger” and knows how to finish out a tournament to win , For 1 year I said the same for Jordan Spieth, but he just petered out . There is no contest between Brooks and Rory- I would love Rory to really step up his game at the end of a tournament when he is on the leader board. It would make for great golf.

Cobra Driver, 3 wood, 4,5 hybrids, callaway irons,