Driver and 6 iron Trackman Numbers Inside. Help me find new shafts/equipment please!

jestein1679

I played college golf long before the technology revolution (1997-2001). Recently started practicing seriously again and I know very little about what types of shafts/equipment could help me improve. Any advice is really appreciated!

Current Driver:

Cobra F8 9.5 Degree - Aldila NV 2KXV Green 65 - Stiff Flex

Driver Averages:

Club Speed     Attack Ang.     Ball Speed    Smash Fac.      Launch Ang.         Dyn. Loft         Spin Rate         Height            Carry            Total

107.4                    0.6                  160.2            1.49                    13.0                        14.5                   2397                105                272.0          294.6

Driver.png--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Irons:

Taylor Made R7 - T Step 90 steel - Regular Flex

6 iron averages

Club Speed     Attack Ang.     Ball Speed    Smash Fac.      Launch Ang.         Dyn. Loft         Spin Rate         Height            Carry            Total

94.3                  -3.4                     133.4               1.41                  16.2                       20.4                     5505             117                 192.5            199.5

6-Iron.png

I know you just joined the forum and all but............ go find a competent fitter. None of us sitting here pecking on a keyboard can do that. Sure, you'll get a ton of suggestions on this shaft or that iron or driver. But only a good fitter can actually help you work through it.

Best Wishes.

My Sun Mountain bag currently includes:   TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 771CSI 5i - PW and TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png PFC Micro Tour-c 52°, 56°, 60 wedges

:755178188_TourEdge: EXS 10.5*, TWGTLogo2.png.06c802075f4d211691d88895b3f34b75.png 929-HS FW4 16.5* 

:edel-golf-1: Willimette w/GolfPride Contour

Your driver numbers are close to being optimized. At your speed you could go x stiff.

and playing reg flex in irons may hurt you a bit mostly with height. A high ball isn’t bad but you are definitely on the upper limits of peak height.

as plaidjacket mentioned it would be best to get fit because what works for one person at your swing speed might not work for you as there are many more things that go into the right setup than speed

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

In my uneducated eye those look like very solid numbers across the board on both clubs. As in, I'd be asking what else is there to strive towards as the "numbers" side looks like you may be chasing fractions of improvements? Unless, giveen the "numbers look great" but what we can not see is a nasty dispersion pattern with either or both (i.e.regular flex at those speeds)? Numbers side looks solid (again, not a qualified opinion but as casual observer)  but if those numbers are not also followed with/by tight dispersion, then maybe there is the gorilla in the room.

Edited by Trial&Error

As was already said, I wouldn’t come here looking for someone to fit you. A lot of folks on here think they can, but probably not the best advice. Better to take your numbers to a fitter, or even send them online to someone you can make contact with.

The only thing that sticks out to me is that there isn’t a big difference between your seven iron swing speed and your driver swing speed. Comparatively, your driver swing speed is a little slow for a 7-iron going 95 miles an hour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Numbers you have are pretty solid. I wouldn't change your current driver shaft weight or length, but you may want to look at x-flex and having your swing coach flatten out your attack angle a degree or so. A minor tweak to ball position and tee height could do the trick and add 10+ yards quite easily.

6-iron is pretty solid too - again, you may want to look at x-flex for more consistency with your sporadic dynamic loft a possible result of your speed over powering the rather flimsy shaft. Distance control is the key with irons, so even a modest change in loft and spin would give excellent results. 

Edited by jaskanski

There is a piece of info missing. Where are they landing?

The numbers suggest that the contact is good if not great now how about direction.

Based on the equipment, if you are looking to improve, retooling the iron may be the best bet.

Based on past experiences the t90 in R flex probably is not R.  get something you can have confidence in and take a rip with or finesse as needed.

Driver - 44.5" 5.0 flex 10.5 deg Graphite Design XC 6S GP MCC4+ 1 deg closed

Irons - 5-pw, GW stnd length 5.0 flex same grip 1 deg flat. Type low medium offset cavity back, no diggers

Wedges - 56 and 60 tour grind wedge spinner and mcc4+ grip 2 flat 10 and 8 in bounce

Putter - Makefield VS LH

Ball - truvis

Carried in a Sun Mountain C-130 USA bag - BE PROUD.

HC - LH but 85 is a good number, playing in Ohio.

I'm with McGolf. Things look fine with the numbers provided. Speeds and distances are consistent, which is a huge plus! If your dispersion is good, I see no need to look any further. UNLESS.... you think they need to FEEL different (and I urge you to be VERY careful with this). FEEL is a very personal thing and it can cause issues weeks or months into the future. With that, seeing a fitter would be a benefit as long as you use your current clubs as a solid baseline.

Also, be very careful what you listen to. I fitted a fellow back in the 90's with a set that he played very successfully. Shafts were DG R300 which gave him the ideal flight and carry for his swing. All was good UNTIL, some random guy he was playing with one day, looked at his clubs and told him, he had no business playing R shafts. Those few words got in his head and he lost total confidence in the clubs in a matter of weeks. I tried for weeks to remind him how well he played with them up until that moment, but he couldn't recover. I eventually had to reshaft his clubs with S flex of the same shaft and he was okay (I really thought about just changing the shaft bands, but he was a good friend of mind and if he found out, he would never forgive me). Just a few yards shorter through the set due to a slightly lower ball flight.

BT