Sign in to follow this  
gavinski91

Golfing in non-golf shoes

Our Sponsors

Do you do it, and are you successful?

Used to golf in your standard Nike running shoes, and my feet would be all over the place off every tee. Still don't own golf shoes, but I wear my Salomon Speedcross 4 GTX trail runners and they are great - the lugs are spaced far enough apart and are long enough apart that I don't have any issues. Plus they're way more comfortable than the Adidas spikeless shoes I tried for a round and a half.

What non-golf shoes do you golf in?

opplanet-salomon-speedcross-4-gtx-trail-running-shoe-mens-sky-diver-indigo-bunting-black-14-l40660400-14-main.jpeg

• Like 1

Currently testing the  EXPUTT Putting Simulator

Driver - :nike-small: Vapor Speed, 9.5°, Fubuki Z50 S
Hybrid - Warrior 3H

Irons - :wilson_staff_small: D200 5-GW, uniflex, std length/loft/lie
Wedges - :cleveland-small: CBX 52°, 58°
Putter - :1332069271_TommyArmour: Torch 03

Ball - :srixon-small: Z-Star XV

For comfort ( i walk) I wear running shoes and don’t seem to have any problems with traction. I would be interested in trying out some of the spikeless options that are coming out now as they seem to be more comfortable.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 1

I tried playing in my running shoes a couple times as a test before buying spikeless golf shoes, but I wouldn’t do it otherwise. Might get away with it when it’s dry if you don’t swing very hard. Decent golf shoes provide better traction and stability than running shoes. There are comfortable spikeless and even spiked golf shoes. I wear spikeless golf shoes if the ground is completely dry, spikes if it’s wet or raining.

• Like 1

• Callaway Rogue 10.5° 9.5°D & 3W
  • Mizuno JPX900 Forged 4-GW, S18 56.10, S18 60.06
  • Evnroll ER5B (replaced ER2)
  • and 14th club - Mizuno CLK 3H 19° OR MP-20 HMB 3i 19°
  • Snell MTB-X (replaced Black)

I played this last weekends round in a pair of adidas icon 4 trainer turn shoes. It was an early morning round with lots of dew on the ground and I had no issues with slipping. They were extremely more comfortable than my Nike golf shoes. It is the route I will be going from now on.

What is in my Bag Boy Revolver

Driver:    PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5* set to small + with a VA Composites Nemesys 55s @ 44.75"

Fairway:  :srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Irons: Testing the Titleist T200 irons 4-W2 with Project X LZ 5.5 shaft -1/2" and 1* Up

Wedge: Titleist SM7 56* with Project X LZ 5.0 shaft

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Custom Futura X5 flow neck with a UST Frequency Filtered shaft -1" with a SS wristlock grip

I found out the hard way, running shoes don't offer enough lateral stability.  Walking a hilly layout and/or the motion of the golf swing, running shoes allow too much lateral movement.  In my case, a sort of rolling of the left foot that over time resulted in a knee injury.  I'm all better now but the process was a painful one and painful lesson to learn.

• Like 1

I've tried, and it's a no-go for me. I walked an early morning round, forgetting that I had pulled my Nikes out of the trunk to clean them off. I was sliding everywhere, between tee boxes and trying to walk up hills I made sure to never forget my shoes again.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:wilson_staff_small:  D7 R flex 
:callaway-small:  GBB 3W (lofted to 4W)
:callaway-small: V-Series Heavenwood
:cobra-small: Baffler XL 5i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54*
:cleveland-small:  Smart Sole S
:cleveland-small: #10

Twitter: @russtopherb

It was wet out the other day and I slipped when I was hitting an iron off the tee on a par 3 while wearing spikeless golf shoes. I can't imagine what would have happened if I was wearing non-golf shoes, would have probably fell over.

Stuck it on the green even with the slip 😃

• Like 1

Follow my golf journey to break into the 80s

Current MGS Tester for the Fujikura Motore X Shaft

Fujikura and Nippon fan. Connoisseur of grips.

Updated 7/14/2020
Driver:taylormade-small:SIM Max 10.5 - Fujikura Ventus Red 5S Velocore (the real one)
Hybrids:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3H, 4H - Matrix Ozik 85S
Irons:callaway-small:Mavrik Max 5 - AW - Nippon Neo 950GH S
Wedges: :cleveland-small: CBX 2 54, CBX Full Face 58 - Nippon Modus 105 Wedge flex
Putter:  :scotty-small: Squareback 1 - Sense Grips S1 - Stability Shaft

Current Putter Collection:EVNROLL: ER10 Outback,  :bettinardi-small: 2017 Studio Stock 3, :cameron-small: La Costa 1st 500, :scotty-small: Squareback 1 (2008)

On 6/2/2020 at 6:20 AM, sixcat said:

I found out the hard way, running shoes don't offer enough lateral stability.  Walking a hilly layout and/or the motion of the golf swing, running shoes allow too much lateral movement.  In my case, a sort of rolling of the left foot that over time resulted in a knee injury.  I'm all better now but the process was a painful one and painful lesson to learn.

I'll echo that. I've rolled my left ankle more than once on damp driving ranges and my knees get sore when in trainers, for me it's not worth the long term damage. (Or the embarrassment in front of your buddies)

• Like 1

Driver: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - 9.5 Diamana XS 60

3W & 3Hy: :adams-small: Super Speedline S - Stiff

Irons: :taylormade-small: RAC OS II - Stiff -  Standard loft/lie

Wedges::callaway-small: MD3 S-Grind 52, 56

Putter: :wilson-small: Blackjack 206

Ball: :titelist-small: ProV1

Bag: :titelist-small: Players 4 Stand Bag

Fort Worth, TX- RH - 10 Handicap

If I am going in non golfing shoes, it's definitely a pair of trail runners for me. The Terrex has good traction and Gore Tex action. Pretty ideal. Screenshot_20200617-142425~2.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Does this count? Have done it a couple of times for various reasons...

IMG_4185.JPG

Driver: :taylormade-small: M5 9.5* head set to 8* loft 3*open, weights set slightly lower Launch and fade bias
3 wood: :taylormade-small: M1 13.5* Head set open w/ Fade bias weights. 
Irons: :ping-small: I-Blades PW-3i, 2* up standard length.
Wedges: :ping-small:Glide 1.0 TS 60*, :ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 ES, :titelist-small:Vokey 52* 
Putter: :ping-small: Sigma G Kushin .
Ball: Various: :titelist-small: AVX, :bridgestone-small: B X, and currently testing the Vice Pro + Neon just for fun