Hip Surgery

Time has run out on my effed-up right hip, and so I will be having it replaced after the season (November 14th).  X-rays of both hips and knees were disheartening, but after discussing with the surgeon of my right hip and knee pain, I have to say that I am looking forward to having the procedure done.  He explained that my knee pain is almost for sure referred pain from my hip, so I am optimistic that the surgery will address both.  He will be using the anterior technique, which apparently minimizes cutting into the muscle.

For those who have had the procedure done, how was it?  I hear that rehab is a breeze compared to knee or shoulder surgery, and that post-op pain was actually bearable.  Surgeon said that, if I had a post-Christmas golf trip planned (unfortunately, I don't), I should be able to play by then.  Thanks!

:ping-small: G430 Max HL Max Driver

:ping-small: G430 Max HL 5- and 7-Woods

:ping-small: G430 Max  HL 4-Hybrid

:titleist-small: T300 6-GW Irons

:ping-small: Glide 3.0 52 and 58 degree Wedges

:titleist-small: Vokey SM9 56 degree Sand Wedge

:bettinardi-small: BB-8W Putter

:titleist-small: ProV1x Balls

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

Had the left hip done @ the age of 73, best thing I ever had done, should'vehad it done when initially suggested 10 years ago, my bad 

Recovery, was up and moving around about 4 hrs after surgery with the assistance of a walker. 3 days later was walking with cane. Only med I took was an occassional Tylenol, but I used alot of ice.  

Rehab was easy, but I was walking every 2 hours, each day extended  my range and including hills. The exercises done at rehab twice a week, I did at least 2x day.  2 weeks I was driving, putting and chipping. At end of the 4th week, I was playing 9 holes, every day. At 6 weeks I was back to golfing 18 holes daily.  

My issue was that all the compensations I made to accomodate the hip/back issues, left me with a butt ugly swing from rear foot, primarily arms only.   Its taking longer to get rid of the bad habits and develop a good swing

IIt's been a life changer..

Thanks for the information, Martee.  I'm glad it went well for you.  FWIW, I played a guilt card on my instructor when I told him about the diagnosis.   He was constantly trying to get me to turn my hips, and I kept telling him, "That's all I got!" 🙂

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

Have mine (left) planned for November 10, two weeks after my last trip to the Prairie Club.  Also going the anterior route.  Odd to say I’m looking forward to it - but I’m really looking forward to it. 

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)

My feelings exactly, Wafflehouse!

Semper ubi, sub ubi.

I play with a guy who had a hip replacement. He says it has been a huge improvement. I remember when he said the doc told him he could chip and putt. Naturally, one of the other guys said, “I need to look into a hip replacement because you’ve never been able to chip and putt!”

14 of the following:

Ping G430 Max 10.5 degree

Callaway 2023 Big Bertha 3 wood set to 17 degrees

Cobra F9 Speedback 7/8 wood set at 23.5 degrees

Callaway Epic Max 11 wood

Ping Eye 2 BeCu 2-SW

Mizuno 923 JPX HM HL 6-GW

Hogan sand wedge 56 degree bent to 53

Maltby M Series+ 54 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 Eye2 58 degree

Ping Glide 3.0 60 degree

Evnroll ER2

Ping Sigma 2 Anser

Cheap Top Flite mallet putter from Dick's, currently holding down first place in the bag

TaylorMade Mini Spider

Bridgestone XS

I haven't had my hip done, but I did have my left knee replaced about four and a half years ago.  As @martee said, it was, well the second-best thing I've ever done.  I never realized how much pain I was in until it wasn't there any longer.  I was up and walking (with a walker) within 6 hours.  I started physical therapy a day after returning from surgery (had to spend one night in the hospital).  One plus week with a walker, one plus week with a cane and then I didn't need any other support to get around.  After 6 weeks I was back playing golf.

Here's a couple of suggestions (even though I had a knee versus hip).  When you are out and about, even after you don't need a cane to walk I would recommend bringing it with you for an extra week or two.  It becomes a visual cue for those around you not to sneak up on you, bump you or do other things.  Without the cane, they may never know.  A good suggestion I got from my physical therapist was to make sure they work whatever scare you have after the bandages come off.  The deep message helps break up the scare tissue and helps it lay flat.  I've seen other knee replacements where they didn't take the time to work it and the scare looks like a zipper.  Finally, take the time to work on your new walking gate.  Not so much to deal with the new hip.  But your other hip and knees will be taking on additional stress as you recover and with your new hip could cause your normal gate to change.  It has been five years since my left knee replacement and for the last few years my right hip has been pretty sore.   One silly outcome was that my left leg is now about 1/4-1/2" longer than my right.  I had to buy a new suit after the surgery and the tailor assumed both legs were the same length.  At my fitting, my left cuff was noticeably shorter, so he had to lengthen that one leg to make them look even.  

I did have a fellow golfer have both his knees done at the same time (by the same doctor who did my knee) and he was also back playing golf in six weeks.  Six weeks seems to be the magic number!  That's even more unbelievable than my one new knee.  

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

I play with a guy who had both hips replaced a few years ago. Poor guy could barely swing and we were getting his ball out of the hole and picking up his tees for him. He had both done in the off season the second was done in March and he was back playing by May as well as he did before. 

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

• 3 weeks later...

My left hip is scheduled to go under the knife on November 11, exactly two years after I had my right hip replaced.  The outpatient surgery was a breeze.  Got there at 10am and walked out of the place with a walker at 7pm.  The first 5 days are a bit of a hassle sleeping but I had zero pain, took no meds and was moving around nicely after 3 weeks.  Rehab is easy and you can golf at around the 3-4 month recovery point.  I've been playing golf six times a week all summer, walking with my MGI zip navigator to preserve my hip and it's gone great.  

13 hours ago, Labsx2 said:

My left hip is scheduled to go under the knife on November 11, exactly two years after I had my right hip replaced.  The outpatient surgery was a breeze.

Anterior or posterior? Any restrictions?

Walking ahead of my BagBoy QuadXL w Alphard eWheels
Driver: Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9* Neutral w stock Evenflow Riptide R flex shaft
3W  Titelist TS2 15* Draw w Tensei Blue R flex
3H, 4H Cobra One Length F9 Speedback hybrids (1”short) w Fujikura Atmos R flex shaft
5I-GW Cobra Forged TEC Black One Length (1”short, 2* flat) KBS 90 R flex shafts
56, 60 Cobra King MIM One Length Black (1” short) KBS HiRev2.0 125 S flex shafts
ER7  or Scotty Futura X - 35”

OnCore Elixr (lemon or lime)