Power I positive thinking

HighFade

A wise man once told me that in order to play good golf, you have to BELIEVE the ball is going to go where you want it to. I am a believer now.

Richard, this is a swing thought that will be with me forever, thanks to you.

Part of my pre-swing routine was to visualize the shot that I was about to make. That's all fine and good, but add to that a little self talk - "I am a good player. I can make this shot in my sleep. I dont pray it comes of well. I expect it". I was really surprised at much it helps. Especially with putting.

P.S. An instructor once told me "Don't get excited when the ball goes in the hole. That's what you were trying to do!"

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Especially with putting.

Especially with putting.

I look at the hole, make minutiae adjustments based on feel, and when it "feels" right I putt the ball. My last thought is "That's it, now back of the cup." and I am shocked sometimes at the path the ball takes to the hole. There have been times when I though I was playing it pretty straight and the ball curves two feet and goes in the hole, and there are times when the ball appears to be going almost straight and I was planning on playing more break, but the ball goes in the hole, or at least right by it. There are also times when I miss it by 5 feet but for the most part the putting is critiical but these usually happen when I think negative thoughts. When you throw a piece of paper at the trash you usually hit the rim at worst. How often do you miss by five or more feet. So why should your putts miss by that much.

I have allowed negative thoughts to enter my short game and the high 30 to 60 yard hit and stop shot that was once a hallmark of my short game is not there anymore. The problem was when I got rid of my early release, slowed my tempo, and started making contact with the center of the club, the ball went further than it did before. Also, after a drought and in the winter there was no much grass, so I lost confidence in it. I was thinking yesterday that once the rain stops, this afternoon, i was going to go out and pitch the ball for a couple of hours because there is no reason i should avoid that shot, I can do I just need to practice.

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 3W  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:ping-small:G425 3H  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: iCrossover 4 on Graphite Design AD DI 7S 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

Especially with putting.

I look at the hole, make minutiae adjustments based on feel, and when it "feels" right I putt the ball. My last thought is "That's it, now back of the cup." and I am shocked sometimes at the path the ball takes to the hole. There have been times when I though I was playing it pretty straight and the ball curves two feet and goes in the hole, and there are times when the ball appears to be going almost straight and I was planning on playing more break, but the ball goes in the hole, or at least right by it. There are also times when I miss it by 5 feet but for the most part the putting is critiical but these usually happen when I think negative thoughts. When you throw a piece of paper at the trash you usually hit the rim at worst. How often do you miss by five or more feet. So why should your putts miss by that much.

I have allowed negative thoughts to enter my short game and the high 30 to 60 yard hit and stop shot that was once a hallmark of my short game is not there anymore. The problem was when I got rid of my early release, slowed my tempo, and started making contact with the center of the club, the ball went further than it did before. Also, after a drought and in the winter there was no much grass, so I lost confidence in it. I was thinking yesterday that once the rain stops, this afternoon, i was going to go out and pitch the ball for a couple of hours because there is no reason i should avoid that shot, I can do I just need to practice.

I agree with this 100%. Every time I go to putt, I visualize the line, line up my putter to that line, and then get into my stance. As soon as I'm comfortable, inevitably a second guess creeps into my thoughts. I've found that 9/10 times, if I ignore that thought and just stick with my routine, I'm a better putter.

Of course, better is a relative term... :)

Thanks wdgolf, now I'm gonna giggle every time, "I'm good enough, I'm smart enough, and doggonit people like me!"

I'm ruined

😃

There is no spoon.

WITB
TaylorMade M3
Callaway Diablo 15°
Callaway Diablo 18°
Callaway Steelhead XR Pro 4-W
Mizuno TP-4 50, 54, 58
TaylorMade Rossa Monza Spyder

Archived