Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Maxfli Tour Series Golf Balls - 2023 Forum Review

Message added by GolfSpy_APH,

Follow our Testers main posts in the links below!

Maxfli Tour Golf Ball
@David Leighton Reid - TESTING POST
@CSiders12 - TESTING POST

Maxfli Tour S Golf Ball
@thechrisgibbs - TESTING POST

Maxfli Tour X Golf Ball
@Micah T - TESTING POST
@cjeffs12 - TESTING POST

2 minutes ago, chisag said:

... As a lifelong hippie that cares about the world we live in, I truly hate golf ball packaging. Just removing sleeves and putting 12 balls in a box would be a good start followed closely by recycled non glossy packaging. The amount of landfill waste saved would be significant. 

That's a great point as well. However, I think they would get lashback from consumers that don't care about that perspective. Are there any major OEMs that do that? I can't think of any that go with that model. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS

Hybrid: SIM 2 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-P

Wedges: Sub70 TAIII 50, 54, 60

Putter: Mizuno M.Craft Type 03 Putter

Maxfli Tour Golf Ball Review

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor Review

Unofficial Mizuno Type III Putter Review

10 minutes ago, CSiders12 said:

That's a great point as well. However, I think they would get lashback from consumers that don't care about that perspective. Are there any major OEMs that do that? I can't think of any that go with that model. 

... That is just such a sad but accurate comment. I think it would be an interesting marketing move. Would more people that are concerned with the health of the planet buy balls and support that company* because of recycled packaging or would too many 'Muricans pass because it doesn't look cool. It would take one of the Major OEMs to make it work. If Titleist did it, everyone would follow. 

* There was a company that did exactly this quite a few years ago with plain brown packaging and no sleeves but unfortunately the ball had at best, marginal performance. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

10 minutes ago, chisag said:

... That is just such a sad but accurate comment. I think it would be an interesting marketing move. Would more people that are concerned with the health of the planet buy balls and support that company* because of recycled packaging or would too many 'Muricans pass because it doesn't look cool. It would take one of the Major OEMs to make it work. If Titleist did it, everyone would follow. 

* There was a company that did exactly this quite a few years ago with plain brown packaging and no sleeves but unfortunately the ball had at best, marginal performance. 

they should use those old cardboard egg cartons. the amount of paper I have to recycle inside a box of golf balls is ridiculous. I understand that they don't want them all banging into each other so they don't scuff but there's got to be a better way.

seems like something like this would work and be more cost effective....

image.png.48f99ee0088480b835bc959079580724.png

Driver-  Cobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X
Buggy- Motocaddy M7 GPS Remote Electric Caddy
Bag- Motocaddy Dry-Series

Proudly testing for 2024:

1 hour ago, chisag said:

One big reason for sleeves is so stores/pro shops can break open a dozen as needed. And yes, too many of us are conditioned to buy the shiny thing. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g
Wedges: cleveland.png.f21f4d2361520fdf1bbd9d515a2f11e6.png 52º, 56º, 60º
Putter:  odyssey.png.58c727e37eb7efda62bce4f7b8881bd9.png Ai-One 7 T CH, 34"
Preferred Ball: srixon.png.f177578dda27a20ef80a0a8b1ae96e3b.png Z-Star Diamond
Pushcart: bagboy.jpg.0dda53b5175958e1b5686f22b90af744.jpg Nitron
Rangefinder: bushnell.jpg.c51debd06066fa243dea7f14d69a8dba.jpg Tour V5 Shift

15 minutes ago, Preeway said:

One big reason for sleeves is so stores/pro shops can break open a dozen as needed. And yes, too many of us are conditioned to buy the shiny thing. 

... I have been using my own canvas grocery bags for over 15 years now. Sprouts is my local grocery store. For those unfamiliar they broke off from Whole Foods and started their own chain. I was irritated that a company offering organic, healthy food as well as a bulk section used plastic bags and I wrote them saying so. Evidently I was not alone and starting June 1st this year they are offering thick reusable plastic bags that cost a dime, supposedly good for up to 200 trips. Of course if you bring your own bag there is no charge. And while I am happy to say most accepted this new program, there were still some that complained. 🙄

We do a lot of shopping at Aldi and they don’t even provide bags. Caught me off guard the first time I went there, lol. 

Driver:  cobralogo.png.60692cdc05482efd83e68664e010b95f.png Aerojet LS, Ventus Blue Shaft - 6S
4 Wood:  callaway.png.e65d398fb0327017a369499fc6126064.png Rogue ST Max 16.5, Tensei White Shaft - 7S
Utility Iron: mizunopro.png.90cc4fb9895830e28063d9a5be416145.png Fli Hi 3-iron, HAZARDOUS Smoke Black Shaft - S
Irons:  mizuno.png.f0e7b21135cb6273b3c1430866904467.png JPX 921 Tour 4-P, Project X Shafts - Stiff 125g

4 minutes ago, chisag said:

... I have been using my own canvas grocery bags for over 15 years now. Sprouts is my local grocery store. For those unfamiliar they broke off from Whole Foods and started their own chain. I was irritated that a company offering organic, healthy food as well as a bulk section used plastic bags and I wrote them saying so. Evidently I was not alone and starting June 1st this year they are offering thick reusable plastic bags that cost a dime, supposedly good for up to 200 trips. Of course if you bring your own bag there is no charge. And while I am happy to say most accepted this new program, there were still some that complained. 🙄

We are ALDI shoppers here which has a very similar design. We always bring our own bags and they have a lot of reusable bags you can buy there for cheap. 

The one thing I hate about golf ball sleeves is the little piece of plastic covering the previews the ball. That is the dumbest thing on a sleeve. Just cardboard sleeves aren't bad, but when you add the unnecessary plastic, it gets to be a bit much. 

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST MAX LS

Hybrid: SIM 2 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno JPX 921 Tour 4-P

Wedges: Sub70 TAIII 50, 54, 60

Putter: Mizuno M.Craft Type 03 Putter

Maxfli Tour Golf Ball Review

Rapsodo MLM2Pro Launch Monitor Review

Unofficial Mizuno Type III Putter Review

1 minute ago, CSiders12 said:

The one thing I hate about golf ball sleeves is the little piece of plastic covering the previews the ball. That is the dumbest thing on a sleeve. Just cardboard sleeves aren't bad, but when you add the unnecessary plastic, it gets to be a bit much. 

Agreed. Makes more sense, practical and economical, to just leave the view open. 

30 minutes ago, CSiders12 said:

... But non recyclable cardboard is almost as bad, as it will go into a landfill and with there paint it will sit there for years to come. People just don't seem to understand we are past the point where waste is over flowed and getting worse every day. Jut think of this one little issue and if every box of golf balls stopped using 4 sleeves how many millions of towns of garbage worldwide would be reduced.

... I was in Playa Blanca Mexico and walking along the beach when some very large fish had thousands of much smaller fish pinned against the shore and while the majority stayed back making a perimeter, one or two would dart in and grab some of the smaller fish. Panicked, literally thousands were flopping around on the beach. I started picking up handfuls and tossing them back in the ocean when the either two guys laughed and said "there are thousands and thousands and you aren'r making any difference" ... With another handful I said "It makes a difference to them". Works for most anything in todays world of indifference. 

On 5/9/2023 at 3:18 AM, Manny said:

Placeholder

First and foremost I want to thank everyone who selected me to test the MaxFli TourS ball.

I have to say I was extremly impressed with the pacakage of the balls. It was more than I thought it would be.

I was also very impressed with the back of the box. All the features and benefits were listed, and this is something I normally dont look at. But I think going forward I will  become more aware of what kind of F&B a ball has.  

The first week, I played with the ball I have to admit that I had a hard time looking at the ball and seeing the MaxFli logo on the ball. I normally play Prov1, ChromeSoft, TP5x etc. balls. I also gave a couple balls to my playing partners to get their feeddback.

Everyone other than my partners, I told them what I was doing. I was testing for MyGolfSpy and that  I was a tester for new MaxFli TourS ball and showed them the ball. 

Let me say after my intial shock of not playing one of the 'elite' balls I was pleasntly impressed. 

Both of my playing partners were also impressed. One thing that we all noticed was the sound and feel of the ball off the club face.  With our irons the ball had a nice sound, very crisp and clean. 

I did notice a little distance increase also, but the weather was warmer and that could have had something to do with that. 

Also, I was in the bunker a few time and I did notice that I had some increase in spin! I never have spin out of the bunkers, so I have to say that I enjoyed that and that a big benefit to me. 

I was playing last week and hit a 7 iron and when I looked down at my club, I noticed that i had ball residue on my club, wish I had taken a picure of it. I showed that to my partner and he was shocked to see that much on my club. 

After getting onto the green I felt the ball looking for the 'scuff mark' and there was nothing! I was absolutely shocked on how that could happen! I showed it to Steve and he couldn't believe it either. So if someone can  explain this to me I would like to hear it.

Now for some of the not so good. I personally did not see much accurency increase with my ball flight.  

Also one of the younger guys I golfed with last week I told him my story and he did not want anything to do with the MaxFli ball at all. But he lost 6 TP5x balls and had to get more balls at the turn. So I didnt feel too bad for him.

I want to say that I was impressed with the ball, the feel off the club head was the biggest selling poing. The packaging of the ball was top notch. The spin was fantastic for me. The ball also had a very nice feel to it, not too tacky not too slick. 

IMG_5167.jpg.89f6c05ae9835488ac196e7538aa03d1.jpg I think what I would like to do is use this ball as my fall and winter ball as I play year round and use my current ball Prov1 etc during the summer.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask away.

Thank you

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

My Final Review is Posted!! This was a great test and I really did enjoy the Maxfli Tour X. 

:taylormade-small: STEALTH 2+ 10.5* FUJIKURA VENTUS TR BLACK 6X

:srixon-small: ZX MKII 3W 15* Project X HZRDUS Smoke Blue RDX U.S.A. 8TX

:taylormade-small: Stealth+ 19 Mitsubishi Tensei Pro White 1K 85TX

:srixon-small: ZX7 4-PW KBS $Taper 130 BLACK PVD

:cleveland-small: RTX 6 Zipcore 50/54.10 Full Project X 6.0

:ping-small: GLIDE 4.0 60.10S DYNAMIC GOLD TOUR ISSUE S400

:EVNROLL: ER2v MIDLOCK 40”

:maxfli: TOUR X

:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9 with Slope 

:SuperSpeed:

Loved the feedback. Their testing methods were great. I have been playing the Maxfli Tour for over a year and a half now. And it has become my go to ball. As the testers mentioned when I play a ProV1 or TMTP5, I do see a little more roll out from the driver but to be honest that is the only measurable difference for me. Iron shots, wedges and putting all feel great with the Maxfli Tour, and let’s be totally honest here - You can’t beat the pricing! Well done Testers! 

Edited by Delaware Joe

The Review June 10, 2023

MaxFli TourS – Official MGS Forum Review by Manny 

Intro- Due 1 Week after Selection

I have been slowly improving my golf game over the last few years. As much as I play, I would like to see much better improvement but it is a slow process.  I get to play 2-4 times a week, and with this much play I was hoping to see miles and miles of improvment. 

I enjoy playing and the exercise that I get from it also. I tend to be competitive when I play also, but I don’t let it ruin my experience and friendship on the course.     

The Personal Questions

I play in the PNW PDX/Vancouver WA area.

I started playing in college back before some of your were born, early 80’s to the mid 90’s. Then kids career came along and golf took a back seat. But in the last 7 years I have been very fortunte to play much much more.

I think I am a pretty good golfer, I dress like a golfer, I take care of my clubs (spa days) I like to walk with my Clicgear and a little Sirius Radio with Classic Vinyl or Classic Rewind.  So a mix of wanting to play well, with a little bit I want to have some fun also and know that I will never make and money or win a senior tournament.  

The Golf Questions

I would like to see if I can notice any of the  feature and benefits actually happen to my game. I get to play often so that is a benefit. I also have a couple playing partners that I would like to get some of thier feed back on the ball.    

I want to commit to  playing as many rounds as possible with the Tour S balls. I normally play the other top notch balls such as Prov1, ChromeSoft, TP5x etc. So yes I am a ball snob. I don’t know why, but I am. I want to see how this ball compares to those ‘high end balls’  

I think what will give this ball a spot in my bag is cost, feel of the ball, do I notice any game improvements? I think if I play with any golf product I tend to stick with it and I hope this happens with this ball.  

Why are you excited about testing this product?

I am excited about testing  this product, because I think a lot of MGS and I take the reviews they do as the ‘holy grail’  of golf equipment.  I tell everyone that I golf with other than friends about MGS and if they are looking for a product that they should look at the website for a review. Why are you excited about testing this product?

What do you know about the product already?

I really didn’t know anything about the ball and to be honest I don’t have any MaxFli product in my bag.

What are your expectations?

I am expecting this ball to be just an okay ball. But I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

This is where my preconceived notions about the MaxFli product line will really be tested.  I have never had any of the companies product in my bag before and I think at my age, I really don’t care what others say. 

I am hoping that this will give me the  confidence in another ball. I would like to have something to play in the colder months that feel better. 

I have had ball fittings before at golf shows in the past, so I have some idea on what I am looking for.  

I really  hope this ball helps my game off the tee more than anything. I would like to see as it states on the box low driver spin. I would like to see a game improvement in that area. If this happens, I will defiently put this ball in my bag. 

I know all the golf ball manufacturers talk about is ball control, but I am very skeptical of this. Will this ball be the exepeption?  I sure hope so.  

As far as the other  F&B listed on the back of the box, I would be very happy to see some of those come true for my game.  

I would love to see some distance increase with this ball.    

I normally don’t spend a lot of time banging out balls on the range. I would much rather play and work on the course. 

As I mentioned before I play 2-4 times a week, but I am going to give a couple balls to my partners just to see or hear what they think of the ball without giving them too much information that could cloud their minds with minutiae.

So we are going to play this ball a lot in the coming weeks and see what everyone thinks of the ball and if they notice any game improvements. 

My first round was a little intiminating. Not because I hadn’t played in 3 days but that I had a different ball in my bag. As I mentioned I gave a ball to my playing partners to check out also.

At first I did not see the ball flight spin, that I was hoping. But it was the first round with the ball. I think we all were very impressed with the yardage increase off the tee box for sure. As mentioned one guy hits it 230ish and I am in the 220ish area and our last guy is in the 195ish area. 

We all did see some improvement in our yardage by 5 to 10 yards. But as it was much much warmer, so we were hoping for some increase and the ball lived up to that.

All three of us did notice something that we were not expecting was the sound of the ball off our irons. I have to tell you I felt like a big time golfer when I heard that sweet sounding of ball hitting iron!  I am pretty sure each one of us said they were extremely surprised with that.

I was also pleased with the spin that I had out of the couple bunkers I was in.  My other balls never really gave that to me, so I have to say I really liked that, and almost looked forward to getting into a bunker.  

Grading

I have to be honest as a golf ball snob, I was pleasantly surprised with the ball.  I thought the ball looked good, had a good feel to it and the alignment arrows were well done, not too much that they were obnoxious.

I would really feel comfortable giving this ball a  B+.

First Impressions 

My first impression of the ball was wow, this is better than I thought it would be.  I really liked the packaging, all the information on the box  was encouraging to a want to be better golfer. This gave me hope that I would see some game improvement from the ball.

I also really enjoyed the feel of the ball, it felt really good in my hand, I never had one that had a blemish from anything I hit such as a tree or bush. I try real hard not to hit those.

As I mentioned I gave my playing partners a couple balls to try. They liked the feel of the ball also, neither one of them had any blemish on their ball. They both thought that it was a much better golf ball than the old MaxFli balls that we all started playing with.

I would also like to point out that these two guys are pretty particular with the ball they ball, so it was encouraging to hear that they enjoyed playing with the ball.

The TourS has a 3 layers and I put that to the test, with a seven iron I hit towards the green looked down at my club and noticed all the white outer layer ball residue on my club face. I am so used to cleaning my clubs after every shot that I forgot to take a picture of the club face.

I showed it to my playing partner. As I picked up the ball there was no scuff mark, it felt as it was new. How that happened I will never understand.

The comparison chart was soft and it was very soft and I liked that ball flight not sure I really noticed that green side spin that was also big plus. Iron spin, that too was also very impressive. 

For the most part the ball delivered all except  the driver spin. But I really think that would work for me as I am a pretty good scrambler.

I would grade this overall at a 8+ 

Aesthetics 10 

Describe the following:

When I opened my box, I have to say I was surprised with the graphics on the MaxFli TourS box itself, It had a comparison of all three balls, I loved the picture of the ball cut away and what that meant to me. Again I never really looked at that much before when I bought balls at the store. The packaging  also felt like a much more expensive ball.

As far as durability  I have to give the TourS an A+, I never saw any nicks scuffs and that 7 iron with ball residue was remarkable. The ball had no sign of a scuff  or anything on it. Someone has to tell me how that can be? 

I also like the alignment lines, they were just the right amount and not too dark or bold. 

Another thing I liked about the ball was feel of the ball, it felt like a high end quality golf ball.

I think if they played around with some cool picture patterns like the TP5x and the Chrome Soft that has soccer balls 3 leaf clovers etc.  they surely would be into another ball market.

The ball felt very durable  when I would set it on a tee or just pick it up. I say that because I played the more expensive balls, so I was surprised.

Appearance/graphics/packaging

Short term/long term durability

Other unique details (ie. dimple pattern, alignment aid, etc)

How does it compare to other balls, beyond being round and white?

Describe (and show) the condition after hitting cart path, hitting an obstruction (tree, etc), a full wedge/iron shots, and a full round.

I can’t get over the sound and feel of the ball off the irons. I felt like a pro when I hit that ball, nice clean crisp “smack”!!!

It also had a good sound off the putter face that I liked, just like you know when you hit it well and the ball rolled perfectly and was so white and pretty!

Now off the driver I could not tell too much of a difference on sound or feel, maybe because that is such a violent act to swing hard and not really listen. And I could tell much from my playing partners either.

I never tried to push my finger nail into the cover or anything, but I got to believe it was soft. 

The Numbers  17+

I  would be very happy to use this ball versus my big name golf balls. I think I would tell people how I came to use this ball, by being a tester for MGS and how using it really changed my conseption of the MaxFli TourS ball.

I would probably compare this the the ChromeSoft and honestly I like this ball better and it is less expensive!.

I will say that I did hit the ball much longer than I was expecting. I do have a Garmin S62 so I would check my yardage. 

But I would also like to mention that it was warmer and the balls tend to fly a little longer than when cold. But I think what set this apart was the sound and feel of the ball off the club face.

On The Course  Grade 18

Here is where you will evaluate the overall use of the product.

Off the tee, is where I did not find much benefit as far as driver spin. But I did notice some distance gain and that is always a good thing.  It was still realatively easy to locate off the tee, and that was a good thing for me. 

As far as my normal ball I would have to say it was about the same off the tee

Now where I did find some improvement was my approach shots and out of the bunker! I has to say I have never had a ball that stuck to the green and also had so much spin out of a bunker than the TourS ball. I love it and I got a few “oh look at that spin” I wish I could switch balls from about 175 yards out, because I would love to see the results on the green.

I did notice that when using my driver my ball did bounce higher than normal. Was that because it was softer?

My approach and chipping I think improved, because of the feel and sound that the ball gave me. I think I could be more aggressive around the green because of this.

I also love the sound that the ball had off the putter. It had a soft feel but a firm contact. I think it was a great balence of firmness and softens with the putter.

I am not an arrow person. Meaning I don’t use the arrows to aim my ball at the hole. I would rather look down at a complete white ball and putt through the ball. That being said the aliagment arrows were not too large that they bother me. I know some are black and rather large and others have triple lines. This was a nice feature for me. 

As far as putting I think this ball fit all my requirements, just enough and not too much. 

I do believe the ball did help my putting. The main reason is the feel and the sound off the putter. That gave me confidence when I was standing over the ball.

The Good, the bad, the in between 16

The good about the ball that I enjoyed was the feel and sound, this made me feel like I was a professional golfer! I just love that sound of a well struck ball, you know you have hit it with the club face first and it didn’t sting in the hands or anything. 

I think I had a lot of shots like this and was very pleased with the results. 

I keep telling my partners you have to be committed to the shot and I think this ball gave me and them that feeling of being committed, because of the sound and feel.

I also like the feel of the ball in my hand. It has a nice slick but somewhat tacky feel. Hard to explain and maybe because they were so new?

I think that amount of print on the ball was very good, it didn’t distract you when you tee it up or when you are putting.

Play it or Trade it?  18+

I would defintely put this ball in my bag. Golf is a majority of confidence, and this ball gave me confidence! I think that it made me play better because I was evaluating it for MGS, but I still enjoyed it very much.

I almost don’t want to say this but I think they could possibly get more for this ball. 

I think a mid high handicap golfer 15-20 could and would benefit more from this ball.

I am going to continue to play and when I am out hopefuly this fall I will buy more.

Conclusion

If anything I think everyone should try the MaxFli TourS ball and or all the new balls that fit your game.The ball has a great sound and feel to it, that gives you confidence in the ball.

When you first open the box you will notice that it is well put together and has information on the back that should fit all type of golfers. When you put it in your hand you will notice that it feels good the urethane cover is smooth and yet a little tacky.

I will continue to play them!

IMG_5166.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

IMG_5167.jpg

IMG_5198.jpg

IMG_5199.jpg

IMG_5185.jpg

IMG_5164.jpg

IMG_5165.jpg

I Play in SW WA and in the PDX area

I like to walk, I have a Clicgear with all the accoutrements and I am considering getting a V2.

I also updated the thread with my Final Review, but I just wanted to say that I am so appreciative of Jamie and the team running this test. It's insane how many tests we have this year and how efficiently they are still run. As a past Mod, the current team running the forum is pure class.

As for my review, it's hard to express just how fun it was to put the Maxfli Tour S up against the Titleist AVX. Maxfli has done a superb job with the Tour balls.

• Driver: image.png.c67e4844d8a191f8afb6a4e307a65ffa.png Stealth 8* turned down to 6* X-Stiff, Graphite Design Tour AD XC-6
  • 3 Wood: image.png.a1548764b69c6d3406f6f9f1ab1acd22.png Sim 14* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver
  • 2 Iron/2 Hybrid: Mizuno image.png.e2dedc2a71191940659367b8fac460ef.png MP-20 HMB, Graphite Design Tour AD; image.png.f066373041037bed32d08e715a7127f2.png Forged Tec set to 17* X-Stiff, Catalyst 6.0
  • P-4 Irons: image.png.d0a79f435e2331981ac11a33dd54e77a.png MP20, Dynamic Gold X100 
  • Wedges:  image.png.5e4bb78c97a6cf70133b4dfd9b768747.png Vokey SM9 50 degree 08F, 56 degree 08M and 60 degree 08M
  • My Putter: image.png.dce9f23e6ed6368fab8361d0c072c157.png B.2, LA Golf Shaft
  • Ball: image.png.0ca81de9028caab738d4428af820440f.png AVX
  • 5.3 Handicapped; Right Hander; from Salt Lake City, Utah

• 2 weeks later...

Ready to give my thoughts on the Tour X. 

I purchased both the 21 version(by mistake lol) and then the new version.  For me the 21 version was the slight favorite. I could easily play either as they were almost identical in every way for me except on partial wedges. The 21 version was a 1 or 2 hop and check whereas the 23 version required playing slightly more roll out.  I also had the 21 version in Matte white vs the gloss of the 23 version.  I liked the 21 version enough I gave the boxes of vice pro soft to my BIL and will be grabbing more MaxFli Tour X Matte White 21 balls if I can find them.  

For the price the MaxFli ball is hard to beat. 

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I played the '23 Tour (not the Tour X) today for the first time after playing the '21 Tour for the past year. The balls seemed to perform the same. Didn't notice any difference on chipping or half-pitch shots, but will look specifically for this in future rounds as I have a few '21s left over and two dozen of the '23. Overall, I think I prefer the '21 matte finish compared to the glossier '23. Also, I do like the '21's alignment aid with the three stripes. The '23 ball just has a single, thin alignment aid. I know a lot of people didn't like the '21 three stripe because the stripes made it look like a range ball, but that never really bothered me. 

I agree that the Maxfli Tour series is hard to beat for the money. Though I wish they were offering the '23 in yellow (if they are I've been unable to find it online or at the Dick's near me).

Ping G400 Driver, Ping G410 3W & 5W, Cobra King F9 4h, Cobra King F9 irons (5 - GW), Cleveland CBX Wedges (54* and 60*), Odyssey Toe Up 1 Putter

I began my Maxfli tour conversion with the 21' Tour X. Absolutely loved the feel and performance of the ball but I was personally having trouble controlling my face at impact which lead me to think that the higher spin ball would likely contribute to my slice or draw compared to the lower spinning non-X Tour model. As a sucker for the bulk bargain which initially lead me to the Maxfli along with the MGS reviews I purchased the forty-eight pack of 23' Tour model balls and really began playing better golf a little more consistently. I thoroughly enjoy both models and remain a Maxfli devotee. That being said I recently began gaming the 21' Tour X model again and man what a ball is all I can say. I don't get a ton of spin on any of my chip shots so the Tour model and Tour X model play similar in that aspect for me but, the tee box is where I really see a difference in the two models. Just shot my all time low with a 39 front and 41 back with the Tour X.  I want to order some more 21' Tour X balls before they're unavailable especially after the 23' models recent review. I'm still shocked at how few members at my local play or know how good these Maxfli balls are.

Edited by Wel-Done
Correcting

Taylormade 2019 P790 irons 4-GW

Cobra LTDX Volition 10.5 

Cobra RadSpeed 3W & 5W

Odyssey Marksman 

3 hours ago, Wel-Done said:

I'm still shocked at how few members at my local play or know how good these Maxfli balls are

The same at my club.  

Ping G430 Max 10k 9° w/UST MP5 L-Flex

Ping G425 3 wood 14.5° w/Ventus Velocore Blue-6R tipped 1"

Cleveland Halo Launcher 5 wood 18° with Project X Cypher R

Callaway Rogue 19° hybrid regular

PXG Gen 3 0311XF 5 - G steel regular

Corey Paul wedges bent to 53° and 58°

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 11.5 putter

Alright, it's been a few weeks since the final reviews and around a dozen summer rounds. I have a couple of thoughts here as I near the end of my 2 dozen balls:

1. Despite being the brightest white I've ever seen on a golf ball, they still don't help with finding the ball when the rough, weeds, or woods are dense as can be. 
  2. I know at least one of the testers had questions on the durability of the balls. I've found that they hold up super well except when they hit the cart path, but I don't play scuffed balls based on the MGS ball labs.
  3. I honestly can't find a single thing wrong with playing these balls. I have about 100 used 5a AVX balls and will keep using those after I use the last Maxfli; when these runout and I'm forced to buy golf balls, though, it will be VERY difficult for me not to pull the trigger on the Maxflis.
  • Driver: image.png.c67e4844d8a191f8afb6a4e307a65ffa.png Stealth 8* turned down to 6* X-Stiff, Graphite Design Tour AD XC-6
  • 3 Wood: image.png.a1548764b69c6d3406f6f9f1ab1acd22.png Sim 14* X-Stiff, Aldila Rogue Silver
  • 2 Iron/2 Hybrid: Mizuno image.png.e2dedc2a71191940659367b8fac460ef.png MP-20 HMB, Graphite Design Tour AD; image.png.f066373041037bed32d08e715a7127f2.png Forged Tec set to 17* X-Stiff, Catalyst 6.0
  • P-4 Irons: image.png.d0a79f435e2331981ac11a33dd54e77a.png MP20, Dynamic Gold X100 
  • Wedges:  image.png.5e4bb78c97a6cf70133b4dfd9b768747.png Vokey SM9 50 degree 08F, 56 degree 08M and 60 degree 08M
  • My Putter: image.png.dce9f23e6ed6368fab8361d0c072c157.png B.2, LA Golf Shaft
  • Ball: image.png.0ca81de9028caab738d4428af820440f.png AVX
  • 5.3 Handicapped; Right Hander; from Salt Lake City, Utah

I’ve been scouring the inter-webs for 21 Tour x, to no avail. I’m a little sad that I won’t get to keep gaming these past this year.

Driver - Cobra LtDxLS

3 Wood - Ping g410 LST

2iron - Titleist U505

Irons - Ping i59

Wedges - Vokey Sm9

Putter - Mizuno Mcraft IV

I think you can only buy them from Dicks Sporting Goods. 

21 minutes ago, Micah T said:

I’ve been scouring the inter-webs for 21 Tour x, to no avail. I’m a little sad that I won’t get to keep gaming these past this year.

... As Preeway said, you can buy the '21 Maxfli X at Dicks online. Put 4 dozen at $39.99 in your cart and the price is reduced to $119.99

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

I thought I should add that I used the new tour x today for my epic game. The ball is a total gamer, regardless of price. Long with exceptional control and spin.

don’t be a dork, use em… actually, don’t they suck… leave em all for me

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

13 minutes ago, Sluggo42 said:

I thought I should add that I used the new tour x today for my epic game. The ball is a total gamer, regardless of price. Long with exceptional control and spin.

don’t be a dork, use em… actually, don’t they suck… leave em all for me

Have you tried the Tour and Tour S?  I used the Tour X last year and liked it very much.  When this year’s models came out I tried the Tour S and I love it,  It fits my game better; a little softer, slightly lower flight and more distance on our firm fairways; spin around greens is comparable.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

Have you tried the Tour and Tour S?  I used the Tour X last year and liked it very much.  When this year’s models came out I tried the Tour S and I love it,  It fits my game better; a little softer, slightly lower flight and more distance on our firm fairways; spin around greens is comparable.  

Used the Tour a lot, haven't tried the S. Not a fan of the softer balls...

Like the tour, LOVE the tour X

:titleist-small: TSr2 on tensi blue stiff

:cobra-small: Speedzone 3-wood on Tensi blue S

:callaway-logo-1: Epic Max 5 and 7 woods on HZRDUS  Reg flex

:callaway-logo-1: Paradym 9 wood on HZRDUS reg flex

:taylormade-small: P770 / P790 combo set on Ventus R-6 shafts 6-AW

:mizuno-small:  T22 Denim Copper 54°, 58° on Kinetic X Trajectory 

:EVNROLL: ER3 or,

:edel-golf-1: E.A.S. #4   (“Fang” or “Adele”)

:titelist-small: ProV1x, or, Maxfli Tour X

:callaway-small: .Org 14 cart bag

Adidas Tour 360 , or Sketcher shoes

On 5/9/2023 at 3:58 AM, cjeffs12 said:

If I did not play in tournaments, I think I could play this ball despite the cover issue. I just do not want to carry a dozen balls each round and must worry about if I will have enough or if I will have to play a scuffed ball.

Interesting POV here. I playbtournaments as well and have found the '21 model performed well for me in tournaments (X in warm weather and Tour in colder temperatures, below 60F is mostly my demarcation point), league play and practice rounds. I initially considered some of the concerns you point out  but played through them and didn't see any change in performance so I am confident playing with some wedge or bunker scuff, anything like road rash and I swap out balls.  I would humbly offer that playing a couple of rounds with those wedge/bunker scuffs and seeing if you find any performance difference may sway your consideration, or maybe not.

Cheers

• Driver - Ping G400 9°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 65 gr. 
  • FW - TM M3 3-wood 15°, Project-X HZRDUS Red 6.0 75 gr. mid-spin
  • Hybrid - TM M4 19°, Project-X Evenflow Black 6.0S 85 gr. HY 
  • Irons - TM P790, 3-PW, Oban CT-115, PXG 311 P Gen 6
  • Wedges - Mizuno T20 Ion blue 52/9 & 56/14, N.S. Pro Modus3 S-flex
  • Putter - Evnroll ER2 Garsen Max grip
  • Getting a grip - oversize Winn DryTacs and Bionic gloves
  • Ball - ProV1, AVX, Maxfli Tour, PXG
  • Bag(s)/cart - Vessel Player III Rovic RV1S and Alphard V2

6 minutes ago, Subdiver1 said:

I initially considered some of the concerns you point out  but played through them and didn't see any change in performance so I am confident playing with some wedge or bunker scuff, anything like road rash and I swap out balls.  I would humbly offer that playing a couple of rounds with those wedge/bunker scuffs and seeing if you find any performance difference may sway your consideration, or maybe not.

... Knowing the science, I just don't take any chances with my golf ball. Wedge cut, bunker/tree rash or any other disruption to the surface and I take it out of play. I certainly understand those that keep them in play but I start every round with a new ball and if it gets any cover damage, no matter how small, it goes in my donate to First Tee box. Although I have never done any testing, again I trust the science. The entire article is an interesting read but I quoted a key statement:  

"Most golf balls have between 300 and 500 dimples, which have an average depth of about 0.010 inch. The lift and drag forces on a golf ball are very sensitive to dimple depth: a depth change of 0.001 inch can produce a radical change to the ball's trajectory and the overall distance it can fly." 

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/how-do-dimples-in-golf-ba/