Testers Wanted! T Squared Putters ×

Smother hooks with my irons

MattNJGolfer

Hey guys. Been playing a long time. After 20 years finally took lessons. Many lessons lol. Turned my slice into a draw. But now my miss is a smother pull hook. I think it's a high right shoulder but I can't seem to fix it. Any suggestions to keep that rear shoulder low through impact?

PING G400 max 11°

Cobra F9 3 wood

Cobra F7 19° hybrid 

TM PSi Tour Forged 4-P

50, 54 cleveland zip groove 

58 Cobra snakebite 

Ping Anser 2

WANT NEW IRONS!

8 minutes ago, MattNJGolfer said:

Hey guys. Been playing a long time. After 20 years finally took lessons. Many lessons lol. Turned my slice into a draw. But now my miss is a smother pull hook. I think it's a high right shoulder but I can't seem to fix it. Any suggestions to keep that rear shoulder low through impact?

Have a swing video? 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I will take one my next round and post for you. Thanks very much! Seems like when I focus on low coming through I get too low and block it high right

PING G400 max 11°

Cobra F9 3 wood

Cobra F7 19° hybrid 

TM PSi Tour Forged 4-P

58 Cobra snakebite 

Ping Anser 2

WANT NEW IRONS!

35 minutes ago, MattNJGolfer said:

Yeah, without seeing a video of the swing, anything is speculative but I have a possibility. A lot of golfers, when fighting a fade will be told to bring the club more inside on the backswing, which help you swing more in to out, producing a draw. The problem lies in the transition. If you bring the club too far inside you can come in over the top, which will cause a massive hook. It causes a huge inside swing path with a shut clubface. Smoothing out the transition and focusing on trying to keep the club on plane, can help. 

Again, just speculative.  

I appreciate it.  My misses are literally starting low left and hooking more.  Very low pull hook. Will post a video asap

PING G400 max 11°

Cobra F9 3 wood

Cobra F7 19° hybrid 

TM PSi Tour Forged 4-P

58 Cobra snakebite 

Ping Anser 2

WANT NEW IRONS!

4 minutes ago, MattNJGolfer said:

I appreciate it.  My misses are literally starting low left and hooking more.  Very low pull hook. Will post a video asap

That sounds like the definition of coming over the top but would be happy to offer more feedback after the video is posted. 

12 minutes ago, MattNJGolfer said:

You are more than likely coming over the top and with a closed face. 

Im guessing that you aren’t turning properly on the swing, possibly even getting the club behind the hands in the takeaway. 

When you take the video do it from down the line with the camera at hand height and looking at the hands. 

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Go back to your teacher would be my suggestion. Without seeing your swing I have nothing else and even if I did what your teacher had would be better than what I have to offer. 

Depending upon how radical your swing changes are this could be part of the process. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

when I have done it before I was standing to close to the ball

Ping 430 Max H/L 10 Degree Geezer Flex

Ping 425 7 wood Geezer Flex

Ping 425 5H [Not in bag]

TM DHY 4/5

Titlist 5-Gap T300's Geezer Flex

Wedges Cleveland RTX Fullface Zipcore 52 degree and TM Hi Toe 4 56 degree

Putter Scotty Cameron Golo S Center Shafted

Ball Bridgestone BXS , Trying The Maxfli Tour S also

Bag Titlist 15 Cart Bag

11 hours ago, Fred Mitchell said:

when I have done it before I was standing to close to the ball

I’m usually standing too close to the ball….. after I hit it.  🤣

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

With all the proper admonishments, see a fitter, take a lesson, may cause anal leakage, see your doctor for an erection more lasting 4 hours……

I struggled with a hook with the irons. Especially during critical swings. With island greens on 9 and 18, I have ruined many good scores with a hook.  I recently learned that with my lead thumb on top of the shaft, I would increase grip pressure during the swing and totally dominate the face rotation with that thumb. By putting the thumb beside the shaft, when the grip pressure increases, it doesn’t hook. 

:ping-small: G430LST 10.5° on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Driver 

:ping-small: G430MAX 15°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Fairway 

:mizuno-small: ST190 18° on Graphite Design AD DJ 7S 

:ping-small: G425 22°  on     T P T    POWER 18 Hi Hybrid 

:ping-small: i525 5-U on :kbs: TGI 90S 

:titleist-small: SM8 54 & 60 on :kbs: Wedge 

:L.A.B.:DF2.1 on :accra: White

:titelist-small: ProV1  

:918457628_PrecisionPro: Precision Pro  NX7 Pro

All Iron grips are BestGrips Micro-Perforated Mid

On 6/6/2023 at 1:34 PM, MattNJGolfer said:

I’m a natural draw swing guy.  Inside out is just the way I do it.  When I struggle with hooks, it’s actually that I am too far away from the ball.  As I move further away, my already flat swing gets even flatter and I hit low right to left ropes.  This is great for recovery shots, but not so much from the middle of the fairway or off a par 3 tee box.  My correction is to flare my lead foot a bit and move in so my hands are beneath my shoulders at address.  The other thing I do is make sure my right shoulder goes below my chin on the downswing so I don’t come over the top and keep the club on line longer in the follow through.  Good luck.

:titleist-small: 917D2 driver

:callaway-small: 3 wood

:titleist-small: TS2 19 degree and 21 degree hybrids

:PXG:0211 5-GW irons

:ping-small: Glide 56 and 60 degree wedges

:odyssey-small: EXO7 putter :garsen: MAX grip

:titleist-small: Pro V1