Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Scotty Cameron DIY Paintfill - Have You Done It?

Getting a Scotty this week and wondering if anyone has experience with DIY paint fill? $78 to have the custom shop do it seems a bit steep, but I also don’t know how difficult it is. Lots of YouTube videos but I’d rather hear from forum members. Mainly wondering how challenging the lettering on the milled face would be? TIA!

Driver: :titleist-small: TSi3 9* Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 6X

Fairways: :cobra-small: Aerojet Max 3W & 7W MCA Kai'Li White 60 Stiff

Hybrid: :cobra-small: King TEC 3H MCA MMT 85g Stiff

Irons: :cobra-small: Aerojet 6-GW KBS $-taper Lite Stiff

Wedges: :cobra-small: Snakebite Black 52/56/60 Hi-Rev 2.0 Black Stiff

Putter: :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2.0

Ball: :maxfli: Tour X :titleist-small: ProV1x

#LeftyGang

Cobra 50th Anniversary Member Special Challenge (link here)

Unofficial FootJoy Hyperflex BOA 2023 Review

Unofficial Flightscope Mevo Review

I did some paintfill a couple of year ago and it was fairly easy, albeit a little time consuming. It was a whole set from 2-PW. 

I took the paint off using Citri-Strip, rubbing it in with a cloth and letting it sit. Most of it came off easy and if I had any left over, I think I got it out with a toothpick. 

I then used another toothpick to paint the lettering with Testors paint I picked up at an art supply store and once I let it dry for a while I used Mineral Spirits on a cloth to wipe off the excess. 

You can find the thread here, go to page 10 for the details.

I don't know how difficult it would be with the milled face as I would worry about paint getting into the milling and being hard to remove. I would say there's probably a workaround to it, but I don't have a clue off the top of my head Jason.

I wish you the best of luck if you do try it, I can only imagine it will look good. 

2 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

Getting a Scotty this week and wondering if anyone has experience with DIY paint fill? $78 to have the custom shop do it seems a bit steep, but I also don’t know how difficult it is. Lots of YouTube videos but I’d rather hear from forum members. Mainly wondering how challenging the lettering on the milled face would be? TIA!

I've paintfilled a few putters and it is as easy as the videos show.  here is an article that gives some good tips.   

https://drivingrangeheroes.com/how-to-paintfill-golf-clubs/

Use the toothpick;  or your can splurge for a paint applicator ( https://gauntindustries.com/blog/hobby-feature-golf-club-paint-fill-applicator/ )

When filling the letters you will get some in the milling;  but just cleanup with some acetone.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

23 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I did some paintfill a couple of year ago and it was fairly easy, albeit a little time consuming. It was a whole set from 2-PW. 

I took the paint off using Citri-Strip, rubbing it in with a cloth and letting it sit. Most of it came off easy and if I had any left over, I think I got it out with a toothpick. 

I then used another toothpick to paint the lettering with Testors paint I picked up at an art supply store and once I let it dry for a while I used Mineral Spirits on a cloth to wipe off the excess. 

You can find the thread here, go to page 10 for the details.

I don't know how difficult it would be with the milled face as I would worry about paint getting into the milling and being hard to remove. I would say there's probably a workaround to it, but I don't have a clue off the top of my head Jason.

I wish you the best of luck if you do try it, I can only imagine it will look good. 

5 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I've paintfilled a few putters and it is as easy as the videos show.  here is an article that gives some good tips.   

https://drivingrangeheroes.com/how-to-paintfill-golf-clubs/

Use the toothpick;  or your can splurge for a paint applicator ( https://gauntindustries.com/blog/hobby-feature-golf-club-paint-fill-applicator/ )

When filling the letters you will get some in the milling;  but just cleanup with some acetone.

Thanks, guys! Knew I would get some affirming feedback here. Even better that it comes from two guys I trust well! Will probably look at giving it a go, worst comes to worst I can wipe it off and try again. Would be $120+ with shipping for Scotty Customs! 😱

#LeftyGang

@cnosil how did you avoid pulling paint from the letters on the face when you used the acetone to clean up the milling? Or did you just wait so long letting it dry before going back to touch it up?

#LeftyGang

Just now, Jnoble89 said:

Thanks, guys! Knew I would get some affirming feedback here. Even better that it comes from two guys I trust well! Will probably look at giving it a go, worst comes to worst I can wipe it off and try again. Would be $120+ with shipping for Scotty Customs! 😱

Personally speaking,  Cameron services are a ripoff.  Easy enough to do yourself,  but if you don't want to DIY there are a ton of companies that do it for way less.  

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

1 minute ago, Jnoble89 said:

@cnosil how did you avoid pulling paint from the letters on the face when you used the acetone to clean up the milling? Or did you just wait so long letting it dry before going back to touch it up?

You let it dry before touch up.  You apply acetone with a q-tip or drip with a toothpick and carefully remove the overfill.   The fill in the letters is deeper than the milling so you won't remove all the paint and you don't need a lot of pressure.   Just go slow. 

11 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Personally speaking,  Cameron services are a ripoff.  Easy enough to do yourself,  but if you don't want to DIY there are a ton of companies that do it for way less.  

What are some of the companies that also do it that you know of? I was trying to do some google searching but failed miserably for the most part. I think 2nd Swing does it? Thinking I’ll do the DIY, but also wouldn’t mind some stamping too. Overboard, I know 🤣

#LeftyGang

8 minutes ago, Jnoble89 said:

What are some of the companies that also do it that you know of? I was trying to do some google searching but failed miserably for the most part. I think 2nd Swing does it? Thinking I’ll do the DIY, but also wouldn’t mind some stamping too. Overboard, I know 🤣

Here are a few:

https://www.instagram.com/bos_golf/

https://putterlounge.com/

https://www.chisdaddygolf.com/

https://www.continentalgolf.net/

https://jrich61820.wixsite.com/mysite

https://eastcoastcustomputters.com/

I've got some experience with this myself, I've paint filled a few wedge sets and a couple of putters. Here's my old, old thread on my first wedge set. I know it's not a putter, but it's a paint fill process nonetheless lol.

Highly recommend Testors paint or the paint markers, they make things super easy. Below is my stash of items that I've used before. It's a pretty simple process, and costs a heck of a lot less. Plus, you can always go back and change things up if you get bored. Also, like you said, if you mess it up you can just wipe it clean and try again.

If you REALLY want to spend some money on customization or just need some inspiration, check out https://www.embraceputters.com/gallery. I had them do one of my Scotty's in the Rainbow PVD and it turned out pretty sweet.

unnamed.jpg.efcef36e4b85d33fe40c94e432e04f8c.jpg

Driver:            :cobra-small: Aerojet 9* | Hzrdus Black Gen 4
Fairway:         :ping-small: G410 3W 13* | Alta CB 65
Hybrid:           :titleist-small: TS2 18* | Tensei AV Blue 70 S
Hybrid:           :ping-small: iCrossover 20* | Kai'li White 80
Irons:              :taylormade-small: P790 5-PW | DG S300
Wedges:         :titleist-small: Vokey SM9 | 52, 56, 60 | DG S200
Putter:            :L.A.B.: Link.1 | Accra x LAB

--- LAB Golf Link.1 Review ---

2 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

@Jnoble89 when you paint the letters, etc. there may be some excess. I typically let it dry and use acetone on a cotton ball or a small piece of cloth to wipe away the excess. Don't use a lot of pressure and attempt to get it all at once, and you should be able to remove the excess easily while still retaining the paint in the lettering.

Testors model paint (enamel) is another choice which will also allow you many colors to choose from.

Take your time for best results. 

Driver & Fairway: :titleist-small: Titleist TSR3 10 degree - :Fuji: Ventus TR Blue & :titleist-small: TSR3 15 - :projectx: Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 

Hybrid: :callaway-small: Callaway Apex UW 19 - :projectx: Hzrdus Smoke Black

Irons: :titleist-small: Titleist T200 3G (4) & T150 - (5-G) - :projectx: Project X LZ 

Wedges: :vokey-small: Vokey SM8 54, and 58

Putter: :cameron-small: Cameron Phantom X 7

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 & :maxfli: Maxfli Tour

8 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

I got some acrylic paint pens and actually did two putters. They were really cheap and worked great. I even did some of my older wedges and next up are the sub79 659s. Was easy to do and looks good!

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

Many times. The secret is nail polish, a toothpick and nail polish remover. Its a very strong enamel thats water resistant and easy to work with or remove if any errors are made. Dont use the brush, dip toothpick in polish and dot it little by little. Let dry, use a razor or a q tip with nail polish remover/acetone to clean it up.

Driver : Exotics EXS Pro with with Diamana 'ahina 70 stiff

3 Wood : Yamaha RMX 15* with Evenflow Green Stiff

7 Wood: Yonex Ezone with UST Comp stiff

5 Hybrid : PXG 3017x (2nd gen) w KBS Tour Graphite Stiff

Utility Iron: Srizon ZX 23* w MMT 85 stiff

6-gw Matlby TS3 w MMT 85 stiff

52* / 58* Vokey SM7 w Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter: PRGR Silver Blade Wide Blade slant

Sun Mountain C130 Bag

I've been doing custom paint jobs on putters and clubs for years. I find that the Tamaya Enamel paints seem to work best. I like using needle applicators for fine fill. You can get them on amazon. 

Here are some examples. 

Back.jpg

Sole.jpg

wedge.jpg

Driver:  :titleist-small:  TSi2 9*  :Fuji: Ventus Black 6S

Fairway: :titleist-small: TSi2 15*  :Fuji: Speeder Evo III 70S

Utility: :titleist-small: T-200 3 Iron  :Fuji: Ventus Blue HB-8S

Irons: :titleist-small: 620CB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 4-6

Irons:  :titleist-small: 620MB w/ :truetemper: DGTI X100 7-PW

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM9 50/08F 56/12S 60/04T

Putter:  :scotty-cameron-1: Super Select Newport 2+ 34" 

Ball: :titleist-small: Pro V1 #31 (Currently Ball Testing)

14 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

Customs-hop  was ever cheap.  It's their business model.  The owner learned that business trait before he got famous and popular.  

Use good quality paint, clean up the cavity really well prior to applying new paint.  Have fun. 

24 minutes ago, Rosey31 said:

I've been doing custom paint jobs on putters and clubs for years. I find that the Tamaya Enamel paints seem to work best. I like using needle applicators for fine fill. You can get them on amazon. 

Here are some examples. 

Back.jpg

Sole.jpg

wedge.jpg

Love it! Definitely going to give it a go myself and was looking at Tamaya paints and the applicators already. 

Also even though it’s over the top would love to do some stamping or even a laser engraving of a custom logo 🤣 but I don’t have those skills, that would need to be done professionally. 

#LeftyGang

Stamping isn't too difficult to do. You just need to practice and get good quality tools. I choose not to stamp as I often trade in wedges. If you want the see through look get the Tamaya lacquer paint clear versions.  

1 hour ago, Rosey31 said:

Stamping isn't too difficult to do. You just need to practice and get good quality tools. I choose not to stamp as I often trade in wedges. If you want the see through look get the Tamaya lacquer paint clear versions.  

Definitely like the transparent look of the colors on the Scotty website so that is the way I am leaning. Thanks for the input! With the Scotty, my plan is to game it (as long as it fits my stroke well) and then hand it down to my oldest son one day, as he's also a lefty, if he continues his interest in golf (he's only 6 now). 

#LeftyGang

18 hours ago, TSauer said:

I've got some experience with this myself, I've paint filled a few wedge sets and a couple of putters. Here's my old, old thread on my first wedge set. I know it's not a putter, but it's a paint fill process nonetheless lol.

Highly recommend Testors paint or the paint markers, they make things super easy. Below is my stash of items that I've used before. It's a pretty simple process, and costs a heck of a lot less. Plus, you can always go back and change things up if you get bored. Also, like you said, if you mess it up you can just wipe it clean and try again.

If you REALLY want to spend some money on customization or just need some inspiration, check out https://www.embraceputters.com/gallery. I had them do one of my Scotty's in the Rainbow PVD and it turned out pretty sweet.

unnamed.jpg.efcef36e4b85d33fe40c94e432e04f8c.jpg

Dude @TSauer those wedges turned out INCREDIBLE! Definitely will be looking into the needle point paint bottles as it looks like it'll help keep it more tidy as far as excess paint. After doing some digging, I found a guy who is actually based in Northern Wisconsin that does custom paint fill and laser engraving on putters and wedges. His IG is Sick Sticks Golf. Waiting to hear back on how much he charges, but either way I may send it to him for the engraving if he can do it on the face and I'm gonna put Mac Boucher's "Lefty Gang Golf" logo that was on the Primo hoodies on there (as long as there are no copyright issues). Then if he doesn't charge too much extra for paint fill, will just have him do that while he's got it.

#LeftyGang

1 hour ago, Jnoble89 said:

Dude @TSauer those wedges turned out INCREDIBLE! Definitely will be looking into the needle point paint bottles as it looks like it'll help keep it more tidy as far as excess paint. After doing some digging, I found a guy who is actually based in Northern Wisconsin that does custom paint fill and laser engraving on putters and wedges. His IG is Sick Sticks Golf. Waiting to hear back on how much he charges, but either way I may send it to him for the engraving if he can do it on the face and I'm gonna put Mac Boucher's "Lefty Gang Golf" logo that was on the Primo hoodies on there (as long as there are no copyright issues). Then if he doesn't charge too much extra for paint fill, will just have him do that while he's got it.

Oh, that'll be awesome if he can do all that! Hopefully there aren't any issues with the logo, because that'll be sweet. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out!

I wonder if I can get the Link engraved 🤔

23 minutes ago, TSauer said:

Oh, that'll be awesome if he can do all that! Hopefully there aren't any issues with the logo, because that'll be sweet. Looking forward to hearing how it turns out!

I wonder if I can get the Link engraved 🤔

I would imagine you could! I think engraving on the milled face shouldn't be an issue, but I will see what he says. I messaged Mac & the LGG IG page but haven't gotten a response lol so if I don't get one, I'm just going for it haha.

#LeftyGang

I've done it on wedges.  Used automotive paint pens, a little more expensive than Testers paint, but I had them laying around.  Also I've seen a kit on IG but unfortunately I don't have the link to it. It's not difficult to do.  

Titleist 712 MBs PXG 3w Scotty Golo

Titleist ProV1x

@TSauer update: LGG logo is definitely doable but he wants me to get permission to use it first lol so trying to do that. For deep engraving it’s $65 which I don’t think is THAT bad and then to have him paint fill would be another $24.99 plus shipping both ways. Probably will do the fill myself since I can buy the supplies for much less. Now just gotta get approval for the LGG logo 🤞🏻🔥

#LeftyGang

5 hours ago, Jnoble89 said:

@TSauer update: LGG logo is definitely doable but he wants me to get permission to use it first lol so trying to do that. For deep engraving it’s $65 which I don’t think is THAT bad and then to have him paint fill would be another $24.99 plus shipping both ways. Probably will do the fill myself since I can buy the supplies for much less. Now just gotta get approval for the LGG logo 🤞🏻🔥

That is awesome! I hope Mac ends up responding to you and approves it. That's the perfect logo for a southpaw putter!

• 3 months later...
On 9/26/2023 at 10:30 AM, Rosey31 said:

Here are some examples. 

Back.jpg

Sole.jpg

wedge.jpg

I’m trying to customize my Special Select Newport and having issues filling the buttons (like the top picture) and not having it looking messy. What’s your secret for clean paint fill?