Forum Member Reviews: Callaway Whitebox Testing

1 minute ago, MuniGolfer said:

The Tour is actually a completely different ball than the old LS. It’s lower compression, new dimple pattern, and a softer feeling cover. 

... Marketing 😉. The Chrome Tour is the LS replacement so it is far from a completely different ball. Yes, it has upgrades to the dimple design (as does the Soft and X) and a little lower compression but you don't replace a successful ball in your line up with a completely different ball, you just tweak it a little. I expect to see some minor differences with the Chrome Tour compared to the LS when this years MGS test is released but overall I think they will be very similar. The LS is the only Callaway I have played and it was very successful on Tour so I don't see Callaway changing the formula much at all.  

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... AutoFlex Dream 7 SF405
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        G430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 4-9i ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small:     MG3 46*/50*/54* MG4 58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:          :taylormade-small:     '24 TP5x/Maxfli Tour X 

5 hours ago, TG8 said:

Lots of mention on quick wear.  I have not noticed that these callaway balls have wore out any quicker than a prov1 or taylormade tour response. 

Same. I have actually noticed the opposite on both balls. Played another 18 outdoors yesterday and did not find any issues with the cover. 

IMG_4417.jpeg.b08449eb9ee9d6364043c89ccd7b7943.jpegIMG_4414.jpeg.2d114c360aa1d5169704d6bc9b6874f4.jpeg

One thing I did notice in difference on this round vs the prior outdoor testing is that the Chrome Tour X did not spin as much as the prior round. Course played this time around was Kettle Hills GC. Greens here are typically quite firm and can run fast. They did recently sand and fertilize so it was quite slow compared to their normal mid-summer conditions. Also, I did notice a little more pop / yardage on a few shots. Particularly mid iron shots. My 7 iron was getting a little more height and carry with the Callaway VS my Sirxon Z Star XV. 

D-Titleist TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w-Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB-Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons-4-PW Toura Golf JCB Japan Forged CB w/ TrueTemper S100 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

3 hours ago, TG8 said:

In my review I have data on the old chrome soft x ls if interested in looking.  It launched high and spun low with driver making it long! But ball speeds with the new chrome tour were higher. 

I will check that for sure

Driver: Ping G425 LST, Otto Phlex UST MP5 or GD AD-TP 6X

3 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@16 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder

5 Wood: Nike Covert Tour (@20 deg), Fujikura Motore Speeder 

4i Hybrid: Titleist 913h (@24 deg), Diamana Blue Board hybrid

Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-6) & P770 (7-AW), KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 1x)

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

Putter: Sacks Parente 91 aka "The Duke", 34 inches

Ball: Taylormade TP5

2 hours ago, chisag said:

... Marketing 😉. The Chrome Tour is the LS replacement so it is far from a completely different ball. Yes, it has upgrades to the dimple design (as does the Soft and X) and a little lower compression but you don't replace a successful ball in your line up with a completely different ball, you just tweak it a little. I expect to see some minor differences with the Chrome Tour compared to the LS when this years MGS test is released but overall I think they will be very similar. The LS is the only Callaway I have played and it was very successful on Tour so I don't see Callaway changing the formula much at all.  

You are correct there. It fits a similar place, it just performs a little differently, from my experience. It is lower spinning than the Tour x for sure. So far, the x has been faster.

Wedges: Taylormade MG3 TW grind 56 (@55) & 60, KBS C-Taper 130x (Soft-stepped 2x)

With the testing why not have others hit the balls to see what they think.  Had a fellow member give it a try.  He normal does NOT play Callaway.  Gave him the chance to see what the new Callaway is about.  It was a hole that it is a tight tee shot and over a pond.  He was impress with how he was able to hit a straight shot.  He liked how it felt coming off the club face.  His next shot, he tried to play a very high lob shot over a tree and just missed clearing the tree on the last branch.  It was a shot that he would not try.  He liked that all around play if the ball.  

Let another golf buddy give it a shot, who used to play the Chrome Soft.  He switched to Pro V1 because the Callaway Chrome Soft is too soft for his liking.  So why not let him try the ball out.  He liked how it is comes off the club and that it is not as soft as the Chrome Soft.  I not sure though it was enough to convince him to play the Tour.  

As for me, the weather is getting nice and the shanks are coming out of hibernation!  I still like how I hit the ball with less of the side spin.  My short game has improved, just have to remember what I am doing to continue this game.  Also considering getting the 4 dozen pack of Tours to have on hand for important rounds!  If the Tours were anything like the Soft's, I wouldn't even been thinking about it.   There has been an improvement on how I have been thinking of playing my golf game.  

This has been informative to myself and pushed me to try things that I would not try or do normally.

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ...Driver: Taylor Made Stealth 10.5*

Mizuno Irons: JPX 923 Tour

Irons: Proto Rose

Ladies Golf Balls - Titleist Golf Logo Clipart (#110861) - PinClipartWedges: SM7 52.08; SM6 60.04

Cleveland Golf Png & Free Cleveland Golf.png Transparent Images ...Wedges: Zip core: 54, and 58 

Callaway Golf Wedge: Jaws 50

Salisbury New Taylormade M1 Demo - Tailor Made Logo Png Clipart ... Putter: Platinum S

Odyssey putter: Jail Bird

12 hours ago, Ryan Luke said:

Same for me and in fact I feel like they have lasted better overall than my ProV1x's but at least as good so far.  I played a Chrome Tour X for 31 holes before I lost that ball and it was still in great shape.  I played a Chrome Tour for 24 holes and it was equally in good shape.  I have been very impressed with both Chrome Tour options so far and this will all be in my review addtions. 

I’ve noticed they wear better than the Pro V1s

I could play golf every day and learn something new each time.

Driver: Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft; I TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Newton 5 Dot 

Hybrids: PXG 0317 17*, 19* Steadfast S Jupiter shafts, PXG 211 22*-Project X Even Flow Riptide X shafts

Irons: New Level 6-PW 902PD 6.5 ProjectX IO shafts

Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM10 48, 52; TaylorMade MG4 56* (TW Grind)

Putter: SeeMore Black MiniGiant

Ball: Titleist Pro V1X or Callaway Chrome TourX

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

I made the switch! 
IMG_4152.jpeg.1ef38786081580bf389b3573821ff28a.jpeg

testing these balls caused me to switch. 

Driver: Ping 425-6 Dot Newton tipped 45" shaft; I TaylorMade 11.5* Mini Newton 5 Dot 

Hybrids: PXG 0317 17*, 19* Steadfast S Jupiter shafts, PXG 211 22*-Project X Even Flow Riptide X shafts

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63746-motocaddy-m-series-carts-2024-forum-member-review/?do=findComment&comment=1042686

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63748-bridgestone-mindset-golf-ball-testing-sampling-and-shot-scope-ops/?do=findComment&comment=1046248

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/62621-forum-member-reviews-callaway-whitebox-testing/?do=findComment&comment=1020558

3 hours ago, Wicki said:

With the testing why not have others hit the balls to see what they think.  Had a fellow member give it a try.  He normal does NOT play Callaway.  Gave him the chance to see what the new Callaway is about.  It was a hole that it is a tight tee shot and over a pond.  He was impress with how he was able to hit a straight shot.  He liked how it felt coming off the club face.  His next shot, he tried to play a very high lob shot over a tree and just missed clearing the tree on the last branch.  It was a shot that he would not try.  He liked that all around play if the ball.  

Let another golf buddy give it a shot, who used to play the Chrome Soft.  He switched to Pro V1 because the Callaway Chrome Soft is too soft for his liking.  So why not let him try the ball out.  He liked how it is comes off the club and that it is not as soft as the Chrome Soft.  I not sure though it was enough to convince him to play the Tour.  

As for me, the weather is getting nice and the shanks are coming out of hibernation!  I still like how I hit the ball with less of the side spin.  My short game has improved, just have to remember what I am doing to continue this game.  Also considering getting the 4 dozen pack of Tours to have on hand for important rounds!  If the Tours were anything like the Soft's, I wouldn't even been thinking about it.   There has been an improvement on how I have been thinking of playing my golf game.  

This has been informative to myself and pushed me to try things that I would not try or do normally.

Check out my review. I did have a fellow MGS help with the test. @Derek Eskam had at least 4 sessions with the test. Glad he helped out! He smashes the ball!

Edited by Erin B
Missing word

SIM testing I have really liked the CTX. Grabbed a sleeve today with true track and will test them on course next week. Right now they are right there with the Z Star Diamond with a slight edge as they have been just a little lower spinning on the driver. I am leaning towards getting them on the current buy 3 get one deal. I also like they are made in the USA which is another thing in their favor. 

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

31 minutes ago, ZackS said:

SIM testing I have really liked the CTX. Grabbed a sleeve today with true track and will test them on course next week. Right now they are right there with the Z Star Diamond with a slight edge as they have been just a little lower spinning on the driver. I am leaning towards getting them on the current buy 3 get one deal. I also like they are made in the USA which is another thing in their favor. 

The Chrome Tour X is where I landed. The Chrome Tour is no slouch though. 

5 hours ago, Wicki said:

I gave my brother and another player a ball to use the other day for our round.  My one buddy hit a tree early on and it got scuffed up pretty bad (see the pic in my post), so he switched back to his usual ball.  But my brother played the entire round with it.  He liked the ball and played well, thought it was just as good as the ProV1's that he usually plays.  But it only lasted him one round, pretty dinged up at the end (see pics in post as well).  

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

2 hours ago, Erin B said:

The Chrome Tour X is where I landed. The Chrome Tour is no slouch though. 

Yeah, the tour is just a little too low spin with 7 iron I was getting 5800 to 6000 with it. It goes a little further because of that, but would get fliers much easier. The X I was in the mid to high 6000s

WITB:

Driver: Titleist TSR3 :titleist-small: with TPT Nitro 15Hi 

5 wood: Calloway Paradym Triple Diamond :callaway-small: with TPT Power 15Lo

Driving Iron: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Ti-Utility :tour-edge:

Hybrid: PXG 0317X Gen2 hybrid :PXG: with TPT Power 15Lo

Irons: Takomo 101T :Takomo: with Nippon Modus 120 shafts :Nippon:

Wedges: Celveland RTX4 50 Degree, Calloway Jaws Raw 58 degree Z grind and 54 degree S grind

Putter: Edel EAS 4.0 :edel-golf-1:

Ball: Srixon Z Star Diamond / Z Star XV :srixon-small:

Official 2024 TPT Shaft Test

6 hours ago, ZackS said:

Yeah, the tour is just a little too low spin with 7 iron I was getting 5800 to 6000 with it. It goes a little further because of that, but would get fliers much easier. The X I was in the mid to high 6000s

I was getting those spin results from the X with a 7 iron. For me the Tour spin was more. @Derek Eskam got the same results I did. 

2 hours ago, Erin B said:

I was getting those spin results from the X with a 7 iron. For me the Tour spin was more. @Derek Eskam got the same results I did. 

Can I ask what launch monitor you were using? Also did you throw out any mishits from the data? 

WITB

6 minutes ago, TG8 said:

Can I ask what launch monitor you were using? Also did you throw out any mishits from the data? 

We did throw out bad shots, and I believe it was Trackman. I used to have the paper we were using to keep the data, but did some spring cleaning with the wife last week during our Covid prison sentence and threw it out. We actually tried it in two different sims, both trackman. I wonder if my balls were mis-marked. Anyway, I liked both on the course. The X was longer for me, and both played the green well.

26 minutes ago, Erin B said:

We did throw out bad shots, and I believe it was Trackman. I used to have the paper we were using to keep the data, but did some spring cleaning with the wife last week during our Covid prison sentence and threw it out. We actually tried it in two different sims, both trackman. I wonder if my balls were mis-marked. Anyway, I liked both on the course. The X was longer for me, and both played the green well.

Cool just curious. Not doubting your data.  We all have unique swings so its super cool to see opposite results.  Just shows you should do ball testing/fittings. 

WITB

1 hour ago, TG8 said:

Cool just curious. Not doubting your data.  We all have unique swings so its super cool to see opposite results.  Just shows you should do ball testing/fittings. 

I was doubting my data which is why I asked Derek to help out. It is curious but I have seen a couple others have the same results. When we were testing in the sim, the Chrome Tour was an absolute dog. It felt heavy and lifeless. No pop to it. On the course it played different, still not as lively as the X but it did perform. Like I said in my final review, I hated it in the sim, liked it on the course, and would buy it to play on shorter courses. 

Here are the latest pics of the balls after 4 sim sessions. The black/slight paint removal from hitting the top net with a lob wedge does not seem to affect playability at all. Still very smooth.

IMG_1922.jpeg.1f08b4fc12519ebd3beb3b7fd246bdf4.jpeg

IMG_1919.jpeg.0b5489c2f64cf3e6780ddd70cdadbe6e.jpeg

IMG_1920.jpeg.bc95b16d55a25cf6c2f43a2d792aaf30.jpeg

IMG_1921.jpeg.482e402acb9716ea80dbed947c7295ec.jpeg

IMG_1918.jpeg.30eac2e76516dac2be308603eef306cb.jpeg

IMG_1917.jpeg.1852a3002628955ffd913d1899c92e53.jpeg

IMG_1923.jpeg

21 minutes ago, MuniGolfer said:

Here are the latest pics of the balls after 4 sim sessions. The black/slight paint removal from hitting the top net with a lob wedge does not seem to affect playability at all. Still very smooth.

IMG_1923.jpeg

I am really surprised by the wear on the ball in these pics. I have been using the same Chrome Tour for Sim time for the past 5 sessions and have not seen wear like that at all. Hate to ask, but do you by chance have dirty grooves on some clubs? That would cause discoloration and potentially scuffs on the cover. 

D-Titleist TSR2 w Mitsubishi Tensei 50g Stiff 

5w-Titleist TSI w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 65g Stiff

HYB-Titleist TSi 21* w/ Mitsubishi Diamana 65g Stiff

Irons-4-PW Toura Golf JCB Japan Forged CB w/ TrueTemper S100 

Wedges - Cleveland RTX ZipCore 52/10 56/12 60/8 w/ TrueTemper T100

Putter - Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 1.5

Ball - Sirxon Z Star XV

21 minutes ago, JRDuck40 said:

I am really surprised by the wear on the ball in these pics. I have been using the same Chrome Tour for Sim time for the past 5 sessions and have not seen wear like that at all. Hate to ask, but do you by chance have dirty grooves on some clubs? That would cause discoloration and potentially scuffs on the cover. 

New wedges and lots of wedge shots? 

WITB

52 minutes ago, Erin B said:

I was doubting my data which is why I asked Derek to help out. It is curious but I have seen a couple others have the same results. When we were testing in the sim, the Chrome Tour was an absolute dog. It felt heavy and lifeless. No pop to it. On the course it played different, still not as lively as the X but it did perform. Like I said in my final review, I hated it in the sim, liked it on the course, and would buy it to play on shorter courses. 

I always wonder if I get one of those bad balls the mgs headquarter testers talk about in ball reviews. Paranoid 😂

WITB

37 minutes ago, JRDuck40 said:

It was caused by hitting the nets above the simulator. I think the nets are fairly dirty in the facility I am a member of. I hit the net with some lob wedge shots, so lots of spin as they hit. I find all the balls in the net only area of the facility get this black stuff on them fairly quick. The balls themselves actually have no real damage that would make them unplayable. Just the black that won’t come off the high edges of the dimples. If I hadn’t hit it high enough to climb above the screen, these balls have the tiniest marks ONLY, after 4 simulator sessions.

1 hour ago, MuniGolfer said:

IMG_1923.jpeg

It actually looks like the dimples have flattened a bit in those pics

WITB-Foremost 551's - 3w, 5w, 5-SW (circa 1998), Top Flite 460cc Driver, Adam's 7w, Warrior GW and 60⁰, Odyssey AI-One DB putter.

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

34 minutes ago, TG8 said:

I always wonder if I get one of those bad balls the mgs headquarter testers talk about in ball reviews. Paranoid 😂

I know! One time I ordered two dozen OnCore balls and one sleeve didn't have OnCores in them. They had a Titleist Pro V1 and two Pinnacles. I immediately reached out. OnCore was embarrassed but made it right. They sent me 2 dozen more. But it makes you wonder. One of the Pinnacles was yellow even.

3 minutes ago, Erin B said:

I know! One time I ordered two dozen OnCore balls and one sleeve didn't have OnCores in them. They had a Titleist Pro V1 and two Pinnacles. I immediately reached out. OnCore was embarrassed but made it right. They sent me 2 dozen more. But it makes you wonder. One of the Pinnacles was yellow even.

That is comical how bad they messed that up! LOL

WITB

21 minutes ago, Rob Person said:

It actually looks like the dimples have flattened a bit in those pics

I will try to take some more pics and inspect them further, but I don’t think so. It is possible though. That said, I still haven’t noticed much wear and tear from normal play. I would say those nets are an extreme circumstance.

Review Part 3: Pitching and Chipping

The VENUE:
The weather finally broke here in Pittsburgh and I was able to get out to our local Par 3/Pitch and Putt/Driving Range/Putt-Putt facility. The infamous Scally's Golf Center! 
IMG_1298Medium.jpeg.a72518234eb81d5670f82c3de51b5702.jpeg

A little about Scally's. They have a two Par 3 courses, a Mini Golf course, and a Driving Range. It was built in the 50's and has been in service to the Pittsburgh area for decades. It's a classic.

If you get a chance, check out this golf show on Amazon Prime called "Mulligan"  > https://www.amazon.com/MULLIGAN/dp/B082YJK21D. They use Scally's as the location for this show (which only ended up with one episode i guess?). I watched it.. and that's all I will say about that. 😉

The "TEST"
For this part of the test I compared my gamer ball, the Titleist AVX, against the Chrome Tour and Chrome Tour X....obviously... that's why we're here right? Anyway, I wanted to see how these balls performed with pitching and chipping around the green. I will admit I went into this thinking I would test Putting also, but after a couple holes I realized that the putting test wasn't worth it because these "greens" run at like a 4 on the stimp meter and they just aerated, sooooo yeah. I mean just look at how furry those greens are. 
IMG_1274Medium.jpeg.3b1236b3c7c95cf0e75026c6033b0c9c.jpegIMG_1294Medium.jpeg.dbe8385f597b1bc25afee8439406e005.jpeg

The Tools
The Pitch and Putt course at Scally's is a very short course with the average hole distance being about 60 yards. I felt this was perfect distance for me to take just two clubs with me. My sandwedge and my Putter, aka "The Joker". 

IMG_1292Medium.jpeg.6be9e192619032f98dba113b30766189.jpeg

The Results
Needless to say, it was a fun, quick round around this track. The weather was great and it just felt good to be outside soacking in some Vitamin D3. I was hitting the ball decent, but what I learned is that knocking off the winter rust took a bit longer than expected. Another thing was playing 3 balls. I did notice that, much like a Mulligan, each shot would get better. So it was hard telling if it was the ball preforming or just my swing improving and getting the distance down by the 3rd ball. 

I will say that I found the Chrome Tour X, for the short game, was my pick of the 3. It just felt like I had more control over the pitches and chips throughout the round. Even if I hit that ball 2nd or 3rd (I always hit AVX first). 

IMG_1276Medium.jpeg.d29b26e519e5b4084897a6d4a3f0deb1.jpeg

I put a quick video together to summarize my findings. Check it out here: 

Score: 

Chrome Tour - 7/10
Chrome Tour X - 9/10

Edited by Digiburdie

Twitter: @bobbyburdette

Instagram: bobbyburdette

Got a little more time on the SIM with my 50 Degree wedge.  My short game is the strongest part of my game and all 4 balls tested performed equally well.  To be honest didn't really even notice any difference.  I warmed up hitting a lot of shots to a slightly elevated green so didn't use those results.  Then I switched to a flat range and the results are below.  The balls held up well hitting a lot of wedge shots, no marks or anything on the balls.  The distances below are right on with what I see out on the course.  As I said in my previous post, Callaway has finally produced a ball to compete with the ProV1/x, but it's going to be a hard sell to get golfers to switch since they are the same price.  Golf balls have just gotten too expensive and Titleist has a dedicated following.  The golfers with money will probably choose ProV1 and the rest not willing to pay $5/ball are going to find something else that performs well at half the price.  Of course the Buy 3 get one free deals will help out (even saw that ProV1 has a buy3/get1 deal on one website).  I have no affiliation with Sugar, but for a ball that is half the price I have found the Sugar Pure to be a great ball.  Performs just as well as the ProV1, wears well and putts well.  I bought a bunch for a charity tournament I put on and have given balls to many people I play with and they have all been impressed with the performance.

image.png.dca8df726b688233dfb7e9c1ac85f119.png

Live Life...oh and golf a lot!

In the Bag:

Driver & 3 Wood: Titleist TSi3                Hybrids: Callaway Paradym and Ping

Irons: Mizuno 225 Pro  (5-PW)               Wedges: Taylormade MG4 50*, Taylormade Hi-Toe 56*, Ping Glide 4.0 60* (Vokeys are resting downstairs right now 😁

Putter: Alternate between Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 and Scotty Cameron Phantom 12.5

4 minutes ago, TG8 said:

That is comical how bad they messed that up! LOL

Yeah really weird. I have so many golf balls now with the Callaways.

This review is from a 69 year old former South Florida PGA Club Professional with a swing speed of 98 mph and a 3.4 GHIN.  

Centered-contact and playing a draw are the two things I work on the most to keep my smash factor high and spin rate low for my driver.  I usually do not have difficulty spinning the ball enough to hold greens with irons or pitches. 

I had been using the prior generation Callaway Chrome Soft X Yellow golf ball with Triple Track lines, as well as the Titleist AVX Yellow golf ball.  I thoroughly tested Callaway’s Chrome Soft, Chrome Soft X and Chrome Soft X—LS  before settling on the Chrome Soft X.  

My only disappointment with the AVX is the lack of Triple Track lines, so I use a Sharpie to add a 270* equator line for putting and tee shot alignments.  Quite often, my iron shots will smear or remove part of the Sharpie lines and I have to re-do them if the ball is still new.  I really prefer Callaway’s Triple Track red & blue colored lines. 

My most important needs in a golf ball are low-medium driver spin, medium-high trajectory for all shots, yellow colored cover and putting lines. 

Of the two test balls we were sent, I think the prior generation Chrome Soft X looks to be the most similar to the new Chrome Tour X, although there is slightly more driver spin and a slightly firmer feel. For me, it performed fairly similar to the Titleist AVX.  The AVX was a bit longer off the tee and the Chrome Tour X felt better off the irons and short game shots.  Sound and feel are almost identical between the Chrome Tour X and the AVX.

My current golf course has crushed cochina cart paths and many natural areas, so cover durability can be an issue, and I felt that the AVX cover was more durable. Durability is irrelevant if I hit fairways and greens and I try to get four rounds out of a golf ball before retiring it.  The Chrome Tour X cover appearance has a richer luster to it, especially with the red numbers and Triple Track lines - it looks more expensive than an AVX.

I try not to make golf ball selection over-complicated because, like shafts and clubs, I could go nuts with little details that really have no effect on my score.  Once I decide which golf ball is best for my game, I stick to it.

From here on out, I could play the Chrome Tour X and feel totally comfortable.

IMG_6982.jpeg

After retiring from the PGA of America, I did some demo days and club fitting for various OEMs.