What do you do after a bad shot?

It’s still too cold out to be on the course, but I was working on my wedge shots at an indoor simulator. Things were going along well when “out of nowhere” my swing failed me and the ball shot straight right (like 22 degrees open). Instinctively I reset and tried again — although now slightly panicked. Same thing. Of course then I started over thinking and feeling even more pressure to get my swing back. It took more than a handful of shots for me to settle back in again. 

My question to the group is what do you do to “reset” after a bad shot so it’s only one bad shot and not several?

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

I am trying to play back the bad shots from today's practice. At the range, I'll take a step back and fully regather from the start if the shot is terrible, otherwise a quick reset. When my shots are bad on the wedges, I am typically quick to reset my feet and take a couple of practice swings. When I send a bad putt, I stare at the line longer than necessary. On the course, I start walking toward the next spot, already moving on from the previous shot. I guess I am an "on to the next one" type of guy.

WITB

Driver:  :taylormade-small: Qi10 Max 10.5°

Hybrid: 🐏 FX Max 25°, :titleist-small: Tsi2 21°

4i-9i: 🐏 FX Max 10

Wedges: :vokey-small: SM10 - 50° 12f, 54° 14f, 58° 14k

Putter:  :mizuno-small: M.Craft Type VI

Ball: :vice: Pro Air

Bag: Ghost Golf Maverick 14-Way 

Glove: Nexgen Nano-X Pro Tour+

For me it is simple. The next shot is the next shot. I allow myself a few minutes or seconds to thinking about what I did wrong or should have done. Take my learnings and move on. 

I don't dwell on things for long and find it easy to move on. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

I can run hot so I am doing my best to take a few deep breaths, let it go and start thinking about the next shot.

Taylormade 2016 M2 HZRDUS Smoke Green 6.5

Callaway X Forged UI 18deg Xstiff

Titleist 718 AP1 4-PW, 48 deg D200 Stiff 2 Deg Upright

Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52,56,60

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2017

4 hours ago, Hacker60521 said:

It’s still too cold out to be on the course, but I was working on my wedge shots at an indoor simulator. Things were going along well when “out of nowhere” my swing failed me and the ball shot straight right (like 22 degrees open). Instinctively I reset and tried again — although now slightly panicked. Same thing. Of course then I started over thinking and feeling even more pressure to get my swing back. It took more than a handful of shots for me to settle back in again. 

My question to the group is what do you do to “reset” after a bad shot so it’s only one bad shot and not several?

Deep breath and try to move on in your mind, its easy to say but tuff to do. Try to remember a good shot and focus

Jeff "PUTSO" Pillar

buckpillar@gmail.com

I have really struggled to let bad shots go like a "be the goldfish" from ted lasso. What I do is retake the same swing, visualise what I wanted to happen and then put the club in the bag. Retaking the swing helps me identify if I did something wrong technically it with my setup and putting the club in the bag is my mind letting go off the experience and a physical end that lets me reset psychologically. 

WITB

Epic speed driver and 5 wood

Apex 3hybrid

Apex Pro 4-pw

Vokey sm8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron golo 6.5

I don't dwell on bad shots.  I will take a step back and make a few practice swings or motions after a bad shot to get the right frame of mind and then move on down the course to make my next shot.  

:callaway-small: Paradym TD Driver w/ Ventus Blue 6S

:ping-small: 3W

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 5's (4-6) w/ KBS Tour V

:srixon-small: MKII ZX 7's (7-PW) w/ KBS Tour V

:titleist-small: Vokey Wedges 50* 54* 58*

:L.A.B.: DF2.1 Putter

I try not to dwell on the bad shot and really focus on the one in front of me.  Bad shots happen, but don’t want it to ruin a round and have that “blow-up hole” and compound an issue.

If I’m riding with someone, sometimes will skip the cart ride and walk to my ball just to take some time to get it together.  Take some deep breaths.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

As someone with a lot of bad shots due to lack of playing time/getting back into the game after a 25+ year layoff. Two points, one is when I’m on the range I try to shake it off and just set up for the next one (like others have said on this thread). And two, on the course the first few bad shops during stroke play. I just shake it off, but if it continue. Then I usually cuss out loud 😂. Thankfully I quit throwing club like in my youth. Guess in my old age I have learned some restraint. 

So I guess in a final though/my opinion to your question. Do what’s best for you, but remember that clubs cost good money and they are not getting cheaper. So hold on to them during a bad shot 😂

Thanks for asking a great question. 

I am a golfer that is getting back into the game. With luck I will get to update my lower handicap. 

Years ago, younger me, would have cussed, opened or finished a beer, and taken a few hard draws on a cigar. Back then I would have had NO idea of what I had done wrong in hitting the bad shot. The current old as dirt  me, is usually just grateful to be on this side of the grass and able to hit a bad shot. I am not happy about the bad shot by try not to let it infect the whole round. I endeavor to just let it GO. 

I used to let a bad shot ruin the hole that I was playing. I would quietly cuss and wonder why I spend so much time practicing and playing this game. Now I just shake it off and try to figure what I did wrong. Usually it is a small checklist of either I swayed off the ball or stood up in my down swing. I also take far fewer chances after making a bad shot and try to get back out to the fairway. If I get too aggressive I usually end up hitting a tree branch or a root and it adds more strokes to the hole.

Mixed bag of goodies: Taylormade M2 driver, Titleist F15 3 wood, Nike 5 wood, Mizuno 923 Hmp irons, Cleveland zipcore wedges and Odyssey 3 ball putter.

Thanks to all who have replied. I think all of you are right that I have to get out of my own head.  @shanksforthememories I forgot about the Ted Lasso “be the goldfish” line. 

Driver: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

3W: :taylormade-small: Stealth2

4H: :taylormade-small: Stealth 2

Irons 4I-9I:  :titleist-small: T200

Wedges P, 48: :titleist-small: T200

Wedges 54, 58: :titleist-small: Vokey SM9

Putter:  :odyssey-small: O Works #1 Black

Interesting article came up this morning…quite fitting:

https://golf.com/instruction/short-game/what-to-do-when-you-hit-poor-chip-play-smart/

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Driver

TaylorMade Stealth 3 wood

Titleist U510 Hybrid (3H)

TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB Irons

Vokey SM8 Wedges (52/56/60)

Odyssey Ai-ONE 7S Putter

First, I swear at myself, then step back and refocus.  Then get set to hit the shot to save the hole or take no worse than a bogey if possible, always trying to stay positive.

:Sub70:Driver : Sub70 839D

:Sub70:3 wood Sub 70 pro

:Sub70: Hybrid Sub 70 849 18*

:Sub70:Hybrid Sub 70 839 21*

:Sub70:Irons Sub 70 639 combo

:Sub70:Wedges Sub 70 659 approach 50*, 286 full face groove 54*

:seemore-small:Putter FGP

:titleist-small:Ball  Titleist AVX

Grips: Best Grips std leather

I try to focus on my address (where the ball position is, where my feet are positioned, my spine tilt, etc.) on the shot after a bad shot. That mental check is usually enough to allow me to just make a swing. 

WITB (link to detailed post here):

Driver:  Cobragolflogo.png.602fb363b272aeca0ae57ab591da02de.png LTDx 9* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff)

Fairway metals:  TITLEIST_logo_15px.png.86858562876473681822bdce0336ecd4.png 3W TSR2 14.25* (ProjectX BlueSmoke Stiff) | PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png 5W Gen4 0341XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75 S)

Hybrid: PXG_Logo.png.e8b8454bf242754d2326ecb0a719cd30.png4H Gen4 0317XF (Mitsubishi Tensei Blue 75HY S)

Irons:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 659 CB 5-AW (Project X Rifle 6.0)

Wedges:   Sub70.png.5f7ea5565c2690f7d237f327e2e5238a.png 286 54* & 58* (KBS Tour 120 S)

Putter: LABLogo_25px.png.d348c70a35f07dfed1742feb45210a2f.png DF3 OFFICIAL MEMBER REVIEW HERE ‘24

Ball:   Vice_logo.png.282566e7be35424dbb3a5d3359e6385f.png pro drip: red & blue | MAXFLI_logo_15px.png.137df4bf59bf3628d99abc6ca08fd43f.png Tour S

Pushcart:  clicgear_logo.png.5569d627daa35e79384784c8a4e886f4.png 4.0 | '23 MGS Clicgear 4.0 Pushcart Tester | Link here

I was one of those who erupted after a bad shot. With all the practice, hitting the ball well at the range, how could this happen? Oh the bad luck! Whaaa.   

Recognizing this was unhealthy & was a negative & a hinderance for my game, I tried to remedy it. It wasn't easy.  Looking back, my golf buddies were extremely tolerant of my antics.  

I read the books to try and change my mental game. A couple of books did have an impact (Every Shot Must Have a Purpose), not to mention a retired NFL QB (May he RIP) changed my mindset, especially on approach shots. So you didn't hit it inside of 10ft, you have a 20 footer for a birdie.  In your case, the worst case you walk away with a par.  He was right.  It was that simple. 

Now I look at the bad shots as a challenge.  How do I recover from the poor approach? from a plugged bunker shot?  from a pulled drive?  @TJ Hall very good article & correct, watch how the ball reacts past the hole for a hot chip around the green. That is something I do religiously.  I'm going to try & save par, tell myself I made a good chip. You're not perfect. 

Show patience in getting out of trouble.  You're not Tiger, you're probably not going to pull off hitting a 6 iron out of a bunker over water & trees from 210 yds. What are the options to give yourself a chance to save par or make a bogey at worst, then move to the next hole?

Titleist T200 Irons - 5i thru Gap Wedge - Stiff AMT Black

Callaway PARADYM X 9.0 with Hazrdous X Black 6.0 Stiff Shaft

Fairway Woods:  Callaway Maverick 3W & RazrX Black 5W - Stiff Flex

Rescue:  Apex 4 (22 degree )- Recoil 75H stiff flex 

Wedges: Titleist SM8 - 54 (D Grind) wedge flex; SM8 58(M grind) wedge flex

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X5.5

Ball: Titleist ProV1

Handicap: 0

I think one thing that I haven’t seen mentioned is to remember that the game is hard and that “bad” shots are inevitable. I laugh them off as part of the round and just move on to the next shot focusing on it with the same (not more/less) attention as before.  I have gotten better at not getting too attached to the “perfect” outcome so that whatever comes out isn’t a surprise or reflective of my entire game.

Raymond Prior is a Psych who talks about this a little for what it’s worth. 

:ping-small: g430 lst

:titleist-small: TS2 20* hybrid, New Level PF-2: P-7; 902: 6-5

:taylormade-small: hi-toe 51* and 57*

:mizuno-small: M Craft IV

A friend of a friend of mine came out to play with us.  He brings a few rat balls (junk) and if he has having a bad day, he will drop one and whack it into the woods to help reset himself. Said it helped him get the bad juju out... 😆 

WITB-

Driver  -Titleist 910D, 3w- Titleist 910F, 5hy/7hy- Titleist 910H, 6-PW - Stix , 52⁰, 56⁰, 60⁰ - Stix , Putter- AI-ONE DB / Lombardi Tour 34 custom

Just an old newbie golfer, trying to learn and improve 1 club at a time.

A lot of great advice in this thread already but I’ll add mine. If I’m at the range and hit a couple bad ones in a row I will do just as @Rob Person stated, switch clubs. This seems to help change things and get that “reset” that I’m looking for.

If I’m playing a solo round and no one is behind me, I’ll drop another ball and get that bad swing back out of my head. This works for me quite well. Yes, I still continue to play the first ball but my head is clear of the poor shot and I pick the ball from the good shot back up. 

If I’m playing with others, I suck it up and move on. The next shot is usually with a different club so it seems to reset most of the time. Sometimes it’s not easy to get that bad shot out of my head right away but, that’s post off the challenge of this great game. 

:titleist-small: TSi3 10° w/ Mitsubishi Tensei 1K Black 65g

:titleist-small: TS2 15° 3W w/ Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0 70g

:titleist-small: 818 H1 21° Hybrid w/ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-18 MMC 2 iron w/ KBS Tour C-Taper S 120g

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 HM 5-GW w/ Project X LZ 5.5 115g

:Sub70: JB Forged 54° & 58° w/ Project X LZ 6.0 120g

:EVNROLL: EV5.3 Black Official Tester Review

:BagBoy: Nitron push cart Unofficial review  

If at the range I’ll just switch clubs. But during a round my pre-shot routine sort of limits my bad shots. You know sh&t happens but this is what I do.

I use a line on my ball for tee shots and putting. On the tee, I get behind the ball and align the line on the ball with my intended target. Then at address I back up two steps and take a full practice swing looking for the club to go over a specific blade of grass. 
Then step in and pick a specific blade of grass right behind the ball. Rear back and let the club fly making sure my swing path is parallel to the line on the ball and over the blade of grass. Focusing on a smaller target makes the ball seem huge.

In the fairway I just focus on a piece of grass just in front of the ball. I let the ball get in the way of the club. 

I never let a bad shot carry over to the next shot. It’s a new opportunity that shouldn’t be wasted due to carry over stress.

:titleist-small: Driver, TSi 1 S Flex

:cobra-small: 3 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex

:cobra-small: 5 wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 7 Wood, Aerojet Max UST Helium Nanocore R Flex 

:cobra-small: 5 Hybrid King Tec MMT R Flex

:vice: Irons, Vice VGI01 Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex (6 - PW)

:vice: VGW01, 50 Degree. Mitsubishi Wiz 60-gram regular flex, 

:cobra-small: Wedges, Snakebite KBS Hi- Rev2.0 54* & 60*

Putter, Sacks Parente Drac Center Shafted 35"

image.png Ultralight 14-way Cart Bag

• 2 weeks later...

When I was younger, I used to get really, really, really hot after a bad shot… shaft snapping and helicoptered driver type hot. when playing hockey I was able to channel the anger from mistakes back into the game….. cannot really do that with golf. 

After getting an “attitude adjustment” from my mentor I adopted a more zen like attitude and resigned from “club throwers of america”….. I embraced the challenge of developing creative recovery shots. As long as I didn’t solely focus on score I enjoyed the round while learning to make creative shots. Didn’t matter that I slopped out a 92…. I did run a 100 yard 4 iron punch shot under the trees and onto the green to help save par. I successfully hit the hero flop shot over the tree onto the green, or played an intentional 5 wood bananna ball slice around the dogleg after unsuccessfully trying to cut the dogleg and having it bounce out of the trees to the edge of the fairway directly back towards the tee and on the inside of the dogleg…… yes, there were shots where I took my medicine and just chipped out to the fairway. It made rounds that were not competitive really fun. Drove my mentor nuts though cuz he was always all about “just limit the damage and take your medicine”. Ironically he would be pizzed and on a slow burn the rest of the day if he had a bad round where I could leave it at the course  

On the range, there is no bad shot, just data… If the ball doesn’t do what I am expecting I step back and replay the shot in my mind to determine why. Then I hit it again.