What is the "best" ball for an "senior/older" golfer to get an extra yard or two with their (mine) slow swing / tempo?

I am playing the Snell GET SUM now but want to hear what others are playing?   FYI - just got my SRIXON ZX-4's with senior graphite shafts - loving them.   Cheers in advance.

Retired Engineer & Club Builder

My driver swing speed is about 72-75 mph and my new favorite ball is the Maxfli Tour S.  It's the softest of their Tour line.  I find I get better driver distance than the Srixon QStar Tour, OnCore Elxir or Snell MTB Prime (my most recent balls).  When you get them in two dozen quantities, they are $30 each.   Great ball at a decent price.

I'm heading up to the mainland to get an iron fitting early next week.  I tried the Srixon ZX-4 MkII's at a demo day at our course.  I hit them well.  The only senior shaft I tried was the Helium F2.  I'm interested to see how I hit the UST Recoil and KBS Max 55 gram shafts.   If all goes well, I may be ordering them on my return.  @Ski67, which shaft did you go with?

Ping G430 Max driver 10.5 degrees with an Alta Quick45 gram senior shaft
Callaway Epic 3 wood, Project X Evenflow Green 45 gram senior shaft  
Callaway GBB Epic Heavenwood, with a Mitsubishi Diamana 50 gram senior shaft
Ping G 20.5 degree 7 wood, with a stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Ping G 26 degree hybrid, stock Alta 65 gram senior shaft
Callaway Paradym X irons, 7-AW with Aldila Ascent Blue 50 graphite shafts
Edison wedges:  50, 55 and 60 degree, KBS Tour Graphite A flex shafts
Putters:  L.A.B. Direct Force 2.1 putter, 34.5" long, 67 degrees lie

2022 MGS Tester:  Shot Scope Pro XL+ with H4  

Callaway SuperSoft is inexpensive and long.  The above mentioned Maxfli Tour S (or regular Tour) are almost as long and, IMO, better around the greens.

:callaway-small:Paradym driver

:callaway-small:Paradym X 3HL

:callaway-small:Paradym 7w

Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small:Paradym irons 6-AW

:callaway-small:Jaws Raw 54*, 58*

:odyssey-small: Versa 3T

My Titleist T300’s were fit with Fubuki MV Senior shafts. Much tighter dispersion than other tested shafts. Last month been gaming the Maxfli Tour S in yellow. 

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I'm 64 with driver swing speed of 80.  Found the Taylormade Tour Response to be the best for me.  Was using Callaway Supersoft for several years but the Taylormade gives me more yardage.  And have to use the yellow to see it in flight.

Callaway Paradym X 10.5 set to 11.5

Callaway Paradym 3+ wood

Callaway Paradym X 3/4/5 hybrid

Mizuno 923JPX irons 6-W Dynamic Gold 95 w/ProSoft dampeners

Cleveland CBX2 48, 52, 56

Cleveland Huntington Beach 6

TaylorMade tour response is another good option! 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

On 4/6/2024 at 11:51 AM, Golf2Much said:

My driver swing speed is about 72-75 mph and my new favorite ball is the Maxfli Tour S.  It's the softest of their Tour line.  I find I get better driver distance than the Srixon QStar Tour, OnCore Elxir or Snell MTB Prime (my most recent balls).  When you get them in two dozen quantities, they are $30 each.   Great ball at a decent price.

I'm heading up to the mainland to get an iron fitting early next week.  I tried the Srixon ZX-4 MkII's at a demo day at our course.  I hit them well.  The only senior shaft I tried was the Helium F2.  I'm interested to see how I hit the UST Recoil and KBS Max 55 gram shafts.   If all goes well, I may be ordering them on my return.  @Ski67, which shaft did you go with?

What shaft did you get set up with in the Paradym testing?

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

23 minutes ago, billpierce said:

What shaft did you get set up with in the Paradym testing?

The stock Aldila Ascent PL Blue 50 light shaft.

6 hours ago, Golf2Much said:

The stock Aldila Ascent PL Blue 50 light shaft.

Is there any others they considered for slower swing speeds? Or that is the shaft they used for slow speeds?

Why Srixon the Paradym not meeting expectations? Too high lofted?

Callaway  Driver

Mizuno JPX Irons

Ping Putter w/ modified grip

image.png

The most recent ball test had the Vice Pro Plus as the longest ball for low swing speed driver (85mph). Would be amongst the better value options too.

Cobra F9 9.5° (Hzrdus Yellow X)

Cobra Speedzone 15° (Tensei Blue X)

Srixon H85 19° (Hzrdus Black 85 6.0)

Mizuno MP20 MMC 4-PW (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Mizuno T20 51°, 55°, 59° (KBS $ Taper 120S)

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 34"

Srixon ZStar

3 hours ago, billpierce said:

Is there any others they considered for slower swing speeds? Or that is the shaft they used for slow speeds?

Why Srixon the Paradym not meeting expectations? Too high lofted?

When each of us worked to establish our Callaway Paradym test iron specifications, needed to pick from their stock shaft options.  The Aldila was their only senior graphite shaft available, so it made the decision easy.

If you look at the Paradym X specifications, they have lower lofts when compared to other comparable irons.  Before the Paradym X's I played Ping G30's.  Here's the comparable lofts:

image.png.195ce8c3aef51b1dc56fe550c9aa0853.png

When I look at the performance distances (as measure with my Shot Scope data), the Paradym X 7 iron loft and distance was similar to the Ping G30 6 iron loft and distance.  The same relationship continued down the whole set of irons.  Overall, I tended to hit these irons on a much lower trajectory than the comparably lofted Ping G30.  If I remember correctly, the other testers found they got a desired higher overall trajectory.  I was the odd one out.  

image.png.b27ad23d0ec1cea7dd94e29ec4bf56c1.png  image.png.e4c1a44be8e34bf397e8fd8ca1f291a4.png

My home course in an old-style Rees Jones design which includes small greens, false fronts and generally requiring higher trajectory iron shots to get the ball to hold.  For me, with my low 60's seven iron swing speed, I had trouble creating the height and spin to get the balls to stay on the green.  So, I started looking for a replacement set of irons which included the Srixon ZX4 MkII's.  For my Srixon iron testing, I tried the Helium F2 (at the demo days at my home course), UST Recoil and KBS Max 45 (at Golf Galaxy).  For me, I found the KBS Max 45 shaft (with some length and lie adjustments) gave me more consistent dispersion, slightly higher launch and better overall feel.  

The Get Sum is a 2-piece ball. 2 piece balls are essentially just a price point ball. I think why so many golfers of certain generations became bump & run short game players was because so many played 2 piece balls that have low spin. Its a myth that skill determines ball type. Its really budget and needs. If you want to increase distance, you usually need to go harder. If you want to be able to stop the ball with spin or work the ball flight, you'll need a 3 piece ball.

A 3 piece ball will get you the performance you want but 3 piece balls cost more. If you're a low spin driver looking for the lowest possible cost, its Kirkland. If you're not a Costco member or need lower spin, you're better off with TaylorMade Tour Response or Maxfli Tour S. Both are about $40/dozen but the Maxfli you can regularly buy in bulk around $120 for 4 dozen.

Driver:  Wilson Staff Cortex 9* Atmos Blue 6

3 Wood: Walter Hagen AWX

5 Wood:  Walter Hagen AWX

4 Hybrid: TaylorMade Aeroburner 

Irons 5-AW: TaylorMade Aeroburner HL 

Sand Wedge:   Wilson Harmonized 56*

Putter:   Wilson Staff Infinite Bucktown 34"